Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I've been watching the PBS documentary "Country Music" by
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

I've been watching the PBS documentary "Country Music" by

Sep 14, 2012, 6:26 PM

Ken Burns, and even if you aren't a country music fan, it is well worth watching!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very well done. It’s become must see TV for me.******

Sep 19, 2019, 10:17 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've been watching the PBS documentary "Country Music" by

Sep 19, 2019, 10:23 PM

I watched the last several nights and looked for it tonight . Was it just 3 parts ?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2019, 10:38 PM

Starts back Sunday night I believe

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eight parts, not sure what episode they are on now

Sep 19, 2019, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: I've been watching the PBS documentary "Country Music" by ]

I'm watching it online on pbs.org and up to episode 6

Sep 19, 2019, 10:49 PM

You get the " rest of the story" of
all the early Country Entertainers.
Fabulous !!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everything Ken Burns touches turns into documentary gold.

Sep 19, 2019, 10:52 PM

Recommend watching The Civil War again sometime. There’s just so much, but he has a remarkable ability to present a massive amount of content yet still captivate the viewer.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2019, 11:51 PM

Indeed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Other than our 3 Natty games, this is the best thing I have

Sep 20, 2019, 12:08 AM

seen on TV!

Sep 20, 2019, 8:02 AM

Just my opinion, but Ken Burns hasn't done a bad documentary yet, but this is about as good as it gets.
When you have an episode( Wednesday night) that features Johhny Cash, Elvis, Merle Haggard, June Carter, Willie, and Patsy Cline, well you have covered a great deal of history.
And I find it interesting how Tuesday's episode ended with the death of a legend, starts off with Jimmy Rodgers( another legend), and Hank, and then ends with Patsy.

I was only disappointed with two omissions...

Sep 20, 2019, 10:56 AM

They gave good coverage of the early 70's Nitty Gritty Dirt Band album "Will the Circle Be Unbroken", but they barely mentioned Doc Watson, who in my opinion, was one of the highlights of the album.

The other was no mention of early 70's southern rock, especially the Marshall Tucker Band, who were one of the best at fusing country, rock, jazz & blues. Disappointing, because they generally did a good job of showing how the different genres melded together. They did play Hank Junior's version of "Can't You See", while leading into the part on Hank Jr.

Sep 20, 2019, 8:17 AM

Pretty sad the other night with the Patsy Cline, Hawkshaw Hawkins, Cowboy Copas deaths in a plane crash. I remember being very little when that happened. I did not know roger Miller climbed a fire tower to pin pont the crash site and lead resue workers there. Yu look at Patsy and Hank and wonder what else they would have contributed to Music with longer careers. Both were just about 30 when they died.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

great music history that paralleled our publics need for entertainment after cultural hardships.

Sep 20, 2019, 9:00 AM

watched last Sun-Wed evenings on PBS and will resume watching with high interest this Sunday evening (8-10).

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i hope oldschool57 has been watching***

Sep 20, 2019, 9:52 AM

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic