Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For the older members - Worst year ever?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 2,840

For the older members - Worst year ever?

Jul 13, 2020, 2:38 PM

Everybody is decrying how bad 2020 is, with the COVID, riots, political correctness, etc, and it's certainly a crazy year.

But curious what the older members think about the worst year ever in the last 100 years or so. 1968 was a extremely bad year. 1942, with the domination of Japan and Germany in the Pacific and Europe and the US desperately trying to play catch-up and sustaining massive losses in the meantime, particularly in the Pacific. Obviously the 30s were rough, with the Great Depression (not sure the years of that).

Maybe some folks with better knowledge, or first-hand knowledge, can put some younger folks' minds at ease that it has been a LOT worse and we've still survived.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Political correctness ruining the country.***

Jul 13, 2020, 2:42 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Americans who know better putting up with

Jul 13, 2020, 2:47 PM

the communist takeover is ruining the country.

it was going to happen sooner or later. why not now?

Jul 13, 2020, 3:12 PM

the kids today just can't even, and if mommy and daddy won't take care of them, then the Government needs to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

that makes sense

Jul 13, 2020, 6:22 PM

Blame kids, who have barely had a chance to impact the world yet, for the worlds issues rather than the old adults who’ve been on this earth for many decades.

Re: For the older members - Worst year ever?

Jul 13, 2020, 2:48 PM

There may have been worse years, when I was younger, but who cared at the time, but this is the strangest, most anxious time, I ever remember in my sixty six years.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since I was born, I remember 1978 - 79 being tough times in

Jul 13, 2020, 2:56 PM

the country with the incredibly high oil prices, the Iran crisis, weak military, and ridiculous inflation(double digit per year) and mortgage rates.(15% was common)

Unemployment was incredibly high during this time thought the unemployment number did not rise till 1980 due to more people trying to enter the workforce.

The winter Olympics of 1980 and the Ronald Reagan affect seemed to pull the country out of a malaise. And the Tigers started to rise again during this time as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

What sets this apart from 2020, though,

Jul 13, 2020, 3:04 PM

is that, to my knowledge, none of the other "worst years ever" put a complete stop to the US, much less the world. Sports went on, business went on, life went on. People adapted.

I've read that in 42 the US, and most of Europe, was hit really hard with a lot of rationing of food and clothing and fuel. Private manufacturing was essentially taken over by the government and switched to war production. You had to ration your gas/miles, food, and all sort of difficulties.

But never before have we let something bring the entire nation to a standstill, much less the erosion of free speech and liberties that we're seeing.

Jul 13, 2020, 3:11 PM

I graduated high school in '65.....we lost to the coots SEVENTEEN TO SIXTEEN Major bummer

GO TIGERS

Message was edited by: 2k®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Easy, now...I turned 52 yesterday. '68 wasn't all bad!

Jul 13, 2020, 3:24 PM

Definitely in my opinion 2020 is the worst I've seen - from a personal perspective, an American perspective and a world perspective. I am praying that my 53rd year will be much better than my 52nd, and that the worst is behind us.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wasn't far behind you!

Jul 13, 2020, 4:21 PM

Born in '69. Of course, 69 was a cool year - Woodstock, Apollo 11, Jets in the Super Bowl, me, etc.

Let’s face it, 2020 is overhyped

Jul 13, 2020, 3:39 PM

if you stop to consider standard of living compared to 1930s and 40s, we are spoiled rotten today by comparison.

Vast majority of people in this country under a certain age have no context with which to understand how good they have it comparatively. Myself included.

Not even close to 1996

Jul 13, 2020, 4:14 PM

Took cancer 5 months that year to take my Father.

This is a walk in the park compared to watching him go on a daily basis.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not even close to 1996

Jul 13, 2020, 4:27 PM

2008 was my worst year EVER and probably counts for the top 3 spots. Mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and was gone in less than 3 months. Came out of NO WHERE. Her last month on Earth was painful to watch and live through knowing that there was nothing that could be done to save her.

I will say that going through that time period with my Mom, Dad, sisters and brother brought us all closer together and we have remained that way. It also gave me perspective. I remember the feeling of crushing anger when my Tigers would lose a game especially to inferior opponents. Then along comes Dabo and I have been able to experience the greatest years of Clemson football in history. The wins mean a lot more and I mean every single one of them. Do not care who we are playing.The losses still suck, but the sun still rises the next day, and I have been able to watch out Tigers claim the crown 3 times in my life time.

2020 would definitely achieve top 5 status in my life the way it is going. Watching my Tigers play in the fall would definitely improve an otherwise crappy year.

Go Tigers!

My worst year was my seventh, when I lay

Jul 13, 2020, 4:16 PM

completely bed-ridden for four months due to a serious kidney illness for which there was no known cure other than complete bedrest.

Two years prior, we suffered through the polio pandemic, so my thoughts were, "When will all this end?" I lived through the turmoil of the Vietnam era, including being spat upon and cursed by protestors in San Francisco when I returned from overseas duty.

Now, I accept the gravity of our current crises while retaining a conviction that times will improve, we will find a way to control or defeat the illness, and we will make further progress in racial relations.

My best advice is patience and forebearance, for we may have to readjust our lives to degree, but I remain positive and optimistic...my life's watchwords learned through my own trials.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally- being in Nam and then in Walter

Jul 13, 2020, 9:35 PM

Reed for almost all of 1970 and ‘71 was worse than this but on a global basis there have been many years worse for the general population

Jul 13, 2020, 5:12 PM

The difference in this attack on the United States and the ones from WWI and WWII is that these are internal instead of external.

Our nation is being torn apart from the inside instead of attacked by foreign nations.

Joseph Stalin believed that Democracy and Dictatorship were the extremes in government and that eventually everyone would migrate to Communism, it appears he was correct.

Jul 13, 2020, 6:14 PM

I was born in 63' . The oil crisis in the 70's, the protests of Vietnam . Vietnam war on the news. The horrible treatment of our Vietnam war vets by our own citizens and government. Hurricane Hugo destruction of our state. This yr has been very DIFFERENT . We will survive ??.

There are a lot of similarities between now and 1968.

Jul 13, 2020, 6:31 PM

Riots and civil unrest across the country, just as back then. Also, we had the news broadcasting horrors from Viet Nam into our living rooms on a nightly basis. Atrocities turned a lot of people against our entire military, although those atrocities were committed by only a few. A complete parallel to what is going on with the attitudes about the police departments across the country now. Again, the atrocities are committed by a relative few individuals.

What makes 2020 worse is a combination of this pandemic, and the fact that we have scores of people who ALL grew up in a free society in this country clamoring for "reparations" for sins against their distant ancestors. This is as much a product of the I-ME-NOW generational thinking as it is any systemic racism. In this country, you are only a victim if you let yourself be a victim. How else to explain how the same circumstances that produce criminals, also produce some of the brightest minds around today? It is, and always will be, a personal choice that is made by individuals to make something of themselves.

So, given today's circumstances, with all the posturing from all the people wanting to take the easy way out and say they are OWED something due to systemic racism, along with having to dodge a potentially deadly virus, yes, the answer is, 2020 is the worst.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I graduated high school and started Clemson in ‘68..........

Jul 13, 2020, 8:03 PM

and that has been the best/worst year for me. Best in that I graduated high school and was going away to college. Worst because the rioting seemed to be worse and more violent than recently, mega famous people like Kennedy and King were assassinated, war protesters were increasing exponentially , the Vietnam war was always in your face every night on tv with all of the casualties and the democratic convention was a cluster **** out of control! Generally, the country seemed like it was in a disastrous freefall!

Jimmy Carter years

Jul 13, 2020, 8:11 PM

I was a kid living in Mass sitting in 1.5 hours of filling station line. That was the best kept secret for gas at that time

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tommy bowdens last season

Jul 13, 2020, 10:58 PM

Getting smoked by wake forest causes permanent heart damage

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tommy bowdens last season

Jul 14, 2020, 7:39 AM

Three worst:
1968, 1979 and 2020

We didn't exactly get "smoked" by Weak Florist.

Jul 14, 2020, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Tommy bowdens last season ]

12-7 is a competitive score. What made that game so maddening is that we clearly had much more talent on the field all game than Wake, but kept shooting ourselves in the foot. And Tommy Bowden had such a deer in the headlights look for the whole game, like he had not a single clue about how to proceed. This was the final straw for me, which caused me to send my email letter to the Clemson President and BOT the next day. Now, I was surely not alone in sending letters at that time wanting Bowden to be fired, but I AM sure mine was the one that made it happen. After all, I do be have command of English language. :)

Replies: 23
| visibility 2,840
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic