Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If I'm the SEC, I go ahead and invite 2 of these teams...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

If I'm the SEC, I go ahead and invite 2 of these teams...

May 20, 2012, 5:14 PM

Clemson, FSU, or VT.

I would then rule southern football while everyone else scrambles and tries to piece something together.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

VT....

May 20, 2012, 5:16 PM

Is the only one that adds a TV market. According to ESPN.

My theory on TV is that viewers are more important.

May 20, 2012, 5:18 PM

And by gaining the entire bread and butter of Southern Football, nobody will give a #### about watching anyone else.

Re: SEC does not want those three--for more reasons than

May 20, 2012, 5:16 PM

one.

Re: If I'm the SEC, I go ahead and invite 2 of these teams...

May 20, 2012, 5:18 PM

VT yes, FSU maybe, Clemson no.

Honestly, I just don't see what Clemson adds to the SEC given its location in a small state where the league already has a presence. Florida, on the other hand, is a bigger state and FSU is a top 10 program with a much stronger TV brand. VT is easy because they offer a good football program and presence in new, meaningful TV markets.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What is so great about FSU?***

May 20, 2012, 5:20 PM

Is that a serious question?**

May 20, 2012, 5:21 PM

nm

The ACC has TV markets in Boston, New York, DC, Atlanta, and

May 20, 2012, 5:23 PM

Miami.

And who gives a crap... It's about match-ups.

Re: The ACC has TV markets in Boston, New York, DC, Atlanta, and

May 20, 2012, 5:25 PM

Sure, but none of the schools in those markets have strong, nationally followed football programs with rabid fan bases.

VT, on the other hand, has strong football, a big fan base, and offers the TV markets of No VA/DC. GT, Miami, BC, Maryland, and Syracuse cannot say the same.

Which is why the SEC should take VT, FSU, or Clemson

May 20, 2012, 5:26 PM

and call it a day.

Can't go wrong IMO.

By doing so, you block the chance of the Big 12 coming south

May 20, 2012, 5:28 PM

and competing against your TV markets. You block recruiting. You basically lock up your spot in southern college football.

You proactively make everyone else irrelevant and unable to compete.

Re: By doing so, you block the chance of the Big 12 coming south

May 20, 2012, 5:35 PM

The SEC won't go past 16, so one of those schools would still be available. Regardless of who it is, the Big 12 still has expansion options in the south - Clemson/VT, GT, Miami, etc.

Caddie, it's about money, not recruiting. The networks fund

May 20, 2012, 5:38 PM [ in reply to By doing so, you block the chance of the Big 12 coming south ]

these things. Besides, Texas and Oklahoma are the only recruiting powers out there. And Texas fills its roster with home-grown talent.

Let's say #5 FSU is playing #2 Bama in SEC while Big 12 has

May 20, 2012, 5:48 PM

#15 Texas playing at NC State.

Seems that more viewers nationwide would greatly trump the added viewers in a given market for the bigger match-up.

So it seems the SEC could create this perception that our games are better than your games.

It's like the current ACC when Miami and Boston College play. Miami is usually a solid top 25 school against a decent BC team. Those teams are located in HUGE markets. But those are perceived "football giants". Currently, SEC teams are.

So if the SEC added FSU, VT, or Clemson, then each week you would dominate EVERY TV MARKET because you would have national games. They already do this, but could even further than perception. They would also WEAKEN the perception of every other southern football school NOT in the SEC.

The problem is you are dealing in Hypotheticals. The

May 20, 2012, 6:01 PM

networks only care about the numbers and the culture behind those numbers. And they are the source of funding.

But Caddie, those are pro towns. VT and NC State are in

May 20, 2012, 5:36 PM [ in reply to The ACC has TV markets in Boston, New York, DC, Atlanta, and ]

college-oriented states. Plus they have good programs, especially VT.

Re: The U of Florida owns the state. FSU was a fairly

May 20, 2012, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Is that a serious question?** ]

good football team but few in Florida give a rip. UF, Miami, Central and S
Florida are eating into them.

You're underestimating Clemson's national brand.***

May 20, 2012, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Re: If I'm the SEC, I go ahead and invite 2 of these teams... ]

Re: You're underestimating Clemson's national brand.***

FSU has a national following from way back.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, they started admitting men in 1947!

May 20, 2012, 5:34 PM

Bowden didn't show up until '76 and they were irrelevant intil the late '80's Maybe that's way back to you, but not me! They had roughly the same run as Miami over a different period (~20 years). I tend to disagree with your statement.

Not too keen on football history, eh cockstripe?***

May 20, 2012, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Re: You're underestimating Clemson's national brand.*** ]

Re: Not too keen on football history, eh cockstripe?***

May 20, 2012, 5:45 PM

http://www.tomahawknation.com/2012/5/15/3021181/is-fsu-really-the-most-valuable-team-in-the-

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Way back, Central and South Florida did not matter.

May 20, 2012, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Re: You're underestimating Clemson's national brand.*** ]

They are on stage now.

You are spot on. Also, I'd add NC State if I was them. Then

May 20, 2012, 5:33 PM [ in reply to Re: If I'm the SEC, I go ahead and invite 2 of these teams... ]

they have a contiguous boundary throughout the southeast. They would be adding 17 million people to their footprint. I suspect that is Slive's game plan. Nothing genius about it; just common sense.

yup.***

I'm excited about the Big 12. Do we really care about the

May 20, 2012, 5:41 PM

SEC? Let them go. Our future is west of the Mississippi.

May 20, 2012, 6:55 PM

But your not the SEC!

May 20, 2012, 7:03 PM

The governor of VA does not want UVA and VT in separate conferences. I think they BOTH remain in the ACC even if invited elsewhere.

I basically said the same thing last week about the SEC needing to grab to remaining fb power teams in the southeast while they can. The Big 12 is making an incredible power play right now it looks like, and will grab all they can to become the other power conference.

May 20, 2012, 7:12 PM

I'm no insider, I have no sources other than what we in the SEC have been told for years and yes, I'm a Gamecock who was born and raised in Greenville until I moved to Columbia a few years ago. Here is what we are told, with a period at the end. Louisville, Memphis State, Middle Tennesse State or any other Tenn school for that matter, Georgia Tech, FSU or Clemson will NEVER be in the SEC. Why has been explained in detail by very knowledgable folks on this board, USC boards, Tenn boards etc etc. Now, never is a big word, so the truth is none of us ever really know. However, all the logic and hope will not get you there either. Clemson should've left the NC dominated ACC when we did, but they wanted to be the big football fish in a small football pond and they probably thought USC would become a FCS level program. God know, we tried to help that along. Had you done that however, you would probably be in the SEC right now. As a result of not doing it, you stand a chance of being left out and as many people on here point out, your "big" stadium, fan support etc mean precious little in this process. Where you are exactly correct is that Clemson, not that I care at all, stands a very good chance of finding out what it was like to be USC for alot of years. Out in the cold, buried in mediocrity...wow, you really do reap what you sow. You guys can flame away now about how much better you are than USC but that will not change the reality of the current circumstances. I am personally so tired of the BS that goes on between our two schools and our "fans" that I hope we go our separate ways and never play each other again.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic