Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it possible for Trevor Lawrence to beat Out Kelly Bryant?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Is it possible for Trevor Lawrence to beat Out Kelly Bryant?

Jun 5, 2018, 12:09 PM

In fall camp before the first game. Or is KB the starter no matter how good Trevor Lawrence is in camp. Is there even a competition or is KB the starter because he’s a senior?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is it possible for Trevor Lawrence to beat Out Kelly Bryant?

Jun 5, 2018, 12:12 PM

yes, i don’t see him starting at first, but definitely possible

Jun 5, 2018, 12:23 PM

My guess is he lack of game experience will have KB start game 1, TL will get plenty of work in that game and as long as he doesn't look like a Fr, I'd bet he comes in at some point against A&M...big game, Texas heat, aggies will be fired up and the game will be closer than it should be for a while...KB won't be completing down field throws and the aggies will stack the box...Dabo finally unleashes the Fr and the rest will be history. Make no mistake, this kid is further along than DW4 was and will take over as if he'd been the starter for years.

Abtw, I'll be at the A&M game so I'm really hoping it doesn't happen that way...I'd feel much better if we just flat blow them out and TL only gets mop up duty (for that game, ease him in if at all possible).

Jun 5, 2018, 12:21 PM

Its definitely possible. Nobody should be surprised if they see TL starting game 1. He is just a different dude out there.

Que the Deshaun Watson vs Cole Stoudt comparison in 3....2.....1......

^THIS^***

Jun 5, 2018, 12:26 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2018, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it possible for Trevor Lawrence to beat Out Kelly Bryant? ]

Comparing KB to Stoudt is just silly.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2018, 12:28 PM

Gee, I am so glad you brought this up. I had made it all the way to Tuesday without thinking about it this week.

bout treefity***

Jun 5, 2018, 12:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Anything is possible...

Jun 5, 2018, 12:46 PM

I would be surprised if Kelly B didnt get the start, but if its truly an open competition, its possible.

If Kelly reports in August out of shape and weighing 245,

Jun 5, 2018, 12:54 PM

sure he won’t start.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who is the better QB?

Jun 5, 2018, 1:00 PM

Pretty easy from what I've seen.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who is the better QB?

Jun 5, 2018, 5:13 PM

True. One threw 2 picks against a veteran Bama secondary while the other threw 2 picks against a high school all star team.

Replace "senior with "more tested and experienced."

Jun 5, 2018, 1:13 PM

If Bryant was a sophomore with the same body of work he would be the clear favorite to at least start the opener and probably TAMU game.

Lawrence is going to get playing time right out of the gate though.

I doubt there’s an actual competition

Jun 5, 2018, 1:36 PM

Staff probably just evaluating when TL is ready to take the reigns. KB will start til then.

Fear the thumb, Fear the other hand, Fear both feet.

Jun 5, 2018, 1:58 PM

90-17

I thought you were asking about a dance-off

Jun 5, 2018, 2:02 PM

:/

Jun 5, 2018, 2:20 PM

It's not about how many years he's been at school it's about the amount of valuable experience he has in games compared to none. TL is the better arm and I don't think anyone will deny that, TL is a polished scrambler and elite throwing on the run as well, he absolutely tore it up in our spring game and has been doing so in practice I hear as well. TL is much more talented but he hasn't faced 90,000 screaming fans in a hostile environment where every movement is getting criticized as well as the millions of viewers on TV he knows is watching. KB has and that's what gives him the edge into the fall. But TL very well could come out and not be phased and seriously win over the coaches, this is what he will have to prove to win the job and once he is able to do that he will become the starter but his first opportunity isn't until September so for now we play a preparation and waiting game.

Jun 5, 2018, 2:42 PM

Dabo’s mind was made up last year. Kid has no shot at starting the 1st game.

Jun 5, 2018, 3:17 PM

I think the actual answer might be: it depends on how much confidence the coaches have not in Trevor Lawrence...but in Chase Brice.

A high school coach who's pretty plugged-in explained it to me thus in regards to benching Kelly Bryant: "Once you bench him, it's really hard to go back." For an example - look what happened to Cole Stoudt once he was pushed and passed by Deshaun Watson. The kid's confidence completely fell apart, and it wasn't until Cole Stoudt had the wheel firmly back in his hands for an extended period of time - that being the bowl prep before the Oklahoma game in 2014, when Deshaun Watson was having knee surgery - before Stoudt really got his sense of control and confidence back. When pressed into action when Deshaun went down, Stoudt was...terrible, to put it mildly. Whereas Stoudt's prior Spring Game performances and the Oklahoma game showed his ceiling was a lot higher than he showed in that span.

Unfortunately, to my own eyes, it was looking to me like Bryant was hitting that same boiling point this Spring - his confidence was clearly off, he was pressing, flustered, and frustrated...because he knew the younger QB's were slinging it a lot better than he was.

So the Clemson coaches may face a problem: do we go ahead and yank, and trust that Chase Brice can successfully lead the team if Lawrence gets dinged or goes down for a span, as Deshaun Watson did his own freshman season?

Tough call. The problem is, if Lawrence and Brice outperform Bryant as badly this Fall as they did this past Spring Game, it might end up being academic. Bryant needs to get his confidence back and massively improve his deep throwing this summer or this competition is probably already done and dusted.

Jun 5, 2018, 3:27 PM

Just watch the spring game.

I don't think so.

Jun 5, 2018, 5:28 PM

One thing I've always believed about Dabo is when a man has a job it's his job to lose. Our QB position is KB's to lose. That won't happen in practice or scrimmage but I expect AnM will give TL a chance to outshine KB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2018, 6:57 PM

For me the real question is, if you could right now on the 5th of May lock in TL to start the game in College Station, would you? You’d hav to commit to at least 2 quarters of play. This is the question I ask to all that are in live with TL and bash KB.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic