Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson OL had 4 percent sack rate
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Clemson OL had 4 percent sack rate

Jan 24, 2021, 1:01 PM

https://twitter.com/PickSixPreviews/status/1353396077752442880

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson OL had 4 percent sack rate

Jan 24, 2021, 1:31 PM

More indicative of Trevor's exceptional ability v pressure, imo.

Our OL was bad, no other way around it. We had an electric 4th year back coupled with the threat of Trevor's arm and couldn't establish a reliable rushing attack.

Jan 24, 2021, 2:35 PM

Close to meaningless. ACC defenses are Ivy League caliber, and TL16 is the #1 pick with the quickest release for a reason.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2021, 2:36 PM

Our OL was ‘good’ with pass protection, adequate for TL in most situations.
UNFORTUNATELY, not good ?? with run blocking. It showed with a lack of holes for ETN and TL on running plays.
TOP (Big) Defensive Lines (ND, OSU....) gave us trouble, with the run game, and the Defenses could ‘tee-off’ on our passing game. The Offensive Line WILL be better in 2021, hopefully dominant! Improved players, new recruits and maybe even a quality transfer.
Dabo knows an improved OL improves our offense and our defense!!
Go Tigers ??, Beat Georgia!!

Jan 24, 2021, 2:39 PM

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but why do you think oline will be much improved? I’ve seen many people say this.
I can’t see how Carman leaving helps. Is there a talent upgrade that makes them better? Just kicking this one around for thoughts.

Message was edited by: B9TIGER®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes there's likely to be a talent upgrade.

Jan 24, 2021, 2:50 PM

We signed good OL classes in 2019 and 2020 but those guys were all 1st and 2nd year players last year. Talent and depth should both be better in 2021, and by 2022 we *should* be very good on OL. If not we will know we have coaching deficiencies.

Re: Yes there's likely to be a talent upgrade.

Jan 24, 2021, 3:12 PM

I hope you are correct. Having Travis and not having a run game was quite hard to watch.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes there's likely to be a talent upgrade.

Jan 24, 2021, 11:57 PM

Can't believe Tony E didn't have more play action for run game if the OL was so weak. Why didn't we have roll-out plays that looked to be passes but ended up an option pitch to move ETN out of the box and to keep LBs and Safeties committed to pass. Why not swing passes if the box was crowded. This year I was the most frustrated ever with the lack of ingenuity in playcalling. I didn't want to blame TE, but we were missing JScott and some originality.

I know not everyone will agree but I think we need more originality in offensive scheme. I think Chad had too much window dressing and TE had gone way too vanilla. I think TE had had the benefit of too many great players at QB, good RBs, awesome possession WRs like Renfrow, then you studs like Ross that pull in 1-handed catches. But then when talent gets similar we struggle and lose. U think our coaching, the talent, the buying the Orange Kool-aid, all makes for great competitors but if the playcalling is vanilla and unoriginal then we cant maintain competitive edge.

When I watched 2019 and 2020 Championships, I felt like the offensive playcalling was on another level. Their play looked smooth, players were being hit in stride, RBs were given options to bounce the run. This last half year, ETN would run up middle 3-5 times and get stopped. Then Elliot would abandon the run unless inside the 10yd line.

This has always been a gripe for me, soon as someone says you didn't run the ball, his remark is that they crowded the box. When is last time you heard Saban say that? When has any coach said that except for Elliot. I think his engineering mentality gets him in trouble and he starts calculating change instead of forcing the issue. Too many times like Pitt or Cuse have caused Elliot to abandon the run when we should have forced our will after a few series. He abandons plays too easily. I don't think he us a super star OC, I think he is really good but not super star. I bet we would have had better stats with Sark or J Brady in the last couple years. I think we missed JScott more than we realize.

If Mitch Hyatt wasn't a wakeup call about our OL coaching I

Jan 24, 2021, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Yes there's likely to be a talent upgrade. ]

doubt anything else will be

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Mitch Hyatt wasn't a wakeup call about our OL coaching I

Jan 25, 2021, 9:37 AM

shack,

You MAY be right but I have seen more than one talented young player rely on their talent alone and NOT have the drive to get stronger and better. Perhaps Mitch was one of those guys ??

You ever hear ANYBODY on staff EVER say anything negative

Jan 25, 2021, 3:05 PM

about ANY aspect of his tenure here? I sure didn't...All I remember is gushing over his leadership and ability...They fact that you attempt to shade Hyatt tells me ALL I need to know

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

B9 Tiger unfortunately has a good point

Jan 24, 2021, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson OL had 4 percent sack rate ]

Coach Swinney has overhaul work to do with returning starters, and J. Carman was top OL in 2020 even with penalties and inconsistency.

I've read W. Putnam will move from guard to center. And that W. Parks has edge to start at LT. J. McFadden rated reasonably well at RT in 2020. IMHO he or highly-rated young RT backup M. Mayes could move inside and help at guard. Especially if true frosh T. Leigh is ready to help out with some heavy rotation at RT.

Hopefully younger OL incl. Tchio, Mayes, Johnson, Trotter and Rayburn can step up their game & strength and bring more speed and run blocking to OL in 2021. Putnam at C, Mayes and McFadden at G's, and Parks and Leigh at T's could be a good upgrade by mid-year. The coaches will figure it out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: B9 Tiger unfortunately has a good point

Jan 24, 2021, 4:51 PM

"Mid year Parks & Leigh as the 1st string tackles" would be ideal. I wonder if JM has the strength to play G(undersized at both T & G pos.; I doubt Mayes would be ready to start at G (unless he's reshaped body>shed fat & then added muscle) doubt he's ever a starting tackle(i know they gottem there now but that's oon. Maybe PC at starting G.

Jan 24, 2021, 3:09 PM

How many yards rushing did we have? Winning championships is about more than passing.

Jan 25, 2021, 9:43 AM

I would remind everyone here that the Tigers had the 10th ranked offense in the country with 150 yards rushing and 44.5 points per game. I don't think that suggests any major overhauls. (Have we really that jaded ? - We sound like Bama fans)

I WILL agree that we have been outclassed by some top 5 competition lately and we need to raise our standards to deal with that, but some of the expectations around here have gotten detached from the reality of college football.

Why would our guys sack their own QB?***

Jan 24, 2021, 9:25 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic