Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If UGA is really the #5 team in the country...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

If UGA is really the #5 team in the country...

Jan 2, 2020, 1:34 PM

...then it distinctly struck me that the gap between #5 and the playoff teams is quite large. And other than Clemson - which is actually a fairly young team in 2019-2020 - the top looks poised for a big quality reduction in 2020.

First off: the Dawgs. Jake Fromm is a good QB, not a great one. And he's almost certainly leaving for the NFL. De'Andre Swift is a great RB (though he did not play but two plays against Baylor)...but he's definitely leaving as well. George Pickens is a potentially great WR, and he's a freshman, so they do at least get to keep him. So they have one good target.

After that, it looks bad and worse for UGA next year. Behind Fromm is a former walk-on who walked off to JUCO and then walked back on (odd!), a redshirting freshman who was a low-end 4-star per Rivals.com, and another incoming 4-star freshman who isn't even on campus yet...and that's it. It wouldn't shock me in the slightest if UGA put a full-court press on Chase Brice once he graduates; they desperately could use a veteran QB and Chase is a Georgia kid. Behind Swift is Zeus White, that former 5-star almost-a-Tiger who is now playing on two reconstructed knees after back-to-back ACL tears; he looks solid but he is not Swift and his injury history is worrisome.

The Dawgs still manhandled alleged #7 Baylor, even missing twelve players due to injury, "undisclosed" suspension (meaning, drugs, way to be up front about it, Kirby), and guys full of Fighting Dawg team spirit who decided sitting out a New Years Six bowl was okay because they were headed for the NFL. So Baylor - no surprise - was a fraud, which anybody who watched LSU chase Oklahoma (who beat Baylor twice!) right back out of the Peach Bowl could have told you. Talk smack about the ACC all you want, the Big 12 is a truly dire level of bad right now.

What about Pac 12 champs, #6 Oregon? Well, the Ducks won the Rose Bowl (against solid but perennially unspectacular Wisconsin, also no threat for a Natty)...and now lose Justin Herbert. They won't be better next year. Speaking of losing elite QB's, LSU certainly won't be better without Joe Burrow or his leading target Justin Jefferson (also almost certainly gone!); that particular Cinderella is about due to turn back into a pumpkin...like, the day after January 13th.

OSU keeps Justin Fields and will probably remain atop the B1G - who is left to challenge them, Michigan? - but they're losing a raftload of really good future 1st-round players as well as their passing-game coordinator and DC. The Buckeyes won't be better in 2020 either.

Other than Alabama - who will probably reclaim the SEC next year though they won't be better when Tua and that fleet of WR's depart either - who is left to challenge us?

Auburn...maybe?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the gap between #5 and #3 is quite large.

Jan 2, 2020, 1:38 PM

Oklahoma made the playoffs by default, but I don't think there was a gap between OU and UGA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I think the gap between #5 and #3 is quite large.

Jan 2, 2020, 1:47 PM

GWPTiger® said:

Oklahoma made the playoffs by default, but I don't think there was a gap between OU and UGA.

I agree. I probably should have phrased it: "the gap between the top three playoff teams is quite large", because Oklahoma certainly didn't look anything resembling legit.

Unless another LSU-type Cinderella catches lightning in a bottle again in 2020, though, the field looks down, though...like, way down. If we can beat LSU - which I think most rational folks know is going to be anything but easy, there in the Big Easy - then we could conceivably aspire to three in a row, at least if Trevor stays healthy.

Re: I think the gap between #5 and #3 is quite large.

Jan 2, 2020, 2:24 PM [ in reply to I think the gap between #5 and #3 is quite large. ]

If both teams are full strength, I think UGA hammers OU, although kirby’s ####### would keep the score closer than it should be.

UGA has recruited so well that I’m sure that they’ll be in the mix for 2020, but their QB situation is rough. I like Chase, but I haven’t seen anything that makes me think he is national championship caliber at this point, but he may not have to be great surrounded by all the 5 stars with a great OL. Maybe King from Houston steps in and is the next transfer phenom? Pickens looks to be a stud.

Going to Alabama makes for a tougher slate this year and Florida should be better. I personally detest UGA and hope the wheels come off.

Thinking the drop off is huge between 3 and 4

Jan 2, 2020, 1:39 PM

I actually think Bama is better than the teams in front of them and arguably top 4...but they have the 2 losses.

I’d give a nod to Oregon too

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If UGA is really the #5 team in the country...

Jan 2, 2020, 1:43 PM

Don't kid yourself. These programs have all recruited well and have new stars ready to step in. Clemson stands to lose some big time studs this year too, especially if some of the juniors like ETN and Tee leave. But like all top programs, we have recruited well to fill the void. Next year, Clemson will be battling out with the same programs yet again for a chance at the top 4.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2020, 2:05 PM

Don't kid yourself. These programs have all recruited well and have new stars ready to step in. Clemson stands to lose some big time studs this year too, especially if some of the juniors like ETN and Tee leave. But like all top programs, we have recruited well to fill the void. Next year, Clemson will be battling out with the same programs yet again for a chance at the top 4.

Yes, all those teams have recruited well...but they do not have ready-made stars ready to step in seamlessly; that's exactly the point I was making. UGA assuredly does not, at QB or RB. LSU hasn't recruited a ton of great QB's (two pretty "meh"-looking 3-star guys and one low-end 4-stars for 2019 and 2020) and they certainly aren't going to just find another Joe Burrow falling through the Portal, and Justin Hebert was the best QB Oregon has had since Marcus Mariota. Alabama has Matt Jones - who throws well but is largely immobile - and Little Tua...who has been completely unable to budge Jones from the #2 spot, and who folks close to Alabama say is distinctly Not Tua anyhow. The Tide do have a nice-looking dual-threat kid (5-star Bryce Young) coming in from California but he'll need to be another Tua if he's to win the job in 2020, and he's small (6'0", 180, and looks it, Tua came in at 220.) Oklahoma can probably replace Jalen Hurts with Spencer Rattler - he's a truly big-time former 5-star QB who looks out-of-the-box ready - but how good is Oklahoma really, anyhow?

OSU will probably remain a superpower because they've recruited so well, but you don't lose your entire WR corps, your entire interior OL full of future-NFL studs, the #2 RB in program history, your elite pass-rusher in Chase Young, and at least two-potential first-rounders at CB and be a better team the next year. OSU was having a peak year; that was the best OSU team most observers had ever seen...and we still beat it. Look at NFL prospect draft lists...it's insane how much more talent the Buckeyes are losing compared to well, us.

As for LSU, Joe Burrow was a truly special guy and they don't have an obvious answer in the pipe.

Jan 2, 2020, 1:55 PM

I'm not sure if they're #5 or not, but I do think there's a large gap between the top 3 teams this year(Clemson, LSU, Ohio State) and everyone else. I think after that you could rank any of the remaining top 10 teams anywhere you'd like and it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference. I think any of those teams ranked 4-10 and probably even a few teams beyond that could beat each other.

Jan 2, 2020, 1:58 PM

Q' you are stating the exact thing I told the group watching at my house the other night. Of the top 4 everyone will be worse next season except CLEMSON. Who knows what Tee is going to do, both he and his mom have stated he isn't leaving until he gets his degree, that will be December. ETN being the projected #3 RB taken(which is stupid) has a decision to make. The offense will take 3 or 4 games to get the Oline comfortable, but only ND stands in the way and that won't be close, the defense will again be one of if not the best in the country. Then of course #16 will be bigger, stronger and faster with another year under his belt, that alone is scary! The WR's are loaded, the RB's are loaded(if you haven't watched Bowman do yourself a favor and watch some of his games not just the highlights)!

Oklahoma worse, Alabama worse, LSU worse, Georgia well Kirby is there so worse, 0310 St is losing alot but recruits super but the loss of coaches will hurt more. Everyone else is on the outside looking in.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2020, 2:06 PM

ETN is the #3 running back on the board, but I saw a mock yesterday that had him going to Kansas City near the end of the 1st round. There's certainly no guarantee that he'd end up there, but they do need a running back, and there'd probably be no better situation for him to start off in.

With a healthy Tua

Jan 2, 2020, 2:02 PM

Alabama is a clear and concise #4. They lost 2 games because he was either hurt or absent.

The drop off from Alabama to everyone else is pretty big.

Everyone, even the most ardent haters knows Bama was one

Jan 2, 2020, 2:11 PM

of the 4 best. It’s just that nobody wanted them in

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2020, 2:31 PM

Most of the sources around Alabama are saying Tua is planning to return along with most of the juniors who are eligible. Assuming 'most' excludes Najee Harris, Jerry Judy, and Xavier McKinney they will only loose 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 OL, 1 DL, and 2 DBs. If Tua returns they could be the the favorite to win it all again depending on what happens in our game. Ohio State on the other hand looses a lot of talent. At least 13 starters 7 defensive /6 offensive starters, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Wisconsin win their conference with only two departures on defense, but I doubt their offense can win them a playoff game. I don't trust anyone out of the Pac 12 or Big 12 enough but they will probably fight for that 4th playoff spot with a less than stellar SEC East team So looks like we are back to a true two team juggernaut race again next year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2020, 2:37 PM

I wouldn’t speak too highly of Auburn either. No Nix looks okay. I don’t know why everyone was on his jock this year. He piled up stats against crappy teams. I would say the playoffs will probably be Clemson, Bama (depending on the QB situation), Ohio State, and maybe Oregon if they can get one of the better QBs out of the transfer portal.

Jan 2, 2020, 2:46 PM

Auburn is in for a rough 2020. They loose 4 starters on the offensive line, their top 2 TEs, their RB, and two WRs from an offense that was not very good (64th). On defense, they loose 3 DB's and their and top 2 D-Line. UNC should be able to get the win week 2 and start up the Fire Gus bandwagon all over again.

Dunno.. final rankings haven't come out yet

Jan 2, 2020, 2:50 PM

Uga will likely be #4... I dont see them dropping below 5.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Jan 2, 2020, 3:07 PM

Quite frankly, this is sort of a rebuilding year for us this year. You don't just replace arguably the best defensive front in college football history without some sort of affect. Because of Venables and some excellent players stepping up we have been able to maintain, and in some ways surpass, our defensive presence. When you look at all of our "parts" in our back seven, I think you can conclude that playing as a team is more important than outstanding individuals that do not play as a unit. We have very talented LB's and DB's, but maybe not the very elite individuals that some teams do. Given the choice, I'll take the teamwork approach. I remember when a Houston Texan coach was talking about coot Swearinger, saying his big hits are fine, but he had rather have him be in the right place on every play.

The only thing that has held Georgia in the conversation this year is their offensive and defensive lines. Both are good and quite frankly they look like a 8-4 type team without them. I don't see them getting a lot better in the next couple of year. Baylor, is a mediocre team and pretty reflective of the Big 12's 1-5 record in the bowl games. LSU always has a lot of studs and skill players, but the huge turnaround with Barrow has gotten them to where they are now. He was average the past couple of years, although he has always been tough. I too look for Bama to get back on top, but I really like our chances with some of our D linemen coming in, as well as our new QB and skill players.

If this is indeed a "rebuilding" year, I look forward to the next decade!

Jan 2, 2020, 4:04 PM

Great post but one disagreement, the gap between 3 and up is where the grand canyon starts. I gave OU the benefit of the doubt until baylor got beat by an awful, offensively, uga team. It's the first three, a coupe miles, then the next Roy bus.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2020, 6:22 PM

This is a great thread with lots of folks contributing solid points. Thanks for kicking it off, Q.

If we can find a way to win (and I think we can and will) on Jan 13th, then Trevor goes 45-0 and Clemson Drives the ROY bus with Bama in the sidecar.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic