Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm very confused on Josh Belk
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

I'm very confused on Josh Belk

Jan 23, 2018, 12:46 PM

I tend to lean in favor of Rivals for most of my recruiting analysis. Belk's absence from the top 250 makes me wonder why the three organizations (24/7, rivals, and ESPN) have such desperate takes on him. Sometimes the gap between a 3* & 4* is simply exposure but he seemed to have a great All-America week and still some wildly contrasting rankings.

The good news is Dabo sees him as a Clemson man and we all know he is in great hands once he gets on campus.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Use Composite

Jan 23, 2018, 12:49 PM

Takes away(averages out) bias

However,
ESPN seems to love both Clemson DT's

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/position/defensive-tackle/class/2018/view/position

Re: Use Composite

Jan 23, 2018, 12:54 PM

I'm not so concerned with Bias. I think all recruiting services have an agenda to get clicks, but its interesting when evaluations are so different. Basically 24/7 sees him as a can't miss immediate contributor and rivals sees him as lower end pro potential who will have an impact in college.

null

Jan 23, 2018, 2:53 PM

I not sure what these recruiting see BUT 24/7 was the preferred recruiting
site at the Army all-star game. Belk spent most of the week blowing up O-linemen
they doubled him in the game and still had to chip him to keep him out of the back-field.
I think 24/7 moved him to 5* after that week and they were there on site so I tend
to believe they have the latest and best Intel on Belk.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has some developing to do

Jan 23, 2018, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Use Composite ]

According to Rivals, he didn't dominate during games like most people would expect an elite D-lineman to do. He wasn't very active on the recruiting trail and only really considered CU and SC. That, combined with adding some bad weight (which he has since shed) probably contributed to his lower ranking.

That said, he is about to get the 4* bump on Rivals tomorrow

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 23, 2018, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Use Composite ]

I noticed when looking at Kickers... Potter is ranked 7th but here's the interesting part.

3 of the top 7 kickers were from the state of South Carolina with [IMO] it being a 6 way tie for who is 2 or 7th.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rivals puts a lot of emphasis on their own camps***

Jan 23, 2018, 1:03 PM

Re: Rivals puts a lot of emphasis on their own camps***

Jan 23, 2018, 1:17 PM

They also sometimes seem to suffer from Todd McShay/Mel Kiper disease. Sometimes you see some regional or even really influential local analysts take a contrarian stance - liking or disliking a kid too publicly - and then they tend to justify that opinion until the end of time...kinda like they did with Deshaun Watson.

Don't expect 'em to ever own up to it, either. The first time Deshaun Watson threw for 5 TD's as a rookie, the only thing McShay said was: "it's not sustainable". (He was curiously silent thereafter.)

I still well remember our old pal JC Shurburt ranking a 4-star DB called Chris Culliver as a 5-star wide receiver, off the strength of two TD passes Culliver caught at a third-tier all-star game one time. The Gamecocks, of course, were recruiting Culliver as a wideout whereas we were telling him (honestly) that he was a DB...he signed with Carolina, whereupon they then converted him to DB.

Jan 23, 2018, 6:32 PM

Yes, and Culliver would shy away from making tackles. Glad he was a coot. He had the speed, but refused to wrap on receivers and backs. He would only hit and never wrap. A separated shoulder injury may have made him scared to do so. 49ers thought they could make him tackle and he improved. But how long did he last in NFL? I have no idea.

Jan 23, 2018, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Rivals puts a lot of emphasis on their own camps*** ]

Rivals was the only site that had Watson ranked as a 5*

Is "desperate" / "disparate" the new "loose" / "lose"?

Jan 23, 2018, 1:43 PM

nm

Re: Is "desperate" / "disparate" the new "loose" / "lose"?

Jan 23, 2018, 1:51 PM

One mans trash is another mans dictionary?

null

Re: I'm very confused on Josh Belk

Jan 23, 2018, 2:01 PM

I wouldn't be concerned about some of those rankings regarding Belk. He's solid and it showed at the Army All-American Bowl. Belk has so much going for him and I'm really surprised that all these sites were so late to the party on him. I suppose they wanted to see him travel on the tours more where perhaps they could see him against some of the other elites. They really do bite on the camp divas.

Belk has always been in the Top 100 of my rankings cause he had all the things that you'd look for in an elite DL; the size, the suddenness, the punch, aggressiveness and his pad level is always on point. After his brilliant performance a few weeks ago it's hard not to put him in the Top 50. Anyhow, the fresh batch of 2019 updated rankings should be out soon for most sites. I'm close to completing mine and I'll probably put out the Top 200 on here before Signing Day.

Jan 23, 2018, 2:09 PM

^ has quit the day job and taught his dog to hunt ^

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 23, 2018, 6:57 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm very confused on Josh Belk ]

Alright a Bry sighting! Been too long! And ### gave this post a TD?...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has some developing to do

Jan 23, 2018, 4:05 PM

According to Rivals, he didn't dominate during games like most people would expect an elite D-lineman to do. He wasn't very active on the recruiting trail and only really considered CU and SC. That, combined with adding some bad weight (which he has since shed) probably contributed to his lower ranking.

That said, he is about to get the 4* bump on Rivals tomorrow

I guess Rivals doesn't know how to watch tape

Jan 23, 2018, 6:37 PM

They basically just pay attention to offers, guys from big time programs and who attends camps. If you look at the tape from the AAA practices, Belk was dominating. He's giant, got quick feet and is very instinctive. To me he basically looks like a giant version of Grady Jarrett. Dude is gonna be a stud.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic