Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Big 12 is OUT of play off consideration..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Big 12 is OUT of play off consideration..

Sep 29, 2020, 9:01 AM

Without a doubt, if Clemson goes undefeated I think they get in. Strong case. Clemson is like The Rolling Stones - steady and just SHOWS UP. These other teams are like here today gone tomorrow girl bands.

It may not be right, but SEC just got 2 teams in.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama and the team they beat in the Champ game?

Sep 29, 2020, 9:05 AM

I don’t believe it, mainly because that team will have 2 or 3 losses.

Re: Bama and the team they beat in the Champ game?

Sep 29, 2020, 9:15 AM

But 2 or 3 losses this year in that gauntlet SEC conference probably gets you into the playoffs. Only one spot is open and that's Clemson's to lose. SEC deserves at least 3 and all 4 if Clemson loses. BIG is like the guy in Tombstone. "I'm sorry Johnny I forgot you were there. You may go now."

DISCLAIMER : THIS POST WAS DESIGNED TO CHECK THE BATTERIES IN YOUR SARCASM METER!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama and the team they beat in the Champ game?

Sep 29, 2020, 9:20 AM

Dang it! Was supposed to say Justin instead of Johnny. DOH!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Big 12 is OUT of play off consideration..

Sep 29, 2020, 9:06 AM

Only if it is Bama and Florida.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 9:18 AM

And what happens if Georgia should upset Florida?

Sep 29, 2020, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Big 12 is OUT of play off consideration.. ]

Only if it is Bama and Florida.

Don't count Tennessee out. They just beat a national title contender this past Saturday.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you think you can beat u6c this year ?

Sep 29, 2020, 9:07 AM

u6c LOL

TROLL ON, GARTH ! ! ! TROLL ON, WAYNE ! ! !***

Sep 29, 2020, 9:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

It's too early***

Sep 29, 2020, 9:13 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Sep 29, 2020, 9:14 AM

You think? If we go undefeated, we will have beaten Miami and Notre Dame and probably one of them twice. Yeah, that's very astute of you to think that the #1 ranked team would get in the playoffs if it were to go undefeated. Georgia is definitely in, with Greg Brady at QB. Bama yes, Florida yes, LSU sure, just because we all want to hear Coach O talk. Hope we make the Liberty Bowl. SEC deserves all the slots-every year. "It just means more." The rest of the teams are the unclean.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not confident UGA gets in. Good D, but the QB

Sep 29, 2020, 9:16 AM

needs to be figured out. and I don't think Kirby can do it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm not confident UGA gets in. Good D, but the QB

Sep 29, 2020, 9:19 AM

I was being sarcastic. Georgia will lose several games.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Big 12 is OUT of play off consideration.. ]

Good one..... I was gonna say Gilligan at QB!

1 - you still have Texas... lol (don't expect it but they could limp to the payoffs).

2 - Losing during the season isn't instadeath. You can lose at home by 14 points to a .500 level ACC team and still make it in. As 0310 State. That also said, the B12 tends to have a 1 loss team in regardless. Oklahoma has made it to the CFP... all with at least one loss each time.

3 - Most teams have 1 loss and make it in... as long as it wasn't a BLOWOUT loss.

4 - is reserved for Jawja

And a reminder OU lost to Kansas State last year as well....

Sep 29, 2020, 9:33 AM

A loss this season is disastrous. We have 2 conferences playing reduced schedules, there will very likely be MORE undefeated teams than any prior year. Add in UCF. There is no level playing field, there are very few cross conference games. It’s all about the resume, very subjective. And the SEC ALWAYS gets deference. Like it or not, that’s the way it is.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 1:46 PM

Yes/No - And I kinda agree with your point but I see the alternative too.

Last year Oregon was nixed from the playoff due to an early loss to Auburn and then a later loss to ASU. Imagine if they didn't have that OOC loss this year... but a SECCG loser or division runner-up with one loss was their rival for that 4th spot.

I think those playing a 10 conference game schedule will have a harder time than previous years UNLESS they were already scheduling ranked P5 foes (like A&M) for example.

However, you do have teams that are generally better built for beating in conference teams but weak for OOC - even if they are sunbelt, AAC, Socon - VaTech I am looking at you.

Now consider it this year. Do you find it unreasonable for a 8-1 PAC conference winner not to have a better case than a 2nd place in the division 9-1 SEC team? Last year if it was't for a OOC loss to Auburn, Oregon might have had a decent case as a 8-1 Conference champ in this 2020 style season.

It actually might be harder for the SEC to place two teams this year as I do think they would be outside looking in if there is another conference champ with the same record.

If Clemson goes undefeated you THINK they get in? Here's

your answer, HAIL YES THEY ARE IN!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 9:27 AM

Stirring the pot this morning Bulldog???

You think?

Sep 29, 2020, 9:30 AM

Who let bulldog start thinking again.

Think about Kirby faking a punt on 4th and 14 when the other team lines up in “punt safe”

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL...after one game !?!?! Bless your heart !!!***

Sep 29, 2020, 9:31 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: LOL...after one game !?!?! Bless your heart !!!***

Sep 29, 2020, 9:36 AM

Unless someone goes undefeated in the Big12, I think he’s correct. The Big 12 suffers this year from losing multiple out of conference games to mid level opponents. 1 is a fluke. 3 is a pattern.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He may ultimately be right...

Sep 29, 2020, 9:44 AM

but that can't be assessed after just one game.

If 2020 has taught us anything it is that anything can and usually does happen.

OU lost to K-State last year too (and much later in the season) but still made the CFP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: LOL...after one game !?!?! Bless your heart !!!***

Sep 29, 2020, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: LOL...after one game !?!?! Bless your heart !!!*** ]

Even worse, they have virtually no more nonconference opportunities to redeem themselves.

Going 2-1 (or roughly 26-7 as a conference) in nonconference games is barely acceptable. Going 0-1 (8-3 as a conference) is not acceptable at all.

Sep 29, 2020, 9:34 AM

Awbarn will see if the bob-tailed, flat faced, slobbering dawgs have a legit qb Saturday.

What say ye???

I wouldn't count on anything like that this year

Sep 29, 2020, 9:36 AM

Oklahoma lost to K State last year too and still made the playoff, and that was without all of the COVID craziness and the Big Ten and Pac 12 playing way less games.

You "think" we are in? GTFOH. I will enjoy your 3-4 losses

Sep 29, 2020, 9:40 AM

this year. Your OL is trash and you are about to trot out a broken QB with nothing behind him.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 9:59 AM

Because there are fewer games, chances are there will be several teams with a perfect record and several more with 1 loss. Nobody is out until they are out and with the fan base and power they have, Texas will absolutely be in if they are undefeated.

UGA 2020 = Clemson 2014.

Sep 29, 2020, 10:05 AM

Lackluster offense and a stellar defense. Maybe you can get Oklahoma in a bowl game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Sep 29, 2020, 10:06 AM

I'm very confused at all of the replies saying that there will be more undefeated teams this year because of conference only schedules.

The only way a conference can have multiple undefeated teams is if there is no championship game. I believe all Power 5 have a title game (maybe not the PAC12 but who cares if they are struggling to even play 7 games).

That means we have narrowed it down to 1 undefeated per league. If there are 4 undefeated teams then you can scratch UCF off the list of options and each of the 4 major leagues will get their undefeated title winner in the playoff.

It seems really simple. I'm not sure what people are missing.

Sep 29, 2020, 10:18 AM

Although I do look forward to the arguments why an 11-1 SEC team who lost in the conference championship should get in over an 8-0 conference champion.

Because 12 > 8

Sep 29, 2020, 1:24 PM

In fact, I submit that in some cases, a 10 - 2 team may be more deserving than an 8 - 0 team

Sep 29, 2020, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Big 12 is OUT of play off consideration.. ]

Cancelled games will factor in. If say Ohio State/Penn St is cancelled, only 1 can make the B10 Championship game. This is assuming they are still taking top teams from each division, and not top 2 overall. But even if not, it could happen to multiple teams and without extra weeks to play the cancelled games, and the strict guidelines which could cause multiple missed games. You could pretty easily have 4 6-0 teams in the same conference before the title game, depending which games are cancelled.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2020, 10:24 AM

I suspect even a 1 loss conference champ from the ACC, B1G, Big 12, or SEC will be in over a non-conference champ this year. There just aren't enough cross-conference games to be able to clearly say that one conference is better than others this year. The PAC12 and Group of 5 will be left out again unless a team from the PAC12 just goes off on everyone they play, or one of the other 4 conferences ends with a conference champ with 2 or more losses.

Sep 29, 2020, 10:55 AM

A bit early, IMHO. I would not count out Notre Dame, Ohio State, or Oklahoma. Obviously, some stuff has to happen, but this past Saturday demonstrated that this is probably the year stuff will happen.

Sep 29, 2020, 12:06 PM

This.

This COVID year is like the Olympic Games where every figure skater falls.

Does the skater with the flawless but simple routine go to the head of the line?

No patsies on the schedule, COVID tests, loss of practice and workout times, needing to get your #3 guys prepared for every game, minimal home field advantage—lots of reasons this year will be an aberration.

Coaches do everything they can to eliminate the Luck factor in a game, but this year it will play a significant role in many games, I’m sure.

This will likely be the 5th year out of 6

Sep 29, 2020, 11:10 AM

that we play a team in the semis that hasn't won their conference championship game, or has played less games leading into the semi.

total losers

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic