Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Frankly I would be ok renaming Tillman Hall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Frankly I would be ok renaming Tillman Hall

Jun 9, 2020, 12:45 AM

If you look at the building I think it has Main on it and used to be named Old Main.

I am born and bred Clemson but I get it. Tillman wasn’t just a product of his era - he continued to perpetuate the slavery mantra. Naming a building after someone is done to honor them. We shouldn’t be honoring such a man - even if he got Clemson started.

You can’t eradicate the past and I don’t think we should as there is much to learn from it. But I don’t think we should continue to honor a man who was an avowed racist.

Flame away. I love Clemson and that won’t change no matter what happens.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand and respect your stance...

Jun 9, 2020, 1:04 AM

I dont see any reason someone should flame you for that. But I think we're not honoring him, his ideals, etc. as much as we're honoring his contribution to the University. Agreed, Tillman was extreme, but it's a slippery slope. Take his name off and before we know it, we'll be renaming everything.

Re: I understand and respect your stance...

Jun 9, 2020, 2:21 AM

Renaming historical places and things is silly. Any reasonable person knows this. Itll never end. Ever. Tolerance is a two way street. Renaming places just divides people more. Its not a solution.

Real healing will only begin if people have more love for each other. Not hate. Who cares about history. Its history. Racism in conquered in a persons heart, that's where the battle is faught, not in renaming places. Lets atart by accepting each other and not by demanding things.

If it's history then rename it to Main Hall... as it was***

Jun 9, 2020, 3:25 AM

Re: I understand and respect your stance...

Jun 9, 2020, 6:59 AM [ in reply to Re: I understand and respect your stance... ]

Cornflakes said:

Renaming historical places and things is silly. Any reasonable person knows this. Itll never end. Ever. Tolerance is a two way street. Renaming places just divides people more. Its not a solution.

Real healing will only begin if people have more love for each other. Not hate. Who cares about history. Its history. Racism in conquered in a persons heart, that's where the battle is faught, not in renaming places. Lets atart by accepting each other and not by demanding things.

Divides people? The status quo is dividing people, but you are ok with that?

It’s not, “silly,” or unreasonable to rename

Jun 9, 2020, 7:04 AM [ in reply to Re: I understand and respect your stance... ]

A building, park, street, school, or any other inanimate object. Even cities. And it happens throughout history.

For example, I live in the city of:
Standing Peachtree > Canebreak > Whitehall Post Office > Terminus > Deanville > Thrasherville > Marthasville > Atlanta

Did you know we have T-net posters here, that are older than the city of Clemson? The city was called Calhoun until 1943. And prior to that, it was Fort Hill.

Sometimes it’s done for the sake of convenience, and sometimes it’s done for politics. But it happens everywhere, all the time.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It’s not, “silly,” or unreasonable to rename

Jun 9, 2020, 7:35 AM

Exactly. Also it seems like nobody had a problem renaming it the first time

Jun 9, 2020, 7:36 AM [ in reply to It’s not, “silly,” or unreasonable to rename ]

yeah.. I can certainly see you as someone who will back their next attack. attempting to knock down fort hill or change the name of the school/city entirely.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I love this place, I've got a spot already picked out where I want 'em to put me when I die - up there on that ole hill near the stadium. I want to be there so I can hear all them people cheering my Tigers on Saturdays; then I won't have to go Heaven; I'll already be there."- Frank Howard

Jun 9, 2020, 9:11 AM [ in reply to It’s not, “silly,” or unreasonable to rename ]

Interesting post and take.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m fine with Old Main and Clemson Honors College

Jun 9, 2020, 6:32 AM

Simplistic, Clemson/Calhoun Honors Grad 08

If they must be renamed, I am on board with this proposal***

Jun 9, 2020, 9:06 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Frankly I would be ok renaming Tillman Hall

Jun 9, 2020, 6:41 AM

Be prepared to have every building, street, and monument in America to be renamed every 40 years then (and the rest of the world falls short in comparison). George Washington owned slaves and was conflicted about it. He illegally taught them to read, write, and then free'd them at the time of Martha Washington's death (via his will) before slavery was ever abolished.

If we run through every person that's ever lived through a present day PC-meter they all
fall short, even MLK.

I'd personally like to hear 1st hand what Deshawn and Nuke have to say about it and I'd be interested to hear their perspectives though. Either way, my point is that it's a slippery slope. Clemson has demonstrated by good faith it's commitment to civil rights long before it was PC to do so. I just dont believe that whitewashing men so instrumental to its founding and current successes is neccesarily the best path forward.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 8:58 AM

First off, it's Deshaun and Nuk. Spell our best players' names right please.

Also, please explain slippery slope. Don't define it, I know what it means. I want you to detail exactly how a slippery slope works in this situation. I'll even start you off:

"First, we remove the names of racist slave owners from our Buildings, Then....."

Ok, now you tell us all how this logically progresses.

Jun 9, 2020, 9:41 AM

Wow, somebody is awefully hostile today.

Nice try troll. If you don't understand how subjecting everybody who's ever lived to your personal litmus test might be slightly arbitrary, then I have neither the time nor inclination to enlighten you.

Some people just aren't worth the time, and you're definitely one of "those" people. Hopefully this incites you to post another angry response. Please confirm by pecking out that message on your keyboard right now. I won't be reading it, but I bet it'll make you feel like $10.

Have a nice day.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 9, 2020, 9:56 AM

So you couldn't give an example of how it is a slippery slope? You're just one of those people that likes to yell "SLIPPERY SLOPE!" and has no idea how it's even applicable. Figures

Jun 9, 2020, 7:14 AM

I had classes in Tillman. To me, it will always be Tillman. Just leave it the eff alone. If you did not like the name BEFORE you came to CLEMSON, then you should have gone elsewhere. Or AFTER you came to CLEMSON and realized that you despised the name of any of the buildings, then you should have gone elsewhere to complete your education. JMO and that won't change.

Jun 9, 2020, 9:49 AM

Not trying to be argumentative, but I had no idea who any of these people were when I was a student. I had a ton of classes in Tillman but didn’t know who he was...just a name on a building.

It was probably a decade after graduation that I learned the history.

Personally I don’t care what name is on the building today. It makes no difference to me. If the name on there is offensive to the students/faculty/staff then they should be able to change it.

Sort of like the students that probably said “it’s stupid to change the name, it will always be Old Main to me.”

Jun 9, 2020, 7:24 AM

I’m ok with it too. Old main sounds like a dignified name, and it was the original name.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t think old ben tillman cares

Jun 9, 2020, 7:44 AM

Right now, he’s probably waiting with the other murderers for the devil to insert a hot poker.

Jun 9, 2020, 8:14 AM

Your rationale and that of others is to erase the history of a wretched past. POTUS 44 and his 'admin' set about to Change America by doing just that. It is too bad that the name of the university, buildings, roadways & communities ignite such uncontrolled emotions and stimulate potential violence that will never be made whole.
History is history; we all need to learn and benefit from it by avoiding the errors made in the past. Angry public assemblies, disturbances of the peace and destruction of others' property are not the answer to solving the American issues nor the unrest of identifying Clemson--the town or university.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What can we rename the university since Thomas Green was a slaveowner??***

Jun 9, 2020, 8:17 AM

Disagree - let's just move on***

Jun 9, 2020, 9:31 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic