Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You can't make this crap up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 555

You can't make this crap up

Jan 19, 2021, 11:51 AM

so my son just walked home from school because someone next to him tested positive for COVID. He has to be out until Monday with a negative COVID test. (They texted mom, but she was on the phone and didn't tell me. They didn't just send him home) The kid tested positive on Thursday, so its already been 5 days.

To be honest, I think the rules are just being made up as they go. Insanity I tell you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What do you think should be done instead?***

Jan 19, 2021, 11:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Probably isolate him until a parent can pick him up

Jan 19, 2021, 11:59 AM

Making a kid walk down 8 mile to go home could end in death. Have you not even seen the movie?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I once walked home from middle school, and pre cell phones

Jan 19, 2021, 12:07 PM

and pre-mapquest, decided to walk a way that I *thought* was shorter, but wasn't.

Just checked Google Earth and mapped it, I walked 3 miles instead of 1.2. My parents were freaking out and couldn't find me. I walked slow because it was post soccer practice.

It's weird that I can still remember that walk, but cannot remember what I did this past weekend.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

very true and noted***

Jan 19, 2021, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Probably isolate him until a parent can pick him up ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The postive kid was still going to school after

Jan 19, 2021, 11:54 AM

a positive test?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

kids parents decided to call in today to let the school

Jan 19, 2021, 11:57 AM

know. Why they waited, I have no idea.

Yeah that's stupidity on the parent

Jan 19, 2021, 12:00 PM

Now the school has to follow protocol from when they knew of it. 10 days if your kid tests positive. 7 if he/she doesn't.

Sounds like your angst should be towards the stupidity of the parent and not towards the rule.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If its been 5 days since the kid tested positive

Jan 19, 2021, 11:56 AM

and my child isn't showing signs or symptoms and no one in our family is showing signs or symptoms, he should stay in school. That is what I think should happen. They are separated by a plexi-glass and wear masks, so I am not worried in the least.

The inconsistency around the rules and the inconsistency in our children's lives are the bigger issues.

Is it inconsistency in the rules or human error?

Jan 19, 2021, 11:59 AM

if the kid was going to school for 5 days after a test then either

1. the parent didn't notify the school of the test. Stupidity of the parent

2. state health agency didn't notify the school of the positive test. They are getting overwhelmed and slowing down on reporting... at least SCDHEC is

3. both.

Either way, now that the school is aware it has to follow the protocol set out which is 10 days if positive, 7 days with a negative test.

Just when I thought I was a rules expert, they changed them

Jan 19, 2021, 12:22 PM [ in reply to If its been 5 days since the kid tested positive ]

on us. But they're struggling to keep the schools going 5 days a week here. It doesn't help that people shed the most virus 1-3 days BEFORE having any symptoms. After 10-14 days, no matter how bad or sick you get, or recover completely, after 10-14 days, you're basically safe.

This was the worry with the inlaws because we were around them exactly 2 days before they showed symptoms. FIL was around his friend (who gave it to him) 2 days before his symptoms. If someone has been hacking, coughing, fever, at home whatever, after 14 days they're basically not shedding or shedding very little virus. People in the hospital with it are less contagious than someone maskless at the grocery store showing no symptoms 2 days before they do show signs.

But no matter what, symptoms or not, 10 days out from an exposure and a negative test and no symptoms you should be back in school. 14 days for a positive test and symptoms. That should be the rule, but isn't. If you wait for symptoms, and then a positive test result, you've already spent 3-5 days spreading it already. We are trying to stay on top of it here and test before symptoms if we know of an exposure because that keeps you from spreading it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You aren't worried? Not worried about your kid being

Jan 19, 2021, 4:05 PM [ in reply to If its been 5 days since the kid tested positive ]

potentially an asymptomatic carrier and sending it home with another kid that has someone at home that could have issues over it? Why not just get him tested and keep him away? Why is that so hard?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After all the over-65-year-olds have the vaccine, should

Jan 19, 2021, 12:00 PM

it remain the over the top concern it now is?

Just seems like a big hoax to me.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:04 PM

https://nypost.com/2021/01/18/1-in-8-recovered-covid-19-patients-die-within-5-months-study/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who said it was a hoax?

Jan 19, 2021, 12:42 PM

source of that comment?

You 9 months ago***

Jan 19, 2021, 12:43 PM

Was it even 9 months ago?

Jan 19, 2021, 3:51 PM

I think he was still mocking its viability a week or so before he had it

I mock lockdowns and always

Jan 19, 2021, 4:06 PM

have and always will.

Your selective memory isn’t that great.

Don't be an a$$. I was asking a legit question.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Just seems like a big hoax to me. ]

The average age in the article you posted was ... 65. Or did you bother to read it?

I was referring to stats I read months ago, where the vast majority of the deaths were over some age like 75, and that with people under 30 the outcomes were less than or equal flu. If that is the case, and if > 65s are vaccinated, it seems some of the worry should lessen.

I was asking the question, hoping people with actual info and insight might answer. That is definitely and obviously not you.

I've read that article several times, and I've yet to see

Jan 19, 2021, 3:54 PM

where it states and average age of 65. Can you point that out to me? Maybe I'm hard of reading

400 K and counting, so.......yeah.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:10 PM [ in reply to After all the over-65-year-olds have the vaccine, should ]

And lots under 65 with serious complications or dead.
Not saying every measure being taken is reasonable, but yeah its a big deal.

Being 65

Jan 19, 2021, 3:40 PM

I wish they would move those stats up to age 70.

;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

10 day protocol in FL. Had 6 yr. old grandson last week.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:13 PM

At home virtual schooling is totally messed up on top of everything else.

In our school district, if you are sent home with COVID

Jan 19, 2021, 3:48 PM

symptoms you are outta school for 10 days or until you can get your negative test approved (total pain in the ###). Same goes if you are determined to be a "close contact" of someone who tests positive.

If you just keep your kids home from school sick without telling the school, there's no rule on when you can come back.

Makes no sense.

What's so out of whack here?

Jan 19, 2021, 4:03 PM

So your kid was around another kid that is positive. Ok. And they want your kid to stay home another 6 days and they want him to test negative. Ok.

What's the issue here? Sounds normal to me.

I mean, you DO know that people can have it and not be symptomatic right? And that like people that have it can spread it to others?

If your issue is with just finding out the kid tested positive on Thursday, I would agree. Either the parents fault for not telling the school, or the school's fault for not telling the kid. I'm going with the first one.

Replies: 24
| visibility 555
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic