Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seeing Trevor take some hard hits today caused me to ask myself
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Seeing Trevor take some hard hits today caused me to ask myself

Oct 24, 2020, 10:29 PM

a difficult question:

How confident would I feel if Trevor is out and a backup QB is leading our team?

My answer at this point is: not very confident.

I know D.J. was a very highly rated recruit, and has a lot of talent. I also know that Taisun is well thought of. And we saw our walk-on do well last week.

But if I’m honest, none of our backups are close to being ready to be successful in a real game. Even in meaningless series this year, I simply haven’t been impressed. Lots of mistakes have been made, and I haven’t even seen flashes of brilliance.

Granted, we are very spoiled with Trevor. We were spoiled with Deshaun as well. I realize that those guys are generational talents, and our current backups are young and will improve. But I say all of this to say that we really need to be careful with Trevor.

In other words, let’s stop putting him in low benefit situations where he might get hurt. The drop off after Trevor is significant, and I don’t think we are a legitimate playoff team without him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Seeing Trevor take some hard hits today caused me to ask myself

Oct 24, 2020, 10:36 PM

So let’s just play DJ at first and only bring Trevor in when we want to score! Smh

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2020, 10:38 PM

I agree Judge. The backups have not thrown the ball well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2020, 10:40 PM

Remember, the backups are coming in with mainly backup personnel and they are playing against opponents first string.

Oct 24, 2020, 11:09 PM

Right. DJ was trying to throw to Will Swinney. He seems like a good kid and good teammate, but let's not pretend he's a Clemson-caliber player. I saw DJ play against teams filled with 4 and 5 star players that would instantly start for most ACC teams. He's incredible. I feel like he could definitely handle it if he was in there throwing to Amari, Cornell, and EJ Williams. I do wish he'd get more of a chance to air it out though to practice for college speed, especially since he'll be starting next year.

I'm not worried about the QB situation (DJ would be fine and Trevor can have an off-night every so often) or the wide receivers. I am more concerned about the offensive line. As previously said, Trevor's been taking some nasty hits this year because of poor protection. But Clemson has maybe its deepest running back room in history. But Clemson is averaging 4.6 ypc this year. That's approximately #35 in the country. Comparatively, Clemson was #1 last year (6.4) and #2 in 2018 (6.6). That's a big drop-off attributable to a new offensive line. Luckily, experience can fix a lot of issues of linemen. We just need to give it time.

Well, we have no choice but to play Trevor

Oct 24, 2020, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Seeing Trevor take some hard hits today caused me to ask myself ]

because we want to win. I don’t have much confidence in any of our backups leading scoring drives with any regularity at this point.

Some of the passes they throw are just awful. As in, not even close.

So obviously we must play Trevor, but my preference would be to limit QB runs, and absolutely eliminate stupid cutesy plays like the pass back to him like we did today.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Oct 24, 2020, 10:39 PM

I had that same thought today as I was watching the game. Night and day difference between Trevor and his heir apparents. Hopefully the pandemic will become under control and we will have a normal spring and summer to get the new QBs ready. I saw Pommachanh today on the sidelines out of uniform and he is a huge guy. He looked as big as a DT! Streeter will show his value to the team when he starts preparing the new guy to take over.

Oct 24, 2020, 10:52 PM

DJ is playing with backup lineman mostly.

Oct 24, 2020, 10:56 PM

Why on the trick play does he cut to the middle where traffic is and get clocked in the head? That was a move of someone who had already been hit in the head.

He has little ability to to fake a tackler and avoid a direct hit. He is fine on the read going to the sideline but we have guys to run. We have guys to catch. We NEED him around to throw. Also he needs aa face shield on the sideline. Never keeps that stupid mask up. If Galloway and Travis need a shield TL needs one too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was forced to the middle by the throw, if it had been

Oct 24, 2020, 11:03 PM

outside, he would have walked into the endzone. He had to turn and move to the middle by the poor throw.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2020, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Seeing Trevor take some hard hits today caused me to ask myself ]

I was wondering the same, but on replay it looked like the pass actually took him there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hunter Helms, a walk-on has looked the best by far...***

Oct 24, 2020, 11:00 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2020, 11:48 PM

Amari's pass to Trevor was terrible. It should have been an easy TD but, instead, it brought Trevor towards traffic.

However, Trevor should have had the good sense to run for the sideline anyway. He doesn't have the instinct to avoid helmet shots from tacklers. His leaves his helmet up instead of going down.

Oct 25, 2020, 1:28 AM

Tony Elliott or Dabo cutesy play was unacceptable. Amari threw a crap ball like Sammy Watkins always did - that is why WR's catch and don't throw - my take is that was a Dabo play call. Agreed JK, without Trevor, this team loses in ACC championship or 1st playoff game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2020, 12:30 PM

Man. There are some pretty hot takes going on right now. One week ago we are crushing GT and absolutely rolling. Next week have a close call and we now lose without TL in ACC game?

I think we’re losing a little perspective here.

No, the coaches should have had the good sense not to call that play

Oct 25, 2020, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Seeing Trevor take some hard hits today caused me to ask myself ]

in a game we had no real chance of losing.

I could understand the play call in a playoff game when we were behind or having trouble scoring. But in a game against Syracuse?!? Come on.

It is all about putting different looks on tape

Oct 25, 2020, 10:38 AM

Giving DCs more to prepare for.

Oct 25, 2020, 12:09 PM

I thought you were going to ask if TL would have fewer chances of getting hurt if he played for Brad. I'm glad you didn't go there.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic