Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Judge Keller's Story
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Judge Keller's Story

May 3, 2018, 9:38 AM

In light of the news of Mr. Knickerbocker's closing, it made me think of Judge Keller's.

This probably won't mean too much to you younger guys, but guys my age and older may be able to relate to this.

When I was a freshman in the fall of 1973, I went down to Judge Keller's to buy a pair of pants (this was long before the Clemson souvenir clothing days of today). I was talking with the Judge himself and he said to go back into the bathroom at the back right corner of the store and try them on. But while I was I was in there, I heard a soft knock on the door. It was Mrs. Keller bringing me a few other pairs of pants to try on. I wasn't shocked because it was just like when I was a kid and my mother or grandmother would take me clothes shopping and bring me clothes to try on.

They were both really nice people - glad I had the chance to know them.

I still think about that pretty much every time I go into that store now.

Will miss that store when it closes some day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Judge Keller's Story

May 3, 2018, 9:57 AM

Tiger77 said:

In light of the news of Mr. Knickerbocker's closing, it made me think of Judge Keller's.

This probably won't mean too much to you younger guys, but guys my age and older may be able to relate to this.

When I was a freshman in the fall of 1973, I went down to Judge Keller's to buy a pair of pants (this was long before the Clemson souvenir clothing days of today). I was talking with the Judge himself and he said to go back into the bathroom at the back right corner of the store and try them on. But while I was I was in there, I heard a soft knock on the door. It was Mrs. Keller bringing me a few other pairs of pants to try on. I wasn't shocked because it was just like when I was a kid and my mother or grandmother would take me clothes shopping and bring me clothes to try on.

They were both really nice people - glad I had the chance to know them.

I still think about that pretty much every time I go into that store now.

Will miss that store when it closes some day.

They were great people.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 10:20 AM

We must have been enrolled at the same time. Of course, having grown up in Clemson, Judge Keller's was always a fixture downtown. The "Judge" in those days was actually the second generation. His Dad originally ran the store and earned the nickname "Judge" because he could look at a cadet and put him in the correct size uniform without measurements. It's run today by the third generation and has always been my go-to store for Clemson apparel.
The Spearman family started Mr. Knickerbockers. He had been a barber and used to cut my hair.

May 3, 2018, 10:31 AM

I'll always remember two places in downtown Clemson. One was Dan's (anyone remember) and Judge Keller's where I purchased my first pair military low quarters. This was in 1959.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dan’s. I spent way too much time there playing

May 3, 2018, 10:43 AM

the pin ball machines.

Re: Dan’s. I spent way too much time there playing

May 3, 2018, 11:55 AM

Many an evening I stopped into Dan's to get two lettuce and tomato sandwiches for dinner, at 10 cents each, to take back to the room I was renting off campus during my middle two years. I also remember those pinball machines there.

Message was edited by: ColoTiger66®

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Judge Keller's Story ]

From 1963 until his death, Dan Gentry was my next door neighbor. I was entertaining about 30 - 35 men one night and talked with Dan about catering it in my back yard. He brought tables, chairs, grill and staff. We had steaks and the usual extras all for $100.

Judge Keller "2" was a super gentleman. If you bought something he would always tell you, "if you are not satisfied, bring it back". Just visiting with he and his wife in the store was a special treat.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Careful Joe - you REALLY excited FM with that 2nd sentence***

May 4, 2018, 6:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I remember Dan's from the 60s when I would go to..........

May 3, 2018, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Judge Keller's Story ]

Clemson games with my Dad - and my oldest brother was in school in the 60s.

When I started Clemson in 1973 it hadn't been all that long since it was Dan's - the same sports photos were still on the wall, etc. But that didn't last too long before it was completely redone.

I remember when this drunk chick drove through...

May 3, 2018, 10:28 AM

the front window of Judge Keller's. That was kind of an odd angle of a store front to manage driving into that store.

Ole Clemson..got to meet & talk with Coach Howard, the Judge, Dan & Knickerbocker James Spearman..

May 3, 2018, 11:23 AM

and they were always friendly & had a little time to chat in those “slower” days.

The Judge & Wife each graciously waited on me many times while Coach Howard was a two-time interview for a Tiger Student Newspaper Sports Article..

And Dan waited on me occasionally at his sandwich shop while James cut my hair.

What a place..C L E M S O N!

Not to be rude or mean-spirited but our Coot rivals will never know or understand imho what makes this small village near the lake & Blue Ridge Mtns so special..

which includes our proud Military tradition from 1889 to mid 50’s and left us with that Esprit d’Corps resolve & close camaraderie we enjoy naturally today.

Go TiGERS..Everywhere!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 12:50 PM

I got my orange overalls there, and I tried them on in that same bathroom. It’s a Clemson Institution.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 10:06 PM

A little of topic but to show the village atmosphere: 1968, the first dance weekend I arranged with the CDA for my now wife to stayat a house with a family in town. Can't remember if there was a charge but there was only one motel then (Holiday Inn) and I couldn't afford that. Turns out she stayed with a Mrs Trimble (?). Frank Howard's mother-in-law. That wouldn't have happened to many places.

May 4, 2018, 6:17 AM

"I was talking with the Judge himself and he said to go back into the bathroom at the back right corner of the store and try them on. But while I was I was in there, I heard a soft knock on the door."

I came through Clemson much later so I didn't know them, but I thought this story was going in a much different direction.

My first day in Clemson I stopped in to buy

May 4, 2018, 6:41 AM

bolts to bunk the beds in our room (it was still a true general store in 1980) and walked out with the bolts (including an extra nut, no charge, in case we dropped and lost one), orange overalls, and a block C cap.

The hat still fits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic