Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If ND loses there will be 2 SEC teams in CFP
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

If ND loses there will be 2 SEC teams in CFP

Oct 29, 2018, 1:07 PM

That is the way I see it.
I'm pulling ND.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If ND loses there will be 2 SEC teams in CFP

Oct 29, 2018, 1:10 PM

I don't give a #### if there are 3 SEC teams in the playoff as long as we are the other team. I like our chances against anybody. However, I feel like ND will #### the bed really soon. Just got a feeling.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i can't shake the feeling that fsu

Oct 29, 2018, 4:41 PM

is gonna do Notre Dame in. It's an away game, which might actually help them. They'll probably be relying on a silent count which, ironically, may help them with the o-line issues. Francois is pretty much due for an out of his mind qb performance this year.

Need 2 of 3 of Oklahoma, Michigan, and ND to win out.

Oct 29, 2018, 1:11 PM

To avoid the possibility of 2 SEC teams.

Re: Need 2 of 3 of Oklahoma, Michigan, and ND to win out.

Oct 29, 2018, 1:19 PM

I think If Bama wins out very slim chance 2 sec teams get in.

Right Now
1 Bama
2 Cu
3 ND
4 Ok, or Winner of OSU and Michigan. If none of those 3 get beat again.

The only way I see two SEC teams in it is bama gets beat.

1 Cu
2 ND
3 Lsu or GA
4 Bama

All this changes if ND gets beat or if Uga gets beat by Kentucky and then wins the sec who knows what happens at that time, I wish they would put UCF in it just for the heck of it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope won't happen.***

Oct 29, 2018, 1:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 1:20 PM

I'm not!
Why should they get a free pass?
You should have to play for a conference championship,

P.S. I know what happened last year, but it shouldn't have.
The CFP system needs to be done over so that teams that don't at least play in a conference championship game don't get in.
I would have had no problem if Bama had gone thru the regular season undefeated and then lost in the SECCG and gone with one loss.
But Notre Dame doesn't have to even play in it.

Maybe but it could also be something like this

Oct 29, 2018, 1:22 PM

Bama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Mich/OSU

If Bama wins out LSU and Georgia dont have incredible resumes.

I hope not...actually wish there was a way that no

Oct 29, 2018, 1:23 PM

SEC teams make it; but I don't see it.

The only way I see 2 SEC teams in the CFP is if Bama loses to a 1 loss UGAy team in the SEC championship, and/or ND loses, and PAC 12, Big 12 and Big 10 champs have 2 losses. I don't think the committee will put a (1) loss SEC non champ in before a 1 loss Power 5 conference champion.

If WSU, Michigan or OSU, Oklahoma wins out their conferences will have a fit if they are left out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd rather Bama win out at this point

Oct 29, 2018, 1:25 PM

Even if they lose at LSU, they'll only fall to 5 or 6 and be right back in the playoff at the 3 or 4 spot when it's all said and done so losing does nothing to them. I at least want them to play in the SEC title game this year. If Bama, us and ND win out it'll be 1. Bama, 2. or 3. Clemson & ND. I'd love to destroy ND in the Orange Bowl and face Bama in the natty. Bama would likely have to play Oklahoma or winner of Michigan/Ohio State in their playoff game.

don't be so sure. if Alabama loses to LSU,

Oct 29, 2018, 4:45 PM

LSU would have the inside track for their side of the championship game. Alabama, strangely, could find itself outside looking in.

No two loss $-EZ team is getting in...

Oct 29, 2018, 1:25 PM

LSU and UGa will both have two losses (at least).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

ND is one of my top five most hated teams.

Oct 29, 2018, 1:32 PM

I'd rather have a PO with four sec teams than have ND included. Most Clemson fans didn't live through the days of ND's religious recruiting. Ever parish across the country was a recruiting outlet for ND. They insisted that [laying at ND was a stairway to heaven even while Catholic priest were on a rape rampage against our youth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 1:44 PM

2 SEC teams will not get because none of them are gonna beat Alabama which will leave all the other SEC teams with 2 or more losses.

Re: Exactly

Oct 29, 2018, 1:51 PM

Bama runs table ... so that means LSU loses... 2 losses, then Bama beats UGA in SEC championship game.... UGA 2 losses.

That's how it's likely going to play out.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if the choice is between a 2-loss Georgia...

Oct 29, 2018, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Re: If ND loses there will be 2 SEC teams in CFP ]

or a 2-loss Michigan, or 2-loss Oklahoma? They will take the conference champion? I think Georgia would have at least a shot. It would be a debate.

A 2 loss champion gets in over a 2 loss non champion every

Oct 29, 2018, 4:46 PM

time

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why?***

Oct 29, 2018, 5:07 PM [ in reply to What if the choice is between a 2-loss Georgia... ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: If ND loses there will be 2 SEC teams in CFP ]

If the CFP selection committee truly got their act together then the playoff would involve the conference champions from the five power conferences and the team with the best record otherwise in a six team playoff with teams one and two getting a bye having earned it. FCS has sixteen teams in their playoff and it works well so there is absolutely no reason why a six team CFP would not succeed. At the moment Alabama and Clemson are heads above everybody else, and ND needs to be in a conference to compete, especially when different conferences have previously been left out to this point. Make ND a sixth choice outside of the five major conferences. Under no circumstances should two teams from one conference get selected unless their record reflects that they are clearly better than any other potential team by a wide margin.

Just my two cents worth.

Go Tigers!

Oct 29, 2018, 4:22 PM

I think they are under contract to have a 4 team playoff for several more years.

I used to be a proponent of the 6 team playoff, but after Bama effectively got a bye in conference championship weekend last year, I've changed my mind. If the top two teams are head and shoulders above the other teams then I understand why they would deserve a bye, but what about a situation like 2016 when we were the 3 seed instead of the 2 seed? There would be too much controversy about which teams deserve the bye if the top two teams aren't head and shoulders above the other teams.

I also don't think conferences should get automatic bids if there were a 3 loss conference champion getting in over a 1 loss conference runner up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2018, 1:50 PM

A 2 loss SEC team won't get in over a 1 loss Oklahoma or a 1 loss OSU/Michigan. Michigan's playing significantly better than when they lost to ND and LSU doesn't have the offense to make it in the playoffs. UGA will have to play Bama if LSU wins this week and UGA wins out giving them a minimum of 2 losses granted UK could win the SEC East this weekend and then play Bama instead. either way a 1 loss power 5 is getting in over a 2 loss SEC team without a conference champion. If you consider a 2 loss non conference champion why wouldn't you consider ND as they're a 1 loss non conference champion.

Oct 29, 2018, 2:01 PM

SethSlyy said:

UGA will have to play Bama if LSU wins this week and UGA wins out giving them a minimum of 2 losses granted UK could win the SEC East this weekend and then play Bama instead.

How does UGA play Bama if LSU wins this week (assuming all three win out)?

Wouldn't UGA have to play LSU due to head-to-head of Bama/LSU?

Oct 29, 2018, 2:04 PM

Hmm good point I didn't think of that, granted LSU would still need to get through A&M. But in that case would you still put in a 1 loss non conference champion over a 1 loss conference champion especially given that Alabama has played absolutely nobody almost? (Although they've also made them look like absolutely nobody too for that matter)

Oct 29, 2018, 2:24 PM

If it were up to me, I would never put a 1 loss non conference champion over a 1 loss conference champion. Games and championships played/won have to mean something, otherwise we are treading dangerous waters in setting precedents (back to BCS where voters have more sway than results on the field). I know last year Bama got in when technically they shouldn't have, same as O-31-U the year before. But, it's not up to me so I digress.

Here's a hypothetical, see what you think...

Oct 29, 2018, 2:31 PM

What if a 1-loss conference champion, had played and lost to a 1-loss non-conference champion? Like say Georgia smashed Michigan in the season opener, then Michigan won out and won the Big Ten, while Georgia lost to Alabama in the SECCG. Would you put Michigan in over Georgia, even though head-to-head Georgia smoked them?

(Just a hypothetical)

Re: Here's a hypothetical, see what you think...

Oct 29, 2018, 2:43 PM

Yes, in that scenario my opinion is that Michigan would get to the CFP while UGA gets left out.

I believe the precedent has (unfortunately) already been set the past couple of years for non conference champions to get in the playoff. This is why there is so much debate and talk of expanding the playoffs already. I could be in favor of expanding it, only if it is truly limited to the five P5 champions plus 3 at-large.

That's all in the eye of the beholder

Oct 29, 2018, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Here's a hypothetical, see what you think... ]

Head to head doesn't mean much from a predictive point of view. Team A beating Team B in 1 game of football does not mean Team A is better. Just think about how many times in pro baseball or basketball where we've seen a team win game 1 of a series and then lose the next 4.

Conference titles don't really mean anything either unless people want them to mean something. Beating a quality opponent in a conference championship game means something, but the conference title itself holds absolutely no predictive value.

So it all depends on how you want to assign value. I prefer to look at the entire season and try to avoid focusing too narrowly on 1 thing. Like if ND loses a game and finishes 11-1 and Michigan wins out to win the Big Ten at 12-1 I'm certainly not focusing on the head to head victory for ND. I'm putting Michigan ahead of them without hesitation because their overall resume would be much stronger (and would still be without the "conference champion" tag).

Re: That's all in the eye of the beholder

Oct 29, 2018, 3:22 PM

Good points to think about and discuss.

I believe conference title should mean something. Otherwise, why play them? To me, they should be considered the first round of the playoffs. This gives more meaning to the games played making the whole season in effect a playoff. Win the regular season "playoff" get to your conference championship game, win that and move on to the CFP.

This really shouldn't be difficult. What makes it difficult are all the talking heads and early polls that drive the debates.

Well they play them for money. lol***

Oct 29, 2018, 5:18 PM

yes, Conference Champ in over non conference champ with same

Oct 29, 2018, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Here's a hypothetical, see what you think... ]

record

Oct 29, 2018, 1:54 PM

Only if Bama loses to LSU and again avoids SEC championship game. Then it could again be Bama and SEC champ. Then Tigers could get #4 Bama again. Prefer Bama in natl championship when Saban has less Tiger study time.

Nope figure UGA and LSU to have two or more

Oct 29, 2018, 3:18 PM

losses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not enough to make me pull for ND

Oct 29, 2018, 3:29 PM

I would say nothing about ND makes me give one flying fig about them, but Tim Bourret came from there. So there's one, and only one, thing I like.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Oct 29, 2018, 4:33 PM

Not me, I'm looking forward to Syracuse boat racing them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope, no non conference winner is getting in with 2 losses

Oct 29, 2018, 4:59 PM

and no Conference Championship game loser is backing in either

I thought ND would lose before now. It appears Kelly

Oct 29, 2018, 6:08 PM

may have actually conquered his inner Bowden this season. Hope so, I would love for us to see them in the Semis.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic