Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you are worried about the DL next year….
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 5,077

If you are worried about the DL next year….

Dec 12, 2018, 6:15 AM

Or the defense in general, you need a reality check.

“But we lose our entire starting defensive line and key pieces from the back 7!”

-How quickly y’all forget the last time this happened. Remember the 2016 draft after the 2015 season? In that single draft, we had the following guys drafted off the defense:

DL - Shaq Lawson, DJ Reader, Kevin Dodd
LB – BJ Goodson
CB – Mackensie Alexander
FS – TJ Green

In 2016, we had EIGHT (count em, EIGHT) new starters on defense with a LOT of young guys.
You know who took over for these guys during the national championship winning season?

DL – Clelin Ferrell (RS Freshmen), Dexter Lawrence (True Freshman), Christian Wilkins (Sophomore), and Austin Bryant (sophomore, did not play much until Lawson got hurt in the 2015 Orange Bowl, and also didn’t play the first 3 games of that season with the foot injury). These “young” guys sound familiar right?

Keep in mind we still had Carlos Watkins (coming off his recovery from the crash) and Scott Pagano who both had more experience than the four who ended up starting. Also, can’t forget we also had Albert Huggins in that rotation as well.

2014 and 2016 forever changed my long-held views on two specific things:

1) You always start the season with the more experienced QB, but that changed with that 3rd and 8 followed by that 30-yard bomb for a TD that Deshaun threw against UGA in 2014.

2) More experienced defenders are needed for a great defense, but that changed with that 2016 defense.

If you’re worried about the defense next season, don’t be. Recent history has proven that Coach V has this under control.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you are worried about the DL next year….

Dec 12, 2018, 6:54 AM

I’m just a little apprehensive specifically about the DT depth past Williams and Pinckney. The 2016 team you replaced Reader with a top 5 recruit in the country which was arguably an improvement. Now you’re replacing a top 10 draft pick with a still talented but less talented player so it’s not apples to apples.

The only way this becomes an issue is if we sustain multiple injuries at DT which would impair any team. Kelly with an off-season to bulk up, Jeffries off a redshirt, and Tyler Davis (fingers crossed) and hopefully Tayquon Johnson when he cleans up some technique will be a nice 6.

DE’s shouldn’t see much of a drop off IMO and are still very deep. I like the talent that we have at DT, it’s just unproven to this point. BV has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to this so it’s not a major worry.

Hopefully only have to replace 1 LB and 1 CB (assuming Lamar stays and Mullen leaves) and like the pieces we have waiting behind them.

This should give this great LB class we’re bringing in time to develop without needing to be relied upon and don’t be surprised if Booth starts the opener, he’s going to be a stud.

We’re set up to have another great year next year on both sides of the ball, and we’ll finally have a punter.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 8:37 AM

I agree with all of that except the Andrew Booth day 1 starter. I could maybe see it if he enrolled early but he will need to make up a lot of ground in 2 months time. Now could I see him starting mid-year? Absolutely.

AJ Terrell has one side locked up so really it's one spot between McMichael, Williams, Goodrich, Booth, and Sheridan Jones. All of this assuming Mullen is not back in TigerTown.

No offense to him

Dec 12, 2018, 8:47 AM

But we can take Williams out of the discussion. And Mcmichael is backing up Terrell on his side I believe so that would leave Goodrich, Booth, and Jones.

I’m fully expecting Mullen to leave but if his draft grade comes back lower than anticipated that will be a huge surprise and huge boost.

Dec 12, 2018, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: If you are worried about the DL next year…. ]

While there is always reason to be concerned over personnel losses ( especially star power like we are losing ) I tend to agree with the OP … our staff has recruited exceptionally well and our team is as prepared and as talented as just about any team in the country … year in and year out .
Hasn't always been this way , but it is now . Todd Bates was a great hire BTW , and he has a really good core of guys returning on the DL . Venables will have some outstanding LBs back... particularly if Lamar stays .
I believe we could see another top 10-15 defense yet again , that is how much I think of this staff and our continuing culture as an entirety .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 12, 2018, 7:18 AM

The most talented player we have returning on defense is Jimmy Greenbeans. With Coach BV returning, the D will be fine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't need a reality check, but we will miss the front 4

Dec 12, 2018, 7:27 AM

quite a bit. I like some of the guys behind Bryant, Ferrell, Wilkins and Lawrence.

But we will miss that front 4....partly due to talent and partly due to their leadership.

That is the reality.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 7:28 AM

The Sky is Falling.
What, Me Worry!
If it helps I will try to watch more Reality T.V.
Is it time for a reality check now, or do I still have 20 days till it's next year
and then I really have to worry about it!
And finally
"Here he comes to save the day
Mighty Coach "V" is on the way".

Dec 12, 2018, 8:53 AM

Yep, a lot of "Chicken Littles" on here. Don't worry be happy! Ending with the famous line of Scarlett O'Hara, "After all, tomorrow is another day"!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2018, 9:16 AM

Now this is funny. Clelin is projected top 10. Dexter is projected top 10. Christian is projected first round. Austin will be 2nd or 3rd. Watkins was a 4th rounder. Clemson isn’t returning those guys. XT will be really good, and can replace Clelin. Foster, Pinckney, and Williams are not as good as Dex, Christian, and Austin. KJ Henry has enormous upside and should take the next step in his development.

The defense will be fine next year, but there will be a regression if many of the juniors decide to go pro. Not sure how this is a shocking thing to say.

I think the only question about the defense is whether

Dec 12, 2018, 9:32 AM

or not we will be able to stop the run at an elite level. We've had a tremendous run of DTs over the last 5 years and i think we will see the level of DT play fall off a bit next year.

Re: I think the only question about the defense is whether

Dec 12, 2018, 10:37 AM

Don't sleep on Nyles and Jordan .

DB23

Dec 12, 2018, 10:21 AM

Wish Huggins had redshirted one year. Would be good to have him back, and he could have stood out a little more and improved draft status.

Replies: 12
| visibility 5,077
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic