Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just my perspective...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Just my perspective...

Sep 29, 2019, 7:24 PM

(usual quoz Long Post warning. As ever, if you mislike many many words, Twitter's thataway. ----> )

I wasn't thrilled myself with how Clemson played this past month. But, if you've read any of my posts, for years a goodly number of them have included the words "Dabo's teams are always lousy in September for whatever reason."

Actually there's some obvious reasons - namely, that we play a gazillion players and that disrupts continuity and leads to a bunch of new-player mistakes, especially in Septembers, and then there's the fact that Tony Elliott's playcalling early on in seasons is so vanilla you can literally fit it on a dinner napkin...which, again, is exactly what happens when you're generating a gameplan that you have to get those 75 guys you're planning on playing - many of whom are new - prepped and repped and comfortable with. Plus...why show stuff early? Clemson always plans on a 15-game schedule anyhow, and Dabo & Company have always been more than willing to let other teams win the style points in September; they'll save their good stuff for November and December, thank you, and their very best stuff for January.

Still, this is obviously not a team firing on all cylinders right now. Should we worry?

Maybe a bit. A little fear and introspection is healthy after a good scare. There's some obvious holes we haven't filled yet - namely, we need a slot or a weapon at TE to emerge so we can better exploit the middle, and we've been a below-average team on third down because of that. Honestly among our receivers only Tee Higgins has really looked great; Justin Ross clearly isn't 100% and Amari Rogers has been hot and cold since his return. Ladsen and Ngata have flashed but aren't finished products yet. Our DL depth - especially at DT - is still iffy though the new guys are starting to emerge. And Trevor hasn't been awful but he has been pretty "meh" by Trevor's standards. So there's work to do.

I also think we're the hunted now, and that matters. Teams get up for us. Opposing fans show up for us and scream and yell and there's no downside for the other team because we're #1 and the 400-pound gorilla in the room; we're supposed to win and that means even keeping it close is a win for them. And coordinators are really familiar with us now because they've seen us in the playoffs about eighty times over the last five years...you know, when they were at home with nothing else to do but watch the truly big boys play. When The Chad brought his spread HUNH only Clemson and Auburn were running it; now it's everywhere in college football and defenses are adapting: going lighter, faster, and more multiple, disguising their coverages better, and they're leaning the right way on our RPO stuff nowadays, especially those tunnel screens. That happens when you win two out of the last three Natties, people pick up on your stuff.

Still - historically, though, we tend to do better once we hit October and really hit our stride in November. Keep in mind also football is as much about attrition as it is about x's and o's, and our depth really starts kicking in right about now and factoring huge in games later on - our guys actually already had notably less wear and tear and miles on their tires than UNC did because we do play so many guys and spread the abuse around. If it happens that we see UNC again at the end of November we will boat-race them. God, as they say, is almost always on the side of the big battalions.

So...panic? Not really. But we also clearly aren't the #1 team in the country at the moment, and that's probably a healthy place to be as well. Comfort is, as Nick Saban likes to say, rat poison to greatness. We're 5-0 and still very much in it, but we also aren't going to win any natties playing like we're playing and the players and staff will be very aware there's a lot of work to do between here and November.

At the end of the day, though - nobody wins any trophies in September, though you can lose them there. We didn't.

So let the talking heads talk. That's what they're paid to do, after all...and we hear this same stuff every September. Literally. But let's see who's still standing come playoff time. I will say I'd rather be us than Alabama - they're not running the ball well (they're only 57th in the country in rushing!) and their D just allowed 31 points to Mississippi State and is presently just 38th in the country (we're eighth!), and that's not a team that even makes the playoffs, much less wins them. And Tua is Tua - lethal when he can deal the ball around on slants to his fleet-footed wideouts and stand in the pocket and bomb away downfield, but he still predetermines where he's going with the ball before it's snapped and that'll kill him at some point too...whereupon there's only the #38-ranked D in the country and the #57 running game behind him to bail him out. That ain't your typical Nick Saban team, not even close. Whereas we pretty much look exactly like the usual Dabo team in September...which is to say, that big metaphorical big-block V-8 that roars in spots and sputters in others, and definitely is in need of a tune-up.

Just my. 02 worth.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if quoz is worried then

Sep 29, 2019, 7:29 PM

I am worried...?? just a bit

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thx much & again Q!

Sep 29, 2019, 7:45 PM

We're going to be undefeated & should be in top 4 in CFP but I fear we may not win the semi game..and if we do lose the final.

Hope not, and we may not!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just my perspective...

Sep 29, 2019, 7:38 PM

I didn’t read all that but it obvious what other coaches are seeing.
I think the Tiger O will get it together but the D has got to get better stopping the run.
When or if we ever play a team with a pulse that D-line has got to start tackling better.
A team with a couple good RBs would 5-6 yard us to death.

Exactly. ***

Sep 29, 2019, 7:39 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 29, 2019, 7:52 PM

Not really worried. But we did very much look beatable yesterday. My biggest concern is that I don’t really know how talented our people are on defense. With Wilkins, Ferrel, Lawrence, Bryant, Huggins, Joseph, Lamar, and reserves like the Davis twins, Williams, etc ( all of whom are no longer here), I knew that no one would show up and run the ball down our throats, grinding out the clock, and burning up first downs and long drives. Last year we had a big time talent and quality depth.

Our defense has looked great this year but I am not sure whether it has more to do with coaching and schemes as opposed to reliable talent / experience.
Isaiah Simmons by the way is an incredible talent. Really have enjoyed watching him unfold.

Just glad that we came away with a win yesterday. Trust the system and trust the coaches. Looking forward To 13-0 and another playoff run. Hoping we won’t see another nailbiter until January.

An informed perspective & a good read****

Sep 29, 2019, 7:55 PM

Sep 29, 2019, 7:56 PM

Thanks for rational insights to Tiger play to date … and tie-in to other seasons. Great read!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 8:02 PM

Thanks quoz! As always.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but QUOZZEL

Sep 29, 2019, 8:02 PM

We have all the 4 & 5 stars in the world!

We should never have a close game!

The BIG BAD SEC would EAT OUR LUNCH RIGHT NOW!

IF WE DON'T SCORE MORE THAN 40 POINTS AGAIN AND SHUT OUT THE OTHER TEAM WE SUCK!

bahahaha thanks for the write-up, Quozz. Awesome stuff as usual.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 8:09 PM

You stated everything that I would have liked to state; but you are so much more eloquent and knowledgeable.

Any comments on the play of the a) offensive line yesterday and b) specifically the blocking schemes we were using - one of the announcers noted that ETN should not be blocking their best player?

Sep 29, 2019, 8:58 PM

They were right, that kid played the game of his life. Unfortunately, gwill would have been all over that imo.

I too would love to hear quoz’s take or anyone more knowledgeable than I. Muse being out in the second half hurt us on that last drive.

I’d also like to know what happened on unc’s second td when the rb was left uncovered. We cover that play and hold them to a fg would have been big mo for us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2019, 8:20 PM

They always remember November. We are good, we always turn it on during the championship phase of the season.

A very sane post, which is counter to 90% of current posts***

Sep 29, 2019, 8:27 PM

Ole Miss put 31 on them....with the 61st ranked offense in

Sep 29, 2019, 8:51 PM

the country...

Sep 29, 2019, 9:02 PM

This post just got me fired up! Thanks Quoz! Great post! I love this family, Dabo is the man. This team is gonna be so good come playoff time.

Sep 29, 2019, 9:17 PM

Nice post. And I'm not worried. I've seen this movie before.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Sep 29, 2019, 9:28 PM

Once again, good stuff quozzel.

Sep 29, 2019, 10:39 PM

Thank you for bringing us back from the edge....

+1 for great analysis as usual Quoz!! Go Tigers! ***

Sep 30, 2019, 10:28 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 10:58 AM

Ole Miss....not Miss St - Bama let Ole Miss put up that many pts on them. And did you see how many Vandy put up on LSU. Every team has their flaws.

Good read though Quoz, thanks for posting it.

'Tis Twue. The talking heads make the same noise every

Sep 30, 2019, 11:08 AM

September. I think what it really is, is class snobbery. They still just cannot believe that a small little town like Clemson can produce a legitimate dynasty in college football. It is an insult to their preconceived notions about who SHOULD be great. We should be a flash in the pan that has gone away by now, and the fact that it ain't happening upsets their narrative every year.

Great post, but do have one concern

Sep 30, 2019, 12:03 PM

I have enjoyed your posts as they are usually spot on, and this is a good one. I pretty much agree with everything you have said, but do have one concern.

In 2016 we had some continuity from the previous year, in particular with DW4 at the QB position. 2017 was Bryant's year, and 2018 was the 4 game two QB experiment until TL finally won the job. 2019 is the first year where we have this situation of continuity again at the QB position, and in this case we have almost the entire starting offense back.

So one could conclude that although we may not kill it out of the gate, it's not a stretch to believe we should be pretty dang good on offense. The numbers show that we have been decent for the most part, but there is just something going on I can't put my finger on that just doesn't seem to be right.

There's been a lot of sloppy play with penalties and dropped balls by the WRs (with the exception of Higgins), the O-line is not opening up holes for the RBs at times and probably the most concerning is TL has lost his mojo not unlike Austin Powers. This lackadaisical attitude almost seems to be an endemic issue that has affected the whole offense.

I say all this just to vent as I'm not gonna complain about the team, or call for coaches heads, or anything ridiculous like that. The way the offense is playing with what we returned is just a head scratcher to me right now.

Re: Great post, but do have one concern

Sep 30, 2019, 1:42 PM

Exactly, other than one OL and one WR. .we have the same offense. So I would not have expected the amount of offensive problems. Defense, yes.

I agree, and looking at the numbers we seems to put

Sep 30, 2019, 1:11 PM

we seem to put it all together in November:

average margin of victory by month:
Sep - 21
Oct - 48
Nov - 33
Dec/Jan - 29 (Won Championship)

Sep - 26
Oct - 8
Nov - 27
Dec/Jan - 8.5 (Lost semi-final)

Sep - 23
Oct - 17
Nov - 26
Dec/Jan - 18 (Won Championship)

September number skewed by huge wins over bad teams like SC state, etc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 1:45 PM

I think tony Elliot needs to hand playcalling duty solely to Jeff Scott

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic