Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is Bud Foster still considered a defensive guru?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Is Bud Foster still considered a defensive guru?

Oct 6, 2018, 11:41 PM

?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yeah I think that ship sailed with ODU***

Oct 6, 2018, 11:42 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is when Beamer can recruit his kids.***

Oct 6, 2018, 11:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is Bud Foster still considered a defensive guru?

Oct 6, 2018, 11:43 PM

They idolize a lunch box, And bud is a drunk. Ask anyone here in Blacksburg.

Oct 6, 2018, 11:44 PM

Not with that old man beard....yikes!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 2:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Is Bud Foster still considered a defensive guru? ]

Don't know about a "Drunk". But I can say this. I live in Roanoke, Va. Yes, I'm still a TIGER. I used to work with a guy who played at VT from 82-85. He's still close to the program, and he was a great guy. He told me that Bud likes to drink. And the reason, he's never been hired for a Head Coaching job. He got in trouble early in his career at VT partying and drinking with the students. So AD's around the country won't give him a shot.

Go Tigers!

Oct 6, 2018, 11:49 PM

Member how Frank Beamer had to " retire " because he had seemingly fallen off in recruiting and on field results ?
I think old Bud Foster may have also flown over the shark tank on this "guru" thing .
If I were Fuente I would have that talk with him immediately following their mid-tier bowl and let him also " retire " as a legend .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 6, 2018, 11:59 PM

He was until the new up tempo offense’s came around. He’s s good coach but should be a NFL DC because he’s best against a pro style offense. Don’t forget he was one of our top targets when Steele left. Dabo made the right call on BV for sure.

Oct 7, 2018, 12:44 AM

I think this was a rebuilding year for VT defense, they can't just reload. Also, other schools, including us, are able to out recruit in VA. They use to own tidewater VA.

You largely nailed it

Oct 7, 2018, 1:28 AM

Bud's still a really good DC. But the talent right now is VERY young. Our defense right now is as follows....

DE: Houshun Gaines (JR) and Emmanuel Belmar (SOPH)
DT: Ricky Walker (SR) and Jarrod Hewitt (SOPH)
LBs: Dylan Rivers (SOPH) and Rayshard Ashby (SOPH) (FWIW: True Freshman Dax Hollifield sees quite a bit of time as well)
CB: Caleb Farley (FR) and Bryce Watts (SOPH)
S: Khalil Ladler (SOPH), Divine Deablo (SOPH), and Reggie Floyd (JR)

For those scoring at home, that's just one SR on the entire defense.... and only two JRs. So in 11 spots, VT is starting EIGHT guys who are Sophomores or Freshmen. Factor in that VT doesn't exactly pack in 4 and 5 star recruits and just about any defensive coordinator is going to have a hard time. Especially against a very solid ND offense.

Let's see what this defense does with another year of experience under their belts.

How do you and your fans feel about Fuente now?

Oct 7, 2018, 2:00 AM

I went over your board last week and it seems most fans were ready to give up on him.

Which board did you go to?

Oct 7, 2018, 2:28 AM

Because I can assure you that there aren't very many ready to give up on Fuente (and doing so would be insanely stupid). 247 tends to be a lot of overly enthusiastic knee-jerk reaction fools. Tech Sideline gives you a much better pulse on the fanbase IMO.

The general consensus is that Fuente inherited a good situation at VT to win initially... BUT there wasn't a lot of good YOUNG talent on the roster. On top of that, many of the talented young guys we had were even better than we realized and they left early (Settle left TWO years early). We're starting to get improved talent into the system, but we're seeing some growing pains this year (and we saw some last year on offense with the youth we had on that side of the ball).

Most Hokie fans are willing to give Fuente through 2020. Should 2020 come and go without a second ACCCG appearance, I think you'll start seeing even some of the casual fans start to turn (though as long as we don't dip below 7 wins in a season, he'll get at least one more season after that). I'm very confident that Fuente is the right guy for the Hokies.... years 2 and 3 were always set to be a bit down due to the recruiting misses we had in the last couple Beamer years. We'll likely finish about 7-4 or so this year (give or take a game). Next year, with anticipated improvement and a forgiving schedule, we should be able to get back to 9-3 or so and possibly to Charlotte. In 2020, if the true freshman QB we have right now is as good as advertised, we could really start to see some special seasons in Blacksburg. Remember the name Quincy Patterson (the likely successor to Ryan Willis).

I think it’s Rivals, but not 100% sure.

Oct 7, 2018, 5:13 AM

But it’s after the loss to Old Dominion though.

Checking my browsing history...

Oct 7, 2018, 5:21 AM [ in reply to Which board did you go to? ]

it appears to be 247.

Yeah, 247 is a cesspool of negativity

Oct 7, 2018, 8:47 PM

In no way are they representative of the Virginia Tech fanbase. VT could beat Alabama by 50 and they'd find stuff to complain about because we should have beaten them by 75.

Tech Sideline is a much better board, though the board does have a bit of an awkward format.

Re: You largely nailed it

Oct 7, 2018, 8:51 PM [ in reply to You largely nailed it ]

Never has been great. Just a has been

I commend him for going down with the ship.***

Oct 7, 2018, 6:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic