Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In the Marty Smith interview w/ Dabo . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

In the Marty Smith interview w/ Dabo . . .

Dec 21, 2019, 6:28 PM

did anyone catch the "new" Daboism?

At least it was new to me . . . While talking about his upbringing, going to college, being a walk-on . . . Marty asked if it still played a part in his thinking . . . Somewhere in Dabo's reply this quote caught my attention . . .

"You have to have the will to be greater than the skill . . . "

Explaining he has always been a "high risk" child . . . a "high risk" coach . . . an under skilled player and coach with a drive and desire to be better than his ability . . .

Thank God for his Will to Succeed!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In the Marty Smith interview w/ Dabo . . .

Dec 21, 2019, 6:32 PM

Yes I did catch that. Wasn't he speaking of himself, his will was greater than his skill. I thought that was a great line. That was an excellent interview.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes . . . He was talking about himself . . .

Dec 21, 2019, 6:38 PM

Marty better be careful . . . He may turn into a Tiger one day!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And, during a potential coaching job hire he had been labeled as a D+ type coaching talent!

Dec 21, 2019, 6:41 PM [ in reply to Re: In the Marty Smith interview w/ Dabo . . . ]

Wow..that must have gotten his back arched up!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will will succeed just like his dad***

Dec 21, 2019, 6:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's like K'Von Wallace said

Dec 21, 2019, 6:52 PM

"Supposed to" was not what he wanted. Like K'Von, Dabo was "at-risk" and wanted better - was willing to work for it and needed to prove to himself and others that he was better than what he was "supposed to" become.

Once someone has that recognition of his/her choice, it doesn't ever go away - even with success. There's always the drive to succeed at a higher level and prove even more what can be done.

Mostly, it's an exercise in proving it to one's self, but there's a satisfaction that comes from the recognition of that proof through the acknowledgement of others.

We're lucky to have him and should allow him the canvas and paints to create whatever he thinks he can dream. He's proved that what he dreams is worthwhile.

Re: It's like K'Von Wallace said

Dec 22, 2019, 8:24 AM

Amen - 66 !! And .... I’ll be glad to provide the paints !! Lol. -:D

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Dec 21, 2019, 7:02 PM

It was similar to his speech at Pelham High School earlier this year when they retired his jersey number
https://youtu.be/Ok60ZNm5Jcc

It was funny when he told Marty “When he no longer wanted to

Dec 21, 2019, 11:11 PM

be great - and lacked the motivation and inner drive (sic) he now has; it would be time to ‘be in Marty’s chair asking questions’.”

So, basically, Marty’s job doesn’t require you to be motivated and goal oriented, right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Marty took it well...but not

Dec 21, 2019, 11:16 PM

Everyone Marty interviews is like Dabo, so he does have to work. With Dabo, just listen...well...very, very well. He did!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Marty took it well...but not

Dec 21, 2019, 11:35 PM

Agreed. And I don’t think Dabo meant it to be condescending or a slight, either. I just have a somewhat warped POV and perspective at times. . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: It was funny when he told Marty “When he no longer wanted to

Dec 22, 2019, 12:43 AM [ in reply to It was funny when he told Marty “When he no longer wanted to ]

I think he meant the drive it takes to run a championship football program. Once he loses that edge he can go be an analyst

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2019, 8:02 AM

I noted that as well. Fantastic quote.

i guess since Bammer got knocked out, Marty has turned from

Dec 22, 2019, 8:34 AM

the Dark Side (briefly).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i guess since Bammer got knocked out, Marty has turned from

Dec 22, 2019, 9:22 AM

I met Marty at the NC in California.
Very humble and nice guy. Told me he loves covering Clemson and is a big fan of Dabo.
I am currently reading his new book and I recommend it to all sports fans.
He is one of my favorite sports personalities by far!!

Any Coot that calls Dabo a "phony"

Dec 22, 2019, 9:25 AM

and says he's not genuine, is either:
a) stupid
b) a poor judge of character, or
c) insanely jealous

I'm going with c).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic