Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If the XFL would recruit high school kids
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 101

If the XFL would recruit high school kids

Feb 9, 2020, 6:13 AM

then kids that don't want to go to college and want to earn a paycheck in stead would have a way to do that. Forcing kids to go to college to play football is not right. Paying college students like professionals is not right either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the XFL would recruit high school kids

Feb 9, 2020, 6:16 AM

Sucks that they would give up a chance of getting a college degree. Very few of those players would ever make the NFL. I agree though that it is their choice. On the other hand, some players that couldnt get into college due to grades could still play football past HS.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2020, 8:02 AM

The NFL would (quickly?) step in to either support the NCAA to maintain their current business model if the XFL were to become a ‘threat’; or they would ditch the NCAA and crush the XFL with ‘capitalism’.

If the latter occurs, look for the political SJWs to move in to fix it for We, The People. There’s an EPA; an FTC; and the Department of Defense. Why not a Department of Football? Who wouldn’t want to be that Cabinet Head?

I just hope this doesn’t all come crashing down before Dabo has had a chance to put Clemson (at least second) behind only Bama with at least a dozen (or more) National Championships. . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

If all that happens I think it might help Clemson

Feb 9, 2020, 9:14 AM

It would hurt the football factories in the SEC. Most of Clemson’s recruits understand importance of a college degree.

Feb 9, 2020, 8:04 AM

No one is "forced" to go to college to play football. There's 900+ semi-pro football teams in the US. The NCAA is not the only game in town.

Also, never forget, it's not the NCAA that "prevents" kids from playing in the NFL until after their junior year (or the NBA until after their freshman year). It's the NFL and NBA collective bargaining agreements, where the player's unions and owners have decided that age limits are needed.

But you're 100% right. The XFL doesn't have same age limits that the NFL has, so players who do not want to play in college under the NCAA rules, can tryout for XFL teams. The average XFL player's salary is $55,000 which includes the base pay along with a bonus for being active during each game, per Pro Football Talk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You might be able to go from XFL to NFL, but nobody

Feb 9, 2020, 8:06 AM

has ever gone from semi-pro to the NFL (maybe but certainly not many)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You might be able to go from XFL to NFL, but nobody

Feb 9, 2020, 8:25 AM

That's the breaks then. The NBA and NFL have made their rules regarding age limits.

The NCAA has made their rules regarding scholarships.

No one is forced to play college football or basketball, anymore than anyone is forced to play college lacrosse or hockey or volleyball or soccer or softball or track&field or water polo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and it would be awesome for those that don't want

Feb 9, 2020, 9:06 AM

to go to college to have another option other than playing semi-pro ball for free.

Re: and it would be awesome for those that don't want

Feb 9, 2020, 9:19 AM

I agree, and now they might be able to play in the XFL, as long as it lasts. And they should run to cash that $55K paycheck.

There are a lot of college graduates that make less than 55k

Feb 9, 2020, 9:54 AM

right out of college. Very few high school graduates make 55k a year starting out. The XFL would pay a lot more for a 5 star player.

Re: You might be able to go from XFL to NFL, but nobody

Feb 9, 2020, 9:52 AM [ in reply to You might be able to go from XFL to NFL, but nobody ]

Depends on what you consider semi-pro. Most semi-pro leagues have been so inferior that there was little way to evaluate someone's talent. The CFL has probably been the biggest exporter of talent over the years to the NFL. I can think of at least one Hall of Famer, Warren Moon, that came from their ranks. Granted there has not been a steady stream, but there has been more than a few.

Feb 9, 2020, 8:12 AM

I think you're way underestimating the potential talent level that's already available for the XFL. Think of all the excellent college players that don't make NFL rosters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2020, 9:01 AM

Agreed. Plus, as starved for football as we are, I’d welcome a spring football league. I think had the USFL stayed with that model the league would’ve survived

We have 5 or 6 recruits this year that could

Feb 9, 2020, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Re: If the XFL would recruit high school kids ]

easily make an XFL roster.

Re: We have 5 or 6 recruits this year that could

Feb 9, 2020, 9:20 AM

I think they understand how important the college degree is and most would have to clemson anyway. That is why we chose to offer them and they chose to come to clemson education matter to them also.

Feb 9, 2020, 9:21 AM

I totally get it. Can't force a kid to go to college but you can certainty encourage them to with the current rules. Disagree with your proposal and think it would ruin college football.

Think not, just look how screwed up college baseball is... And that's what it would turn in to. Nothing more than a farm league. Goes against everything Dabo preaches. I support his stance way more than propping up an alternate league.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2020, 9:32 AM

Exactly. I like the way things are now.

soon boosters will be about to pay player for their

Feb 9, 2020, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: If the XFL would recruit high school kids ]

name and likeness. 50 grand for an autograph...

umm no

Feb 9, 2020, 10:00 AM

most of those players in the XFL were D1 players who had access to top tier strength and conditioning. they would annihilate a 17-18 year old kid. those kids NEED college football, just as much as the schools need them

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic