Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
John Walters, ND grad just post this gem on The Athletic..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

John Walters, ND grad just post this gem on The Athletic..

Oct 14, 2019, 9:59 AM

https://theathletic.com/1290634/2019/10/14/bubble-screen-dabo-swinney-reprimands-media-for-trying-to-create-drama-then-behaves-like-a-drama-queen/

Bubble Screen: Dabo Swinney reprimands media for trying to ‘create drama,’ then acts like a drama queen

By John Walters 3h ago 35
“MAYBE CLEMSON GOT A LITTLE TOO CUTE THERE, GRIESE …”

— Steve Levy, ESPN

Ya think? Here was the scene from Death Valley late in the second quarter: Clemson, up 28-0 on Florida State and facing fourth-and-goal from the Seminoles 2, pitches to defensive end Xavier Thomas (Levy: “This is another reason kids want to come to Clemson”), who fumbles and fails to score. That’s when Levy opined the above.

After a Florida State interception and with only seconds remaining before halftime, Clemson again found itself facing fourth down, this time from the FSU 7-yard line. The camera found coach Dabo Swinney on the sideline mouthing “Go for it.” Then, with the play clock winding down, Swinney called timeout and changed his mind. Tiger kicker B.T. Potter was summoned to try a 24-yard gimme — and shanked it.

Over the course of the next minute, ESPN’s cameras followed Swinney as he harangued the 5-foot-10, 180-pound kicker in front of his teammates, a full stadium and a national television audience. Levy, animated: “He just sent Potter packing, gave him the motion and Potter started walking away.” Brian Griese: “If you’re going to do this to the kicker in front of the entire stadium, the entire country watching, you’ve got to be sure you’ve got somebody else you can rely on.”

Sure, that’s the lesson here. It would require a more intrepid broadcasting duo than Levy and Griese to point out the hypocrisy of it all. Did Swinney lash out at the 6-2, 265-pound Thomas for fumbling? Did Swinney admonish himself for pulling the cutesy move of inserting a defensive end to tote the rock on fourth-and-goal when he had Travis Etienne and Trevor Lawrence at his disposal?

No. To quote Lt. Weinberg from “A Few Good Men,” “They beat up on a weakling, and that’s all they did.”

ESPN sideline reporter Molly McGrath interviewed Swinney as he headed to the locker room, noting that he appeared frustrated and asking him what his message to Potter was. Swinney smirked, then replied: “I don’t know if I can say that right now. That’s a layup. That’s ridiculous. He wasn’t ready.”

Neither was Swinney, who’d ordered “Go for it” and then failed to get his offense in position to run a play on time, necessitating the timeout. And sure, 24-yard field goals are gimmes — Potter failed — but it’s odd whom Swinney chose to make the scapegoat of Clemson’s two misbegotten red zone possessions late in the first half.

Swinney spent part of last week reprimanding the media for attempting to “create drama.” Then, up 28-0 on Florida State, he behaved like a drama queen. Levy and Griese (and Todd McShay, also on hand) are too smart not to have noticed, but either they’re all too in awe of the Tao of Swinney or they’re too reticent to rebuke a man who coaches colleague Kirk Herbstreit’s twin sons. Even if that is not it, that’s how it might appear from the outside when you fail to call out a coach for throwing a hissy fit on national TV.

After halftime, ESPN’s cameras revisited the Dabo Drama Debacle. Swinney approached his kicker and offered a few words of conciliation and a pat on the helmet as Potter warmed up. As we watched, Griese told us Swinney is “one of the best in the business, if not THE BEST, from a psychology standpoint, to build Potter back up.”

I’m sorry, Griese. ########. That was prima donna behavior from a coach who was too proud to admit he’d been the clown show in the final two minutes of the half.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: John Walters, ND grad just post this gem on The Athletic..

Oct 14, 2019, 10:04 AM

When you're living in the penthouse all of the lower caste hate ya .
It comes with the territory .
I was dogged by many coaches in my day , in front of team , parents , concession stand attendants ...didn't matter .
That's coaching and it's necessary to a point .
The Domer grad still got his thangs all twist up from that beating Dabo put on em' last December .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 14, 2019, 10:22 AM

I, too, had some humiliation thrown my way in HS by my head coach. I dared try to come off the field during our homecoming game with cramps in both legs. I was spun around by my head coach and kicked in the ###... 'Get your ### back in there!' I went back in, and played the rest of the game. I didn't like it, but he was setting an example for the rest of the team...If he'd do that to me, then you better not try to leave the rest of your teammates out there just because you got a scratch or ache. And, yes, you were expected to perform to the best of your ability, and be ready when your name was called. I loved that head coach to the day he died.

PS: My mom was not too happy that night.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2019, 10:09 AM

It is just amazing to me how there is always someone in the media determined to tear down our team and coaches. I guess that is just something you have to put up with when you are on top.

Dabo is very intense and focused and expects the same out of his team.

BTW, thanks for placing the article in your post, as I, as well as many others, do not subscribe to the Athletic.

Oct 14, 2019, 10:11 AM

No prob. However I think you can read three free articles per month on the site. So consider this one of your free ones.

um, the kicker's job is to make kicks

Oct 14, 2019, 10:12 AM

if XT doesn't make the play, there is no reason to harass him

and why does the weight and height of the kicker matter?

dumb article

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: um, the kicker's job is to make kicks

Oct 14, 2019, 10:34 AM

I seem to remember Dabo going off on several players over the years.

How about Christian Wilkins after his Heisman pose?

Pulled Jackson Carmen after false starts against UNCheat.

I could name more, but we all know the point.

wait, how about this one? Blame the TV camera for showing one example, but not the others?

Or, how much of the game did John Walters watch?

Dabo coaches up all game long, and always thinks the score is 0-0

What is this moron's email address...he needs a few tigernet

Oct 14, 2019, 11:24 AM

"suggestions" sent his way.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please don't. That will only fuel this hack's ego knowing

Oct 14, 2019, 1:08 PM

you read his article.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Oct 14, 2019, 10:17 AM

Isn't it cute when a media member pretends to know everything the best coach in America says to one of his players in situations like that, and is so sure about it that he comes to some kind of negative conclusion about said best coach in America's ability and character?

How does the saying go?

Oct 14, 2019, 10:23 AM

“They hate us ‘cause they ain’t us” ?

But really, no different than how FM, ‘94 and Balm are treated on tnet. . .

. . . oops! Oh yeah, almost forgot - and bob, too.

??

Message was edited by: Uncle Bill®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

This must be life on top of the mountain. Ignorant nobodies

Oct 14, 2019, 10:28 AM

taking shots at Dabo in a desperate attempt to make a name for themselves.

null

Players and parents love him. Recruits flock to him.

Oct 14, 2019, 10:29 AM

You’d think they’d hate him given observations like those of the writer.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's just salty about the transitive property hit the Irish

Oct 14, 2019, 10:32 AM

took. Wake Forest > Notre Dame

The issue was that Potter wasn't ready.

Oct 14, 2019, 10:34 AM

He wasn't paying attention on the sidelines and wasn't focused.

Dabo wasn't railing him for simply missing a kick. There was more to the story.

Re: The issue was that Potter wasn't ready.

Oct 14, 2019, 10:55 AM

Bingo!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just gonna take a wild guess that this clown never played a

Oct 14, 2019, 10:42 AM

down of football in his life...AND is still butthurt from Dabo's thrashing last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2019, 10:47 AM

If Dabo wanted to be loved by the media he should have never gone to the White House. He did, however, so now they are going to try to destroy him just like they do anyone else who doesn't pretend to hate Trump.

Trump...? Really? P&R------------>***

Oct 14, 2019, 11:36 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2019, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Re: John Walters, ND grad just post this gem on The Athletic.. ]

Yeah, this crappy article is totally due to Dabo not hating Trump.

Oct 14, 2019, 10:53 AM

Once I saw him quote Steve Levy in the opener, I knew I had seen all I needed to see. I'm assuming everything after that was 'blah blah half-truth, blah blah lie, yada yada loophole, yada yada innuendo' ??

You know what - never mind. I don't care.

John Waters from Pink Flamingos??? Did he attend ND?***

Oct 14, 2019, 10:55 AM

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

Fabulous!

Oct 14, 2019, 1:19 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Who ? Why would I care what this person thinks ?

Oct 14, 2019, 11:05 AM

HE means nothing to me and 99.999% of America

Mr. Waters has 40 years of pent up frustration

Oct 14, 2019, 11:44 AM

...still waiting for the Irish to beat the Tigers. Poor, poor baby!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was he in Dodgeball?***

Oct 14, 2019, 1:03 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Jealousy is an ugly emotion." - Everyone***

Oct 14, 2019, 1:09 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The athletic has a ton of great content

Oct 14, 2019, 1:13 PM

but this is garbage.

Thank you for copying and pasting the article

Oct 14, 2019, 1:17 PM

here so we don't give this hack recognition by clicking the link.

If this is all they have to criticize about our program

Oct 14, 2019, 2:04 PM

then we are obviously doing just fine.

Talk about creating news when there isn't any!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I'm Impressed with this Writer....

Oct 14, 2019, 2:24 PM

for being this dumb; Makes the SEC look slow.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic