Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It's gonna take a few 8-4 years to free us of some of these bandwagon fans.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

It's gonna take a few 8-4 years to free us of some of these bandwagon fans.

Sep 9, 2018, 4:00 PM

People who complain about playcalling, which qb gets more snaps, clock management, uniforms, balloons, the barometric pressure in the stadium, cheerleader underwear color, in the midst of perennial 10 win seasons.

They either didnt suffer through the Bowden and West years, or (worse), witnessed those 20 years and still cant enjoy our unprecedented success now.

We used to blow up fax machines to get in the Humanitarian Bowl, so we could watch our 2 good players play in Boise (free Roscoe Crosby). Now some people complain if our 4 DL All Americans dont blow up the QB on every play. Or they complain if we dont blow out a quality opponent on the road.

That fan referenced in the front page article who said "this feels like a loss" is the epitome of this attitude. Felt and looked a lot like a win to me.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Success will always breed high expectations, which is

Sep 9, 2018, 4:14 PM

exactly what good folks like yourself are now experiencing among our fan base.

It's not necessarily a bad thing unless the people crying the most overwhelm themselves with their emotions. Hence, why it's a good idea for all of us to take a step back from the ledge occasionally...and be thankful for what we have.

I've learned not to get upset with most of the ranting, because I know these great fans want what's best for our program and Clemson and are passionate about those wants.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Success will always breed high expectations, which is

Sep 9, 2018, 4:52 PM

Totally agree. Many people only see the outcome and look for the reason why. A play does not work so it must be play calling. No understanding of what it takes to make a play successful. For example why don’t we throw deep. Well maybe we don’t feel we can block long enough and just calling the play does not mean it will work. Maybe they have two safeties over the top. Maybe it was a good play call and the line failed to account for a blitzed. We had one play where the nose guard whipped the center and came without being touched. I guaremteee we don’t have a play that worlds when that happens. If anyone could do it everyone would. But alas there are only four active coaches whom have won a natty. What are the other 129 or so doing?

Re: It's gonna take a few 8-4 years to free us of some of these bandwagon fans.

Sep 9, 2018, 4:16 PM

Couldn't agree more. I was young during the west years but really grew up during the Bowden years. Can't help but analyze and point out issues, which we do have showing last night. But this current coaching staff with Dabo in charge hasn't let any of us down like the Bowden years did. They know what they're doing. They themselves know what problems they have to fix starting with them, and I'm fully confident that the issues we do have can easily be fixed. Go tigers

100% agree! I can put up with it here on TigerNet,

Sep 9, 2018, 4:32 PM

but to have 4 fans sit behind you at the game and do it the WHOLE game, sucks big-time. Airplane door is shutting and attendant is giving me the eye...

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

POTD!!!!***

Sep 9, 2018, 4:45 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I understand your general point, I don’t think it is reasonable

Sep 9, 2018, 4:45 PM

to compare our expectations now with what they were under Bowden or West. We are way more talented now, and with that naturally comes higher expectations.

Of course we are all glad to beat a good team on the road, but to be fair, it was an unranked team. We aren’t exactly complaining because we narrowly beat a top 5 or even top 10 team on the road. If that were the case, you would have more of a valid point.

I think A&M is a good team, probably a top 20 team, but we had no business being in such a close game. Our offensive play calling leaves a lot to be desired. So does our secondary play. I’m sure we will improve as the season goes along, but the fact that we continue to seem clueless on offense despite so many returning players and our coaching continuity is baffling.

Our performance last night was (barely) good enough for the win, but it is nowhere near what we will need if we want to win a playoff game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: While I understand your general point, I don’t think it is reasonable

Sep 9, 2018, 4:53 PM

Right but it's the 2nd game of the year. We gucked up the 10th game of the year against Pitt and we all know how that worked out.

It was also the second game of the year for almost every other team yesterday.

Sep 9, 2018, 5:03 PM

So I’m not really sure what that has to do with anything.

I can forgive freshman mistakes, or just a bad day at the office from time to time, but I see a really concerning trend on offense in terms of play calling.

Why can other teams pass over the middle with no problem, but we can’t?

Why do other teams seem to make key adjustments, and we don’t?

Why don’t we take more advantage of our running backs?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

We won, what more do we need?***

Sep 9, 2018, 5:05 PM [ in reply to While I understand your general point, I don’t think it is reasonable ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So because we won, we can’t talk about anything bad or concerning?

Sep 9, 2018, 5:10 PM

Of course winning is the most important objective, but I don’t think that should prevent fans on a message board from discussing some of the not so positive aspects as well.

Re: So because we won, we can’t talk about anything bad or concerning?

Sep 9, 2018, 7:06 PM

Agreed 100%, but go back and read some of the posts from around 10pm last night. That wasn't discussing anything. It was aimless b!tching from spoiled, uninformed keyboard jockeys.

Very true.***

Sep 9, 2018, 7:29 PM

Re: So because we won, we can’t talk about anything bad or concerning?

Sep 9, 2018, 10:27 PM [ in reply to Re: So because we won, we can’t talk about anything bad or concerning? ]

Never ever ever read TigerNet during a game. Think of who takes the time to post during a close game. They should be focused on the game. Not typing a post. That lack of attention to the game automatically disqualifies their opinion.

Think you missed the coot board. They would love ALL your

Sep 9, 2018, 5:07 PM [ in reply to While I understand your general point, I don’t think it is reasonable ]

negativity!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you feel great about our offense today?

Sep 9, 2018, 5:12 PM

Since we won, you don’t have any concerns?

You don’t care about miscues or mistakes unless we lose?

Re: While I understand your general point, I don’t think it is reasonable

Sep 9, 2018, 5:50 PM [ in reply to While I understand your general point, I don’t think it is reasonable ]

Yes, they were unranked, but those rankings are pure speculation based on the predictions of nothing more than self proclaimed experts. They’re not experts, they became experts by claiming to be experts, nothing more. I submit that the preseason rankings have all of the validity of determining your future based on interpretations derived from a toads entrails.

Pigs of cheerleaders underwear color?***

Sep 9, 2018, 4:47 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pigs of cheerleaders underwear color?***

Sep 9, 2018, 5:02 PM

Why do you want pigs of the male cheerleaders' underwear? Uh - never mind.

The females usually just color coordinate their color with their lipstick color. Now you know.

Time to start loading up the .44...

Sep 9, 2018, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Pigs of cheerleaders underwear color?*** ]

It’s time to learn some T-Netters how to treat daughters with respeck!

~JKB

Sep 9, 2018, 5:32 PM

To say we beat a mediocre team last night is ridiculous. Granted, they were not in the preseason top 25. Does the media produce anything less meaningful in life than the preseason polls? As Dabo says repeatedly, the only poll that matters is the one at the end of the season. IF you don't think aTm will be in the top 10 or 15 teams at the end of the year, you don't know much about football. Jimbo has done a tremendous job getting those guys to buy in this quickly. The SEC West is the toughest division in the country, with Alabama, Auburn, LSU and aTm. Granted, we didn't play our best game last night and aTm probably did. But those guys are going to win some games this year. No chance they'll win less then 9, and I think they'll put up a good fight against Bama and Auburn. Their offensive line did a superb job against what is likely the best defensive line to ever play college football. And their QB's performance was quite impressive. So while I agree we have a long way to go to be National Champions again, I trust the coaches to study the film and use this as a teaching moment. I've been a fan for 60 years and can tell you, these are the glory days of Clemson Football. If you can't enjoy the ride, you really should consider another team or sport. I was a Tommy Bowden fan but if he had been out coach last night, we would have lost that game. Dabo is among the greatest of all time. He will right the wrongs. So why not relax and trust the system? Grumbling and complaining sends a very negative message. Let's face it, we don't know what sites recruits visit. I surely hope none would ever be on here and read some of the hateful stuff that is posted at times. Clemson football is an elite program. We've been in the playoffs 3 consecutive years and will no doubt be back again this year. So take a deep breath and be grateful. Send a letter to Dabo if you think you know better what the team needs. Whether or not he listens, you'll have gotten it off your chest without contaminating others. But whatever you do, don't miss out on the joy that is the greatest time in history to be a Clemson Tiger. It's not going to get a lot better than this. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2018, 6:00 PM

They weren't in the pre-season polls simply because of getting a new coach and no one knew what t expect of the team.

Wonder how many noticed that in their loss to us, they just jumped in the polls...they are sitting right outside the top 25 now, at 27 in the AP, and 26 in the coaches. Not much longer, if they keep winning, they will be a top 25 team.

Sep 9, 2018, 6:19 PM [ in reply to Re: It's gonna take a few 8-4 years to free us of some of these bandwagon fans. ]

As they say a win on the road in a hostile stadium is tough. Add to that that Clemson being at or near the top of the mountain we will get everybody's best shot. I know there were mistakes and the coaches will have that cleaned up as the season goes on. You also have to give QB Mond a lot of credit that dude was very mobile and elusive and made some good throws. To those that are bandwagon fans we will struggle at times and hopefully still win like last night but it also is a learning and building process and the team will continue to get better and better and we should have a really good team rolling into the latter part of the season and the ACC championship game and beyond. If we do stumble and fall it will be disappointing but we can still hold our heads high knowing that we have had a great ride and we will be back. Enjoy the ride and no matter what happens the sun will come up the next day.

Who complained about cheerleader underwear color?

Sep 9, 2018, 6:03 PM

That's someone's daughter 44 and all

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea there was no complaining on tnet in the Bowden era

Sep 9, 2018, 6:04 PM

Ole Rob Spence got nothing but love!

I have been through some really bad seasons during my life,

Sep 9, 2018, 6:04 PM

including a 2-9 one. I pray we don't ever see those again. I would rather roll my eyes and put up with these idiots and keep winning 12 plus games a year. Your point is well taken, though.

I recall the days that...

Sep 9, 2018, 7:32 PM

we only got a few 4-star players, but many fans felt like we got all the talents in the world. I kept saying, with the talents we got, winning 8 or 9 games a year is a reasonable result. And, yes, I went through those bad years too.

Now, we can everything goes in the right direction. I don’t think there is another program in the country that has the same level of sustainability and I wouldn’t trade places with any of them.

Sep 9, 2018, 7:47 PM

So you are saying that just because 8-10 years ago we were not very good that we should be excited about getting lucky last night.
I am very thankful we escaped last night don’t get me wrong.
But the O got a pass last year because very young.
So far this season it is trending the same way and struggles for large parts of the game.
Allowing a team we should have beat by 3 TDs to almost come back and get a W.
Putting pressure on our D and wearing them out.
14 first downs and 59 plays is not getting it done.
We will never Click on O as long as the play calling is predictable.
With the talent on this team the Coaches should be looking like they all need a raise.
Wouldn’t be concerned if this was a once in a while problem.
Last year without an excellent D the Tigers definitely don’t win 12 games.

There is nothing wrong with us fans

Sep 9, 2018, 7:54 PM

Yeah, compared to Hatfield, West, and CTB, we are in heaven.

Sep 9, 2018, 9:20 PM

Though I couldn’t agree more with your post, I have to say.....be careful with that logic around here man, you’ll get hurt. Haha

I'll have you know I have never complained about

Sep 9, 2018, 10:31 PM

the color of any cheerleader's underwear color. ( That means I'm okay then?).

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I might agree with your general sentiment...

Sep 9, 2018, 10:34 PM

... I don't know what that has to do with bandwagon fans.

Bandwagon fans, IMHO, are folks who used to pull for another team but in the last 4 or 5 years they became "Clemson fans" and will remain so until we have a couple of bad years and a new shiny team becomes dominant then they'll jump on that bandwagon. An example would be Miami in the 80s/90s.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic