Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I've been a tiger fan since 1979, when I was old enough to watch
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

I've been a tiger fan since 1979, when I was old enough to watch

Dec 25, 2015, 11:10 PM

Something other then Saturday cartoons. I've pulled for the tigers through the tough years. But I can say with out a doubt, I've never believed in the coaching staff as much as I do now. I liked danny ford, but not sure I would have wanted my son under his rule. Same gos for all the rest I've seen go through there. Dabo is someone I would enjoy my son knowing and learning from. Its so easy as a fan to pull for these coaches . my mother and brother in law are lamecock fans. But they are Christian's first. They have told me they pull not for Clemson. But for Dabo. They say its just to hard to pull against him and how much they wish Carolina would get these types of men there. What we have right now is special . this is the glory days of Clemson football.
GO TIGERS!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've been a tiger fan since 1979, when I was old enough to watch

Dec 26, 2015, 9:38 AM

If you've been a fan since 1979 you've never experienced the tough times of Clemson football. However, your post is spot on. Go Tigers .

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2015, 9:51 AM

I consider our tough times as the west area. But pretty much when we all learned ford was no longer the coach. That was inconceivable to me. Was like hearing Clemson was closing. But maybe the last thirty wasn't as bad as before Charlie pell took over. I started watching his last year. But I do remember getting beat by Pitt in a bowl. My first Clemson memory.
GO TIGERS!!

Dec 26, 2015, 2:25 PM

I was 6 years old and went to that Gator Bowl. Used to sneak in the locker room to see Steve Fuller and Jim Stuckey during that time. Barely remember a little about the Red Parker years, probably a good thing. My parents met an Orange Bowl rep during the Maryland game in '81 and he gave them some puffy Orange Bowl Man stickers. After the game I caught Homer Jordan and slapped one on his chest, telling him he was taking us to the OB to win a national championship.

This past May when my daughter went to football camp, I told Dabo something special was coming with him at the helm. Little did I know what this season would bring.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2015, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Re: I've been a tiger fan since 1979, when I was old enough to watch ]

How long have you been a fan? What's your first memory. I'm a history buff.

Dec 26, 2015, 11:40 AM

I'm an old fart. My grandfather each year would take us to the USC-Clemson game. He and all of my family were Gamecocks. Therefore as a little boy I was a Gamecock fan. Well after going to Clemson one year and Columbia the next for quite a few years I realized that I liked Clemson better. However I was scared to tell my grandfather because he might stop taking me to the games. I distinctly remember a 7-6 USC victory at Clemson in the rain with me being a Gamecock and a guy for usc returning a punt for a td [I feel like a member of AA admitting this ) . I got so mad that I ripped off my USC jacket and threw it onto the hill proclaiming out loud that I was now a tiger fan. My older uncle who was with me told me that he was going to tell grandpa. At that moment I thought that I was seeing the last USC-Clemson game of my life. What have I done? Well as soon as we got back to the car my uncle spilled the beans about my announcement and informed grandpa that my USC coat was still on the hill in Death Valley. He acted mad but after driving all the way back to kingstree he told me that it didn't matter. My mother and father were really amazed too. I'm going to guess that this was around 1967.We could probably look for that 7-6 USC score in the history. Have a good day.

Dec 26, 2015, 11:47 AM

That was 1972... I was 9, and it was my first Carolina Clemson game. It was cold and wet and miserable, except we won. ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2015, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: I've been a tiger fan since 1979, when I was old enough to watch ]

Cool the 6-7 game was Nov 25th 1972. I started watching 5 years later . always thought a chicken was a dump mascot. Pulled for Clemson because the high school in my town at that time was the crescent tigers. I was a kid and thought they were connected. But I liked the color and the paw. My father hated sports and didn't want them on, so I'd go to neighbor's to watch. He still hates sports.
GO TIGERS!!

First game was the opening game of the 75 season

Dec 26, 2015, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: I've been a tiger fan since 1979, when I was old enough to watch ]

Clemson played Tulane at DV. Tulane won 17-13.

Great story***

Dec 26, 2015, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: I've been a tiger fan since 1979, when I was old enough to watch ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

My first memory was the 1959 Sugar Bowl on tv. I was 9 and all my relatives were

Dec 26, 2015, 2:13 PM

watching. A close neighbor of ours had a son who was a good player for Clemson. Things were tight in those days. I dont know how many games they could get too but I remember going in the donought where she worked and she had us kids listening to the game on radio. She was proud and we were proud to know someone
who had a son playing big time ball.
We lost to USuC in 68 on a punt return. Only touchdown in game. It was a clear day. 72 was the rain and sleet game we won when Jimmy Williamson knocked down their 2 pt try at end of game.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My first memory was the 1959 Sugar Bowl on tv. I was 9 and all my relatives were

Dec 26, 2015, 3:55 PM

That 68 game may be the game that I converted to a tiger. Any chance you remember if the Gamecock that returned the punt was Tyler Hellums or something similar? Time changes many memories and stories.

1956 was my first "Big Thursday"

Dec 26, 2015, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: I've been a tiger fan since 1979, when I was old enough to watch ]

We won and I threw my Rat Hat as far as I could!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2015, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Re: I've been a tiger fan since 1979, when I was old enough to watch ]

1980 I started sitting on my grandads lap watching.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been a Clemson fan since...

Dec 26, 2015, 5:34 PM

the 1978 Gator Bowl against Ohio State. I was 11 and it was the first time I had ever heard of Clemson but watching that team, the fans, the paw, & hearing tiger rag makes me just jump out of my shoes.

I have only been to DV once last year in DW's first start against UNC and went to the Chik Fil A bowl against LSU for 4th & 16. I was teethed & weened a buckeye fan but became a Clemson fan by the Grace of God. I have never felt a better family connection with Clemson fans ever anywhere, Ohio st has some good fans but growing up around them all my life it is easy to see why they are very much hated in the country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2015, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Re: I've been a tiger fan since 1979, when I was old enough to watch ]

1994 Tommy West 6th — 5 6 0 — — —

1996 T-2nd — 7 5 — Lost 1996 Peach Bowl against LSU Tigers, 10–7 ^ — —
1997 5th — 7 5 — Lost 1998 Peach Bowl against Auburn Tigers, 21–17 ^ — —
1998 T-8th — 3 8 — — — —
1999 Tommy Bowden 2nd — 6 6 —

I consider these years very tough years.

Maybe you don't though.

Did anyone go to the 74 Clemson - North Carolina game at DV?

Dec 26, 2015, 1:47 PM

My brother was telling me last week that was the first Clemson game he went to. From what I know it was a big win considering NC played in a bowl that year.

tigersincepell if you like history here is something

Dec 26, 2015, 2:05 PM

you might like that I posted several days ago being a bit of a history buff too.It's an article from the Anderson Independent about Red Parker but it covers a bit of mid 70s Clemson Football history.

http://www.independentmail.com/sports/college/clemson/red-parker-at-83-still-coaching-still-winning-still-enjoying-life-ep-708138568-344700932.html

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic