Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is it a white people problem? My take...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Is it a white people problem? My take...

Jun 12, 2020, 1:48 PM

My cage has been rattled, finally. I have looked at myself and pointed the finger at me, finally. My eyes have seen, my ears have heard, and my heart has felt, finally.

After watching yet another race war starting here in our country, in 2020, I happened to stumble on a video by Wanda Sykes, who I'm actually NOT a fan of. Shortening her message, she said this problem is a white people problem, not a black people problem. Instead of getting defensive and immediately arguing for all the normal things "non-racial" white people always say, I stopped and listened to her and tried to understand that statement from a black person's point of view. Of course, I don't have a-n-y experience with that and don't have the right to act like I know what black people should do or say in any situation, especially in this latest race battle.
So, I decided to TALK with a black friend of mine and have a constructive exchange with her. During the conversation I eventually asked her, for one, why black people always seem to react to these terrible lawless cops taking a black life with violence and looting, etc. (My typical white argument here typically includes further crime doesn't help and even discredits the blacks' argument/credibility.).

White people, you need to try and SEE, HEAR, and FEEL her response. Don't be defensive, try to understand what she said, if for no other reason than to try and HELP and make things BETTER in this country.

She said black people are at a point of HOPELESSNESS. They know, not feel, they know that they are overlooked and ignored as real people. They have no hope that things will get better, and the leadership at all levels in this country doesn't care. They don't believe white people care enough to even listen. When they loot, steal, and burn, it is out of built up frustration that they have no hope, or a voice, and are tired of the injustice. It simply doesn't matter if they commit crimes, because they don't matter anyway. They are simply exploding.

Now before you get defensive and build your arguments against this, please pause and try to understand how heavy what she said is. Try to put yourself in that situation. Try to understand having no hope. How heartbreaking that is!!!

Yes, there are statistics you can find to argue against white on black crimes, I get it. Don't do that right now. The real question is, are YOU tired of racism and the constant, endless "here we go again" battles? I've caught myself saying that. Guilty. But I'm tired of it, and Wanda Sykes' statement got my attention FINALLY and I want things to change. Put your defenses down and try to empathize instead of blaming "them" like we always do. Talk with a black person and ask them what we as white people can do to make things better. I was surprised to hear "first, just hear me, listen."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is it a white people problem? My take...

Jun 12, 2020, 1:59 PM

Well there’s that....and the free 65in TVs too :)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 2:03 PM

And that my friend is exactly what everyone needs to do.

Black people protesting isnt going to change someones mind. It's up to white people to make the change. It's white people that need to grow. People need to understand that white privilege doesn't mean you haven't worked hard to be where you are in life. It takes actions like yours to take the opportunity to learn - you should be proud of what you did.

People have been peacefully protesting for YEARS and YEARS. Look at the music of Peter Tosh, Bob Marley, NWA, etc. Athletes have worn t-shirts. Athletes have taken a knee (and action which is universally a sign of respect), Actors and Actresses gave speeches at award shows. Protest have entered plays and musicals. For decades people have been peacefully protesting and no one listened.

Jun 12, 2020, 2:14 PM

I think I understand what Wanda and your friend were saying, but I’m really not sure. Your post was a little confusing. Can you tell us what their thoughts were? Not your thoughts. Their thoughts.

Jun 12, 2020, 2:18 PM

Sorry if I didn't get it out clearly... This paragraph summed up what her thoughts were:

She said black people are at a point of HOPELESSNESS. They know, not feel, they know that they are overlooked and ignored as real people. They have no hope that things will get better, and the leadership at all levels in this country doesn't care. They don't believe white people care enough to even listen. When they loot, steal, and burn, it is out of built up frustration that they have no hope, or a voice, and are tired of the injustice. It simply doesn't matter if they commit crimes, because they don't matter anyway. They are simply exploding.

Pretty heavy to me.

The great part about the whole conversation was she was shocked and then relieved that I actually started the conversation to begin with.

It certainly was eye opening.

Jun 12, 2020, 2:26 PM

so, who do you think is the 'leadership'?

Jun 12, 2020, 2:38 PM

She said everyone from local government all the way up the ladder to the 3 branches of the US government, and everyone in between.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:11 PM

So, just substitute the work 'everyone'. When one hides behind generalizations, they usually don't want the problem to be solved. There are a lot of engineers on this site and I would bet all one has to do is define the problem and these engineers would like nothing better than to find the best solution. But the problem can't be defined with general information. Get serious about finding a solution and a solution can be found.
Not picking on you, just saying I don't think Wanda Sykes is all that concerned about fixing anything. Maybe she thinks drawing attention to something is enough, I don't know.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:12 PM

...'word'...

So that would have included Obama during his tenure, correct

Jun 13, 2020, 4:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Is it a white people problem? My take... ]

?

Jun 12, 2020, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it a white people problem? My take... ]

I heard a black woman on a news report explain the violence this way.

America is built on a social contract - that the government provides safety, and security, and stability and that the people provide obedience to laws and loyalty, and taxes. Then she said that white people and especially the police broke the social contract first. So that it was unreasonable to expect black people to continue to honor the social contract when white people - leaders, police, etc. were not honoring it.

Jun 12, 2020, 2:25 PM

I call bs. The problem is that black people want to blame white people for everything that has happened to them. It is never their fault because of stupid decisions they make in life. Looting stealing rioting is just an excuse to act like a criminal. If you want change then start with yourself and say what can I do to help instead of blaming everyone else. Of course my opinion or anyone else's doesn't matter because only black lives matter now right? Give me a break. .

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They don't want any true facts in here, only emotions***

Jun 12, 2020, 2:29 PM

Jun 12, 2020, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it a white people problem? My take... ]

Hello, sir what you are saying is absolutely incorrect. There has been systematic racisim in this country that has help black people back since the 1600s. It's unfortunate that you have been blinded to the truth.

I would like to challenge you to go to Netflix and watch the documentary "13th"

It is a factual explanation of all the laws, policies, FBI surveilances, etc. that have time and time again proven that all men are not created equal in America.

Again go to Netflix and watch "13th" to free yourself form this fairy tale you've been feed about equality in America.

Jun 12, 2020, 2:39 PM

held*

Jun 12, 2020, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it a white people problem? My take... ]

Yeah everything we say is incorrect. Only those that have your view including these "documentaries is wrong in your eyes. My opinion is my opinion and I don't need you or anyone else telling me I am wrong. I am simply telling you what I believe. The difference is that I am not pushing my beliefs or opinions on you so I would appreciate it if you would stop pushing your agenda on me. Thank you.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:45 PM

Your opinion is factually incorrect sir and would be proven if you were man enough to open your eyes to the truth.

There is no agenda. Just asking you to do yourself a favor a remove your racist blinders.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:40 PM

Once again I am racist. I just love being called that by someone who doesn't know one ####### thing about me. Everything is always about race because you make it about race. It would be nice for once to hear you question yourself instead of blaming others for your problems or short comings. But what do I know I am just a racist that has more black friends than white friends and 90 percent of them share my view. They are successful because they want to be. They don't blame me or my race for holding them down. Thay are just like me. They came from poor families but worked hard and made something out of themselves without using race as an excuse. So in my eyes you are the racist for calling me racist and not knowing anything about me or my situation. Like I said I have my views and you have yours so I will respectfully agree to disagree with you. Good day.

If you don't believe as the herd then you should be discounted

Jun 12, 2020, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it a white people problem? My take... ]

Jun 13, 2020, 7:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Is it a white people problem? My take... ]

PSW should be the next slogan- Please stop whining

Jun 12, 2020, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it a white people problem? My take... ]

I want change, yes.
I'm starting with myself. Check.
I'm not blaming anyone else. Exactly.

White and Black people need to change.***

Jun 12, 2020, 3:15 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it a white people problem? My take... ]

White-hurst,

There is an interesting book that was written in the 1960's called Black Like Me. It was written by a white guy who colored his skin and hair to look black and then traveled through America - experiencing first hand the daily discrimination and degradation that he was forced to endure based on skin color alone.

Things have changed some since the 60s, but the difference in daily experiences between whites and blacks still exists and it has a significant negative impact on our society. Striving to treat black people like the human beings that they are does not diminish other people in any way.

I’m white, and I treat people of all races...

Jun 12, 2020, 4:14 PM

with dignity and good manners. And if their conduct warrants it, they earn my respect.

Anyone who stereotypes another based solely on their race is exhibiting the primary indicator of racism. That goes for EVERYONE, regardless of race. So, if you assume that I am a racist and that I must be prejudiced against black people just because I am white, guess what that makes you?

The word “privilege” implies an unfair advantage. Some people do have advatages over others that are NOT unfair... they are advantages gained because they (and many times, their parents and grandparents) made better choices, choices that were not always easier or more fun.

Until there can be a rational, honest discussion of ALL the factors leading to where we are today, and as long as nothing but the most destructive emotions (bitterness, rage and displaced guilt) dominate the narrative, nothing will change. And THAT’S just how a lot of people really want it... because the chaos BENEFITS them.

Message was edited by: Flying Tiger®

Re: don't follow herd must be racists***

Jun 12, 2020, 5:38 PM

Re: I’m white, and I treat people of all races...

Jun 12, 2020, 8:14 PM [ in reply to I’m white, and I treat people of all races... ]

Absolutely great post.

Jun 12, 2020, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Is it a white people problem? My take... ]

Making sweeping generalizations like this is dangerous. People are products of their environments, and not everyone can escape bad ones. I think its reasonable to think that people in power (past and presence) at least somewhat have had an affect on groups of people and their environments.

Unless you think black people just naturally want to hate white people, naturally want to steal, and naturally want to be violent. Which sounds like EXTREMELY dangerous thinking.

Jun 12, 2020, 8:15 PM

You look at what happens every time they don't get their way and you tell me.

It really is ALL of our problem***

Jun 12, 2020, 2:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It really is ALL of our problem***

Jun 12, 2020, 2:40 PM

Good point.

Re: It really is ALL of our problem***

Jun 12, 2020, 2:59 PM [ in reply to It really is ALL of our problem*** ]

It really is a problem for all of us, but white people need to go the extra mile right now to make sure we create a more fair and just society for every one.

Jun 12, 2020, 2:45 PM

nope sorry never gonna happen

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 2:46 PM

Man, if we - black & white - would just talk, we could find some way to move forward together. It won't be any easy conversation, it won't even be just one conversation. Both sides have to set their preconceptions and prejudices aside for a moment and try to empathetically SEEK out the humanity in the other. But we can do it and maybe start to crawl out from under this rock that has been weighing us all down for so long.

This is a discussion (not an argument) that would benefit every one tremendously if we try to understand each other rather than just trying to be "right".

lg9r, Congratulations on a breakthrough - not in your conclusions, but in actually listening to something that you did not understand before. I hope it becomes contagious.

I agree that people, black and white, being killed by the

Jun 12, 2020, 2:50 PM

law is troublesome, but I'm raising my son to obey the law and not put himself in a position where he is being arrested. That greatly reduces his chance of losing his life this way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree that people, black and white, being killed by the

Jun 12, 2020, 3:02 PM

I absolutely get that, but it is hard top ask black people to not resist arrest when thay have seen what that can mean for them - death.

How do we rebuild the trust between people of color and the police when that trust has been so abused for decades.

How do we build the trust? I don't know. I teach my son to

Jun 12, 2020, 3:12 PM

see people from their heart with his. I honestly don't care if you are black or white, rich or poor, if you treat me with respect and kindness, I'll treat you the same. All I can do is my part.

I'm sorry, can you explain that comment?

Jun 12, 2020, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree that people, black and white, being killed by the ]

"I absolutely get that, but it is hard top ask black people to not resist arrest when thay have seen what that can mean for them - death."

Do what now?

How many black people have died because they obeyed a police officer's commands?

null

Re: I agree that people, black and white, being killed by the

Jun 12, 2020, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Re: I agree that people, black and white, being killed by the ]

So let me run from the law before they kill me is their line of thinking? Do you not understand how stupid that sounds? What do you think is going to happen when you resist arrest or run?

Did yall talk further about solutions?

Jun 12, 2020, 3:00 PM

Im not being sarcastic when I say this...

So far the solutions seem to be:
1) That I need to accept that heritage should be erased.
2) I should apologize for crimes against humanity not committed by me.
3) I need to listen, hear, and then not have an opinion of my own, all while accepting that if I hear it and disagree with it then Im either racist or I didnt really hear it.

I understand what Im hearing. I can feel their pain and anger. But feelings dont automatically make someone right.

All I hear are problems and how its all white people. Im still waiting to hear rational solutions. Bc from what Ive heard... every black person on campus should feel absolved of any and all bias towards them bc we renamed things.

Again, not trying to be sarcastic... this is a literal take on what Ive heard.

Re: Did yall talk further about solutions?

Jun 12, 2020, 3:09 PM

Can we adjust our perceptions of our heritage without erasing it ?

I think some people are calling for America (not individuals) to apologize for some of our more horrendous actions in the past. I think most people would rather see real gains in fairness and justice going forward. That should benefit everyone.

I think a difference of opinions should be expected, but we have to work through them to find some common ground. Opinions and arguments can get in the way of a readjustment of our perceptions of race in this country.

The renaming, etc. are not the cure for racism. It is dealing with one of the symptoms. Perhaps that can keep this difficult conversation alive long enough for us to deal with the underlying causes.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:55 PM

We didn't get that far since the original conversation happened at work. She's the head of HR and we realized after a while we had to get back to work. =o)

I agree though, the conversation should continue!

Jun 12, 2020, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Did yall talk further about solutions? ]

We can absolutely adjust our perception without erasing our history. If anything, pointing out the negative can help lead us in a more positive direction.

You mentioned common ground, but what it feels like is whites have to make all the concessions now. We apologize, we listen but dont talk, we take down flags, symbols, statues that may have meaning to us different than that of blacks. But since theyre the victims, their perception is truth, not opinion.

I wish we couldve reached MIDDLE ground, but its gone from taking flags down to put on monuments, to removing the flags all together, to now renaming monuments, to now dismissing it all. These figures will be lost to history, our past and heritage erased. We dont have to agree with it or like it to be able to appreciate where we as a people came from.

How long until we cant talk about our past in public where black people might hear it? How long until speaking of our past and heritage is branded as Hate Speech and isnt allowed to be said. Anyone who thinks that is radical need only look at some of the proposals going on now.

Racism and White Supremacy are being labeled as Public Health Concerns now. Thats cool, I think theyre bad too. But how long until that evolves into Southern/Conservative Culture as a whole and it is suppressed in the name of public health for the majority of people. This is one more step in the direction of massive censorship of Conservative values. Anyone and everyone is very welcome to call me crazy, but its coming, and we've let it happen and we've let precedents be set for it in the name of COVID and BLM.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Did yall talk further about solutions? ]

I've had the same conversation with several black people since that initial conversation, and the one consistent thing that was mentioned is that white people should simply point out or stop other white people from saying or doing racist things when we see it. Seems like a great start to me.

Jun 12, 2020, 8:21 PM

What about the other way around? I have witnessed black people belittle white people and no one stepped in. It's always got to be whites to initiate everything. This is why we have a problem.We are supposed to act one way but black people have the right to act differently. Got it.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:03 PM

Thanks for this. I've started to feel hopeless at reading the forums here at TigerNet with all those showing support for maintaining a societal status quo that isn't equitable for people of color and for trying to shift focus from the heart of the matter. But this is exactly what we need more of; empathy and self-examination.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:51 PM

Thanks for saying that. That's basically all I'm trying to say.

And changing the name of Tillman Hall is going to

Jun 12, 2020, 6:35 PM

fix it all.

Sad they seem to never channel their energies into that which will actually help their cause and unify people.

Re: great point my feelings exactly***

Jun 12, 2020, 7:11 PM

Re: And changing the name of Tillman Hall is going to

Jun 12, 2020, 7:33 PM [ in reply to And changing the name of Tillman Hall is going to ]

75% of black children grow up without a Father

SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT

Can you blame all of that on white oppression? Really?

When will they take ownership of their own problems and fix what they can control?

Re: And changing the name of Tillman Hall is going to

Jun 12, 2020, 8:23 PM

Never. That is why we still have a race problem.It's our fault they are like they are.

Jun 12, 2020, 8:42 PM

BBB SSSS Go to any teacher teaching in High School. . . .what percentage of black teens do not take advantage of all the opportunities out there today? Free schooling, help with costs etc. There is no one that can't better themselves, IF THE WANT TO DO SO. Most of te black kids don't want to . . then they complain years later. That's why I don't feel sorry. I saw them give up chances. Their mistake.

Exactly. Give me this. Give me that. Give give give give

Jun 13, 2020, 5:02 AM

Give me affordable housing in the big city. Give me foodstamps. Give me welfare checks. Give me give me give me. How about you EARN IT? How about you teach your kids values? Teach them to respect authority. Teach them humility? Nooooooooooo, all they want to do is b*tch and complain about how hard it is for them. They feel oppressed about a statue or a flag or a monument or somebody's #### name on a building. Focus on things that really matter, not on how to cheat the system and deal drugs without getting caught.

Wasn't Obama supposed to fix all this? Do you think Trump will? Do you think the next president after him will? What about the next one after that? No! Take action yourself! Then influence your families, then your communities. Volunteer. DO SOMETHING POSITIVE.

Jun 12, 2020, 11:12 PM

https://twitter.com/tracybeanz/status/1271219776606687233

Jun 13, 2020, 1:21 AM

Thanks for sharing this. Now let's see how open everyones mind is to seeing things from a different perspective.

Jun 13, 2020, 5:03 AM

Having a hard time with HOPELESSNESS. Is it really that bad? Or has the media and others drummed folks in a hysteria?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2020, 5:32 AM

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/anonymous-berkeley-professor-shreds-blm-injustice-narrative-damning-stats-and-logic

An interesting read

Jun 13, 2020, 9:28 AM

NO! It is a party problem

Detroit-Last republican Mayor 1962
Cleveland-Two republican mayors since 1945
Chicago-Last Republican mayor 1931
Baltimore-Last republican mayor 1967
Boston-Last republican mayor 1914
Minneapolis-Two Republican mayors since 1948
St Louis-Last Republican mayor 1945

The list could go on and on, but I won't bore you with the details. Case in point, the majority of the major cities in this country have been controlled by one party for generations. The Democrat Party, the party that says vote for us and we will make your life better all we need is more of your money. The party that says Republicans go put you back in chains, the party that harbors race pimps like Sharpton, Jackson, Waters, OAC and Omar. Beginning to see the picture now, how you have been suckered for your vote and nothing has changed for you. The pimps and hustlers leave at night and go to their luxury quarters while you are left in the squalor of public housing infested with crime and rats. When they return in the morning the stand all puffed out and make more hollow promises and speeches about the same old things. But that's OK, because they call you, "My People".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic