Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's not about player safety, it's about liability...The
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

It's not about player safety, it's about liability...The

Aug 9, 2020, 10:32 PM

school Presidents don't want to be on the hook for future lawsuits, it has nothing to do with what's best for the players at all

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sad, but most likely, true.***

Aug 9, 2020, 10:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Why is it sad?!?

Aug 9, 2020, 11:33 PM

Do you want Clemson getting sued because a player dies from COVID? That is a PR nightmare. No thanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Why is it sad?!?

Aug 9, 2020, 11:37 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you think the players are safer out in the world than on

Aug 10, 2020, 12:01 AM [ in reply to Why is it sad?!? ]

campus you are an idiot...A third of our team showed up with it, if you truly care about the players, you want them in our program, getting tested regularly and treated if anything does happen...The real world doesn't stop just because you get scared guy

Do you want Clemson sued because a player...

Aug 10, 2020, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Why is it sad?!? ]

...had to return home to a much less safe environment? Contracted Covid and died? What safer place could these kids be in right now than our athletic dept with constant testing and medical care? Get off your high horse and think. So many personal injury lawyers are licking their chops waiting on these cases either way so it doesn't even matter. The politics and scare tactics of all this is getting old.

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Do you remember tucker hips?

Aug 10, 2020, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Why is it sad?!? ]

If they stay on campus and get sick, clemson gets sued.

If they are sent home and get sick, clemson gets sued.

I don't think there is a way clemson doesn't get sued

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

You can sue for more reasons than death.

Aug 10, 2020, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Why is it sad?!? ]

Personel injury, mental anguish, negligence, unsanitary conditions, financial exploitation, malpractice, to name a few.

I think the lawyers already have the football program covered because any of those things could
happen, including death, which happens in college football.

Thirty-seven players as reported by the "State" have tested positive for Covid.
Are they poised to sue?

It's not the liability, it's the negative Public Relations they are are afraid of if someone
dies from the covid.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's not about player safety, it's about liability...The

Aug 9, 2020, 10:38 PM

True yet three Big10 schools let pervy docs molest student athletes for years and did nothing. I guess those $ settlements woke their sorry behinds up and now they're skeered

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, once they ask their schools’ legal advisor about

Aug 9, 2020, 10:39 PM

potential liability if one or more players die, that will be a huge negative.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And the same lawyers that will be waiting for a chance to

Aug 9, 2020, 11:26 PM

represent a player in a wrongful death suit, will also be lined up to sue a universtiy for not honoring a scholarship they can no longer pay for....

Agreed _ this thread is hitting on the issues.***

Aug 9, 2020, 10:55 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is the school liable if a player decides to play?

Aug 9, 2020, 11:08 PM

Schools have already said that the scholarships are going to be honored if you "opt out".

Seems like, inherently, kids are taking on the risk of covid, the risk of knee injury, the risk of heat exhaustion, etc

There still would be settlements and legal costs

Aug 9, 2020, 11:29 PM

Aug 9, 2020, 11:36 PM

Then they are doing the right thing if that is their thinking. It is a business.

It’s irrational though

Aug 9, 2020, 11:39 PM

Re: It’s irrational though

Aug 10, 2020, 1:01 AM

True, but the liability is different. I think they should play, but just being devils advocate.

If you haven't noticed, the leagues where sports IS their

Aug 10, 2020, 12:05 AM [ in reply to Re: It's not about player safety, it's about liability...The ]

business are going to actually play...If the NFL starts regularly airing games on Saturday, college football is screwed when it tries to come back, the $ will follow the NFL

Re: If you haven't noticed, the leagues where sports IS their

Aug 10, 2020, 1:03 AM

They will always be back for college. College allegiance and loyalty is so much stronger. I think they should play of course. If there is a strong a liability issue that's a tough one to not comply to. It's just a reality of business.

Aug 9, 2020, 11:53 PM

They better send all the students home, then, because cancelling football is essentially admitting risk. There is not one shred of medical evidence that varsity sports present a greater risk of COVID-19 transmission than the activities that regular students will be permitted to engage in. In fact, plenty of common sense says regular students (less supervision, less medical care, less well-conditioned bodies, less motivated to avoid risky behaviors, less easy to contact trace) are at higher risk. Unless they’re ready to send everyone home, cancelling sports isn’t avoiding lawsuits, it’s inviting them.

Now that's thinking like a tort lawyer...***

Aug 10, 2020, 3:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 9, 2020, 11:56 PM

This is very obvious. When a practice or activity can cause an entity to be sued out of business, the entity will cease the activity out of self preservation.

There is nothing wrong with that at all.

Hasn't like half the team gotten Covid? They haven't seemed

Aug 10, 2020, 12:57 AM

worry about any liability thus far. I think the future would only be safer for them in a football bubble now!

The diving board syndrome***

Aug 10, 2020, 8:37 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Exactly!***

Aug 10, 2020, 9:22 AM

This whole premise is nonsense.

Aug 10, 2020, 8:49 AM

You can barely rely on test to tell you if you have the Rona. There is zero way to prove where you got it.

I believe this is all politics and the ones pushing for shutdowns are grasping at straws to find logical reasons to do so.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 10, 2020, 8:57 AM

Seems like it is about the money (as always). If there is no college football (also no liability for the universities), then the NFL has no competition. I wonder if the NFL suddenly got the bright idea to share some revenue with the Power 5 if they would cancel the season? Just a conspiratorial thought.

That’s right. They players just want to play

Aug 10, 2020, 9:01 AM

Nobody is forcing anyone to play football.

It usually is about liability and covering your ###. Sad state of affairs

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LAWYERS vs ACCOUNTANTS will decide CFB/CBB 2020

Aug 10, 2020, 9:35 AM

It all depends on which of these 2 scenerios play out with the University BOT's & Presidents. Which is the greater risk--- lawsuits or financial disasters for the schools. Many of these schools (and towns like Clemson) will not ever recover without the revenue of college athletics. These players are MUCH better off medically on campus & under constant testing protocols than 'off the grid'.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic