Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for IPTAY donors
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Question for IPTAY donors

Jun 19, 2020, 6:40 AM

I know that NIL has been discussed frequently, but not sure if it had been discussed as to how it will affect donations. I'm almost certain it has and I missed it, so please excuse me for rehashing the topic.

If you are an IPTAY donor, will the NIL rule have any impact on your donations for the next IPTAY year that is set to begin in July? Will you give the same, more or less? Personally, I am on the fence about it.

The article on the front page only talks about the income generated by social media. It doesn't even begin to touch on other sources of revenue that will be generated due to the NIL rule. With student-athletes having the potential to be multi-millionaires in college, will they need our measly donations for scholarships?

My fear is that this will hurt the not so well known players the most, which is why I am on the fence.

https://www.tigernet.com/story/Endorsement-millionaire-as-college-player-Numbers-say-yes-for-Trevor-Lawrence-18852

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for IPTAY donors

Jun 19, 2020, 9:09 AM

My donation will stay the same because I like my seats. If IPTAY comes calling with a new more expensive seat equity plan, that will be a tough sell for me. If the athletes can make money on their own the fans deserve a break.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't argue with that.

Jun 19, 2020, 9:17 AM

My amount donated is to get the paring I want plus the seats. It almost seems like IPTAY will have to adopt an NFL style model for seating if the players are making bank. Not the truth of the matter is that only the elite players are going to make any money to speak of. The rank and file Gents will not be as lucky.

Go Tigers!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

IPTAY helps more than football

Jun 19, 2020, 9:48 AM

Probably our donation will stay the same whether we continue to buy tickets or not. Been a member over forty years and counting.

IPTAY DONORS

Jun 19, 2020, 12:45 PM

I don't expect NIL to have any measurable impact on donations to IPTAY which are made to support athletics at Clemson. Through the years there have been many huge changes in college athletics, scholarships and spending and IPTAY has continued to grow. I don't know why NIL would change anyone's mind on giving.

When IPTAY was formed, athletic scholarships were not permissible. Boosters gave money to the Athletic Department and the Athletic Department spent the money where they wanted to spend it.

In 1952 athletic scholarships became legal per the NCAA. Despite the fact the money was no longer going to 'regular students' IPTAY kept paying.

In the 60s and 70s a school could give as many athletic scholarships as they wanted to give. Big powerful rich schools often had 150 guys on football scholarships. Pittsburgh's Natty under Johnny Majors was driven by deep pockets that paid for ~70 freshman scholarships in ONE year.

In the 60s-80s athletes got very little cash with their scholarships. Poor kids would earn an athletic scholarships and not have enough money to buy a sports coat (or a car!) so boosters all over the country gave the money directly to the players. (This lead to "It's Probation Time Again Yall."

Finally in recent years schools were allowed to give athletes a 'full cost of attendance' ride. That means $$ into the pockets of athletes. And each school was allowed to figure out how much they gave their students. At Alabama, it was initially determined that an out of state student got ~$5300 and and an instate student got ~$4000. Those numbers turned out to be among the very largest FCOA stipends. Did you notice a lot of good athletes went to Alabama? When Clemson started putting money into the pockets of jocks, IPTAY kept on paying.

Oh, by the way, poorer students are often entitled to PELL GRANTS even while they are on full cost of attendance scholarships. So a player with a single Mom making less than $20,000 per year can apply for a Pell Grant and get up to $6195. IPTAY donors are still giving.

If you're keeping track (and my numbers are reasonably close to accurate), a player at Alabama from out of state who gets his full cost of attendance stipend and who applies for and gets a Pell Grant is getting a bit over $11000 per year in cash, while tuition, fees, books, room and board are paid for by his scholarship.

I used Bama only because it's easy to find their FCOA supplement. I am sure Clemson is not far from that amount. And IPTAY donations have increased through the years pretty much no matter how much cash the athletes get.

I seriously doubt many IPTAY donors are going to hold it against the athletes or the school that they can now earn money based on their Name, Image and Likeness.

I think the only problem with NIL is that the amount each athlete earns will be dependent on the fame of the player, the success of the school at playing the sport AND the effort the athlete puts into earning the money. But isn't that pretty much how America works anyway?

Message was edited by: Harley®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Major college football is so screwed up!

Jun 22, 2020, 11:43 PM

Thanks for sharing all of this.

I’m finding myself enjoying college football less and less, despite us having an amazing program. It’s sad.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 13, 2023, 8:30 AM

I want Clemson’s athletic teams to be competitive. I will stay a mid level donor as long as the costs do not get too astronomical.

Jun 19, 2020, 1:10 PM

Quite some time ago I became an IPTAY donor for the following reasons:

1. I could afford it.

2. I wanted to support my University.

3. IPTAY provided me the best vehicle to guarantee I could get season tickets for Clemson football.

For a good chunk of my time in IPTAY I was away in the military but still bought season tickets even though I couldn't go to the games (just gave them away to friends and family).

Now that I'm retired, reason number 1 is getting more difficult. Reason number 2 remains valid. Reason number 3 is becoming less important as I get older; I attend the games more to see old friends than anything else these days.

I am reducing my donation this year but it won't affect my seat equity or parking. I'm not reducing my IPTAY donation due to anything other than trying to lower my expenses on a retired budget. At some point I may decide to stop getting season tickets all together but I will probably still donate to the University through other programs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 19, 2020, 6:18 PM

I am no longer an IPTAY donor...

Jun 20, 2020, 7:45 AM

All my friends and I are dropping IPTAY this year due to the controversies and caving by the university. Some very foolish decisions have been made that are likely going to cost the university big. My donation level is above average but two of my friends have been huge donors.

Me either.***

Jun 22, 2020, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for IPTAY donors ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Me either.***

Jun 22, 2020, 11:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for IPTAY donors ]

Jun 22, 2020, 6:48 AM

Thanks for all the responses! Both for and against. I will still donate, just not sure about the level... probably just enough to keep my seats as others have suggested.

Go Tigers!!!

Jun 23, 2020, 12:10 AM

I think alot of people are just fed up with all of the drama and me me me attitude.

Maybe my attitude will change come fall, but I'm kind of in the" just do away with It all" category.

If it's such an atrocity how athletes are treated, then colleges would be doing the athletes a favor by doing away with sports altogether. Let them be actual students who are admitted on their academic merits in high school and let's see how that goes.

I really wish the success we are having now would have occurred in the 90's. Things seemed to be so much simpler back then . It's hard to support some of things that are happening on not just Clemson's campus, but all across the nation

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic