Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The NBA is considering cancelling games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

The NBA is considering cancelling games

Jan 26, 2020, 5:29 PM

today?

That seems a bit strange, imo. I realize that it had some effect on current players but they are highly paid athletes. And Kobe was former player, not currently playing.
I would think that fans would want to show up at games tonight.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: The NBA is considering cancelling games

Jan 26, 2020, 5:34 PM

No way. I'd be shocked if they didn't cancel the games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2020, 5:36 PM

I think it's a good call. Seems rational to me. They are humans. Who cares what their pay is? It would be a waste of a game. They can honor him at the All Star game and play that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 26, 2020, 5:45 PM

Ridiculous. He was arrogant enough in life. What about all those fans who bought tickets?

Jan 26, 2020, 5:54 PM

Sad look bro.

Jan 27, 2020, 6:08 AM [ in reply to Re: The NBA is considering cancelling games ]

Anyone who is a real fan of basketball would understand and respect it and not be that selfish.

Probably just saying that to remind people their still is

Jan 26, 2020, 5:56 PM

an NBA.

And to get some viewers.

You know it's way bigger than college football, right?

Jan 26, 2020, 6:23 PM

Re: Probably just saying that to remind people their still is

Jan 27, 2020, 6:14 AM [ in reply to Probably just saying that to remind people their still is ]

Hahah!!! The NBA is huge second only to the NFL.....definitely bigger than college football.

Re: Probably just saying that to remind people their still is

Jan 27, 2020, 5:07 PM

The NBA sells a lot more merchandise one would think, because it is huge worldwide, especially in China.

By what metric?

Jan 29, 2020, 6:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Probably just saying that to remind people their still is ]

College football gets more viewers across the sport during a regular season Saturday than the average NBA finals game...

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NBA is global, the # 2 CFB media market is GSP***

Jan 29, 2020, 6:52 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm going to post a thing which will likely anger many

Jan 26, 2020, 7:43 PM

I dont see why we are making such a big deal of this. he is well known and many of us invited him into our living rooms when he played, but he was just a basketball player.

I've had a few celebrity deaths strike me, but those were transformative type personalities. Most athletes we will know for only a very brief period as few can hang on any longer. So what I perceive is a bunch of people getting pouty about a person who entertained us only a short period time...it seems not just a few would be willing for the nation to go into formal mourning over this (there have been a number of others).

my closest friends growing up were like this. they would become truly mopey if a celebrity they liked passed away. so, I've seen this kind of thing most of my life, but I've never really understood it. maybe someone here can at least give me insight, because it's truly foreign to me.

Re: I'm going to post a thing which will likely anger many

Jan 27, 2020, 6:10 AM

The guy was way bigger than basketball. He was a fascinating dude. You just didn't know much about him.

Jan 27, 2020, 6:17 AM

I agree. I had no doubts that guy would eventually be something more in the NBA......an owner or even commissioner.

Jan 27, 2020, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm going to post a thing which will likely anger many ]

you did nail the fact that I didnt know him beyond being a ball player - I could care less about basketball. now, if MJ died that might be another story, but if we are going to be consistent, where were we when Wilt Chamberlain died? How did we respond? he was a great athlete, a representative of greater integration and a truly transformative figure. I dont remember much being done.

Jan 27, 2020, 12:55 PM

Wilt was 63 and his health was rapidly deteriorating because of heart trouble. 63 isn’t old by any means but Kobe was 41 and it’s ended so suddenly.

Wilt was great but everyone had time to talk about him later in life spread out over years. The Kobe thing all happens on 1 day.

Kobe is the MJ for this NBA's genration. Can you think of

Jan 27, 2020, 1:09 PM [ in reply to I'm going to post a thing which will likely anger many ]

another superstar in any sport (I don't count NASACAR as a real sport) that died at this age and so suddenly?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kobe is the MJ for this NBA's genration. Can you think of

Jan 29, 2020, 3:46 PM

for me to have even heard of him indicates he was a superstar, but who cried when Gaines Adam's died? where was traffic stopped? we thought he was a great guy and he was ours. how bout reggie White?... btw, I dont have a number 3 on anything I own... I'm sorry, just dont get it.

Jan 27, 2020, 7:16 AM

I don’t watch the NBA so they can cancel the whole season if they want. I do feel for Kobe’s wife, children, family and friends. Those who actually knew him have my sympathy

Jan 27, 2020, 12:59 PM

NBA means nothing to me but what Pels-Bos did was interesting.

In honor of #24, each team purposely let the 24" clock expire on their first possession.

Jan 27, 2020, 1:00 PM

Less games for me to not watch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2020, 9:12 PM

Forgot the bought-off attempted RAPE charge, did you Holy Kobe lovers>>

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic