Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Long periods of out-of-sync offensive drives...even with an all-world QB and RB
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Long periods of out-of-sync offensive drives...even with an all-world QB and RB

Jan 6, 2021, 2:29 AM

We had SIX drives (without even including the fumble and interception) where the offense couldn’t move the ball for more than 20 yards against the Buckeyes. SIX futile drives in a semi-final!!!

This actually happened in several ACC games too but BV’s defense was able to bail them out for the most part when we go on these out of sync offensive drives.

I am not sure we can simply attribute these to OL play. I hope Dabo and Tony Elliot come up with an offensive scheme that maximizes our players’ abilities instead of relying on their ability to out-athlete.

It’s probably time for them to do a refresh as what they learned from the Chad seems to have run its course.

Also, we can blame ESPN all we want but DW4 and TL16 would have won the Heisman if they were helped by creative offensive schemes and play-calling. I remember a game where TL16 had Will Swinney and Will brown as WRs with Darrien Rencher as RB in the second quarter. Not sure how we can call that depth building.

Anyways, can’t wait for what the tigers do this offseason and see how we tackle JT Daniels and the Dawgs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Long periods of out-of-sync offensive drives...even with an all-world QB and RB

Jan 6, 2021, 7:47 AM

This is good analysis; you have explained something that has been bothering me; seems our players have been winning and not our play calling...DW4 got us here and it wasn't the offensive play calling...same for TLaw and the 2018 D line. Chad had a hard time adjusting during a game once the other side figured him out...good point you made about Chad. In 2015, Tigers had the studs outplaying Bama but in the title game, Bama had the coaching/play calling...which ultimately was the difference.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Long periods of out-of-sync offensive drives...even with an all-world QB and RB

Jan 6, 2021, 7:51 AM

You make some good points but wasn't this loss more on the defense's inability to stop OS? Also, the same schemes were being run (I think) when we beat the heck out of Alabama two years ago.

Jan 6, 2021, 8:11 AM

Our schemes need a refresh on offense and we struggle against top level talent. The eval is spot on.

We had an offensive line that would struggle against Furman***

Jan 6, 2021, 8:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jan 6, 2021, 8:25 AM

When you score as many points as we did last season,#3 in the nation, there is nothing wrong with the scheme but you are spot on that lack of playing time for starters is why a Clemson player will never have the stats to win a Heisman. The other huge issue affecting that is that until our competition gets better, we will not change the substitution pattern. We will not substitute against Georgia in the opener next season.

We will substitute in 4th qtr due to large lead against UGA***

Jan 6, 2021, 10:48 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% agree....

Jan 6, 2021, 8:34 AM

the defense should've had some stops, but everybody seems to be glossing over the fact that the last 2 playoff games OUR OFFENSE has gone up against mediocrish defenses in Ohio State & LSU and have only been able to score 26ish ppg. That's WITH TL & ETN in the backfield. I do think our offensive playcalling/scheme/etc... needs a refresh.........NOT AN OVERHAUL, but a tweak refresh because our last 2 playoff performances have been underwhelming offensively.

and before people "hear what i'm not saying". I said a REFRESH......look in the mirror........I'm not saying make heads roll. I also think we need our humility back..........and Dabo needs to put a chip on our shoulders again.

Re: 100% agree....

Jan 6, 2021, 9:35 AM

I'm not saying the offense was perfect in either game because we obviously had issues in both. However, I'd argue that 26 points is pretty darn solid, and should've at least put us in a position to have a chance to win both of those games in the 4th quarter had our defense been able to help us out more.

Re: 100% agree....

Jan 6, 2021, 9:48 AM

in the 6 CFP championship games the winning team has scored 35+ in every game but 1.

The winning team has scored 42+ in 4 of the 6.

Essentially if you want to win the title the offenses have to score. Yes, getting a few stops is important, but in this "new era" of college football the offenses "rule the roost". We can't have "off games" offensively and expect to win the title. Again, i'm not "worried" or calling for heads, but I do think our offense needs "a look in the mirror" (and our defense) and tweak in the off season ALONG WITH some humility........I feel like we lost that this year.

Jan 6, 2021, 8:39 AM

We were depleted at several positions this year. Combine that with a few misses, and the depth took a serious hit. Lawrence was without his top 3 WR for the vast majority of the year. We all know what is going on with the o-line. That is almost enough to completely detail most offenses. Clemson was fortunate to have an all world QB in Lawrence.

You can look at the defense and practically say the same thing about that side. Add in you and inexperience and it's a hard road to travel down.

Next year will be different, barring injuries.

Jan 6, 2021, 9:13 AM

I believe that the early substitutions Have benefited the team allowing for serviceable replacements when TL was lost for two games, when Davis was lost for several games, when the 1st and 2nd string MLBs were out, when both starting DEs from last year were out, when our 2nd string RB was out, and when at least 3 WRs were out. Will Sweeney and Will Brown had to substitute some because of need. I agree that our substitution patterns prevent Heisman numbers and diminish the reps that the first string get, but that is a necessity based on this Covid year and injuries.

Jan 6, 2021, 9:19 AM

For anyone saying Bama has creative offensive schemes, have you actually watched them this season? Just go back and watch the ND game at least. They basically just threw screen passes all game long and relied on their athletes and blocking to earn yards out of it. Then after awhile of this they would throw a longer pass to Smith here and there.

5 games we lost with ETN

Jan 6, 2021, 9:23 AM

he averaged 10 carries per game.

Re: 5 games we lost with ETN

Jan 6, 2021, 9:32 AM

I think it's common that a running back is going to average fewer carries in losses though. I think we could've gotten him more carries against LSU last year, but it was difficult in the Ohio State game because their offense kept the ball and ate up a ton of clock, and because we were down by 14+ from about midway through the 2nd quarter, and then 21 at the half.

Re: 5 games we lost with ETN

Jan 6, 2021, 11:43 AM

2017: 5 carries against Syracuse, but he wasn't the starter yet.

2017: 4 carries against Alabama before he got hurt.

2019: 15 carries for 78 yards against LSU

2020: 18 carries for 28 yards against ND - he just wasn't effective

2020: 10 carries for 32 yards against OSU - again we were way down and he wasn't very effective

Overall, I don't see a pattern of underutilization of Etienne as the reason we lost those 5 games.

Jan 6, 2021, 9:30 AM

Our coaches should constantly be looking for ways to improve on both sides of the ball, so I agree to that extent without a doubt.

However, I think you're not giving enough credit to how difficult it is to be consistent on offense when you can't count on your OL to be consistent, and when you're as limited at the receiver position as we were this season. You mention Will Swinney, but he was as high as #5 on the receiver depth chart in a few games this year due to our injuries at the position. Williams looked great at times this season, and I'm excited about his future, but him having to be our #3 receiver as a true freshman shows the spot we were in there.

Our inconsistency on the OL allowed defenses to minimize our run game without always having to stack the box, and after that they basically just had to account for Rodgers and Powell as we had no other consistent threat at receiver. ETN, Rogers, and Powell were talented enough to make plays, and Lawrence was talented enough to make the proper throws and often pick up needed yards with his feet. However, when you're that limited in terms of options with an OL that struggles to block then it's going to be nearly impossible to be consistent on offense against a quality opponent.

A lot of the "out-of-sync offensive drives" you refer to

Jan 6, 2021, 9:45 AM

CAN be traced to bad offensive line play. Usually it starts when we attempt a running play on first down, and get stoned at or behind the line. Now, everything is off schedule. Pass in order on 2nd down, usually incomplete, or complete for a short gain. Behind the sticks on 3rd down, the opposition brings the house, and we are unable to complete a pass to get the first down.

Now, I consider most of that to be on the O-Line. But, our receivers during those times either have not gotten separation, or Trevor simply runs out of time (again on the O-Line) and has to throw it before he is ready, missing badly.

Just look at what the Bucknuts were able to do against us. I know we did stop the run a few times, but there were also WAY too many times that it was 2nd and 2 after a big run on 1st down. And, on those occasions that we did stop the run, Fields had time to look around and find an open receiver in the passing game. Again, their O-Line out performing our defensive line. Call it holding or whatever, it ain't holding if it ain't called.

The LSU game last year and Ohio State this year were almost carbon copies of each other. Although, against LSU, it seemed even more hopeless. This year, we could have come back, if we played well offensively at all in the second half. We did not, for the most part.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ignoring the abilities of the TE position is an issue

Jan 6, 2021, 9:48 AM

Every year, we have "phenomenal talent" like none other ever seen, but average MAYBE 3 plays a game for them. To make things worse, it seems as if their role as blockers isn't even utilized to help our pitiful OL. I believe this would be a point of improvement from either Pearman or Elliott.

Jan 6, 2021, 10:30 AM

It’s football. Get over it

Jan 6, 2021, 10:45 AM

I understand that at times, that offensively you have to scheme around certain talent, but there were many times during this season that play selection was questionable.
I also think that some of our talented players were underutilized. Examples would be the TE's, and even Rogers in my opinion. It felt a lot of times as if we were dependent on ETN. Our opponents obviously felt the same way.
Our plays were either within 2 yards of the LOS, or 20 yards or more. The threat of the long ball was not big as it has been the past few years, because of the WR depth.
As always, very proud to be a Tiger, and don't question what the coaches do because I don't have all the facts. Just a few things that stick out about the season to me offensively.
Defensively there were also issues.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei.

Jan 6, 2021, 11:21 AM

Imagine what ETN or TL could’ve possibly done with an Alabama type OL....

Jan 6, 2021, 11:26 AM

Agree with your assessment. We didn't seem to have any creative plays to call. Much like the last drive at ND. I don't think I remember us running any double reverses. TL (and I realize ol had a problem) didn't use a double clutch very much.

In the osu game, one of the late drives in the 4th, we'd throw it up to amari to highpoint and out jump defenders... Had we played ej Williams more reps during the season, he's great at high pointing and snatching the ball.

Also noticed we forced Spector in the games a ton too. In the VA tech game, I think Williams got one target and the rest was to spec. I understand that Spector is a legacy player but y does tnet keep referring him as a 4 star recruit. His offers were to Mercer. Not dissing spec but Dabo and grisham compared stellato to spec... I hope stellato is better than Spector.

Being honest, we really didn't have the talent level to match OSU. I totally understand that you're going to have your renfrows and turners come up through the ranks and become good players, same with some OL players but you can't rely on that talent level across the board. Just seems to me a lot of our 4 and 5 star talent aren't developing as you'd think they should be.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The offensive line wasn't good,

Jan 6, 2021, 11:35 AM

we were missing our top-3 most talented WRs basically all year, and the TEs haven't been a strength since Leggett.

I will also say that Etienne didn't look himself for most of the year. I get the OL is to blame, but that same burst and power from previous seasons just didn't seem there this year.

I think we all also expected DeMarkcus Bowman to be a pretty large contributor by the end of the year.

Lawrence was great, but the rest of the offense had issues.

I thought it was pretty obvious for most of the year that we weren't the best team in the country. The ACC Championship Game gave me hope, but Alabama and OSU were clearly better than both us and ND.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic