Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DW4 contract extension
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 4,546

DW4 contract extension

Feb 13, 2021, 3:38 PM

With everything that has transpired in Houston, it boggles me that Watson would sign that extension to stay with the Texans. Bill o brien was still the coach, you lost your best wide receiver and your offensive line is still a work in progress. Was he told things were going to get better or was he just seeing dollar signs. Now you have lost your defensive leader and Houston isn’t willing to let you go. Has dabo publicly said anything about all this.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DW4 contract extension

Feb 13, 2021, 3:42 PM

He got a $27mil signing bonus! Why in the world would he not sign it at the time. Especially if he can get his transfer he wants now?

Feb 13, 2021, 4:01 PM

“Transfer he wants” doesn’t seem to be working too well for him yet

Actually, it is working out very well so far as he has won

Feb 13, 2021, 4:08 PM

the PR battle by a large margin. He knows playing for the crappy Texans next year is a risk to his health and future and will sit out if he has to. Houston better maximize his value in a trade or it's only going to get worse for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He shouldn't have signed the deal if he didn't want to play

Feb 13, 2021, 6:58 PM

for them for the next 8 years, it's just that simple

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That would have been really stupid for him to do.

Feb 14, 2021, 9:41 AM

Which he definitely is not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And losing a year of money that he will NEVER recoup is

Feb 14, 2021, 4:00 PM

smart?

Feb 13, 2021, 3:53 PM

There were promises, and deals made to get DW4 to hang with the Texans, and the moment the owner, and GM made their decision on a head coaching hire and made the hire without even mentioning it with DW4, he knew they had told him a pack of lies to get his signature on a new contract. And I believe that is when DW4 made his decision, that he didn't want to play with an organisation that had just jerked him around!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2021, 4:57 PM

If Dabo hasnt said anything he is the only one. I think even the N Korean guy and Putin weighed in

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He comes off as easy going, amicable...

Feb 13, 2021, 6:31 PM

& even gratious; probably seemed the natural thing to do. I don't see it in his make up to play the percieved "villain"; hopefully he outlasts the Texans in a holdout but I doubt it. A better agent might have prevented this. Texans are a slow rebuild w/ no high draft assets, cap strapped(b4 his contract) b4 the 20 mil cap decrease, & last year their draft was god awful pathetic-

SHB> gracious****

Feb 14, 2021, 2:39 AM

It's very simple. Here is an explanation

Feb 13, 2021, 8:04 PM

1. The NFL has something called a Franchise Tag that allows teams to control players after a contract expires. It's really unfair but this is what was collectively bargained because the NFL players union is fairly weak (for various reasons). If Deshaun didn't sign the extension, the Texans would have been able to control him indefinitely using the franchise tag. Therefore, it isn't as if he tied himself to them by signing.

2. His extension has a no-trade clause, which puts him in total control of his destiny. He gets to choose/approve any potential trade partners. This is REALLY important and he would not have signed without it.

Deshaun would have been a complete fool to turn down $160 million. After signing and upon questioning, he specifically indicated he was not willing to make the same commitment to the Texans that Mahomes made to the Chiefs. Local Texans fans here clearly understood he was not fully confident in the organization and his decision was based on business only. We fully understand and don't blame him.

Hope this clears things up.

Re: It's very simple. Here is an explanation

Feb 13, 2021, 10:56 PM

My goodness. Folks on this Board seem to know more about DW4 business with Texans than he does. At some point this will all wash out and I expect DW4 to be in Houston playing QB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, you're wrong about it being indefinite, at most they

Feb 14, 2021, 7:16 PM [ in reply to It's very simple. Here is an explanation ]

could tie him in an extra 3 years, Two Franchise tags and a Transition tag

MoCity is the winner

Feb 14, 2021, 7:24 PM [ in reply to It's very simple. Here is an explanation ]

DW and his agent played it perfectly. This was calculated and the plan all along...and it is/was brilliant from a player business standpoint.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It sucks for the fans and it's bad for the game itself, I

Feb 14, 2021, 7:31 PM

would hate to see the NFL ruin the League like "player empowerment" ruined the NBA

Replies: 15
| visibility 4,546
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic