Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After watching a Netflix show a couple weeks ago
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

After watching a Netflix show a couple weeks ago

Feb 4, 2019, 9:49 AM

called "What the Health", I've been on a completely plant based diet for the last two weeks. From what they said on that show, dairy products (mostly cheese) and meat are the cause of basically every disease from lupus to heart disease to diabeetus.

They showed one woman who could barely walk and was on all kinds of medicine for differing ailments, and within two weeks of being on a plant based diet, was walking and felt amazing. I figured I'd give it a try.

Two weeks later, I can't tell any difference whatsoever. I felt the exact same as I did when i started, and I don't think I dropped an ounce. I also stopped drinking about 1 week into it, and somehow, I think I gave myself a kidney infection by doing so.

So yesterday I had some eggs and bacon for a late lunch, and a piece of pizza for dinner.

TL/DR: The Netflix show was worth watching; the vegan diet..not so much.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

......Have you ever thought of trying essential oils?!***

Feb 4, 2019, 9:57 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Essential oils? pfffft

Feb 4, 2019, 10:30 AM

Rodan + Field

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Well, you need to be selective in your essential oils.

Feb 4, 2019, 11:58 AM [ in reply to ......Have you ever thought of trying essential oils?!*** ]

I mean, only use name brand motor oils to properly maintain your vehicles engine.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After watching a Netflix show a couple weeks ago

Feb 4, 2019, 10:02 AM

really all in all, being healthy and eating healthy isnt rocket science. Its just the will and want to make it happen.

All these diet fads are hilarious.

Moderation in all things in life will get you a long way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kind of like responding to texts, right?

Feb 4, 2019, 10:33 AM

Moderation

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Re: Kind of like responding to texts, right?

Feb 4, 2019, 12:02 PM

Ha ha! I am definitely bad with that one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This wasn't really a fad diet however.

Feb 4, 2019, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: After watching a Netflix show a couple weeks ago ]

I mean it was just a trial for me to see, but what the Netflix special shows is the corporate influence to disease, and where its caused. It's an interesting look into the government and health, and I'd recommend watching it even if its only 1/2 truth.

If you want to live longer than the average person, then I

Feb 4, 2019, 10:35 AM

would suggest that you commit a series of heinous murders and get yourself on death row. Typically, people that manage to get on death row and live at the taxpayers expense seem to live extra-long lives.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s bc they eat 3 well balanced meals a day,

Feb 4, 2019, 12:27 PM

And have ample time to work out. Then just play card games and watch tv the rest of the day.

Sounds like a pretty sweet life.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you have to go radical and there will be a withdrawal period

Feb 4, 2019, 11:02 AM

I recommend Fuhrman's Eat To Live.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently I'm not eating that bad to begin with

Feb 4, 2019, 11:21 AM

to cause any "withdrawal". I probably eat too many sweets, but that would be a pretty easy thing to change. Not eating meat nor cheese for two weeks didn't seem to affect anything (but my wallet). I didn't feel any better or worse.

Are you rich or something? I like vegetables, I mean

Feb 4, 2019, 11:06 AM

I really do, I even grow a bunch of'em; got some arugula, romaine, and some curly leaf lettuce whose name I forgot growin in the yard right now. But I swear, everytime I wander through the produce section at the corner grocery, the price goes up. And I'm not talking about out of season vegetables...like maters in the dead of winter. Normal winter veg...broccoli, cabbages, root vegetables and the like.

When a box of fresh spinach is the same price as a full meal at McD's, thassa problem. No d@ mn wonder po people are fat!

That was the one thing I did notice--

Feb 4, 2019, 11:13 AM

not eating anything with any meat or cheese is difficult. Not from a consumption/withdrawal perspective, but from an availability and price perspective. EVERYTHING has either chicken and/or cheese on it. Try going out and fins something to eat that's not chicken, has cheese, or beef. It ain't easy.

Basically, I ate one big salad a day, and drank a lot of water. I think one day I didn't eat anything at all when I was just tired of salad.

LULZ, you know the vegan life ain't for you

Feb 4, 2019, 12:08 PM

when you're so tired of salad you just say fugg it, I ain't eatin' nuthin.

I had a salad again today for lunch

Feb 4, 2019, 3:49 PM

or at least most of it. I gotta tell ya..after two weeks of it with one break yesterday, I'm almost over lettuce. Its gotten to the point where i'm like "fugg it..i'll just fill up on water".

change it up

Feb 4, 2019, 4:37 PM

i had black beans, corn, diced jalapenos, bell peppers, covered with cumin and lime juice.

i added chicken, but i suppose you can leave that out.

and avocado***

Feb 4, 2019, 4:37 PM

Outside of dinner, I'm a vegetarian now.

Feb 4, 2019, 11:07 AM

Because heart attack.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thats what that netflix show says.

Feb 4, 2019, 11:17 AM

Basically, the meat, pork and dairy industries have basically bought the government to modify the food pyramid to include foods that really hurt our bodies. It was compelling evidence.

They go through proof of why we don't even need meat and cheese in our diets, and how that actually cause heart disease and diabetes.

good luck with your lifestyle change BTW. Because that's what it will necessarily be.

I don't believe that meat and dairy are bad.

Feb 4, 2019, 11:35 AM

More that they are too big a part of our diet. Keeping meat at dinner (generally 5-6 oz max) and consuming primarily grain, fruit, vegetables, and limited dairy (yogurt) the rest of the day. As I progress I may add them back throughout the day, but my emphasis will be more plant based.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's amazing how much sugar is in stuff.

Feb 4, 2019, 11:52 AM

Even yogurt can have 47 grams of it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I'm not as concerned about sugar, but...

Feb 4, 2019, 12:24 PM

trying to get more natural sugars rather than added sugar.

according to the netflix show

Feb 4, 2019, 3:44 PM [ in reply to I don't believe that meat and dairy are bad. ]

Cheese is the absolute worst thing anyone can eat. High fat, high calories. Apparently high fat is what really causes diabeetus, not sugars. The fat lines the cell walls and makes it difficult for the natural glucose your body creates to be absorbed.

Again, I think its well worth a watch, if nothing but to make you think about what you are eating. The incidental parts about the US government and health advocate organizations like the American Heart association and the American Diabetes Association colluding with the meat, dairy and pork industry is eye opening.

Why would you have believed any of that?

Feb 4, 2019, 11:45 AM

Next, you'll be telling us how CBD oil cured your orneriness.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was on Netflix, duh.***

Feb 4, 2019, 12:00 PM

It had some pretty convincing doctors and evidence.

Feb 4, 2019, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Why would you have believed any of that? ]

I'm certainly not closed minded to it, and it was worth a try if nothing else. Maybe you should watch it.

http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/about/

I'll let you know in 2 weeks

Feb 4, 2019, 12:12 PM

i had some bloodwork done a year ago and got put on a new med for high cholesterol.

I'm 37 and 6 ft 204 lbs.

I've had high blood pressure for a while and been on meds for that.

I got tested a couple of weeks ago and things are still semi high, but this time, they were concerned about my liver enzymes. nothing super high, but still high.

I've been instructed to not drink and not take NSAIDs for 3 weeks and to go back and have my blood tested again.

I've stopped drinking. I started working out every other day again, have been really hit and mostly miss for the last little while.

In doing some research, it appears that the class of cholesterol meds i am on Statins when combined with alcohol can increase liver issues.

So, I am trying to modify the diet, increase exercise and cut out alcohol to see if that reduces the levels.

It's scary that a prescribed medicine could be causing the issues in the liver. Hopefully, a little weight loss and exercise and alcohol moderation will get things back to normal.

At this point is life even worth it?***

Feb 4, 2019, 12:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

can you imagine watching that super bowl

Feb 4, 2019, 12:56 PM

sober and eating cauliflower "chicken wings"?

I can.

Feb 4, 2019, 3:35 PM

I had baked chips, fresh fruit, and greek yogurt.

Chipotle lime shrimp, asparagus, brown rice

Feb 4, 2019, 3:39 PM

couple ounces of Four Roses afterward, first booze in a week.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll let you know in 2 weeks

Feb 4, 2019, 1:33 PM [ in reply to I'll let you know in 2 weeks ]

I have been on some sort of Triglyceride medicine for 3 months. I go back to the doctor on Wednesday to see how things have changed.

I'm 5'11", maybe 225 lbs. Blood pressure is good, LDL is low, HDL and Try are both high. Doc says that I could eat better and exercise more, but it's mostly genetic and regardless of my lifestyle changes, I'll still benefit from the meds.

Wife and I eat the same things, and I'm way more active and in better shape than her, but all of her "numbers" are great. Damnnn genes...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

I do mostly vegi diet anyway.

Feb 4, 2019, 3:35 PM

My BP and cholesterol make me aware of animal flesh but when I get ready for BBQ or a roast it's on. I take meds which keep my total cholesterol hangs around 125-140 no matter what I eat.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic