Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you don't believe TODAY that Dabo is going to be your
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 68
| visibility 1

If you don't believe TODAY that Dabo is going to be your

Jan 19, 2014, 12:27 PM

coach 8 years from now, why would you offer him any contract at all?

Clemson believes in Dabo. For a program that floundered for 20 years after Danny, Dabo has clearly moved the program forward. And Clemson does not want to slide back into that mediocrity.

We fired a coach because he was not Danny and could not recruit.
We fired the next coach because we were lucky to win 3 games in 1998.
And we fired another coach because he could not get us into the ACC title game.

All of those coaches had success against Scar...but we wanted more and rightfully so.

Dabo has given us everything those other 3 did not...with the exception of the Scar game.

We could hire Saban or Fisher or whomever you all think is the best football coach in the world. None of that would guarantee beating Scar next year and it certainly would not mean we will win a National Title.

We have a very good coach who is driven to be great. Driven to win it all. He is not about to retire nor is he hard to work with. And by every account he LOVES Clemson and is thankful he wakes up every morning as our coach.

And our AD wanted to make a commitment to all of what Dabo is and may be.

His decision was simple...either we believe 100% in Dabo today based on the factual data he has brought to his time as our coach. Or, we think there is somebody out there better for our program that is dying to come here to coach.

But you should not invest one penny today in someone you don't believe is going to be here for 8 years winning football games. If you don't believe we will be winning in 8 years, why would we bring Dabo back next year????

Some of you all want a mulligan even before you tee off.

It was a good move...the right move...by DRad.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you just invite Tnetter to leave Tnet for STS?

Jan 19, 2014, 12:30 PM

It's about time somebody with a little juice grew a pair!

Please don't tell crump and B I said this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reason and logic have no place on Tnet..

Jan 19, 2014, 12:34 PM

:) Well done!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

B/c things can change and you want to put your program 1st?

Jan 19, 2014, 12:34 PM

Listen, I am glad Dabo got a contract extension. Dabo has elevated the program, and deserves much of the credit. To those saying Chad is the reason for the success, while that's sorta true, Dabo hired Chad and Dabo hired BV, and Dabo has hired an awesome staff, so I trust him to keep hiring good coaches. But there are a LOT of variables in college football, and things change.

And before anyone else makes a false dichotomy out of my post, I believe Dabo should have received an extension, AND a raise, AND a larger buyout. But the buyout he received was too much. No coach, other than national championship coaches, should get a buyout that high. It un-necessarily binds our program to a narrow path.

To be clear, my perspective on Dabo's buyout is not really about Dabo, it's about Clemson having the flexibility to maximize its success in the future.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: B/c things can change and you want to put your program 1st?

Jan 19, 2014, 1:02 PM

Understanding the feelings of the high buy out that slams the door shut on getting rid of Dabo. But the door isn't locked b/c Dabo would have to fail miserably before Dabo would be ask to leave. With a new starter at QB next year will give Dabo some slack, and I believe we will be successful in wins and losses. Qne year gone on the buy out for 2014. If chad leaves the next year after 2014, the new OC will be given no less than two years to right the ship from the loss of Chad. That will take Dabo's buy out through 2015/16. The buy out continues to fall after that. So I see Dabo's door shut, not locked. I will believe that Dabo will replace Chad if he goes with a equal or better OC with the money he will have to pay another quality OC that could get the job done. I think/believe we will be just fine. And until the cart turns over and burns, lets not worry about buying another one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With a new starter at QB, did Jimbo need some slack?***

Jan 19, 2014, 1:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

We are not FSU, we have to keep realistic

Jan 19, 2014, 3:48 PM

expectations ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 19, 2014, 3:46 PM [ in reply to B/c things can change and you want to put your program 1st? ]

don't bring sense into the equation...

give up your season tickets! all in or gtfo

jump off the cliff with the other lemmings

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The contract has been signed, sealed and delivered.***

Jan 19, 2014, 4:35 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2014, 12:22 AM [ in reply to B/c things can change and you want to put your program 1st? ]

Dichotomy? I think I had one of those when I was born.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you don't believe TODAY that Dabo is going to be your

Jan 19, 2014, 12:35 PM

Excellent!!!

The Buyout

Jan 19, 2014, 12:38 PM

I' m good with the contract, except there is no reason to give him the Buyout as structured during the first 3 years,

Simplest question, Who has been better since Danny?

Jan 19, 2014, 12:38 PM

Answer: No one has been better than Dabo since the days of Danny Ford. And don't mention Hatfield. He ran on Danny's fumes.

Of course this contract (which only means as much as any contract in college football, i.e., it's made to be broken) is good news for Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who has Dabo interviewed with

Jan 19, 2014, 3:32 PM

for us to ever believe he would leave?

Even if he had interviewed...that buyout is MUCH less

Jan 19, 2014, 4:15 PM

than if we fired him......makes sense right? Cause we believe in Dabo? However Scott said it...

AMEN! AMEN! And AMEN!

Jan 19, 2014, 12:39 PM

Exquisitely stated, Scott!

Go, Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you BELIEVE he can beat Spurrier?***

Jan 19, 2014, 12:46 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He already has. And of course I believe he will again***

Jan 19, 2014, 12:53 PM

Re: He already has. And of course I believe he will again***

Jan 19, 2014, 1:33 PM

Two wins I'm counting on and expecting next year are fsu and sc. Dabo and his staff will get The Tigers ready and The Tigers will get the job done.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He hasn't since the Spurred replaced

Jan 19, 2014, 3:35 PM [ in reply to He already has. And of course I believe he will again*** ]

the strength coach and offensive line coach.

How did this turn into the old S&C agenda?***

Jan 19, 2014, 4:38 PM

Easy that's when the dirty birds took over the rivalry.***

Jan 19, 2014, 4:44 PM

I thought they took over the rivalry when ...

Jan 21, 2014, 1:48 AM

... the Palmetto State suddenly produced a series of top notch football players who all grew up South Carolina fans.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the "magic bullet conspiracy" of Clemson football***

Jan 20, 2014, 8:00 AM [ in reply to How did this turn into the old S&C agenda?*** ]

Re: It's the "magic bullet conspiracy" of Clemson football***

Jan 28, 2014, 7:20 PM

Don't discount the effect that Tommy Bowden's resignation had on Clemson.

Although it may have been the right decision for both parties (over the long term) the recruiting class that resulted after his resignation stuck with Clemson for 4 years.

Not to mention the coaching instability and inexperience that allowed South Carolina to gain in recruiting.

No other coach in the history of Clemson football

Jan 19, 2014, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Do you BELIEVE he can beat Spurrier?*** ]

has faced SC when it has been good, really good. Had we not had a really good team, we would not have beaten Auburn twice, LSU, UGA and OSU.

Clemson will beat SC again, and I don't think there is a Clemson fan that will take those wins for granted, as many have in the past.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I plan on living, long enough, to take them for granted

Jan 19, 2014, 3:22 PM

again. I don't know about you.

Re: No other coach in the history of Clemson football

Jan 20, 2014, 4:26 PM [ in reply to No other coach in the history of Clemson football ]

Re: Do you BELIEVE he can beat Spurrier?***

Jan 19, 2014, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Do you BELIEVE he can beat Spurrier?*** ]

H&ll yes!!!

Slurrier just lost his best class in school history. One

Jan 19, 2014, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Do you BELIEVE he can beat Spurrier?*** ]

might argue we did too but we didn't. We reloaded...not only the freshmen but the returning seniors. Freshmen not ready is a generalization that is simply untrue. Last 2 Heisman winners should be enough proof in itself. But for our own, in-house proof just look to the upcoming draft. Good coaching brings good discipline and preparedness and we're are lucky we have GREAT coaching.

Possible 1st rounders choosing to stay is incredible when you factor in what most of these kids(unfortunately) had/ have to endure financially. If I had my kid in the recruiting hunt, that would make me stop and rewind just to see if I heard that correctly. 6-7 digit income turned down when you're robbing Peter to pay Paul is fiscally insane. Am I wrong MBA folks? Mom and Dads (the ones we want) will want to know why the likes of Vic and Spiller chose to stay.

Spurrier also used his back up QB to beat us at home.***

Jan 20, 2014, 6:21 PM

Can't compare our D now with the one Thompson beat***

Jan 21, 2014, 8:47 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Time for Dabo to take the next step

Jan 19, 2014, 12:48 PM

Agreed. I fully support Dabo but it is time for him to take a step up, beyond the pettiness of verbal jabs. Time to act cool, stay with his own business and look and act a little more "presidential" or least like the last great president we had when we last won the NC. All phases of the program are headed in the right direction. A few less fumbles and a little more discipline from both players and coaches and we could have had probably 2 wins over SC in the last 5. I think he needs to not respond or to just respond more in the way he was taught at Alabama - ACT LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN THERE. He can pump up the IPTAY crowds but leave it there and try to distance yourself from what OBS is up to.

Yep. Just STPHU and beat em. Then he can talk all he wants.

Jan 19, 2014, 1:48 PM

But what he'll discover is that when you own scoreboard, there's really nothing left to say.

(s-t-f-u gets zapped? LOL)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

you tell em, Dabo***

Jan 19, 2014, 12:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

voice seems a little high pitched to be dabo...

Jan 19, 2014, 12:55 PM

but he's bound to be excited.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Scott I agree with you 100%

Jan 19, 2014, 1:39 PM

When we first hired Dabo I thought we had taken a step back. I always thought Dabo could become a good coach, "someday", but wasn't ready for the job. Now he had some growing pains and we did take a step back initially, but sometimes you have to take a step back to take 2, 3, 4 or 100 steps forward. While I was not a Dabo fan in the beginning I am now. He is not perfect, still needs to beat SCar and he is still growing as a coach, but if you give me where we are at now with the knowledge of things can get even better and I'll take that 100% of the time.

So now we pay championship money

Jan 19, 2014, 3:41 PM

for a guy that's still "growing" ? Wonderful work D Rad and exactly where was Dabo going before this contract?

Don't know where you have been the last 3 years

Jan 19, 2014, 9:17 PM

And he is only the third highest paid coach in our conference. Number two hasn't even coached a game at his school yet.

Re: Don't know where you have been the last 3 years

Jan 20, 2014, 6:21 AM

He's been on fgf with his coot buds.

This^^^^^^

Jan 19, 2014, 1:47 PM

Agree 100% SR. Dead on brother ! Paddle in the same direction or get out of the boat !

My only question is this...

Jan 19, 2014, 2:52 PM

Why do we allow him the ability leave us pretty for 1/4 to 1/5 the price that it would cost us to leave him?

Why don't we try to lock him up so that he doesn't have the ability to leave?

That's my only issue. It's an absolutely incredible contract for Dabo, and I believe he deserves it. But I believe the buyout should be a little less one-sided.

"Where we will be in 8 yrs..." We're here now!***

Jan 19, 2014, 3:40 PM

Jan 19, 2014, 3:42 PM

gave up mine the season after he was hired Scotty...

pragmatism over passion

many a coaches would run rough shed through this conference slate

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you think the ACC is worse now than when Danny was

Jan 19, 2014, 8:08 PM

Coaching you need to do some fact checking.

Re: So you don't buy season tickets. You don't support the

Jan 19, 2014, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Re: If you don't believe TODAY that Dabo is going to be your ]

program. But you complain almost constantly about Dabo, and Clemson admin.

That is really good to know. Before I just discounted your opinion because it seemed silly. I will now completely ignore you, as your opinion has no value.

Jan 19, 2014, 4:10 PM

Amen i agree with Mr Rhymer. Its all about being ALL IN, and for the 2nd guessers just stay outside of the fence and stay off the Clemson Bandwagon, we DONT need you!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with you! Dabo is a great coach for many reasons.

Jan 19, 2014, 4:30 PM

IMO, the two best intangible assets CDS possesses are his ability to evaluate athletic talent. Then, considering his last two hires, his evaluation of coaching staff (for example Morris, Venables, Hobby). Most of us would agree that he may not be the greatest, "Xs & Os coach", he can certainly pick the right guys for the job(s). All in with Dabo and CU!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great to know we have Dabo under contract long term.

Jan 19, 2014, 4:46 PM

Excellent read.

Jan 19, 2014, 6:09 PM

welp

Jan 19, 2014, 6:13 PM

this would explain all of the sunshine on here.

the contract is well deserved and earned...that is the most important thing.

But, to think that this regime/staff are beyond reproach/criticism/critique is simply asinine.

Those who express those concerns should not be held in contempt. If it were not for those voices, Tommy Bowden's 8 wins would have been enough.

Re: welp

Jan 19, 2014, 9:21 PM

Agree for the most part but though the internet may be somewhat of a gauge for how the general population of a fanbase is taking to a coach or coordinator it's an insufficient sample from which to try and evaluate the general attitude of the fanbase.

The guys who have real votes on how things are done at Clemson do not logon and lodge complaints. I'm sure many here are IPTAY donors and some may even be able to impress everyone with proof of their allegience to Clemson. I insist that none of us have any real say so about when a coach is fired and who replaces him.

I'll add something else to that. I've said and repeated many times Dabo has had trouble controlling the emotions of our team. I've seen them when they believed they couldn't lose and I've seen them when they believed they couldn't win. That ought not to be.

I've never had anyone jump me the way you get jumped because for the most part I've supported Dabo through thick and thin because I didn't buy into the lies about him being no more than a glorified cheerleader.

Anyone who comes on Tnet and presents that attitude toward our Head Coach, no matter who he is, deserves being landblasted. Yes, I would have fired Tommy Bowden four years before Clemson got around to it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of you are wrong..,

Jan 19, 2014, 6:14 PM

Some see the buyout clause as us binding us to Dabo if he screws up...well quite the opposite...this binds Dabo to our program so that these other douchey SEC schools come begging b

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

I think it's a two way street.

Jan 19, 2014, 9:28 PM

If he agreed to stay 8 more years and we agreed to have him I can't understand where the problem lies. As Scott said, if we don't want him here eight years from now why wouldn't we fire him today?

Why? Because we can't replace him. The interruption to the program would be crippling in three years when the recruits left. We suffered the loss of a year of recruiting when TB was fired.

If we are willing to fire him as soon as Nick Saban decides to leave Bama or another coach wants a change then we aren't worth dealing with. That's like trading up your wife when her little sister comes of age. It borders being immoral when you treat employees that way and word gets around.

If Dabo isn't planning to stay until he wears out his welcome then he lack integrity and we don't want him anyway. Not that I believe that.

Clemson/Dabo is a match made in Heaven.

lulz***

Jan 19, 2014, 9:29 PM

Who has more to lose? Dabo, or Clemson?

Jan 19, 2014, 9:28 PM [ in reply to A lot of you are wrong.., ]

Dabo can be back to selling real estate or insurance or whatever teh heck he did 6 years ago was.

What about Clemson?

I'm not sure the AD, the President, or the coach

Jan 19, 2014, 9:26 PM

are our "man".

Dabo has been the only one to prove anything , and what is he has proved is that he can win in the ACC and lose to USC.

The others' choices can only be made at where they were last..and at best, those choices and accomplishments weren't that exciting.

and beat uga, auburn, lsu, tosu & take a program lost in

Jan 20, 2014, 11:50 AM

the desert to back to back top 10 finishes, 30 plus wins, yada yada yada; this back and forth is really boring.

he's here for another 4ish years, which he earned. at minimum the skewl has proven, asst money pool alone, that they are behind football 100 percent & have given dabo not only the tool to show that to recruits that, but to any potential staff additions as well.

bravo clemson for getting behind football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point for making very good argument for 8 year contract and

Jan 20, 2014, 8:33 AM

I totally agree!

Scott: just because Dabo has done a good job to date

Jan 20, 2014, 11:41 AM

Doesn't mean you offer him a ridiculous contract. The buy-outs are simply STUPID and basically tied our hands for many years.
I have no issue with extending his contract, paying him more, etc. It's practical and logical. But this contract fails to recognize that things change quickly in sports; why lock yourself into a contract when he would have signed on for a long term agreement without these idiotic buy-outs? The incentives should have been much higher, including beating USuC.
I'm astonished at the fans that seem to care more about Dabo and his contract than how it could potentially be a disaster for Clemson. We have no exit strategy and that is poor leadership and management of our program.
Believe it or not Scott, Dabo isn't god and maybe you should at least consider that as an possibility.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2014, 1:14 PM

Good job on this article!

Jan 20, 2014, 1:21 PM

This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever read...what a prick...The way you like to preach and talk down to everyone Scott ...I'm sure you are a Dabo lover ...no doubt...I just want to see your response when Dabo sets a new record in November..6 in a row.....LET'S GO DABO!!!!LET"S GO DABO !!! Scott ...do you just happen to be an out-of state alumni that has graduated and moved away from S.C.

Jan 20, 2014, 1:23 PM

You are a pathetic Gamecock fan no one gives a #### what you think. Your opinions are worthless.

null

Jan 20, 2014, 1:22 PM

STS is full of a bunch of hacks who have an over inflated view of themselves. They are a joke and an embarrassment. They think they are football gods over there but in reality know very little about the game. Their little circle jerk is quite pathetic.

null

Jan 20, 2014, 1:22 PM

This is one of the stupidest posts I've ever read...what a prick...The way you like to preach and talk down to everyone Scott ...I'm sure you are a Dabo lover ...no doubt...I just want to see your response when Dabo sets a new record in November..6 in a row.....LET'S GO DABO!!!!LET"S GO DABO !!! Scott ...do you just happen to be an out-of state alumni that has graduated and moved away from S.C.

Jan 20, 2014, 1:23 PM

Learn how to use the board mouth breather

null

Jan 20, 2014, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Re: If you don't believe TODAY that Dabo is going to be your ]

good old mikeythecoot. hey you got wish. he will be hear a long time.

Now if we could just convince him to retire those khakis....

Jan 20, 2014, 1:26 PM

...then we would definitely know the program is going in the right direction!

Some good points Rhymer but Saban analogy a stretch***

Jan 20, 2014, 9:24 PM

Replies: 68
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic