Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pandora’s Box has officially been opened.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 86
| visibility 1

Pandora’s Box has officially been opened.

Sep 30, 2019, 10:40 AM

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/california-governor-signs-law-allowing-college-athletes-to-be-paid-for-name-image-and-likeness-as-ncaa-protests/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The ugly can of worms has officially been opened.

Sep 30, 2019, 10:43 AM

And they will not be allowed to compete in the NCAa's

Sep 30, 2019, 10:46 AM

Not allowed to compete in the NCAA's??? Explain.

Sep 30, 2019, 10:52 AM

A paid players loses his amateur status and eligibility. Therefore if he plays a game, the school forfeits the game. If the school pays the players, their can no longer compete against NCAA teams.

The article says the law was written to give

Sep 30, 2019, 11:04 AM

Student athletes the ability to sue if the NCAA doesn't allow them to play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: The article says the law was written to give

Sep 30, 2019, 11:16 AM

I believe student athletes have always had that power.

The ability to file a lawsuit does not mean they will win the lawsuit.

Also legal tendencies show that the players who file the lawsuit would likely miss out on most of their eligibility to play in the postseason by the time the decision was made.

I believe some Northwestern athletes tried to sue a few years ago to be treated as employees and the court ruled that employee/employer rules did not apply to student athletes.

Anything could change but it would not likely be a quick decision to overturn current NCAA rules.

If I remember correctly the northwestern lawsuit

Sep 30, 2019, 11:21 AM

Was through the unions ...and the judge ruled that Illinois union laws didn't apply to college athletes.

This law does. .. ...and it is California. Half the laws they have were written solely to file civil suits. They don't want to protect any thing... just want money.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: If I remember correctly the northwestern lawsuit

Sep 30, 2019, 11:45 AM

You are correct.

I would still be shocked if a quick decision was made in the event of an athlete choosing to file a lawsuit against the NCAA.

Re: If I remember correctly the northwestern lawsuit

Oct 1, 2019, 4:12 PM

The players have every right to accept pay, and when they do that it is a clear choice they make on their own to give up “amateur status”.
The NCAA in no way infringes on their rights by disqualifying them from NCAA competition, as the amateur requirement has always been a part of the rules of participation.
ANY ATHLETE is free to make his/her decision to accept financial remuneration at any time and they do so knowing how it affects their status.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 11:19 AM [ in reply to The article says the law was written to give ]

That doesn’t mean they will win.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 12:42 PM [ in reply to The article says the law was written to give ]

NCAA is a private, nongovernmental organization and participation in it is voluntary. The member schools sign on an agree to abide by its rules. Just like a home owners association.

Without the school, the athlete has no notoriety to profit from.

Good luck with that lawsuit.

Sep 30, 2019, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Re: The ugly can of worms has officially been opened. ]

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/09/13/ncaa-california-college-athletics

On threatening to ban California colleges and universities from NCAA championships

“I don't know that it's meant to be a threat as much as it's a statement of fact, which is that if you have a situation where California has arguably a competitive advantage over the other 49 states in recruiting student athletes, then I think that it throws into question the fundamental fairness of the competition. And that's what we're focused on here. First and foremost, we're focused on the health and well-being of the student athletes. But then the championships are the NCAA and the country's way of manifesting that competition in the most fair way. And if California is operating under a different set of rules, that does not allow the competition to unwind fairly.”

Was there a law forbidding athletes being paid?***

Sep 30, 2019, 10:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was there a law forbidding athletes being paid?***

Sep 30, 2019, 10:54 AM

No, I don’t see why liberals are obsessed with the law and government having control over everything

Sep 30, 2019, 11:55 AM

The gubment does have control over everything in this country , and it has nothing to do with any one party .

DB23

Sep 30, 2019, 12:24 PM

"...and it has nothing to do with any one party . " - Usually I agree with you, but IMO, it has a great deal to do with the liberals (AKA the Democrat Party). But, that's JMO based on many years of watching how they deal with issues.

Sep 30, 2019, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Was there a law forbidding athletes being paid?*** ]

No, I don’t see why liberals are obsessed with the law and government having control over everything

How does that give the "government" control? It actually gives control back to the player. This is the ultimate form of free-market economics, actually...it's basically anti-trust, breaking up an artificial monopoly and artificial salary cap maintained by the NCAA.

And ultimate consequence would likely be to make the rich richer anyhow, since athletes at the most successful Universities - you know, like Trevor, and Etienne, and the crazy-marketable "Power Rangers" from last year - would have been the ones who benefited most.

Grump all you want, but this probably benefits Clemson. Some might say: "this benefits big market teams"...that is actually incorrect, since big-market sports landscapes are crowded with professional teams. What it really benefits is highly successful small-market teams (like Clemson!) that have a huge local following and no local pro athletes to root for.

It probably cements Clemson as a superpower for the foreseeable future. And we're going to argue with this?

I agree to a point...

Sep 30, 2019, 12:11 PM

I agree that the name, image, and likeness legislation would probably benefit schools like Clemson, at least as long as Dabo is here.

But as I alluded to earlier in this thread, if the legislation were to ever expand to the point where the schools are paying the athletes directly (and several states are already considering this), that will hurt Clemson badly because there are very few schools (Clemson included) that can offer players the kind of money schools like Texas, Ohio State, etc can.

Clemson winning foosball games is not

Sep 30, 2019, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Was there a law forbidding athletes being paid?*** ]

The be all factor in determing what is right or wrong.

Sep 30, 2019, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Was there a law forbidding athletes being paid?*** ]

I agree that ultimately it is going to be an antitrust lawsuit, for the California public colleges. I think for schools like Stanford, there will be suit based on restriction of interstate commerce which is delegated to the Federal government.

The hard part for California will be that it is not the NCAA's rule restricting them from going to the NFL. It will be a stretch in my opinion to argue that the NCAA cannot impose rules for participation when there is no requirement, at least by the NCAA preventing the individual from pursuing a pro career.

Sep 30, 2019, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Was there a law forbidding athletes being paid?*** ]

It kills college football because athletes will gravitate to the $. Small schools won't be able to compete and drop their programs. No football = no Olympic type sports. No sports = no athletic scholarships.

What we'll be left with is a College football environment like professional baseball. A few big market teams will control the landscape. That's why baseball is dying as a sport.

If the kid wants to go pro, go pro. Until then, you are an amateur.

That would also require changing NFL regulations to allow

Sep 30, 2019, 1:25 PM

18 year olds to play professionally - perhaps in conjunction with a minor league football system.

And is CFB really an amateur sport? It seems to me like the only thing amateur about is the athletes themselves. Every other aspect of the sport is dripping with money and professionalism.

This isn't the NFL's problem.***

Sep 30, 2019, 1:35 PM

Just saying if kids should be allowed to play professional

Sep 30, 2019, 1:39 PM

football rather than college football, that would require a league that allowed players under the age of 21 or whatever it is right now (3 years removed from HS?).

Re: This isn't the NFL's problem.***

Sep 30, 2019, 4:37 PM [ in reply to This isn't the NFL's problem.*** ]

This is 100% an NFL problem. Currently there is no league available for college players to be paid because of the NFL age restrictions. The NFL is using the NCAA as a developmental program for free. The NCAA was never designed to be a developmental program and is no place for players who are only interested in being paid.

null

Re: This isn't the NFL's problem.***

Sep 30, 2019, 5:36 PM

The NFL has those age restrictions so people don't die.

Think back to Mike Bellamy. Had the NFL allowed kids straight out of high school you can assume he would've went, being a high profile 5 star. He would have died taking a hand off with JJ Watt destroying him.

Now, if there was a "developmental" league, it will take much more than just salaries for players. It takes stadium usage, coaches salary, and most importantly, owners and cities.

We've seen leagues like the AAF, which had 8 teams (120ish colleges), and couldn't last a season.

So, if you had an NFL sanctioned "developmental league" and players gravitated to that, you're effectively killing college football again, until that league folds, but at that point you have players that have no NCAA eligibility that will not be on NFL rosters (because they're in a developmental league).

I think the NFL is doing just fine, and they will continue on without a problem. The NFL age restriction is for player safety more than anything else.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly I think it would benefit schools like Bama,

Sep 30, 2019, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Was there a law forbidding athletes being paid?*** ]

Ohio State, Texas, etc more. Clemson still has a looooong way to go to catch up in terms of fan base.

Wouldn't it also open things up for billionaire benefactors like Phil knight and the former T Boone pickens to just buy teams? Currently they can only have an indirect effect on recruiting by donating tens of millions for facility upgrades, but this could allow them to just establish a fund at the university to pay players.

Sure some players will make millions for playing college

Sep 30, 2019, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Was there a law forbidding athletes being paid?*** ]

football but most won't be able to make much more than the 1-2 hundred thousand that they make now through full scholarship, room and board and legal extras.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on. There's a huge difference between being given

Oct 1, 2019, 9:40 AM

100 grand worth of stuff and actually being given 100 grand. Free room and board is great, not denying that, but the value of a college education varies greatly from one person to the next. For some student athletes the education is literally worthless. And no matter how valuable that education ends up being down the road, it does nothing for the kids that come from insanely poor families during the 3-5 years they are in school.

Lets also be honestly here, quite a few of these kids are being guided through college by support staff so that they can remain eligible for sports and aren't actually learning anything in the process.

Re: Pandora’s Box has officially been opened.

Sep 30, 2019, 10:50 AM

Goes into effect 1/1/2023. Lotta gnashing on the way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You don't get control of the game when you're air-balling layups." - Brent Venables

The PAC-12 gets four years

Sep 30, 2019, 11:00 AM

To find the four replacement school...or revert back to the PAC-8 of old.

And all of the California schools can create their own 'Pandora Conference' with schools in Mexico.

Re: The PAC-12 gets four years

Sep 30, 2019, 11:18 AM

This is such a slippery slope. Right now, this is about player name, image, and likeness. If it stays this way, the consequences stay relatively minor (limited to ineligible players and vacated/forfeited games in which those players played). But there are already considerations being made in multiple state legislatures to allow schools to pay payers directly. If this happens, assuming the NCAA holds its ground, lawsuits pertaining to this issue will go all the way to the Supreme Court. It will be up to SCOTUS to determine the fate of the NCAA's existence...and if they rule against the NCAA, that's the end of college sports as we know it. It will be the wild west where anything goes. Recruiting will turn into bidding wars, and only the richest programs will survive while the rest go bankrupt.

Just another reason Californica should be kicked out of

Sep 30, 2019, 10:57 AM

the Union. A disproportionate part of this country's problems emanate from that fetid trash dump of a state. See Nancy Pelosi as Exhibit A.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^TU for your poast!

Sep 30, 2019, 11:01 AM

Word of the day! Fetid! :)

Re: ^^TU for your poast!

Sep 30, 2019, 11:20 AM

I do be have command of Enlish language. :)

"disproportionate"?

Sep 30, 2019, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Just another reason Californica should be kicked out of ]

they do have the largest population though

Re: "disproportionate"?

Sep 30, 2019, 11:55 AM

They have about 12% of the nation's population, and contribute about 90% of the nation's problems, at least via Congress. Again, Nancy Pelosi, Exhibit A.

Re: "disproportionate"?

Sep 30, 2019, 12:40 PM

They also have the 5th largest economy IN THE WORLD. When we stop taking money from them to solve our problems, then maybe they can start to give a crap what we think about the way they choose to run their state.

5th largest economy IN THE WORLD can't achieve solvency

Sep 30, 2019, 1:40 PM

because of their nutty policies, but sure hold them up as a shining light.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Solvency?

Oct 1, 2019, 4:08 PM

Like the rest of the USA?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NCAA should counter with legislation eliminating.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:05 AM

The reduced academic eligibility rules for athletes.

Re: The NCAA should counter with legislation eliminating.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:10 AM

Does the ncaa get paid for these rights to use players now in video games etc? What exactly is the ncaa budget?

Non profit. It is like the nfl

Sep 30, 2019, 11:17 AM

NCAA doesn't make money.. the people working for the NCAA do.

All the money is distributed to the conference and then to the schools. Most of it is put right back into the school... buildings ...and scholarships.

The only people who are truly making money are the top coaches.

I'm sure many coaches make less than the value of a 4 year scholarship .

Re: The NCAA should counter with legislation eliminating.

Sep 30, 2019, 4:53 PM [ in reply to Re: The NCAA should counter with legislation eliminating. ]

They stopped using players names/likenesses about 5 years ago, IIRC.

I'm lost on this, much clarification needed:

Sep 30, 2019, 11:13 AM

I assume "name, image, likeness" does NOT include any logo or reference to the university on their jersey or anywhere else. Or you've got a serious problem of trademark violation. That's a big deal.

So let's say Trevor wants to make money off his pic - but he can't use Clemson's logo or tiger paw in the pic, or even on a jersey. That belongs to and has been created by Clemson University. (and is, in fact, much of the reason he is enjoying success - the university has given him that opp. through their marketing machine)

If Trevor wants to go sell lemonade and put his picture on the cup, so be it, no problem.

To me, that's the biggest sticking point of the whole thing - using the University's logo to make money for yourself.

It would include things like autographs, use of their name

Sep 30, 2019, 1:32 PM

and such in video games (NCAA franchise, etc), tv commercials, etc.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:16 AM

You lose the collegiate athlete part when our head coach makes the comment he will quit if athletes are paid while he receives a 750,000 direct deposit once a month. Easy enough to say that then. I love what dabo has done for us, the coaches don’t go on the field and do permanent damage to themselves. If we’re going to say it’s college sports, you shouldn’t be able to charge $110 for one football ticket. NFL games face value is never more then $85 for the cheapest seat...

I gotta agree. Coach should never make more

Sep 30, 2019, 11:25 AM

Than the lowest professional coach in the same field...

Or should never make more than the president of the school.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Pandora’s Box has officially been opened. ]

That’s great, but if this becomes standard, Clemson football is dead. Stars will go to bigger schools, OSU, Southern Cal, etc.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wont die.. will be Harvard vs yale.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:44 AM

I'm cool with that.

Re: Wont die.. will be Harvard vs yale.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:54 AM

Is Ivy League excluded from this law? I doubt it.

The quality of football may drop... but

Sep 30, 2019, 12:15 PM

It would not die at clemson.

Nah, too many big donors from those IVY league schools

Sep 30, 2019, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Wont die.. will be Harvard vs yale. ]

would be furious if big money was funneled to athletics and away from academics.

Sep 30, 2019, 5:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Pandora’s Box has officially been opened. ]

At the same time that coach is working pretty much year round, 60-80 hours a week.

When the athletes are on summer break (unless they choose to stay in school) the coaches are studying film, recruiting, spending time away from family, etc.

To act like coaching doesn't take a lot away from someone is ridiculous. Are they paid well? Yes. Is their job easy? Hell no.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:20 AM

Here is the problem.... the NCAA should still be able to drop whole-sale programs. So say hello to either the NAIA or new "association". There is no requirement than any school participate in the NCAA.

Next, the item would be that the NCAA would full-stop using player's images and then look to schools to enforce any player trying to use the school's logo or colors to prevent a player from using a brand.

Of course, the easiest way to nerf the whole thing is to provide all players of all sports a % cut for all endorsement deals. Thus the "TL16" player get the same cut as the womens 100m backstroker. I am fine keeping this in a trust payable upon graduation as a way to promote graduation. Does not matter if it is UCLA or Wake or Charlotte. IF someone plays D1 NCAA sports, at the time of graduation, they get the cut based on the years they were eligible to play (no pay for redshirt or transfer years).

Ban them from postseason play.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:22 AM

Or take them off the schedule completely. I certainly wont waste my time watching a California collegiate league.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2019/09/26/ohio-state-athletic-director-ncaa-drop-california-if-bill-passes/3778683002/

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Changed opinion

Sep 30, 2019, 11:43 AM

I used to be totally against any form of payment towards any student-athlete, but I am in support of the California bill. The reason I support it is the basic argument that any student, athlete or not, should be able to make money. This is no different from the non-athletes finding working while in school to make extra money. I did. And who are we to say that we should stop a Trevor Lawrence or an Travis Etienne from getting extra money if someone comes up to them and offer them money to be in a commercial and promote their product?

And I don't think that the NCAA's answer of "we're not going to include your state in any postseason" or even "we won't let the teams in your state play with us" is the answer.

I think that the NCAA might actually have to come up with a real solution this time. They've been punting problems and provided inconsistent rules and penalties for year, but I think this bill will force their hand.

Now for the record, I am against the bill in New York where they are trying to make college pay the student-athletes (all of them) something like 15% of what the athletic program is making.

Did any1 offer you $1000 a week job

Sep 30, 2019, 11:47 AM

Watching water drip.......... if you committed to UCLA?

Re: Did any1 offer you $1000 a week job

Sep 30, 2019, 11:53 AM

No, but who are you say that someone else should not?

Again if you can be athletic and someone ask them to be on a commercial for $1000 a week, do you think you should have the right to tell them no?

Meanwhile, it's okay for the regular students to go get whatever jobs they can without getting in trouble.

How is that fair.

Bout as fair as some professor saying I have

Sep 30, 2019, 12:04 PM

To get up at 8am to take his class.

Bout as fair as a kid with a 1100 SAT score and top of his class getting rejected while another kid gets accepted with a 700 sat score and a full ride scholarship worth over 300 grand.

Or a basketball ball player getting a free trip to Italy while another student struggles to buy his oodles of noodles.

Or the Po po telling me I can't have me heroin.

Kinda like that...stupid rules.

Re: Bout as fair as some professor saying I have

Sep 30, 2019, 12:28 PM

Well, rules are in place for a reason.

And this bill in California has been signed.

Like it or not, it's going to happen.

Yes in 3 years..

Sep 30, 2019, 12:38 PM

At the time I'll decide if I want to continue to contribute to clemson athletics or not.

Sep 30, 2019, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Did any1 offer you $1000 a week job ]

Regular students have little time to work jobs. Not sure when you went to school, but when I went, I had no time to work period..

And when I did work which was be a ref for intramural games it was 9 dollars an hour. Trust me they will make sure athletes are paid way more than that. It's bs and I still have my student loan debt yet these kids go into the workforce with an education and no debt to deal with.

Sep 30, 2019, 12:25 PM

I found the time as a full-time student, if I wanted to have some extra money without asking my parents.

So just because you're still paying for your loan debt and someone else is not, should that give you the right to stop someone else from making more money? I don't think so.

So a beautiful female student gets offered $4000 wear a pair for jeans. Should you be able to stop that's not right because you're only making $9 an hour? I don't think so.

And obviously the California governor doesn't think so either. And guess what? Others are looking into it, like the states of North Carolina and South Carolina.

Sep 30, 2019, 12:33 PM

I found the time as a full-time student, if I wanted to have some extra money without asking my parents.

So just because you're still paying for your loan debt and someone else is not, should that give you the right to stop someone else from making more money? I don't think so.

So a beautiful female student gets offered $4000 wear a pair for jeans. Should you be able to stop that's not right because you're only making $9 an hour? I don't think so.

And obviously the California governor doesn't think so either. And guess what? Others are looking into it, like the states of North Carolina and South Carolina.

Should you be able to stop her? Just because you're only making $9 an hour, that doesn't give you the right.

Its like you posted.. rules are rules

Sep 30, 2019, 12:42 PM

And people choose them...so some 1 has the right to tell us all what is allowed and not allowed. In this case thes NCAA has that right. The student has the right to reject or accept.

This is a law

Sep 30, 2019, 3:04 PM

This is not just an NCAA rule.

Re: This is a law

Sep 30, 2019, 3:28 PM

The law also allows me to violate the rules of my homeowners' association. That doesn't mean the HOA can't show me the door.

Sep 30, 2019, 4:06 PM

And my HOA would do the same.

But what would the HOA do if many of their resident want something and if they don't get it, they leave? Even worse, that those vacated homes become less attractive to buyers? Does the HOA stick to their stance?

We'll certainly see what the NCAA will do, and they have 3 years.

All I'm saying is that I don't believe that the NCAA kicking schools out or not playing in a state with this new law is the right answer. If that's what the NCAA wants, we'll see how long they hold out until their bottom line ($$$$$) start to suffer.

I want to say the NCAA is controlled by

Sep 30, 2019, 4:57 PM

The conference commissioners, school ADs, or the school presidents...

So the California ADs ...and presidents will likely be all for it.

Sep 30, 2019, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: This is a law ]

I don’t think the NCAA has to do anything. Just enforce the rules they already have.

If a kid in Cali gets paid for selling autographs then they become ineligible, forfeit their wins that the player participated in, probation, post-season bans, etc.

If they try to ban Cali schools or stop playing there then there will be basis for antitrust cases which they would probably lose.

Oct 1, 2019, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Re: This is a law ]

Yes they can. An HOA can foreclose on you if you don't pay your dues wich is a violation of HOA's

According to google... a law is a rule

Sep 30, 2019, 3:34 PM [ in reply to This is a law ]

So.... there's that

Plus everyone had rules

HoA
City
County
State
Fed

The United states government hasn't legalized marijuana in any state. At any time the feds can bust into a California weed shop and shut that mother down, confiscate everything, and throw the owner's in the pokie.

They don't care if California passed a rule or not.

Re: According to google... a law is a rule

Sep 30, 2019, 4:13 PM

Okay, well I guess we'll see what the NCAA will do, huh?

We'll see just how stringent the NCAA will be, especially since other states are already considering this law.

Re: According to google... a law is a rule

Sep 30, 2019, 4:19 PM [ in reply to According to google... a law is a rule ]

Glad your google works.

I'm talking about this bill now becoming a state law, not some NCAA rule.

We'll see who's going to blink. The California governor already said FU to the NCAA, and that's why he signed this bill.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:50 AM

The way the article reads, California student athletes can still compete but will be banned from championships sanctioned by the NCAA.

"if college athletes in California profit off their name, image and likeness, they could be found in violation of the organization's longstanding amateurism rules. If that were ruled true by the NCAA, teams and athletes from the state of California would be subject to a ban from NCAA championship competition."

Sep 30, 2019, 12:29 PM

Does anyone know how this law applies to high school athletes? If California restricts eligibility for its athletes at the high school level while trying to define eligibility for the NCAA, the law doesn't stand a chance.

So, the school now has the player sign a contract

Sep 30, 2019, 12:43 PM

that relieves them of that right for the privilege of playing amatuer sports.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: So, the school now has the player sign a contract

Sep 30, 2019, 12:45 PM

And then said player says no thanks, and moves on to a school with no such contract.

Isn't that what an LOI does?***

Sep 30, 2019, 12:45 PM [ in reply to So, the school now has the player sign a contract ]

Sep 30, 2019, 4:23 PM

Any thing that guy has done stinks......he nut......Go Tigers!!!!!

Oct 1, 2019, 2:39 PM

RIP CA

We Should Cede California to France***

Oct 1, 2019, 2:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2019, 3:35 PM

At the end of the day, I think all CA did is establish urgency for the NCAA to adopt a position. The CA law does not go into effect until January 2023 and by then you can expect the NCAA will have created their own plan that will address the issue and keep everyone eligible.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2019, 3:59 PM

Just pay them to play their sport but let them fend for themselves otherwise. No free education, food or anything like that. Most of them would never set foot on a college campus anyway, and obviously don't value a free education or they wouldn't be asking for more, so give them some cash then send them packing when they get drafted or someone better comes along. For 98% of them its going to be a big step down from the current arrangement.

Ban any "paid" athlete from post-season play.

Oct 1, 2019, 4:16 PM

nm

If this caused the NCAA to change its rules, it would really

Oct 1, 2019, 4:43 PM

help Arkansas.

Look for Wal Mart's new marketing campaign to include razorback players.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 86
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic