Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In your opinion, is Watson intentionally...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

In your opinion, is Watson intentionally...

Nov 1, 2016, 10:44 PM

staying in the pocket more this season compared to last season to try to prove he can be a pocket passer in the NFL?

I've noticed Watson does not seem to try to escape the pocket as easily this season. He seems to wait longer to look for an open receiver, but it ends up being a little too long and costs a sack or short yardage on a QB scramble.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In your opinion, is Watson intentionally...

Nov 1, 2016, 10:48 PM

No, I think he has been great overall. His biggest issue has been dropped balls leading to some frustration. He's better than last year and will show out the remainder of the season!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

What you said, plus the fact that he has seemingly lost accuracy on deep balls.***

Nov 1, 2016, 11:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

the deep ball thing is a puzzler***

Nov 2, 2016, 12:41 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 1, 2016, 10:51 PM

Yes. That is my opinion, and it doesn't suit his skills as well. He is so special when he utilizes all his skills like he did last year. We are seeing Lamar Jackson benefit from what DW4 did last year, and that's use his legs as another weapon. Using that weapon is makes him much more dynamic, and it makes us more that way, too.

Message was edited by: Dugatiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe it's coaching

Nov 1, 2016, 10:52 PM

to show Trevor Lawrence he won't need to run as much in this offense.LOl

Actually I think everything up till now has been get through the season undefeated with as little wear and tear on this team as possible.Built for November - January .

Re: Maybe it's coaching

Nov 1, 2016, 10:58 PM

We haven't used a lot of the playbook thus far

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Nov 4, 2016, 2:11 PM

What have we not used?

Nov 4, 2016, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe it's coaching ]

Maybe what we've seen is the playbook. I just don't understand why people think we are holding back plays. I believe our issue is play calling. We tend to run the ball up the middle on first down, and EVERY-TIME they empty the backfield it's a QB draw. For some reason we are not using the motion and eye candy we used the last few seasons, and I think it's hurting Watson's game.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think this also. It would be nice to see some more running

Nov 4, 2016, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Maybe it's coaching ]

but then we'll all be bitchin when DW is out with injuries. He's tough, but I believe we're trying to save him a little.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Nov 1, 2016, 11:05 PM

I never thought he would run as much this year, just because of the embarrassment of riches he has. With Williams back, as well as Cain and more rb depth, I think it makes sense for him to not run. We'll see if he ramps up the running as the season goes on like last year. Personally, I'd rather he let Gallman do the hard running and work on his turnovers and deep ball accuracy. He starts hitting these deep shots and we'll be unstoppable

Nov 1, 2016, 11:31 PM

Some of the comments on tigernet baffle me...

He is still athletic he just weighs a little more and is maybe a hair not quite as elusive or as accurate on deep balls.

He is not Lamar Jackson with his legs, and that's perfectly fine he doesn't need to be. I'd rather have dw4 any day. Our guy is clutch.

What plays are we holding back? We ran the QB read option, draw, sweep, counter, multiple spread sets and routes, moved the pocket, screens, deep balls, our jumbo package. What were we withholding at FSU I wonder?

I think we have too many options on offense which prevents us from getting in a groove. Trying to get everyone touches. We are one of the most inexperienced teams in d1 with talented youth. It also helps to be able to tell recruits they will get their touches, here is the proof!

Yet we have guys screaming for feaster to get touches too. It's hard enough for a QB to learn player tendencies and get in rhythm for just the first team offense.

I truly believe we are inefficient at times because of an embarrassment of riches when it comes to spreading touches/plays around.

Nov 1, 2016, 11:19 PM

Maybe he sees his mentor Cam Newton getting his brains scrambled the other way and is choosing longevity over flashiness? You can't help but look at the way Lamar Jackson plays without an image of an hourglass running through your mind these days. Deshaun will be a legend, not a fad, or so I hope!

Nov 1, 2016, 11:23 PM

Some that and some to protect his body, imo.

Come Playoff time we will see the full Clemson. And, I don't think there will be anything any team can do to stop us, not with this year's special teams and D!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More or less...

Nov 1, 2016, 11:23 PM

it has to be in his mind. He said it out loud like he's somewhat frustrated about it.

Nov 1, 2016, 11:44 PM

Yes. Remember when some analyst made the comment that he was just a duel threat and D WAT took exception and got mad about it? I feel he has changed his technique a bit, running less, and it has affected him a bit

He has put on substantial muscle weight...

Nov 2, 2016, 12:51 AM

..since last year and I believe has hurt his mobility somewhat. He doesn't seem to have the same twitch quickness he had last year.

That being said he still can be very effective running the ball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Added muscles...

Nov 2, 2016, 7:28 AM

This is also IMO the reason for his deep ball inaccuracy...he is too strong. He always overthrows the deep ball now due to the extra strength. The only ones he does not overthrow deep is deon cain due to cains speed. Renfrow is fast too.

maybe a dumb idea, but I believe there's an element of truth

Nov 4, 2016, 3:48 PM

to this and thought early in the season the additional musculature was causing significant overthrows.....there's an aspect of "touch" or "feel" in throwing passes to a speeding receiver and hitting him in the perfect spot...not sure if Deshaun has yet adjusted to his newly found strength....and of course there've been a ton of drops by the WR's when he has put the ball on the money

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is my opinion that...

Nov 2, 2016, 10:12 AM

we are probably graduating from the HUNH which we ran to be competitive to something square in the middle between the pure dual threat and the traditional pro style. I have little evidence for this theory save for this year's performance and the #1 pocket passer coming in January.

Perhaps we are developing a new identity. I can add much more speculation but it requires criticizing our past OC and a few linemen which I'd rather avoid.

I seriously doubt Dabo is changing his offensive scheme to make any one player happy though I'm satisfied that is one of the results.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is my opinion that...

Nov 4, 2016, 9:41 AM

Imo, we don't make play fast enough to suit him.our offense performs better when we play fast. We are more focused on getting the play and running the routes, making the catch and repeat...none of this letting the defense get set and adjust, it's just play, play, play. That is our key to success.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Weird, I didn't know Watson called the plays

Nov 4, 2016, 9:43 AM

But seriously, this is the same thing as last year. Keep in the pocket the 1st half of the year, then let him loose in the 2nd half so we can try and win it all.

Re: Weird, I didn't know Watson called the plays

Nov 4, 2016, 2:07 PM

He did run a Hell of a lot more after the FSU game last year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No***

Nov 4, 2016, 9:47 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2016, 11:38 AM

I wondered the same thing. I get it - but would be nice to see him freelance it a little more. Maybe in between last and this year.
I too am puzzled about the deep ball misses. he generally has very good protection.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2016, 2:25 PM

I think he feels more secure in the pocket this year as compared to last year. They tried to keep him from running early in the year last year. The line is better this year so he doesn't need to escape. He runs when he needs to runs. The need isn't there this year. Drops are probably the most frustrating to him but he moves on. He is winning and he still gets stupid questions like he is not performing. We have had our tough games front loaded. Coming up are the potential stat builders.

If he is

Nov 4, 2016, 2:55 PM

its because he has been coached up to that.

So far Junior year has shown decreased play ... still

Nov 4, 2016, 4:00 PM

Watson is a great college QB and a tremendous asset to Clemson University. The fact he will achieve his degree makes him even more special. The kid is a total winner. Wish him the best in the NFL. A lot of season left and hard to say why his play and field awareness has slightly slipped. The big games lie ahead.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic