Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm a young guy, 35. This is for the older gents...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

I'm a young guy, 35. This is for the older gents...

Mar 7, 2018, 12:22 AM

Can you remember a few year time span that the Tiger Football, Basketball, Baseball and Soccer were all relevant on the national level at this time of the year... I'm a youngin' but I can't remember anytime all Clemson sports were this relevant at the same time. Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, but it's been a good while.***

Mar 7, 2018, 12:30 AM

Re: Yes, but it's been a good while.***

Mar 7, 2018, 2:12 PM

I do too, but it's been so long I don't remember.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson sports were good in the 80's but probably not all

Mar 7, 2018, 12:46 AM

at the same time like this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: I'm a young guy, 35. This is for the older gents...

Mar 7, 2018, 12:49 AM

Maybe around 86-87, frankly I think we’re probably in uncharted territory. Clemson has had its share of success over the years, but I think right now is the best it’s ever been. I hope they can keep building. I’d like to see us stomp a hole in the blue bellies a couple of times in the Dean Dome before I die.

“.... blue bellies...” ?!?

Mar 7, 2018, 8:21 AM

Dang Gumby just how old ARE you? I think I’ve only ever heard that term in reference to the Union troops during The Great War of Northern Aggression back in the 1860’s....

??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: “.... blue bellies...” ?!?

Mar 7, 2018, 2:48 PM

Ha!!!! I’ve been calling them that since I was 18. Here’s the back story. I grew up as a Tarhole fan, my dad graduated from there in 55, my older sister went there, my 2 younger brothers both graduated from there. When I was a freshman (81-82), the Tarhole Swim Team came to Clemson. They were so incredibly arrogant and I will never forget it. The hate just boiled up inside of me and has never left. Sooooo........yeh.........blue bellies, intoned with disgust and disdain. ??

I used to work with I guy from NY. We used to refer to the “War of Northern Aggression”, just to watch him blow a gasket. He never got it.

Mar 7, 2018, 12:59 AM

We are now, and that is all that matters bc the past stays in the past until someone wants to talk about, but everybody is talking about what we are doing now, yesterday and today, and hopefully tomorrow!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2018, 5:14 AM

This is all good for the Sears cup. (Wait, didn’t sears close?) I love we are competitive in all 3 sports, but it’d be nice nicer to to win something in one of them .

Sheesh, Morris...

Mar 7, 2018, 6:24 AM

Short memory? Football won 'something'.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As other posters said, during the 80's the FB team was top

Mar 7, 2018, 5:39 AM

10, the basketball team was about where it is now (but won the regular season ACC in 1990), baseball was a little bigger threat to go to Omaha, and the soccer team won the national championship a couple of times.

Giving equal weight to all sports, those years were probably a little better, subject to what happens this year. Giving more weight to football, this moment seems better with the three straight NCAA playoffs and a championship.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You won't be able to say that much longer. :)***

Mar 7, 2018, 7:05 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do remember in late 80's--maybe 87....

Mar 7, 2018, 7:07 AM

Clemson didn't lose a single sport--MENS OR WOMENS--to usuck.....and several of the mens sports finished ranked pretty high nationally....

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dude....'87....really?

Mar 7, 2018, 8:34 PM

Does the name "Roooooodney" by chance bring back an unpleasant memory from that football season? It does for me.

I was at Clemson 86-90

Mar 7, 2018, 7:16 AM

They were all relevant during that period, but maybe not all During a single academic year

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go back and look at the four records.***

Mar 7, 2018, 7:29 AM

Mar 7, 2018, 7:26 AM

Thought the soccer team had a chance to go all the way this year and we lose in the first round lol. Maybe next year.

When I was in school. 1987.

Mar 7, 2018, 7:43 AM

Very good in football, but not at Dabo's level. Very good in basketball. Very good in soccer (watched us win a Natty at Riggs Field). Very good in baseball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2018, 7:48 AM

I would say 35 is youngish

Mar 7, 2018, 7:57 AM

Certainly in the mid eighties we had great soccer and football teams. I never followed baseball much. Still don't. Don't really follow soccer, but we won two NC's in soccer in the mid 80's. Hard to miss that. I think those soccer NC's were our first ones.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2018, 8:00 AM

1978 comes to mind. Ford became football coach for Gator Bowl against Woody Hayes; I think this is year basketball beat Ky at Rupp Arena; Soccer to Nat game; Baseball won ACC.

Mar 7, 2018, 10:29 AM

I'm an older gyu, and I can't remember it. Heck, I can't remember a lot of things though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2018, 10:43 AM

I'm also a young guy so have to depend on researching the record books, something I have failed to do. However, I do remember some of the older guys talking about a football national championship, a couple of soccer championships and several trips to Omaha but I don't know if they occurred during the same time frame. I'm living in the present and enjoying every victory the Tigers post, regardless of the sport. Heck, I'd be proud of the Tigers if we had a Hop-Scotch national championship or a Mule Dressage championship team. I wish we could get our women's basketball program to the ;point where we could be competitive on a national level.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1986-87 was a pretty good year (late 80's in general too)

Mar 7, 2018, 2:29 PM

Football - 8-2-2, #17 AP, won Gator Bowl
Basketball - 25-6, #13 AP, lost 1st round NCAA tournament
Baseball - 54-14, #10 BA, lost regional final
Soccer - 12-6-2, no NCAA appearance (but won the national title the following season, fall 1987)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2018, 3:35 PM

1989-90 was probably the best academic year for Clemson sports.

But then Danny Ford got fired and all hell broke loose.

1980/81

Mar 7, 2018, 5:43 PM

Football - Natl Championship
Basketball - Elite 8
Soccer - ACC Champ/Sweet 16
Baseball - ACC Champ

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1980/81

Mar 7, 2018, 5:55 PM

In 1969 we beat the Twerps like 35-0 in a mudbowl...Frank got canned after loosing to the Coots.. Baseball was played but few were there...Sock her,..nobody i knew anybody that ever mentioned it...not enough wimmins around for a basketball team..watched Butch Zatazalo or something like that from Pencivaneya play..It was kinda a blur if you know what i mean...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1980/81

Mar 7, 2018, 6:21 PM

Yes . .when I was in school, we made it to the final 8 in BB, should have made it to the final 4 by beating UCLA, but. . . . . Danny was the coach and we had been building a team heading to the championship in '81. Baseball was always relevant and good. And soccer was one of the bests as well.

Mar 7, 2018, 7:00 PM

Just my take, but 1 good year doesn't make a good program- Bask.

1987-1990***

Mar 7, 2018, 7:12 PM

Mar 7, 2018, 7:22 PM

I think we reached the elite 8 in basketball in 80 and won the football title in 81. I'm not sure about baseball those years.

In the late 90s we reached the second round of the NCAA basketball tournament and were finishing up a stretch of 4 ten win seasons in football. Again, not sure of baseball.

Our basketball success have been the most limiting. We are better now than we have ever been in football, but not in basketball or baseball. That's us.

Mar 7, 2018, 8:23 PM

I'm going to say we were pretty good when I was an undergrad starting in 1989. I believe we were 40-8 in football over the 1989-1992 seasons. Sweet 16 in hoops (fie on you Tate George). Playoffs in baseball each year (incl 1 CWS appearance). Playoffs in soccer a couple times.

Granted (and this is a big GRANTED), football was winning but on a downward trajectory then. That was Ford followed by Hatfield and it was downhill from there on the gridiron.

Mar 7, 2018, 8:23 PM

I'm going to say we were pretty good when I was an undergrad starting in 1989. I believe we were 40-8 in football over the 1989-1992 seasons. Sweet 16 in hoops (fie on you Tate George). Playoffs in baseball each year (incl 1 CWS appearance). Playoffs in soccer a couple times.

Granted (and this is a big GRANTED), football was winning but on a downward trajectory then. That was Ford followed by Hatfield and it was downhill from there on the gridiron.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic