Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you still wonder why college gets more expensive
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,500

If you still wonder why college gets more expensive

Aug 25, 2015, 1:56 PM

Here is just another reason.

http://newsstand.clemson.edu/mediarelations/clements-appoints-clemson-university-diversity-advisory-council/

Cost to educate doesn't change much. Cost to administrate keeps skyrocketing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you still wonder why college gets more expensive

Aug 25, 2015, 2:04 PM

Half of the people listed are in volunteer positions, several others obtain funding from sources outside Clemson, others are professors, and I believe the remainder serve on the president's cabinet.

It's the magnitude of the effort along with having

Aug 25, 2015, 2:46 PM

people directly on the payroll that matters. My wife was on a similar committee or council for a local college as a volunteer. Their focus wasn't as controversial or as current but they still managed to take up a lot of time. Between the full time staff that was engaged with their meetings randomly and all of the follow ups, presentations, brainstorming sessions, etc., it was a serious boondoggle for university employees. A big part of their time - after she quit what my wife referred to as wasted time - was spend meeting with a crap load of different academic advisory groups. In her view they were simply screening all the committee's activities and not really contributing. Call it "filtering" to make sure the committee wasn't getting too far off track. These academics were tattlers to the college officer in charge of the effort.

So my point is that it has little to do with the direct cost of this council and more to do with the total burden on Clemson salaried employees starting with the official "officer" role.

Multiply this effort times 20 or more for the wide range of committees and councils that meet and review and think and propose and blah blah blah and the dollars add up fast.

That's a drop in the bucket

Aug 25, 2015, 2:08 PM

While that stuff does get bloated, the reason tuition goes up is because SC funds less than 10% of their universities' operating costs. That number was about 5 times higher a decade or two ago. Most states are between 10-20%. Homeland security and getting ipads for 1st graders has put a couple generations in debt.

By the titles of the representatives on that council I think

Aug 25, 2015, 2:49 PM

I see all people represented except the white male. Why does "diversity" always leave them out?

State support of higher ed has fallen 35% per student since

Aug 25, 2015, 3:58 PM

2008 in SC.

That should be the subject of your ire. What you are talking about is meaningless.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Numbers can be deceiving

Aug 25, 2015, 5:31 PM

You may be right that the legislature has specifically reduced the total portion of the state's revenue allocated to higher education. But when the costs escalate at rates multiples higher than personal income and revenue collection, I wonder how much of the 35% per pupil is tied to the value of money and comparative real costs.

But even if true, that makes any additional and unnecessary expenditures particularly atrocious. It's as if the school administration is giving the middle finger to students saying "pay up suckers". If your level of state support is dwindling as you claim, would you spend more or less?

Re: State support of higher ed has fallen 35% per student since

Aug 25, 2015, 5:34 PM [ in reply to State support of higher ed has fallen 35% per student since ]

But the state also rewards students who have good grades with Hope/Life and Palmetto Fellows scholarships.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At what point does this start to get out of hand?***

Aug 27, 2015, 8:04 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,500
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic