Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Iconic Downtown Clemson store to close after 45 years
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

TNET: Iconic Downtown Clemson store to close after 45 years

May 3, 2018, 8:23 AM

Iconic Downtown Clemson store to close after 45 years

The iconic Mr. Knickerbocker store in downtown Clemson will close after decades in business. The property, at 354 College Ave., has been sold to 354 Clemson LLC Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm glad I started Clemson in the late 80's

May 3, 2018, 8:33 AM

I was able to see the downtown area with the pizza joint, record store and the goofy subway in the middle of the road. As you walked through town towards Bowman field, spotting the top of Tillman hall you almost got the feeling of what it was like for students getting off the train at Calhoun and walking back to their barracks. I like the way downtown is set-up now and I don't want to go back in time. It's just sad to hear that a place like Mr. Knickerbockers can't renegotiate its lease and has to move because of developers. That's what happens in NY. But then again, developers need to make money too....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Re: I'm glad I started Clemson in the late 80's

May 3, 2018, 9:16 AM

I believe the record store was called Manifest. Yup....when we still listened and purchased cassettes and CD’s-
That place was awesome. They are still open in Cola. I believe.
Those were the days!

Re: I'm glad I started Clemson in the late 80's

May 3, 2018, 5:34 PM

I actually think it was something else before it was Manifest...an indie shop. But I can't quite recall. I am fairly sure it changed names around 1993-94 in the middle of my years there, but I can't remember if it changed *to* Manifest or *from* Manifest.

I loved Chanelo's. It was a great place to go when I was stressed out and needed some quiet and some food. I was really disappointed when it closed.

It was Black Dog for a while***

May 9, 2018, 12:42 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The pizza joint you're referring to i assume is Chanelo's

May 3, 2018, 9:32 AM [ in reply to I'm glad I started Clemson in the late 80's ]

Who didn't love that place with the awesome subs
and pizzas and of course their famous Versuvian.
When you think of Clemson in the 80s, Chanelo's
is part of it. Sad to see all the landmarks of the
70s and 80s in Clemson disappear like Chanelo's,
the Astro theater and now Knickerbockers.

https://www.clemsonwiki.com/wiki/Chanelo%27s_Pizza

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The pizza joint you're referring to i assume is Chanelo's

May 3, 2018, 9:52 AM

Ha! The first thing that came to my mind when thinking of iconic downtown spots was the joy of a Versuvian Steak sandwich and a pitcher of beer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The pizza joint you're referring to i assume is Chanelo's

May 3, 2018, 6:18 PM [ in reply to The pizza joint you're referring to i assume is Chanelo's ]

The Versuvian was the best sandwich ever!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Miss that Versuvian steak sandwich!!!

May 3, 2018, 11:21 PM [ in reply to The pizza joint you're referring to i assume is Chanelo's ]

I remember deliveries coming down the hall every 30 mins in Johnstone back in the day.

Sad to hear. I just hope that Judge Keller's

May 3, 2018, 8:38 AM

never closes, but I'm sure one day it will, too. Those two were the two stores I remember always being there. Lotta history in those two locations, but particularly in Judge Keller's. When I was there, one of the twirlers, Shannon something I think, plowed her car through the storefront there! It will be a very sad say whenever the Judge shuts the doors, but glad they're still there as the anchor of traditional downtown Clemson!

If/when Judge Keller's does close it will pretty much.......

May 3, 2018, 9:27 AM

be the end of the "old" College Ave. in Clemson that us "old-timers" remember.

Judge Keller's Will Never Close

May 3, 2018, 10:49 AM

Unless there's not a new family member who wants to continue operating the store. To their credit, Judge Keller's management offers a wide variety of merchandise that's in demand.

Re: Judge Keller's Will Never Close

May 3, 2018, 11:12 AM

Unlike the proprietor's of Mr. Knickerbocker, the Keller family has owned the building and the and the land it's on for a century. Knickerbocker's was leasing their building all this time.

Re: If/when Judge Keller's does close it will pretty much.......

May 8, 2018, 8:41 PM [ in reply to If/when Judge Keller's does close it will pretty much....... ]

Who remembers DAN's?

where can I get the gameday Beat so and so stickers now?!?***

May 3, 2018, 9:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Hopefully, they will have them at the Hwy 123 store.***

May 3, 2018, 4:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: TNET: Iconic Downtown Clemson store to close after 45 years

May 3, 2018, 10:48 AM

Sad. Money rules. Traditions mean zero, even in dear ole Clemson ??

May 3, 2018, 11:10 AM

:(

Outlet store in central??? I never knew.

May 3, 2018, 11:11 AM

Will have to check that out. I wonder if they accept returns. ??

May 3, 2018, 11:56 AM

Their online page was woefully inadequate until somewhat recently....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 12:08 PM

I started in '77. The town was very cool, all the little bars, old stores, etc. Time changes, nothing stays the same. sad to see it go.

Re: TNET: Iconic Downtown Clemson store to close after 45 years***

May 3, 2018, 1:12 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Iconic Downtown Clemson store to close after 45 years ]

New owners told them pay certain amount in rent or be out in 30 days they started packing up today I know because I am the clemson mailman

May 3, 2018, 12:09 PM

I just took advantage of a few of the deals on T's and Caps. Things that we get use to, will change at some time in our lives. The only thing that is forever in our world, is that we won't leave here alive!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It sounds as though he will open in another

May 3, 2018, 12:30 PM

Location. His business name and service has value, I'd be shocked if it doesn't open in another location.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: It sounds as though he will open in another

May 3, 2018, 7:07 PM

The Charleston area is ready when they are.

May 3, 2018, 1:25 PM

Just another product of us having a top shelf football program. I don’t know the statistics but football is probably driving student application rate and also local development.

May 3, 2018, 4:36 PM

With the LLC the same as the address, obviously the property has already been bought...That location might be one of the most enviable properties in town...First building after TD/Subway entering the downtown area...The I.M.Ibrahim family will never miss a meal...And from the story it appears the name will not disappear from Clemson, just downsizing a little bit. Kudos to them...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 6:42 PM

What has the IM Ibrahim family got to do with it?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 6:49 PM

Think they mixed up Tiger Sports Shop w Mr Knickerbocker

Imbrahim was who originally opened it, right?***

May 4, 2018, 12:54 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Iconic Downtown Clemson store to close after 45 years ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Update: Said on the news tonight their rent had doubled

May 3, 2018, 7:56 PM

and that the town admitted they planned to get rid of all the parking from Keith Street to their store. Sounds like no reason for them to stay.

Once again the city bites a hand that feeds it.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic