Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm all for 9 conference games and sick of playing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

I'm all for 9 conference games and sick of playing

May 2, 2014, 11:50 PM

weaker competition....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm all for 9 conference games and sick of playing

May 3, 2014, 12:10 AM

The acc would be much better off just banning playing 1AA teams. Give tv and fanswhat they want.

Re: The ACC shouldn't need a rule to do this. We play a

May 3, 2014, 12:21 PM

perfectly reasonable schedule without such a rule, while honoring our historic ties to our friends at Furman, The Citadel, etc. There's no reason the other schools - especially those who have the luxury of having their rivals as conference games already - shouldn't follow suit ON THEIR OWN!!!

If they'd give us 5 ACC home games, tthen maybe

May 3, 2014, 12:50 AM

But on off yrs you'd get 4 home games and 5 away. And if you play @ ND that year it would be a sixth road game, as they don't apply as a conference game. And if you play @ scar, thats 7 road games.

I like how we play 8 conference games and two sec teams. I'd like to see us keep it that way and have more home games.

In the mind of the ACC, it paritizes the conference

May 3, 2014, 1:07 AM

Boston College, Syracuse, Duke, Wake, even Tech, UVA, Miami, UNC make more money by hitting the road. In the mind of the ACC: Clemson, FSU, VPI, Notre Dame, Louisville, NC State can afford to spread more of their wealth around.

Obamba Raghead would be proud of the implementation of his policy/mindset.

-DNT

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

So tell me what

May 3, 2014, 3:16 AM

does Clemson pay conference opponents for coming to Death Valley? I think you'll find the number is far less than you have in your mind.

Is my post is a little abstract for you, Whiz Bang..

May 5, 2014, 11:07 PM

I ask for relatives and you demand absolutes. Tell me something, Richard Cranium, do you think those that I say benefit from roadies fare better a home?

With your mind like Roquefort Cheese, so ripe it palpably falls to pieces, will you bother to answer such a trivial question?

-Tesla

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Actually I like 10

May 3, 2014, 6:49 AM

5each home and away. Then SC and one mid-level. Would make an interesting schedule.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I disagree

May 3, 2014, 9:17 AM

One great thing about Dabo is that he likes to schedules great OOC games. Whether it be TCU, Auburn, UGA, etc. I would much rather play a team like that than a team like Pitt.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo has no say in schedule***

May 6, 2014, 7:55 AM

May 3, 2014, 10:11 AM

I like nine also.

Regarding the other two games, the following rules were once adopted by our Clemson Club:

No more than one lower division game every four years.

Lower division games only against teams with an all-time losing record

OR against teams located in South Carolina.

My biggest argument against 9 conference games

May 3, 2014, 12:08 PM

Is the uneven scheduling it invites. Schedules are already unbalanced enough without having to introduce some teams having 5 home games and others have 5 away games.

Now, there are some interesting models that have everyone in each division playing the same number of home and away, or even some pod setups achieving this.

But I think we're overthinking this.

Yet more reason I'm no fan of these mega-conferences.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They should just redo or eliminate the divisions. That

May 3, 2014, 12:19 PM

would help everybody make more money, allow for the elimination of the permanent rivalry game (by getting these teams in the same division), and allow teams to rotate through the other division at a reasonable rate.

I could only get on board with 9 games if they allowed us to "buy" home games from other teams again. In fact, that's a rule that needs to be changed anyway.

thought they did that for this year..***

May 4, 2014, 5:33 PM

Unless we're guaranteed 5 league home games every

May 4, 2014, 5:41 PM

year, this is a horrible deal for the bigger drawing football schools, especially the ones with major OOC rivals.

It involves us not only subsidizing the weaker programs, but weakening ourselves in the process. We really can't allow this to happen unless we're guaranteed that 5th league home game every year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo. A lot of people don't get it and never will.***

May 4, 2014, 5:57 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8 conference, 2 from "big 5" conferences, 1 at large D-1

May 4, 2014, 5:54 PM

And max one D-2 from within your home state. If a team does not take this option, they get a second D-1 at large.

Make1 of the 2 "big 5" games a conference wide challenge, rotating among the big 5. Would be cool to see some of these head to head match ups. But would have to have same number of football playing schools in each of the big 5.

You realize that we pretty much already do this

May 4, 2014, 11:29 PM

Some years we'll play a couple 1AA teams, but we usually have 2 SEC teams, 1 non-AQ div 1 team, and then an in-state 1AA team. It's the rest of the ACC that needs to beef up their schedules.

What we really need to get rid of is the permanent cross division "rival". The conference has become so large that now we don't see some teams for up to 7 or 8 years. That's ridiculous. We need to get on a much better rotation.

The only times

May 5, 2014, 11:22 PM

we have played two I-AA/FCS teams is when we have had holes in the schedule. This past year we had a schedule hole after dropping a MAC team when the ACC went to 9 games originally. The only other time we have played two in the same season was the year La Tech bought out of our game with them in 2008. Both times we exhausted all possibilities of a I-A/FBS game before we signed up the second FCS team. Both times SC State was gracious enough to adjust their schedule to help us fill a hole, so I will never complain about playing the Bulldogs. They bring as big of a crowd as the majority of the ACC schools and the Marching 101 is always a treat.

So when did I miss the ACC-Big 12 Challenge

May 6, 2014, 7:20 AM [ in reply to You realize that we pretty much already do this ]

On the gridiron?

May 5, 2014, 12:49 AM

The simplest solution might be to just add another game to everyones schedule. Making a 14 game regular season.

Here's the problem with a 14 gm regular season

May 5, 2014, 1:05 AM

The playoff system could continue to grow and expand it's field to 16. If such were to case you could end up playing the 14, + conf champ gm, + the 4 playoff games. That would give you a total of 19 games. Including any bye weeks would also prolong the season. But it would be entertaining for fans and certainly wouldn't hurt television ratings.

May 6, 2014, 7:24 AM

well since we won 11 games last year i guess those teams were weaker competition. since we finished 8th in the polls wouldnt it be hard to find stronger competition. now, did that sound as stupid as what you just typed.

May 6, 2014, 7:27 AM

You serious Clark?

A 9 game Conference schedule guarantees games like UGA will not ever happen again.

We will have 10 locked games....9 Conference and Scar.

That leaves two spots and Clemson will want to have 7 home games. That means we are stuck playing lower level teams EVERY YEAR.

null

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic