Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The GOP ain't quite dead yet.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 87
| visibility 1

The GOP ain't quite dead yet.

Oct 12, 2016, 1:22 PM

Assuming (as most do) that Clinton will win the election, the GOP has a clear road back to prominence.

It involves doing a few things.

1. Unhandcuff itself from the dead hooker that is Donald Trump. Yesterday would be a good time to start.
2. Campaign like crazy for the 2018 midterm elections. (Which should be pretty easy with Hillary as president.)
3. Have no more than 5 people running in the 2020 primaries.
4. When the inevitable 2016 autopsy comes out, pay attention to the results.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a solid post! POINT!

Oct 12, 2016, 1:26 PM

The subject is the message. This text is extraneous.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO, ride the Paul Ryan train in 2020

Oct 12, 2016, 1:27 PM

I'm going to make the assumption that Clinton's first four years will be a Dumpster fire. Rally the partied together like the Dems do and set it up so he's the candidate. I could see him forcing Clinton out of office.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Agree 100%...

Oct 12, 2016, 1:31 PM

...but I'd put Rubio in the discussion as well. The Gang of Eight isn't THAT much of an anchor. He's a comer, and I honestly think he's the answer. He's young. He's very smart. He doesn't have any scandals, that I know of. And he's a conservative. ####, even Mark Levin endorsed him in Florida back in the day.

Hey Corny

Oct 12, 2016, 1:31 PM

What did you do to get booted last time?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's pretending not to be Corny this time around.

Oct 12, 2016, 1:40 PM

Clever shtick, really.

At first his schtick was pretending to be a democrat

Oct 12, 2016, 1:46 PM

then he abandoned that, and went back to being Corny light.

I'm waiting on the semi-newds to be posted, and the next Corny scok.

The seminewds didn't get him banned the last time, it

Oct 12, 2016, 1:51 PM

was more of the unprovoked personal attacks. Pretty sure he just got a warning for the LBODs before the hammer came down.

I didn't see what did it.

Oct 12, 2016, 2:03 PM

One day he was here, the next he wasn't. But really, that happened about 15 times before, so it wasn't a new feature for him.

I agree on Rubio.

Oct 12, 2016, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Agree 100%... ]

Either way, narrow it down. And go with the young guys to win the women back to the party.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Given the current logic in refusing to confirm Garland

Oct 12, 2016, 1:33 PM [ in reply to IMO, ride the Paul Ryan train in 2020 ]

I have this mental image of McConnell explaining how the people's only way to have a voice in the composition of the Supreme Court requires Hilary Clinton to win a second term before confirmation of any of her Supreme Court nominees can occur.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

McConnell is no conservative.

Oct 12, 2016, 1:36 PM

If the GOP holds the Senate, he should be replaced.

That's total BS***

Oct 12, 2016, 1:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Conservative Review Score...lol

Oct 12, 2016, 1:40 PM

https://www.conservativereview.com/members/mitch-mcconnell/liberty-card/

They actually call it a Liberty Card, lol.***

Oct 12, 2016, 1:41 PM

Dig into the methodology...

Oct 12, 2016, 1:42 PM

If one is aligned ideologically toward the conservative side, it's a solid metric.

I tried digging into the methodology but ran into a

Oct 12, 2016, 1:47 PM

paywall containing Ronald Reagan in a cowboy hat.

I determined it wouldn't be fiscally responsible to spend money on a website I don't care about.

Lol. I can't argue with that.

Oct 12, 2016, 1:49 PM

It's based on votes, and how those votes measure against their criteria governing what constitutes conservatism. Very constitutional viewpoint.

Never heard of the Conservative Review

Oct 12, 2016, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Conservative Review Score...lol ]

The rating people actually care about are the ACU's ratings, which have McConnell at a lifetime score of 89.47, and a score for the year of 75.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are almost pathological in their views...

Oct 12, 2016, 1:47 PM

...regarding the constitution, but that's a good thing in my view. You know Mark Levin, I'm certain, and he's their editor-in-chief, so that should give you an idea of their editorial perspective.

https://www.conservativereview.com/about-us

That won't happen

Oct 12, 2016, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Given the current logic in refusing to confirm Garland ]

Instead, what I hope happens is that Republicans take a page out of the Democrats' playbook and stop voting for judges based on whether they're qualified, but instead start voting based on whether they'd properly fulfill their duty of interpreting the constitution as those voting see it.

The problem, is there's a decent chance the

Oct 12, 2016, 1:38 PM

democrats take back the senate this year.

Paul Ryan is done

Oct 12, 2016, 1:36 PM [ in reply to IMO, ride the Paul Ryan train in 2020 ]

He ended his national political career when he was forced into running the circus sideshow that is the house.

I don't know about all that

Oct 12, 2016, 1:50 PM

He hasn't had the problems that some in GOP leadership have had with losing contact with their district and becoming unpopular with the overall party. Breitbart and the Trump campaign tried to push a false narrative about his election primary being close because he wasn't all-in with the Trump campaign, and then Ryan won by about 70%. Sure, any leader of a dysfunctional party is going to catch some flak, but he's got better conservative instincts than some recent speakers.

On the other hand, I think he's more effective in Congress than he would be as a national executive. I also think that's where his heart is- in fact, I think he would've preferred to stay on as budget chairman over becoming the speaker. From everything I've heard, he's basically had to be pushed into every position beyond committee chairman.

Those 30% of primary voters

Oct 12, 2016, 1:54 PM

They don't strike me as a forgiving bunch. I think the Republicans best bet is to find someone free from the stench of this entire debacle.

Ryan, Bush, and Marco are all done Presidentially imo

Oct 12, 2016, 2:02 PM

it would take a sad field for them to get a pub nominee imo. If they did, they wouldn't get turnout in the general.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bush, yes. The others, no.***

Oct 12, 2016, 2:04 PM

Rubio pissed probably 30% of pubs.

Oct 12, 2016, 2:07 PM

it would take a lot of time and damage control and correct voting for him to change that.

Wait til Ryan gives Hillary blank check like they did Obama. That aint gonna sit well. Plus his stance on immigration will never fly in the primaries.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No he didn't.***

Oct 12, 2016, 3:50 PM

As my example

Oct 12, 2016, 1:56 PM [ in reply to I don't know about all that ]

Look to the bottom of the thread to a Mr. Tiger, X.

I mean, yeah

Oct 12, 2016, 2:01 PM

But you're never going to make people like that happy. And the thing is, there really aren't that many of them. They can be neutralized in a primary when there aren't 15 reasonable candidates and 1 or 2 unreasonable candidates, and I don't think their differences with somebody like Ryan who isn't corrupt and who actually seems to care about conservative policy are big enough for them just to not vote.

"Rally the party". Blech.***

Oct 12, 2016, 2:21 PM [ in reply to IMO, ride the Paul Ryan train in 2020 ]

Seems like rinse and repeat....

Oct 12, 2016, 1:32 PM

GOP has dominated midterms the past 8 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I were the GOP, and I'm not, I'd grab the 2020 election

Oct 12, 2016, 1:35 PM

cycle in the pussy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The GOP ain't quite dead yet.

Oct 12, 2016, 1:36 PM

5. Push for even stricter voter ID laws
6. Figure out a way to gerrymander the congressional races.
7. Have your PR firms Invent fake scandals to de-legitimize the current presdient
8. Invent a fake grass roots moment that pushes the interests of the fossil fuel industry

oh wait, i thought you were talking about 2008.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't know the democrats were pushing for

Oct 12, 2016, 1:38 PM

stricter voter ID laws.

Cause all that other stuff they did, too.

Re: I didn't know the democrats were pushing for***

Oct 12, 2016, 1:42 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2016 Autopsy: Deals with Trump never workout.

Oct 12, 2016, 1:45 PM

Remember when the GOP made Trump sign an agreement to promise not to run as a third party?

Yeah, deals with Trump get you screwed every time.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Trump aint the problem with the GOP

Oct 12, 2016, 1:53 PM

The establishment leadership is.

Have you forgotten how McCain was the love child of the media before he got nominated?
Then they destroyed him.
How bout Mitt? He again was the moderate semi-lib. After he got nominated, he was portrayed as the devil reincarnate.

If say Bush was the nominee, he would be some stupid pub who can't even spell his name. Oh and he's part of that Bush family, the one's the libs and media crucified every yr they were in office.

But again, back to my point, these type of pubs won't get turnout from their base anymore. The base has been lied to over and over by these people. This is why we have Trump.

2008 was hardly a good year for national Republicans

Oct 12, 2016, 1:58 PM

It's hard to blame anything but circumstances and a talented Democratic nominee for the McCain loss. Sure, Mitt got crushed by the Obama campaign and media (one and the same?), but people didn't find his background very appealing and he was also facing Obama.

I also find it hard to believe that "the base" wouldn't turn out for an actually conservative Republican if they'll turn out for a whackadoo like Trump when he's facing someone like Hillary Clinton. Too many people have placed their own personal agendas onto Trump when he can't remotely bear them.

turn on, no, but won't go out to vote

Oct 12, 2016, 2:00 PM

Mitt didn't get his base out to vote, which might as well be a vote for Obama.

The only chance Trump has is her base isn't enthused, especially youngins.

Ok, Mitt didn't...

Oct 12, 2016, 2:04 PM

but we're not talking Mitt Romney when we talk about people like Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz, Scott Walker, etc, etc. The Republican Party actually has a deep bench of relatively young conservatives, and none of them are as milquetoast and wishy-washy as Mitt Romney.

Cruz and Walker might have chances

Oct 12, 2016, 2:09 PM

But Walker, something fishy made him remove himself so early. I suspect he was threatned with leaks on a scandal.

Oh and Cruz would literally be killed the MSM

Oct 12, 2016, 2:10 PM

he might as well be Trump part 2 after they get finished with him.

On the National Scene

Oct 12, 2016, 2:05 PM [ in reply to turn on, no, but won't go out to vote ]

The Pubs simply run into a very tough math problem...that get's increasingly tougher by the day. The base, proportionally, is shrinking, but in order to get out the right, you've got to totally #### off the center, but if you stick with the center, you totally #### off the right.

Dems have a similar problem, but have shockingly handled it somewhat better, with an assist to Trump this year.

well, you have to admit, the deck is stacked against the

Oct 12, 2016, 2:14 PM

pubs in every national election.

They have to overcome the onslaught of media(they don't even hide it anymore and just Trump) and now the bigtime online web companies who control information.

Most people don't get their info from reading or watching things for hours, they get it from 5 second clips from the media or headlines. It's a huge disadavantage right off the bat for pubs.

should say, and not just Trump***

Oct 12, 2016, 2:17 PM

The Pubs shoot themselves in the foot

Oct 12, 2016, 2:21 PM [ in reply to well, you have to admit, the deck is stacked against the ]

And then blame someone else. You're still stuck with a very difficult math problem. Your base is proportionally shrinking, and yet there is nothing being done to expand it on a national level.

The Pubs could break off a chunk of the conservative Hispanic vote with some common sense immigration reforms and a simple scaling back of negative rhetoric.

The Pubs could also peel off a portion of the black vote with a scaling back of rhetoric and a concerted effort to actually listen.

After 2008, the Pubs basically laid this out, but must have forgotten about it somewhere along the way. There are simply not enough pissed off white people to win a national election anymore.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

thats bs

Oct 12, 2016, 2:30 PM

every time a pubs tries to reach out, the msm screams pandering. Its just face time. Every election, the media stories are skewed toward the libs. It's not even close.

Just to give you an example, remember the Matt Lauer interview. The libs went absolute bezerk over it. So much so, they have basically threatened all the other moderators in the debates. They don't want the Matt Lauer treatment. But my point is, what Matt did to Hillary(which was actually very tame) is what pubs get 1000 times a day from every media source out there. Libs can't even take it once.

McCain and Mitt were the "safest" candidates out there and the media destroyed them. If you think they "found" thing out, what is Hillary then? They didn't even vet Obama his first run. The media rented houses next to Palin to "vet" her.

You know the media tries to obliterate pub candidates. It's not even debatable anymore.

What is a common sense immigration reform that would

Oct 12, 2016, 2:30 PM [ in reply to The Pubs shoot themselves in the foot ]

get conservative hispanics to vote Republican? And why would reform even matter, if we aren't worried about following immigration law in the first place?

Also, what are Republicans not hearing from the black community that keeps them from getting their vote?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

since when did following the law become a bad thing?

Oct 12, 2016, 2:31 PM

oh, that's right, when libs say its wrong. We're not even allowed to follow the law anymore.

An interesting question

Oct 12, 2016, 2:43 PM [ in reply to What is a common sense immigration reform that would ]

From actually talking and working with a large number of conservative Hispanics ... increase worker permits ... stop pretending like Hispanics are "stealing" jobs and accept the fact that the majority are simply filling a hole in the labor market. I don't even think you have to offer "amnesty" because many that I know would prefer to be a "guest worker" as opposed to an American citizen. Hispanic people are proud and when the G.O.P. paints them as lazy freeloaders it turns off the entire voting block. I know several Hispanic people that are just looking for a reason to vote Republican.

I think the black community is tired of being portrayed as "welfare queens" and "thugs". They feel like the Republican party simply doesn't care about the plight of the inner city. Come up with some viable solutions to problems like public housing and generational poverty (the dems sure haven't). Understand that the black community does have legit issues and stop looking for a reason to marginalize their fears and Pubs could easily expand into the middle class black vote and possibly dip into some Democrat strongholds in major cities.

Well, they are stealing jobs

Oct 12, 2016, 3:04 PM

I mean, are you trying to tell me we couldn't find brick masons, agricultural laborers, etc. before the influx of millions of illegal hispanics? Ridiculous. Why do we owe hispanics an increase in worker permits? I've heard so much this election cycle how we have to create jobs! Create more jobs, yay! Create them so we can outsource them to guest workers? Stupid.

Seriously, how do democrats reconcile wanting to increase the minimum wage, yet not wanting to stem the flow of illegal labor?

So here we are, talking about two communities, one of which is directly affected by the other. What happened to all of those black agricultural workers? Well, they don't have a job anymore, cause Jose does their job for half the pay, and is willing to work longer hours. I believe there was even a lawsuit filed in Georgia recently, due to farmers "discriminating" against black workers in favor of hispanics.

Then you've got the media in bed with the democrats, so each and every republican solution is deemed racist, or worst.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I expect you attitude to prevail

Oct 12, 2016, 3:06 PM

Which once again leave Republicans with an impossible math problem.

It's not just an attitude, it's the reality of the situation

Oct 12, 2016, 3:14 PM

And that reality leaves all of us with an impossible math problem. You cannot let people continually flow in at their whim and maintain stability in the country. And eventually, the citizen begins to feel less appreciated than the non-citizen, and that's not good for anyone.

You guys are doomed***

Oct 12, 2016, 3:30 PM

Unfortunate, you don't get to be unaffected just cause

Oct 12, 2016, 3:37 PM

you're a democrat. You'll be in the same boat as the rest of us! Your property taxes get to go up too, among other things!

From the Pubs in 2012 after Romney Loss:

Oct 12, 2016, 3:40 PM

1. Pass Immigration Reform Yesterday

Normally the RNC's focus is more on infrastructure and staff than policy, which is left to politicians to chart. But the party's standing with Latino voters has gotten so dangerously low that the RNC's report openly begs Republicans to change their position in defiance of the party's own 2012 platform.

"We are not a policy committee, but among the steps Republicans take in the Hispanic community and beyond, must be to embrace and champion comprehensive immigration reform," the report read. "If we do not, our Party's appeal will continue to shrink to its core constituencies only."

There's also a dig at Romney and his hardline position on immigration in a section referencing one of his most famous lines. Per the report: "If Hispanic Americans perceive that a GOP nominee or candidate does not want them in the United States (i.e. self-deportation), they will not pay attention to our next sentence."

It's worth stopping a moment to recognize what a huge leap this simple statement represents. The GOP platform, approved last August, rails against "amnesty," demands "double-layered fencing" along the border, says that "state efforts to reduce illegal immigration must be encouraged," pledges to "create humane procedures to encourage illegal aliens to return home voluntarily" (i.e. self-deportation), and declares that "federal funding should be denied to universities that provide in-state tuition rates to illegal aliens."

2. Listen To Minorities

Much of the report is about encouraging Republicans to listen not just to Republican minorities, but to reach out to black, Hispanic, and Asian American voters in their own communities. The reason: arithmetic.

"By the year 2050 we'll be a majority-minority country and in both 2008 and 2012 President Obama won a combined 80 percent of the votes of all minority groups," RNC chair Reince Priebus said in a press conference debuting the report. "The RNC cannot and will not write off any demographic or community or region of this country."

Minority outreach doesn't always come naturally to the party. Priebus was asked about a panel on race on Friday at the Conservative Political Action Conference that turned into a debacle as the audience heard from whites sympathetic to slavery and tea party participants shouted down a liberal black woman offended by the event.

Priebus recommended that the RNC regularly talk with not just conservative minority groups, but the most prominent organizations in minority communities, like the NAACP for African Americans and the National Council of La Raza for Hispanics. This, too, has been an issue in the past: President Bush avoided speaking at the NAACP until after Hurricane Katrina and conservative commentators have a long history of smearing NCLR as an extremist group.

Whether the latest effort will make a difference is an open question, but Priebus has signalled it will be a top priority. He's already committed $10 million to minority outreach as an initial display of his seriousness.

3. Gays Aren't Going Away

It's not a coincidence that more Republicans are endorsing gay marriage: gay rights has gone from a wedge issue against Democrats in 2004 to a topic President Obama actively highlighted in his 2012 campaign.

The RNC's report doesn't come out for marriage equality, but it warns that the party needs to move left on gay issues, not so much because gays are an important voting bloc, but because intolerance scares off other groups of voters, too.

"Already, there is a generational difference within the conservative movement about issues involving the treatment and the rights of gays -- and for many younger voters, these issues are a gateway into whether the Party is a place they want to be," the report reads.

Priebus praised Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) on Monday for "making some pretty big inroads" by endorsing gay marriage recently -- even as the RNC chair fell short of endorsing his position.

4. Epistemic Closure Is Real

There's been a long running debate on the intellectual right about whether the GOP suffers from "epistemic closure," a condition in which conservatives block out all dissenting voices until eventually their own arguments sound nonsensical to anyone who doesn't already agree with them. The RNC report concludes this is a real and growing problem.

"The Republican Party needs to stop talking to itself," its authors write. "We have become expert in how to provide ideological reinforcement to like-minded people, but devastatingly we have lost the ability to be persuasive with, or welcoming to, those who do not agree with us on every issue. Instead of driving around in circles on an ideological cul-de-sac, we need a Party whose brand of conservatism invites and inspires new people to visit us."

As if the suggestion that Republicans are close-minded isn't wading into delicate enough territory, the same section suggests that the party's obsessive focus on Ronald Reagan may be harmful as well.

"Ronald Reagan is a Republican hero and role model who was first elected 33 years ago -- meaning no one under the age of 51 today was old enough to vote for Reagan when he first ran for President," it reads. It approvingly quotes columnists Michael Gerson and Pete Wehner, who wrote last month, "It is no wonder that Republican policies can seem stale; they are very nearly identical to those offered up by the Party more than 30 years ago."

5. Look To The States

The RNC report makes a careful distinction between federal Republicans -- bad! -- and state Republicans -- good! The GOP currently holds 30 governorships and many of them, like Chris Christie in New Jersey and John Kasich in Ohio, have been both moving to the center and gaining in popularity recently. They stand in stark contrast to House Republicans, who have more conservative constituencies and typically have been more inflexible in their views.

"Republican governors are America's reformers in chief," the report reads. "They continue to deliver on conservative promises of reducing the size of government while making people's lives better. They routinely win a much larger share of the minority vote than GOP presidential candidates, demonstrating an appeal that goes beyond the base of the Party."

The report's advice echoes Mitt Romney, who spoke at CPAC on Friday and urged Republicans to look to governors -- especially blue state governors -- for tips on how to rebuild the GOP. Christie -- who Romney cited by name -- was not asked to speak at CPAC due to conservative anger with his few moderate lapses.

6. Stop Being The Rich Guys

Less than year after nominating a millionaire investor who proclaimed that "corporations are people," the RNC is concerned that the party has become too closely tied with wealthy interests.

"We have to blow the whistle at corporate malfeasance and attack corporate welfare," the report says. "We should speak out when CEOs receive tens of millions of dollars in retirement packages but middle-class workers have not had a meaningful raise in years."

The report doesn't offer much beyond rhetorical suggestions here -- it actually recommends loosening campaign finance laws to allow corporate money to influence politics even more -- but it does acknowledge the issue is a legitimate threat.

"The perception, revealed in polling, that the GOP does not care about people is doing great harm to the Party and its candidates on the federal level, especially in presidential years. It is a major deficiency that must be addressed," the report reads.

but I'm just a dumb democrat...what do I know?

How many blacks live in "the inner city"?

Oct 12, 2016, 3:17 PM [ in reply to An interesting question ]

I wouldn't think it's a majority.

Enough

Oct 12, 2016, 3:32 PM

To make the majority of major cities blue.

Interesting.

Oct 12, 2016, 4:36 PM

I've understood black to only be 12% of the entire population. So you're telling me that a majority of that 12% must all live in inner cities to the extent to swing the entire city voting block to be blue?

I'm not sure that makes mathematical sense.

Basically

Oct 12, 2016, 4:46 PM

2,200,000 NYC
915K Chicago
700K Phila
600K Detroit

Taking a chunk out of the black vote in any of these "urban" centers would certainly help the G.O.P. cause, esp in Illinois (mostly rural other than Chicago), Penn, and Michigan.

So what you're telling me is that <13% of the population

Oct 12, 2016, 6:39 PM

ALL live in inner cities, and they all vote the same?

Again...this makes no sense.

Or was that just a rhetorical question

Oct 12, 2016, 2:47 PM [ in reply to What is a common sense immigration reform that would ]

because you don't think Republicans can actually compete for Hispanic and Black votes. If that's the case, you guys are eff'd. Personally, I think Pubs could make a big push with a concerted effort into both voting blocks.

It would be hard for them to with the state of the media

Oct 12, 2016, 3:08 PM

Hard to get your message across when the platform delivering it is so biased against you.

Democrats have a conundrum brewing themselves, though. One which could swing some votes in Republicans favor. They've simply catered to too many special interest groups, many of which have opposing ideals. This will become more evident with time, particularly as the muslim population in this country grows.

You sound like a Louisville fan

Oct 12, 2016, 3:33 PM

Just play better.

Easy to say when you're not the side getting a personal

Oct 12, 2016, 3:38 PM

foul called on you for calling a timeout.

If you are too blind to see Pubs beating themselves

Oct 12, 2016, 3:44 PM

and then blaming it on the media, you're in too deep. They are literally following none of their own parties assessment after 2012, and are once again getting beaten by an easily beatable candidate.

Stop blaming the refs and play better.

I think you're looking at this too much like a football game***

Oct 12, 2016, 3:47 PM

So which recommendation are they following?

Oct 12, 2016, 3:50 PM

They basically said, "here is how we lost last time" and instead of fixing the issues, they doubled down. You show me how they have tackled these issues and how the media is simply unfairly saying they didn't and I'll be happy to listen.

I'm not saying they've tackled the issues, but if you're

Oct 12, 2016, 3:59 PM

trying to pretend that there isn't massive media bias against republicans/conservatives, you're living in lala land.

I mean, in this very thread you've conceded that democrats really haven't done squat for blacks....yet they overwhelmingly vote in favor of them. Why is that?

If you can't follow your own recomendations

Oct 12, 2016, 4:01 PM

Don't complain about the media. Sorry, you can't suck and then say the game is rigged. If the Republicans were following their own advice they might even find the media more accommodating.

Mother Theresa could be running for the pubs right now,

Oct 12, 2016, 4:04 PM

and she'd be getting vilified as the devil by the media and democrats. That's pretty much fact. That's not to say the pubs are on their A game or anything, but it is what it is. They've got a considerably steeper hill to climb than democrats do in regards to getting their message out.

The big bad "media"

Oct 12, 2016, 4:06 PM

Has covered every Trump fart. Are you saying he hasn't had an adequate microphone to get his message out? If anything, the "media" is complicit in this Trump disaster.

You're just being dense now

Oct 12, 2016, 4:12 PM

no where have I said lack of coverage was the problem, it's the fact that no matter what a republican says or does, they'll be deemed a racist of worse.

Now trumps pretty terrible, no argument there. But they would have vilified anyone who stepped into that nomination. You'd have Fox and maybe Breitbart picking up the slack for the nominee, but most other outlets would have been in attack mode.

Here is an interesting article from the Federalist

Oct 12, 2016, 4:23 PM

It happens to fall in line with most of my views on the media. Feel free to peruse and respond.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/05/mainstream-media-doesnt-have-a-liberal-bias/

If anything, that article implies that there is much more

Oct 12, 2016, 4:32 PM

of a silent majority of conservatives than the left would like to believe.

Not really

Oct 12, 2016, 4:35 PM

It's pretty much split down the middle.

I think Cam and I both mentioned it

Oct 12, 2016, 4:04 PM [ in reply to I'm not saying they've tackled the issues, but if you're ]

Look harder.

The whole demographic thing is a non-issue

Oct 12, 2016, 3:05 PM [ in reply to The Pubs shoot themselves in the foot ]

I agree that Republicans could do more to reach out to minorities, but I don't think they need to change their policies to do it. A lot of it has to do with insensitive rhetoric, if not rhetoric that is simply offensive from people like Trump.

SNOWFLAKE^^^^***

Oct 12, 2016, 3:06 PM

Re: well, you have to admit, the deck is stacked against the

Oct 12, 2016, 3:16 PM [ in reply to well, you have to admit, the deck is stacked against the ]

> Most people don't get their info from reading or
> watching things for hours, they get it from 5 second
> clips from the media or headlines. It's a huge
> disadavantage right off the bat for pubs.

I'd argue that fact is one of the few remaining advantages for Republicans.

Also....

Oct 12, 2016, 2:08 PM

Agreed on the detachment from Trump. At this point, hanging on to him is likely career suicide. Giuliani, Christie, etc., are going to learn this the hard way.

They were both done anyway

Oct 12, 2016, 2:09 PM

Their only chance at power is a Trump miracle at this point.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

Interesting that the two prominent hangers on

Oct 12, 2016, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Also.... ]

are politicians from in and around Trump's home territory.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Back to prominence"? LOL***

Oct 12, 2016, 2:34 PM

eff the GOP***

Oct 12, 2016, 2:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ed Zachary***

Oct 12, 2016, 2:40 PM

Replies: 87
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic