Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I think Dabo would tell Elliott
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 4,763

I think Dabo would tell Elliott

Jan 24, 2021, 3:16 PM

If he wants a head coaching job he’d be hard pressed to find a better place. Yes the current state of affairs are bad right now. But historically Tennessee is an excellent program with great resources and has always recruited well. Even without McDonalds. Plus they are entitled to a top 25 ranking every year because you know SEC.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If Elliott wants to be a head coach, he'd be crazy

Jan 24, 2021, 3:28 PM

to turn down Tennessee. They just hired a very well respected AD and are trying to turn things around. They've got excellent support at a historically solid program.

Every program who fires their coach is in some sort of disarray, but UT seems better than most unless the NCAA is truly gonna come down hard...which it never really does.

Incredible opportunity in my opinion.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think Dabo would tell Elliott

Jan 24, 2021, 3:29 PM

At times, I'm not a fan of his play calling. Pretty vanilla overall and constant WR screens but you can't argue with his numbers. He is a good recruiter and is excellent with team chemistry. Should he leave, I hope they get an OC with imagination and movement on offense. End the end, I hope he stays a Tiger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2021, 3:35 PM

It will be Dabo and Streeter unfortunately.

Jan 24, 2021, 4:01 PM

Please elaborate on the “Dabo and Streeter unfortunately” comment.

Jan 24, 2021, 3:31 PM

Does Knoxville have a New Spring branch? That would drive the coots crazy if they suddenly opened one.

Jan 24, 2021, 3:32 PM

I hope Dabo tells him to get an eight year contract with a 100 per cent buyout guarantee. SEC fans aren’t very patient, and for the next several years that place will have the talent of a junior college.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2021, 3:33 PM

That maybe what he would tell him if he wanted him to leave, and I don't think that is the case. So if I'm Dabo, I tell TE that is the riskiest job that he could possibly take, and it is!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 9:31 AM

It has been 123 years since Phillip Fulmer coached a semi-respectable Tenn team. In those 12 years since, the Vols are 73 and 75. They have finished in the top 25 twice - both times 22nd under Butch Jones.

AND they have had 6 head coaches in those 12 years. The entire athletic dept. is a five alarm dumpster fire. The football team may NEVER regain national prominence. They definitely will NOT in the next 10 years.

DON'T DO IT TONY !!

Jan 25, 2021, 9:33 AM

12 years - not 123, sorry.

Jan 25, 2021, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: I think Dabo would tell Elliott ]

I've always assumed that Tennessee will eventually bounce back. Who knows how long that'll actually be, but they have huge fan support, and a lot of history on their side. Their run since Fulmer could be compared to our run after Danny Ford was let go. I don't exactly think our overall record was as bad as theirs has been, but just in terms of not competing for championships, and the overall fall.

I think it has to start at the top for them though. They need to hire a coach that will run a clean program, and give the coach time to do his thing. Clemson was very patient with Tommy Bowden, and actually were perhaps too patient with him. Clemson was again patient with Dabo over his first couple years as even Dabo himself thought he was going to be fired following his 2nd full season.

Obviously the key to success is more than just being patient, because you really need to hire the right guy as well, but hiring people and constantly giving them only 2 or 3 years is certainly not the answer.

Jan 25, 2021, 2:51 PM

Starting at the top is not the coach. It is the AD - AND the most powerful alumni. That is where Tenn has got their problems and those are the hardest kind to solve.

Jan 25, 2021, 10:01 AM

Just ran an internal investigation to find dirt on themselves to keep from paying a buyout.

That is all I need to know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 25, 2021, 10:08 AM

Just so we are clear...

Elliott would be hard pressed to find a better job than at a place that is actively trying to get put on NCAA probation so they don't have to pay a $12 million buyout?

Would he be hard pressed to find a better job than at a place that has lost around 15 players to the transfer portal in the month and a half since their last game?

Would he be hard pressed to find a job better than at a place where the biggest boosters are the same family that have run the Browns into the ground for years?

Honestly I have no idea why anyone with options would take the UT at the moment.

Now after somebody falls on the sword to get a few million dollars this go around and gets past the probation, maybe it will be a better fit for the new coach in 2025 or so.

Jan 25, 2021, 2:53 PM

Yeah, their problems are far more persistent than the players they have THIS year.

The problem with UT is not just the athletic department .

Jan 25, 2021, 10:23 AM

I think the AD was a good hire.....but many of the problems stem from outside the athletic department. I worry those outside factors and the fact that the fan base will only allow 3 years makes this a awful place to work. You have the NCAA looking at the program, you have many players going to the portal, many recruits wanting out, etc....what is this program going to be? Three years is not enough time to rebuild the mess at UT.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All good points, but they just reinforce the need to hire

Jan 26, 2021, 5:50 PM

someone with a great personal reputation from a "squeaky clean" program at the present time. Tony Elliot would surely fit that bill.

But, he would need to negotiate a contract that is ironclad through at least 5 years, and let the fanbase know in no uncertain terms that past messes are why it will take AT LEAST that long before a turnaround will really get off the ground. (That is if the toothless NCAA does come down on them like everyone seems to think they will. I am not convinced of this, because, SEC.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't want my first head coaching position to be.......

Jan 25, 2021, 10:45 AM

with the sanctions they are getting ready to be hit with. It's one thing to have a bowl ban but to have scholarships taken away is another level. You can be creative with scheduling if you can't go to a bowl and schedule Hawaii. If you don't have scholarships you are gonna get killed in the SEC. There is no way I would leave the offensive talent that Clemson has, the house he lives in, and the job TE has for Tennessee.

Replies: 17
| visibility 4,763
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic