Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Coach Brownell resigns? Who would want to replace him?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

If Coach Brownell resigns? Who would want to replace him?

Jan 24, 2019, 11:42 AM

While CCB isn't currently having the season anticipated, I do not see him either resigning or being fired by Drad. The team lacks a definite scorer and decent defense against outside the arc, but the NIT is at least still in view. Despite having recruited three solid guards, I don't see next season as anything beyond a total rebuild, unless there is something we don't know about the first year talent and redshirts. Brownell will likely find another graduate player to supplement, but if the team falls flat then I suspect Drad will ask Brownell to job hunt or be reassigned rather than being fired.

The question is - Who would want to follow the most successful Tiger BB coach percentage wise? Brownell only lacks seventeen wins to tie Cliff Ellis for all-time wins so why would he be dismissed after one lackluster season? Further who would want to follow him, especially in this situation? Tiger fans may feel he will never be successful on a consistent basis, but Brownell is finally getting facilities and a stable staff and therefore I give him two or more years to proof he can take the next step.

Once his contract is not renewed he won't have much choice but to move on or be fired. His buyout is also reduced. Frankly I think Clemson needs a fresh start like Amanda Butler has obviously brought to WBB, but Drad and the BOT have to make that decision at some point.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There seems to be hundreds of qualified coaches on

Jan 24, 2019, 11:44 AM

here during a game, why not one of the real experts?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

preferably one of the ones who claim they could do it for a

Jan 24, 2019, 11:45 AM

fraction of what Brad makes

Re: If Coach Brownell resigns? Who would want to replace him?

No idea who our options would be. I would just want some young protege who may even be an assistant now, but is known for his recruiting.

Like Larry Shyatt?***

Jan 24, 2019, 11:47 AM

Larry Shyatt is not a young protege, he's 67 years old***

Jan 24, 2019, 1:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

He wasn't 67 when we hired him***

Jan 24, 2019, 2:55 PM

Ok***

Jan 24, 2019, 2:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Same as usual.. take a chance on a young coach from a

smaller school and hope he pans out. Then hope we can actually keep him if he does.

that is the cycle***

Jan 24, 2019, 11:46 AM

Why on earth should we keep taking the same cheap approach we’ve almost always taken?

Jan 24, 2019, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Same as usual.. take a chance on a young coach from a ]

Why not actually hire a coach who has proven he can recruit and win on the major college level?

This idea that we’re undeserving of a great coach is part of the reason why our basketball history is as sad as it is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Find the top assistant coach in the country that is known 4

Jan 24, 2019, 11:52 AM

his elite ability to recruit (legally) and hire them... i posted this yesterday which is a good starting point (link ranks the top recruiters in the country.) Find the highest one that no one knows and snag em. ..

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeCoachRankings/

Jan 24, 2019, 12:10 PM

“One lackluster season”

Jan 24, 2019, 12:19 PM

I’ll take #54 Bill Self for $5 million. Maybe not cause he underbid on Zion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shaka might be available lol***

Jan 24, 2019, 1:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 24, 2019, 1:04 PM

There are plenty of good coaches that would do a good job.
One name I hope would come up is Earl Grant at CofCh. He has done a really good job there and Brad's staff has not been the same since he left with the exception of last year. His teams play really hard for him. He also lov3s Clemson and would probably be a destination job for him.

The obvious answer is coachmac, he'd never lose a game***

Jan 24, 2019, 1:10 PM

Re: The obvious answer is coachmac, he'd never lose a game***

Jan 24, 2019, 1:17 PM

his coaching philosophy does kind of align with our ability to recruit

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think his temperment during timeouts and crucial

Jan 24, 2019, 1:37 PM

in-game moments would be just what our players need.

I'm not sure he would be able to properly 'focus'.

Jan 24, 2019, 1:42 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

You guys talk recruiting,We WON'T be able

Jan 24, 2019, 1:13 PM

To recruit without cheating with Duke & NC doing it,Why do you think Rick Barnes left,We need someone to build 2 & 3 stars,

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell***

Jan 24, 2019, 1:13 PM

So if Brad Brownell resigns, you think Brad Brownell

Jan 24, 2019, 1:50 PM

would want to replace Brad Brownell?

Larry Shyatt?***

Jan 24, 2019, 1:52 PM

Actually saw him at DFW when we flew into Dallas...

Jan 24, 2019, 4:12 PM

before the Cotton Bowl.

That's when I remembered he's an assistant coach with the Dallas Mavericks now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jan 24, 2019, 1:56 PM

Someone with killer instinct, passion and a proven record. Maybe someone from Division II.

It Doesn't Matter

Jan 24, 2019, 3:03 PM

To win in men's college basketball you have to cheat and buy players. Clemson will not participate so it doesn't matter who the could is or would be.

Amanda Butler?***

Jan 24, 2019, 3:07 PM

Re: Amanda Butler?***

Jan 24, 2019, 4:14 PM

Good point!

Haha I like it!***

Jan 24, 2019, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Amanda Butler?*** ]

Haha I like it!***

Jan 24, 2019, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Amanda Butler?*** ]

Jan 24, 2019, 5:44 PM

Based on his history I would let Dabo make the hire. I truly feel he could pick the right person. I know it won't happen but am I wrong?

Jan 24, 2019, 6:08 PM

Coach K. If I could just pick anybody.

Jan 24, 2019, 11:09 PM

Dean Smith.

I know he's been out of it awhile, but I bet he
still has the fire to get it done

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic