Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is the following quote true or false?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Is the following quote true or false?

Oct 19, 2020, 9:51 AM

"I’ve been around for a long time and it just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans."

Someone said this on CNN back in 2004. Can't remember exactly who it was. Would y'all say this is correct or incorrect?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Huh. Whoever said that sounds like someone who deserves the full support

Oct 19, 2020, 9:54 AM

of all Democrats.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Well played, sir.***

Oct 19, 2020, 9:57 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: Is the following quote true or false?

Oct 19, 2020, 10:20 AM

Who said that?

I dunno...

Oct 19, 2020, 11:36 AM

Surely it's gotta be someone who Trump loyalists will attack, right?

It all depends on who's running the federal reserve

Oct 19, 2020, 10:26 AM

That makes 20x more difference than whatever political party is in power of the White House or Congress.

hth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2020, 10:45 AM

let me guess, Trump said that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2020, 12:36 PM

This is another example of a question that the Democrats will try to answer with 140 characters and be completely confident they have taken everything into account.

I know this will make your head explode, but the question of which policies lead to better economic conditions are not necessarily readily evident in superficial data.

There are a lot of variables that include:
-Control of the House and Senate
-Prevailing/incoming economic conditions
-Global economic conditions
-Global stability or instability
-US involvement in foreign conflicts
-Luck
And the list goes on.

Here’s some things, however, we do know:
-Continued spending by the government creating generations of dependent people thru welfare is a horrible economic choice, because it will never end
-The government can never spend us into economic prosperity. The government is inherently inefficient and bureaucratic, and has no economic motivation to perform well and provide a quality product and service. It cost the government $10 of taxpayer money to spend one dollar to do something tangible.
-Open or semi-open borders is a stupid economic choice that no country on the planet would do except us
-Free markets lead to innovation and increased standards of living

Ah... So you disagree with the quote?***

Oct 19, 2020, 2:10 PM

Re: Ah... So you disagree with the quote?***

Oct 19, 2020, 4:08 PM

I have actually downloaded tons of data and tried to make correlations in the past. I couldn't, either way. One of the biggest drivers is war. It's bad for the debt that is for sure. Maybe intangibles of war end up with humanity being better off, but I'm sure plenty would disagree.

I also forgot to mention the lagging nature of some of the metrics. It gets complicated when one administration's results which may be positive or negative cross over the boundary to the next administration.

If you contemplate more detailed questions, it gets somewhat more tractable...like asking if lowering taxes equates to the federal government bringing in more revenue. [Revenue is really a crappy word, because it makes it seem like the gov't is earning it, when they are really taking it.]

Re: Ah... So you disagree with the quote?***

Oct 20, 2020, 1:33 PM

You want just take Trump's word for it?

The statement is too broad on both ends.

Oct 19, 2020, 12:53 PM

What does it mean to have a "good" economy? That's subjective, and can be based on a multitude of various measures.

What does it mean to be "under" Democrats or Republicans? There are people who identify with both parties, and neither, at all levels of government.

Agreed. Whoever said it has no understanding of economics.***

Oct 19, 2020, 12:57 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Oct 19, 2020, 12:55 PM

That was before the country was being run by a business man rather than a lifelong politician that switched from Democrat to Republican.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh.

Oct 19, 2020, 2:10 PM

You actually think he had a genuine ideological shift?

Probably not the point you are trying to make,

Oct 19, 2020, 1:07 PM

but lets just look at our liftimes.

Carter bad
Regan good, I think it was the cocaine.
H.W. Bush bad, so bad even a war boost didn't help him.
Clinton good
W. Bush, bad, twice. Sucked in '03 in particular then again in 07-09ish
Obama-Fair to good, a slow burn I'd call it.
Trump, well a bank stock I had expended shortly after he took office then in October of 18 I think it was took a tumble, fought back pretty well, then got punched in the face in March. I think this economy, at least until Covid, was pretty good for people making say $80k a year plus that made also make smart housing decisions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right.

Oct 19, 2020, 2:09 PM

Wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Re: Probably not the point you are trying to make,

Oct 19, 2020, 4:19 PM [ in reply to Probably not the point you are trying to make, ]

I'd add this:

Carter bad. Iran hostages. Gas. Dems had both senate and house.
Regan good. Great leader and inspiring for many. Won the cold war. Pubs had Senate.
H.W. Bush bad. What did he do? Dems had senate and house.
Clinton good. Contract with America. Pubs had senate and house.
W. Bush, bad, twice. Split control, but Pubs had senate and house for several years.
Obama-Fair to good. First Dems had full control, then Pubs had senate and house.
Trump, ... Pubs had control for a couple years, then Senate and house split.

Can't make heads or tails of what might be "better" ...

Re: Probably not the point you are trying to make,

Oct 20, 2020, 1:35 PM

NC,

WOW, in one post you claim that the original question is far too complex to be properly answered and in the next post you simplify entire presidencies into single sentences.

I cannot figure you out - are you thoughtful or simply irretrievably biased ??

From the Joint Economic Council of Congress

Oct 20, 2020, 1:31 PM

The US economy has performed better under Democratic presidents than under Republican ones - going all the way back to WW II

https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/309cc8e1-b971-45c6-ab52-29ffb1da9bf5/jec-fact-sheet---the-economy-under-democratic-vs.-republican-presidents-june-2016.pdf

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic