Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Going to Wake Oct 6. Never been to a game there
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Going to Wake Oct 6. Never been to a game there

Aug 29, 2018, 9:49 PM

Any advice from the road warriors?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Easy in, easy out. Not a bad seat anywhere.

Aug 29, 2018, 9:51 PM

Park practically next to the stadium.

Best road trip there is within driving distance.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Easy in, easy out. Not a bad seat anywhere.

Aug 29, 2018, 9:57 PM

I assume hotel rooms are easy, too? Expecting a late game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure. I live in Belmont NC which is only 1:20 away.

Aug 29, 2018, 10:01 PM

We have a spare room. LOL

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Not sure. I live in Belmont NC which is only 1:20 away.

Aug 30, 2018, 1:03 PM

Rates? Breakfast included?

Re: Going to Wake Oct 6. Never been to a game there

Aug 29, 2018, 9:52 PM

great trip. you will go back

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make sure you head down to Randleman to visit the Richard Petty Museum.

Aug 29, 2018, 9:54 PM

The Petty Museum hours of operation are Monday thru Saturday 9:00am - 5:00pm.

Admission to Petty Museum:

Adults: $10.00
Seniors 60 & Up: $8.00
Children 7-16: $5.00
Military Discount w/ID: $8.00
Children 6 and under are free.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Make sure you head down to Randleman to visit the Richard Petty Museum.

Aug 29, 2018, 9:56 PM

Watch for the Krispy Creme light to go on, and get in like quick.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^Not a real fatty.. It’s Kreme!!***

Aug 29, 2018, 11:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they have seat backs and sell beer.

Aug 29, 2018, 9:58 PM

park in the coliseum parking lot, walk across the street to the stadium. Any seat has a decent view. Was bitter cold and windy last time, but generally a good trip.

Re: they have seat backs and sell beer.

Aug 31, 2018, 12:12 AM

The hardest game I sat all the way through. Didn’t have the layers for it

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You'll have a great time.

Aug 29, 2018, 9:58 PM

Parking is easy, and very close to the stadium. There will be plenty of other Clemson fans there. Wake's campus is small but pretty if you have time to check it out. Lots of eating choices nearby. If you're staying overnight, there are a lot of hotel options in Winston-Salem.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

A great road game to go to. No bad seats. Easy parking.

Aug 29, 2018, 10:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been to the Thursday night games there. Easy trip.

Aug 29, 2018, 10:30 PM

The traffic great in both directions. Can park easily at Joel Colosseum. Small stadium but all the seats are fine. They do have beer gardens in the stadium if you get bored with the Tigers whipping the Deacs!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2018, 10:32 PM

The Dixie Classic Fair will be going on this year across the street from the stadium. It will make parking much more difficult. Might be worth looking for a parking pass in the stadium lots.

Aug 30, 2018, 8:45 AM

Do you live in Yadkinville? I have heard that I have fellow Tigers in that area but have yet to find them. My son works for the Health Dept in Yville and he keeps me posted on things like that. I’m up the road in Wilkes but frequent your village often.

Check out Stoney Knoll Vineyards and Winery

Aug 30, 2018, 1:09 PM

The vintner knows his craft! Makes Syrah and Chambourcin worthy of Napa.

Aug 29, 2018, 10:39 PM

I’m heading up there myself. I grew up in Winston. I couldn’t wait to leave as a kid, but appreciate it now as an adult. Really nice town. Affluent. Wake doesn’t get much attention, even from the locals. Most locals are fans of UNC or the other NC schools. It’s a beautiful school to visit. The stadium is a few miles away from Campus. Wake fans are polite but a little too high-end for my taste. Anybody that spends 60K/year for school probably won’t appreciate a big Tiger Tailgate. I expect Clemson to own the pre-game party. The parking lot will be empty when our fans setup their tailgates. Wake fans are the wine and cheese crowd, but not as arrogant as UNC or Duke. They may laugh or be surprised at our fandom because they just don’t have a clue about bigtime football. Clemson is an anamoly to them. They just don’t get it.

If you are looking for local attractions I’ve listed some below.

Reynolda House. It was the home of RJ Reynolds and has a wonderful art collection. Not on the scale of Biltmore, but an interesting place. It’s also adjacent to the WFU campus.

Drive down Reynolda Road towards downtown in the fall. The leaves are beautiful and the drive offers some of nicest homes in the older section of Winston.

Old Salem. Winston-Salem has a large Moravian population. I grew up Moravian myself. These German settlers were similar to the Puritans. Old Salem is the orgianal Moravian settlement. You’ll find buildings from the 1700s. Very interesting. If you go, make sure to go by the bakery.

Other attractions include: Tanglewood, The Nature Science Center and Hanes Mall.

BTW- Winston is a very safe town but Groves Stadium is closer to a more dangerous side of town. You shouldn’t have anything to worry about but be vigilant.

LOL. Not much of a difference between Clemson and Wake

Aug 29, 2018, 11:08 PM

people. You'll find a mix of nice and mean, wealthy and middle class, etc. in both. The only real difference is that we have a great football team and they don't.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I think there is a lot of difference between w-s and Clemson

Aug 29, 2018, 11:29 PM

I have lived in both, they are nothing alike. Winston is much bigger than Clemson, and the University has little to do with the city. Clemson University is Clemson.

I agree, but I was referring to fans, not cities.***

Aug 29, 2018, 11:48 PM

Aug 29, 2018, 10:39 PM

Last time was cold, as others have said, and also a good trip (it helps when you dismantle the opponent).

Just try not to laugh at the most exciting ... something something when the demon deac mascot enters the stadium. :D

It's a great trip....... you'll have fun

Aug 29, 2018, 10:45 PM

Wake fans are fine. Stadium has been renovated years ago and it's not bad.

Enjoy it.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 29, 2018, 11:52 PM

I live in WS and yes the fair is in town that weekend. Should still be able to find parking but more challenging than normal. Wake fans are good - hospitable and recognize they’re not a threat to Clemson and bama! There is a lot of road construction up here right now but shouldn’t bother you too much where you’re going. Just plan accordingly due to the fair and should be fine. Not sure why they schedule Clemson during the fair as they know that game will draw a crowd regardless. As far as safety I will mention that the stadium and nearby hotels are not the best part of town - and crime is high of late. You will be fine but I’d putnaway valuables before leaving your car. I’d recommend a hotel downtown or another part of town than near the stadium. Don’t stay where the team stays - i think the Hilton at US52.

Went there in '16 like some say there's not a bad seat in the stadium

Aug 30, 2018, 4:56 AM

But I freezed my *** off.... Coldest game I think I've ever been too.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2018, 6:32 AM

Check the weather forecast...last time we were there was 25 mph winds out of the north and 29 degrees at kickoff...now that was a windchill.

Aug 30, 2018, 6:42 AM

It's a nice little stadium

Here's my advice

Aug 30, 2018, 6:57 AM

Don't have the same experience that my fellow Tiger fans and I had there in 2003!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Here's my advice

Aug 30, 2018, 1:17 PM

Nah, we always win when I take in a road game.

Aug 30, 2018, 7:02 AM

Now you've got me thinking about that trip was going to Atlanta but I'm on call.

This will be a great trip to supplement!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIP: If you go without tickets ...

Aug 30, 2018, 7:47 AM

... go directly to the Wake Forest parking areas and hold up a sign. Tickets are plentiful over there while nobody has any extras in the Clemson section. I walked around the Clemson fans for over an hour with no luck, then found a pair for $20 each immediately from Wake fan. I’ve been there several times. As others have said ... a great road game experience.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TIP: If you go without tickets ...

Aug 30, 2018, 1:19 PM

I bought on StubHub. Section 16, row WW. On the 50, visitor side according to the site.

Aug 30, 2018, 9:24 AM

Step 1: Either set up your tailgate or go to one of the few nearby bars (Putters, Pryme Time, Last Resort)
Step 2: Watch the tigers dominate for ~3 hours.
Step 3: Stay at a hotel downtown (Marriot or Embassy Suites are prime location)
Step 4: Eat at Mozelles for a nice dinner. Crafted the art of the taco, Camel City BBQ, and Mellow Mushroom are solid choices as well.
Step 5: For the younger crowd - go to Bulls Tavern or Whiskey Box.... older crowd will enjoy Finnegans Wake or Fiddlin' Fish Brewery. Bar Pina is a new roof top bar that is pretty nice as well.
Step 6: Sunday morning go to Sweet Potatoes for a top notch breakfast. Famous Toastery and Mary's Diner aren't bad options either.

I've lived in downtown Winston for 2 years and that would be my game plan.

Wake is a good road game to attend...

Aug 30, 2018, 10:12 AM

1 - It's a relatively short drive

2 - Tickets are generally plentiful. In fact, I've been there on several occasions when the fans in orange out-numbered the Wake fans.

3 - With the fairgrounds and the Lawrence Joel Arena across the street, there is plenty of parking all within a short walk to the stadium.

4 - Not really a bad seat in the house

5 - Wake now sells alcohol at their games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Aug 30, 2018, 1:22 PM

We went to the Wake games many times. Friend graduated from Wake so we would rotate getting tickets for the games. Wake has a fairly new stadium that is nice and clean. They do not tailgate but you will have plenty of room to tailgate yourself. Last time we went tailgating was 85% Clemson, 10% Wake and then none. The people are very friendly. It’s not hard to find parking right at the stadium, usually same time as their fair, and not that hard getting out of there

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Aug 30, 2018, 10:20 PM

Will consider going to the game if the weather is decent since I live just an hour and 20 minutes away. Last trip wasn't very much fun as Charlie Whitehurst and the guys had an extremely bad day. Parked north of the stadium below the corner of Reynolds Blvd and Shorefair Dr. Curious if that area is still a good possibility.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

It’s a good time at a wake game

Aug 30, 2018, 10:52 PM

I’ve seen is play there 5 times, saw two losses (one being Bowden’s last stand) and three wins one being the Gaines Adams game (thought we were done and would’ve been my 3rd loss in row there and we won it after Gaines started that comeback) and saw us win the championship year with DW4 and MWilliams leading the way(Very cold that game.) I like going to Wake. It’s low pressure and generally a good time. Close to Charlotte too.

Aug 30, 2018, 11:45 PM

I live a couple miles from Wake’s stadium. On game day, I will give the trip an extra 10 minutes... a welcome change from what we are used to!

I recommend the Kimpton hotel downtown, has a game room in the basement with bowling, basketball, pool, etc and is dog friendly. Lots of great local restaurants in the downtown area. I will post recommendations when we get to game week.

Was my first road game years back w my son.

Aug 30, 2018, 11:47 PM

Easy parking, tickets cheap, wake fans are very nice bc they know Tigers going to whoop dat a. All around very enjoyable.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 31, 2018, 12:08 AM

Just got home from work, tickets came in the mail today. Will be my first time going there too, taking my oldest son for his first game since DW4 first career start at home vs UNCheat... can't wait!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic