Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let's say I'm a Fike Donor ($8,000) and before all this I
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Let's say I'm a Fike Donor ($8,000) and before all this I

Aug 20, 2020, 5:06 PM

told IPTAY I wanted my 12 tickets.

And let's say I have 550 priority points.

If I say to IPTAY - "keep my $8,000" they will give me 100 additional priority points. And then they will tell me that all they can offer me is 4 season tickets that I have to pay an additional $450 each for - so another $1,800.

And these will be in the Upper Deck, 20 yard line.

And then it comes down we can't tailgate at all. Or I can't tailgate with my 25 family members like we always do.

All of this is held together by the offer of 100 priority points - Points that I have LONG felt were these mysterious, "do they really do anything" reward system because you never know where you stand as compared to everyone else. They could say 550 points puts me in the bottom half of the 800 Fike Donors last year . . . . or they could tell me it puts me in the top 10% of the Fike level - I wouldn't know.

And all anyone has to do is jump in at the Heisman Level in their first year and they are ahead of me . . . and they have ZERO points.

And all that 100 points does is give me 100 points that MIGHT push me ahead of a few other Fike donors - but it may not. Or if I don't do it and other Fike Donors do, I may drop below a few other Fike Donors or a LOT of other Fike Donors - I don't know.

BUT - everything I have read says that if I give at Fike next year and I request the same number of tickets, I will get my same tickets that I got in 2019.

So what has that 100 points gotten me ? ? ? ?

What am I missing here ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

$8000 gave a young softball player the chance to

Aug 20, 2020, 5:12 PM

Go to clemson.

But I think you are asking.. what's in it for me?

Well , 8000 got you your original points.. just like any other year. If you want , it will get you 100 more points.

Or you can keep your status and get all your monies back. You lose nothing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I understand what it does for the Student-Athlete and I

Aug 20, 2020, 5:30 PM

knew this would be someone's response - or a lot of people's response, possibly.

According to the IPTAY website, it provides housing for 1 athlete for the year - FYI.

I guess you could also say it goes towards that pretty HUGE administrative cost number that has been debated on here a bunch lately.

I guess you could also say it takes an $8,000 bite out of Davis Babb's $250,000 annual salary . . . leaving only $242,000 left on the tab for someone else to pick up.

I'm just a working stiff - not somebody sitting on a mountain of money that piously doles out greenbacks with a high sense of superiority.

I'm trying to figure out what this points thing is really all about.

Have a good one - G O T I G E R S ! !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: I understand what it does for the Student-Athlete and I

Aug 20, 2020, 6:16 PM

Yea I saw that debated and I think the overhead rate is reasonable. I don’t think the system is perfect, but I do think you make a valid point about the points. It’s like giving stock away before an IPO is released.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

U mentioned a few admin fees but not dabo's

Aug 21, 2020, 9:43 AM [ in reply to I understand what it does for the Student-Athlete and I ]

His salary is probably as much as all the others combined.

You must be a much harder and smarter working stiff than me. No way I could afford to donate $8000. Grats on life.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I'll say this as a testiment to Dabo, not as a knock on Babb

Aug 21, 2020, 10:22 AM

and all the others . . . .

Dabo has done more positive for Clemson Athletics than all those others combined . . . and with VERY little downside.

Just my opinion - not trying to stir the pot.

Absolutely. You could debate all day long about whether

Aug 21, 2020, 10:59 AM

coaches are worth that kind of money. But, the bottom line is, like in any other situation: Those who are the best at what they do will be paid at the upper limit of what the market will bear. If all other head coaches were making $100,000 per year, then Dabo would be there.

Re: U mentioned a few admin fees but not dabo's

Aug 21, 2020, 10:31 AM [ in reply to U mentioned a few admin fees but not dabo's ]

Dabo is responsible for the $38.7 million donated to IPTAY 2020.

He is also responsible for millions every year in the university's coffers.

Dabo is paid what he is paid because he earns it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hear a hundred extra points ensures that you get a

Aug 20, 2020, 5:36 PM

really nice set of steak knives. But, then again, I've heard that before.

Re: Let's say I'm a Fike Donor ($8,000) and before all this I

Aug 20, 2020, 6:08 PM

I think you've pretty much got it. With your higher number of points, it probably won't make much difference for you, but for people in the 0-150 range, it really does.

There are around 12,000 donors that give at the Howard ($2400) level or lower. This pretty much guarantees most of those lower donors (particularly below $1000) will leave their donations and that adds up for IPTAY. It also makes for a tough decision for those in the mid range (say Howard to McFadden) with say 40-150 points because they could be jumped by many of those lower range people in one year.

It also makes people like described in your hypothetical really think about leaving their money because of FOMO (fear of missing out), or fear that after all they've donated over the years to get to that point, and don't want to be jumped by people just below them who are taking advantage.

It works for IPTAY, and if you value points, it's a good deal for the donors. If you don't value points, or lost your job through everything, or whatever, you can get your money back this year, and not lose anything for the future.

Aug 20, 2020, 6:18 PM

I'm more concerned about getting any tickets at all. I'm at the Champion level ( $900 ) and have not missed a home game since 1971. I would like to keep my streak going .

I'm with you***

Aug 21, 2020, 9:45 AM

I'm pretty much the exact opposite

Aug 21, 2020, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Let's say I'm a Fike Donor ($8,000) and before all this I ]

I've been to hundreds of Clemson games since I started as a small boy in the 70's, a student in the 80's and a grad ever since. Haven't missed a home game in I don't know how many years, been decades.

But I'm fully willing to skip a year, I've been fortunate enough to see plenty more than my share. And there's more in years to come. I wish they'd just limit it to current students and player families to prevent all this "what-about-me" turmoil to come.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm more concerned about getting any tickets at all. I'm at the Champion level ( $900 ) and have not missed a home game since 1971. I would like to keep my streak going .

All I know is it helps with the hardware...

Aug 20, 2020, 6:47 PM

I want some more natties so I'm letting them keep my money! I remember when we used to lose and how good winning those natties felt. I want lots more before I croak.

Aug 20, 2020, 7:22 PM

We are not asking for our $8,000 IPTAY contribution back and we are redshirting so not receiving any tickets. Ticket cost will be rolled over to next year, IPTAY contribution will not. In the past we've only been able to deduct a portion of our IPTAY contribution. Since this year we will receive no goods or services, I hope we can deduct the entire $8000 as a tax-deductible donation. Any CPAs or tax attorneys out there who can speak to this?

Aug 20, 2020, 7:56 PM

Great question. Where are you CPA’s?

I work for a CPA and that's the way I understand it. If you

Aug 21, 2020, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Let's say I'm a Fike Donor ($8,000) and before all this I ]

donate to an athletic organization but do not get any benefits due to that donation, your contribution is deductible, as long as you have more total deductions than your standard deduction based on your marital status.

So that is still a question - since you get "points"

Aug 21, 2020, 10:52 AM

The IRS has been asked specifically to rule on whether "points" constitute something of value, and the IRS still has not issued a ruling. That is why Clemson's guidance indicates that your entire donation is not tax deductible even when you donate well in excess of the seat equity price of your tickets - most people view points as a seating preference which causes your entire deduction to be non-deductible under the new law.

Tax deduction

Aug 21, 2020, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Let's say I'm a Fike Donor ($8,000) and before all this I ]

Long story short on the tax deduction... if you get/accept points for the donation, it is not deductible. The points are a benefit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2005_cws_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's just points, sort of like a pulse.***

Aug 21, 2020, 3:20 AM

I have been having similar discussions with other friends.

Aug 21, 2020, 11:01 AM

If you like your seats, or are in a suite or premium seating area, I'm not sure what difference 100 points makes. Leaving $8,000 on the table, likely non deductible because you got "points," is pretty generous, and Clemson has definitely shown in the years since the seat equity plan went into effect, that they are a "what have you done for me lately" organization. I'll never forget when seat equity came out reading a Billy D quote that said, "the thing about loyalty is, it doesn't pay the bills." I love Clemson and enjoy our success, but make no mistake, Clemson wants its check.

Re: I have been having similar discussions with other friends.

Aug 21, 2020, 12:05 PM

I’m a Heisman Level donor with over 600 points. There is no way I’m going to give IPTAY $12K this year and only gain 100 additional points when I get almost 50 points every year. However, If I were donor at the Tiger to Jervey Level I’d consider it. If lower than that, there is no question that I’d go for it. It would take over 20 years for someone at the Champion level to earn that many points. The problem is, most people at one of those levels will probably Redshirt this year and create a glut of people with 100+ points.

2024 purple level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2020, 12:16 PM

I agree. I'm really struggling with the 100 points regardless of level. For those at mid- to upper levels, IPTAY is sending a very bad message here.

I don't understand how a $60 or $180 donor gets as many points as those giving thousands of dollars. And those donors that drop below 50%, still donating much more than lower levels, get zero points while others giving far less get the 100 points.

It should have been contribution based bonus points.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2020, 4:54 PM

Everyone is reading this wrong. The points are going to affect your strength in the level you give only. They dont put you against anyone as far as tickets or parking in the level you are not giving. Its a pretty good deal keeps you on top of the level you are competing against.

Don't forget that you can sell your tickets back...

Nov 14, 2013, 10:26 PM
Capture.JPG(112.0 K)

In your situation, you can get an additional 80.6 points. 20.6 points for cash value priority points and 60 for the season ticket donation (5 points per season ticket).

Refer to: https://iptaycuad.com/2020bonus/ for more info.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic