Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We got a great class. FSU's was better. Games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

We got a great class. FSU's was better. Games

Feb 4, 2016, 12:07 AM

with them in the next few years won't be getting any easier.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

only legitimate class rankings are 2-5 years out.

Feb 4, 2016, 12:12 AM

thankfully, it aint quite as simple as the all-seeing sec or fsu symbiotes suggest.

Message was edited by: jackorange®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Absolute Biblical Truth here.

Feb 4, 2016, 12:18 AM

So many times does a player's ranking drop when he commits to a school early. Take Feaster for example. He is an obvious, can't miss 5*, #1 RB. But people dropped him because they took their eye off him to look at the uncommitted guys. He is obviously worlds better than any other RB in this class and it is not even close.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

That's largely false. There's a direct correlation b/t

Feb 4, 2016, 7:29 AM [ in reply to only legitimate class rankings are 2-5 years out. ]

recruiting rankings and success on the field. It's not even necessary to "re-rank" the classes years later. If you want to win a national title you basically HAVE to land top 10 recruiting classes for an entire ~4 year cycle to have a chance.

That said, the difference b/t FSU's class and our class is probably fairly negligible and can easily be overcome by other factors. However, the difference b/t a class like ours and a class like SCar just signed is not negligible and if that trend continues we will dominate them for years to come.

Might be ranked higher, but I wouldn't trade classes.

Feb 4, 2016, 12:17 AM

I think we have the better class. I think some of the guys we got were handicapped by committing so early. I also think that if we compared position-groups, we won on most of them. Lastly, I think that our lower ranked guys that bring our average down are actually hidden gems and will prove that the ranking is not everything.

Plus, we've got Deshaun and simply more answers than they do this year. Next year might be tough, but it will be home.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Might be ranked higher, but I wouldn't trade classes.

Feb 4, 2016, 12:20 AM

I agree. I believe The Tigers will win in Tallahassee this year, we've just got too much offense for them.

YES, "I think that our lower ranked guys are hidden gems"!

Feb 4, 2016, 7:44 AM [ in reply to Might be ranked higher, but I wouldn't trade classes. ]

Lastly, I think that our lower ranked guys that bring our average down are actually hidden gems and will prove that the ranking is not everything

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, on paper they look like they should win. But this year

Feb 4, 2016, 12:39 AM

proved to me a few things:

1. TEAM is NOT cliche or overrated. A group of great athletes a team does not make.
2. Dedication and heart are the X factor.
3. The QB is even more important than I used to believe. The difference between a loaded team with a good QB and a talented team with an elite QB is not really even measurable.
4. Disciplined athletes perform at a higher level than even more talented, but less disciplined, athletes.

Dabo is getting BOTH great athletes and great people, as he said. Great people put team over individual pursuits. Great people cooperate and commit to the grand plan. Great people sacrifice. Great people are more coachable and less distracted with unhealthy habits. I could go on.

I think Dabo is very good about meeting his needs, too. When reading the Nolan Turner story, he said he needed a Nolan in the meeting rooms. He needed the kind of leadership, gratitude, commitment, etc. that he knew Nolan would bring to the table. Dabo sees the big picture. He is so very good at being several steps ahead on things. This has been part of his plan because he "saw it" much earlier than others.

He clearly sees Nolan as a leader. Eric MacLain was a HUGE factor this past year in his leadership, for example. The whole team culture of winning needs all of these things.

FSU has shown itself over the past few years as a compromising program. They compromised ethics in how they handled Winston and other players. That does affect a program. They can't just plug in elite players and expect to cover up/make up weaknesses created by damaging consequences.

Will FSU continue to win? Yes, talent alone will take you to a certain point. Coaching will too. But I am convinced that, while talent is critical to winning, it absolutely is not the end-all, be-all. There are consequences to undisciplined behavior. It happened to Spurrier. So Clowney was truly a once-in-a-generation athlete. But what exactly was his impact? What it should have been? No. Because of a lack of overall program discipline.

It is because of Dabo's approach to committing to the "whole" of the player, plus "the Watson factor," that we were so good this past year. We only have Watson just a little while longer. But Dabo's quest to build a solid foundation and fortress will hopefully continue to bring in other special QBs (although there is only one Watson) that can help lead us to some more championship seasons.

I don't know what type of factor you could add to an X-star player (fill in the number) to account for character, but I do believe is is a very real and impactful factor. That is why I think we continue to be able to line up toe-to-toe with perhaps even more talented teams.

+1...***

Feb 4, 2016, 12:53 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We got a great class. FSU's was better. Games

Feb 4, 2016, 12:45 AM

I went back and looked at 2015 and that class of theirs was insane.
Luckily I think our coaching is superior and we did have some guys (feasted mostly) who was dropped because he didn't want to go to camps. We really signed 4 5* in feaster, Dex, shaq, and tre Lamar.
The game in Tallahassee will be one of the most talented matchups in recent memory. Nothing but blue chips out there.
On that note Renfrow doesn't fit that description but now looks like a 5*. That's a testament to our coaching.

not so much about when they commit

Feb 4, 2016, 12:59 AM

Its more about how many camps you go to and how much you work with the recruiting services. Safe to say that stuff does not factor into Dabo's evaluation. Once a guy commits our coaches don't like guys going to other camps to get other coaching unless it is authorized by our staff. Too many people in a players ear always turns into a disaster. Think about it, if your family gives rivals inside info they can sell they are going to rank you higher than if you blow them off and tell them to take a hike.

Re: not so much about when they commit

Feb 4, 2016, 1:06 AM

Exactly. We know what we got in these guys. So why camp and risk injury and other schools noticing. We have it locked down. Some have something to prove (Powell sure played like it) and are rewarded for it. But in the end rs just numbers.
Had the LBs and Feaster camped until signing day yeah sure we may be top 3. But who cares at that point. I'd rather feaster rest and the LBs be learning the play book.
The difference between the top 10 classes (assuming they all are legit and not huge classes) is slim as everyone has their needs and fills them with blue chips.
It's cool to say we got X number of 5* but at the end of the day, Clemson knows what they got.

Re: not so much about when they commit

Feb 4, 2016, 5:45 AM [ in reply to not so much about when they commit ]

It also has a lot to do with when they commit. The recruiting sites what to have a lot of highly rated recruits making their commitments come January / February to get hits and memberships.

Feb 4, 2016, 12:49 AM

I don't think games with them are ever going to get easier. Such a fine line between their class and outs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We got a great class. FSU's was better.*** GOOD!

Feb 4, 2016, 4:32 AM

Now maybe they won't embarrass the ACC by winning all their conference games and folding like a cheap suit in the Playoffs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2016, 5:41 AM

When I all boils down. Dex was the #1 recuit until he committed with us. Feaster was. Gary was the #1 recuit that was uncommitted. It takes years to see if they really were. No one knows who will really pan out. Look at auburn, Texas, Florida all great ranked classes with nothing to show for it. I'm more then excited about our class.
GO TIGERS !!!

Feb 4, 2016, 5:47 AM

I don't think this is true at all. Maybe one site had Dex #1 and I don't even remember that. Rivals had Gary #1 last spring when he visited and I don't recall that changing.

We just had

Feb 4, 2016, 5:57 AM

a walk-on score two touchdowns in the National Championship game.

We're gonna be fine.

How could you possibly know that?

Feb 4, 2016, 7:21 AM

How amy of Clemson and FSU's signees have you personally seen play football?

I suspect the answer is pretty small...therefore, how can you have any opinion whatsoever on which one signed better football players?

I've read several posts like this

Feb 4, 2016, 7:30 AM

They are extremely irritating....

How much better is their class? Is ther much difference?

You know they always have "better" classes than us, even before Jimbo was there when we were beating them 2 out of every 3 games.

It's really about getting right stars than the number of stars

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've read several posts... reality check, please?

Feb 4, 2016, 8:12 AM

> You know they always have "better" classes than us,
> even before Jimbo was there when we were beating them
> 2 out of every 3 games.

franc1968 gotta toss the bs flag here, my friend. "...beating them 2 out of 3 games"...?!?! say what?...

While I am hopeful - and I think we may start doing that now - and hopefully WELL into the foreseeable future - however, there has been a direct correlation between FSU joining the ACC and our number of ACC Championships. And I don't think that we beat them 2 out of 3.....

;-O

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Feb 4, 2016, 8:53 AM

Both classes are great which lets us all know that our future games will continue to be wars. The reality is that our two schools are carrying the conference. The rest of the ACC is trailing us in a big way. Good for us but bad for the conference. Some of them need to step their game up.

Why? Last I checked, y'all won the natty 3 seasons ago,

Feb 4, 2016, 9:39 AM

made the playoffs 2 seasons ago, and we played in the natty last season. Most of the ACC doesn't give a rip about football, but it's not holding either of us back right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Why? Last I checked, y'all won the natty 3 seasons ago,

Feb 5, 2016, 12:32 PM

I think it goes back to credibility. The perception is that the ACC champ has to be undefeated to make the playoff. Is that the reality? Not sure! We will have to wait until that scenario happens to see for sure. A couple more ACC teams making a little more noise on the national scene can only help us with the " Schedule Respect" factor.

Feb 4, 2016, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Re: I've read several posts... reality check, please? ]

@Uncle Bill

From 2003 to 2011 we were 6-3 against them. That seems like 2-1 to me

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe Uncle Bill took a sick day from math?***

Feb 4, 2016, 9:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Feb 4, 2016, 7:40 AM

of course by ESecPN! We will see how who does best with them. CLEMSON does the best with low rankings then the top teams.

We had the Elephants beat in the trenches! ST not!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd match our team up against anybody***

Feb 4, 2016, 7:43 AM

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

When does FSU get The Recruiting Ranking Trophy?

Feb 4, 2016, 7:47 AM

How is ir judged?

Number of recruits in the top 300?
Needs Filled?
Number of recruits ranked in the top 20?
Average per player?
Number of 5 stars?

We beat them in several of those categories.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 4, 2016, 8:52 AM

> with them in the next few years won't be getting any
> easier.

Couple of things to respond to that....

1) Not truly sold on FSU's systems or coaching, on either side of the ball. While I am distinctly sold on Jimbo as a "QB whisperer" - he managed to make Everett Golson look serviceable for most of the year, and really cut down his usual turnover bonanza to almost nothing - I also don't like his offensive system. It's clunky, complex, complicated, and requires a lot of college guys to make a lot of very complicated reads and decisions and all be on the same page together. That rarely happens - they had one really great year out of Winston, the year they won the title - and the remainder of the time the offense runs like big-block V-8 engine that badly needs a tune-up, sputtering and choking and often cutting off for no reason whatsoever. On the other side of the ball, Charles Kelly really hasn't gotten as much out of a group as talented as Alabama's as you'd expect...they showed up for the Clemson game; for the rest of the season they looked lethargic and uninspired. Houston embarassed them to close the season in the Peach Bowl.

To me, if you want to really be successful in college, you do something simple enough kids can rep it at a high pace. FSU doesn't, and while they make a lot of sales headway marketing their systems as "NFL prep", the bottom line is running these pro-style systems hampers them at the college level a lot of times.

2) ALSO, not really sold on the culture at FSU. There's an entitled - that might be a mild term for the way FSU players are treated - outlaw culture that's taken root in FSU, and it percolates down through every level of that team. There's an absence of accountability, work ethic, and oftentimes, even decency. The team rarely seems to play to its actual talent level and "plays down" to the competition far too much, and time after time, you see a bunch of lazy guys on the field not getting after it. They're still formidable when they show up to play - that game against us was a heavyweight deathmatch - but way too often they seem to just be in cruise control. They lost games to vastly inferior opponents in GT and Houston this past year and that was the norm for Bobby Bowden's teams as well.

Just my .02 worth.

Feb 4, 2016, 9:46 AM

I don't remember any games with them being easy. EVER!

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic