Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
IN 8 games Elliot is a better play caller......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

IN 8 games Elliot is a better play caller......

Oct 25, 2015, 4:26 AM

I might be the only one who thinks this but IN 8 games as an OC Elliot is a better play caller than Morris ever was at Clemson. Morris would never adjust to what the team was doing best in a close game. He would call silly trick plays when they weren't needed and would constantly go away from the running game when it was working(see SC 2012-2013 games for perfect examples of this) If we are having success running it or passing it Elliot sticks with whats working and keeps exploiting what the defense is giving him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IN 8 games Elliot is a better play caller......

Oct 25, 2015, 5:05 AM

,arsh: It's nice to see that some one else gets it! I agree with your post to a "T"!

I like, but he also has a better OL to work with. Ironically

Oct 25, 2015, 5:26 AM

This OL has exceeded all expectations. It's not a dominant unit, but we don't need it to be with DW. It's well above average, and that's what we needed to be a great team.

Ironically Morris had two first round draft pick at WR...

Oct 25, 2015, 1:16 PM

with another WR playing on Sunday every week too. Morris had a seasoned Sr and Grad QB who set and reset all Clemson QB records. He also enjoyed seasoned RBs and used smoke and mirror on just about every play.

But who is counting, right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2015, 5:26 AM

Morris is smart innovative and stubborn. Plus, he gave us the offensive identity we have today.

Elliott is smart and adaptable.

All the best to Morris at SMU, but I like the succession and the progression.

I agree. He makes better adjustments.

Oct 25, 2015, 8:06 AM

The Chad was stubborn and didn't always have s feel for what was working in s game. So far (and its early yet), Elliot is much better in this aspect.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2015, 8:14 AM

Sorry but Chad Morris was nothing more than Rob Spence with a more creative system. They both bought into the "mad scientist" persona and had more plays than we could ever run in one game. They were both so he'll bent on showing off their new creations each week that we rarely had a chance to go back to what worked.....because the game would be over by the time we ran all of our gadgets. Both are incredibly stubborn and lacked in the adjustment department. Both ran screens as "run plays". Spence was committed to the run and Morris to the pass so both were one diminsional.....take away Spence's run and he couldn't beat you throwing; take away Chad's pass and he couldn't beat you running.

I very much like where we ate at right now.

Balance.

Oct 25, 2015, 8:48 AM

I loved Chad Morris for all he's done at Clemson...there were definitely head scratching moments though. I really grew tired after the games, whether it was a win or a loss, he would say,"60% of the playbook was installed"

We never went past that percentage it seemed...

Re: IN 8 games Elliot is a better play caller......***

Oct 25, 2015, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Re: IN 8 games Elliot is a better play caller...... ]

He also seems to be expanding the playbook for this 2nd half run***

Oct 25, 2015, 8:37 AM

Oct 25, 2015, 8:55 AM

Elliot/scott has done a fantastic job. And is getting better every game.

The pupil has surpassed the teacher

Oct 25, 2015, 9:24 AM

I agree Elliott is a better play caller than Morris. That being said I think the time under Morris is the reason Elliot is so good. Enjoy it now. I thuink teams are going to be courting him soon.

Nice avatar..

Oct 25, 2015, 9:28 AM

..'tho I'm not a Dead fan.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Morris beat inferior opponents with superior talent.

Oct 25, 2015, 9:38 AM

I give most of the credit to Dabo for recruiting Sammy nuk Bryant and Boyd

I went back and watched uga 2013 and we looked clunky compared to this year.

Get your history right about Bryant...

Oct 25, 2015, 12:24 PM

Because of depth and minor focus issues, he didn't start having an impact until about the 4th game of his junior season

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2015, 9:41 AM

Gotta agree! Tu

MacLain actually touched on that in his interview

Oct 25, 2015, 9:42 AM

He said it was nice that we are sticking to game plans that are working. It was a subtle jab, but I definitely noticed

Re: MacLain actually touched on that in his interview

Oct 25, 2015, 10:49 AM

> He said it was nice that we are sticking to game
> plans that are working. It was a subtle jab, but I
> definitely noticed

I'm sure the players are loving it!

So he specifically mentioned Morris' name?***

Oct 25, 2015, 12:22 PM [ in reply to MacLain actually touched on that in his interview ]

Oct 25, 2015, 10:52 AM

I support this message !!

Jeff Scott is every bit involved as TE in the play calling.

Oct 25, 2015, 10:53 AM

He gets just as much of the credit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: Jeff Scott is every bit involved as TE in the play calling.

Oct 25, 2015, 11:15 AM

Yes. When you have two opinions and can run strategies by each other with regards to planning drives it only helps, and avoids one man going rouge to prove his system is awesome.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

would agree except for ND...

Oct 25, 2015, 11:20 AM

admittedly I dont know what was going on with Watson that night, but he went to a run game that was clearly not working way too early and let ND back in, when they should have been thinking about the how quick they could get back on the plane.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wait...is he calling the run plays or pass plays ? ;)***

Oct 25, 2015, 11:23 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tend to agree, but I think DW4 deserves credit, too

Oct 25, 2015, 11:31 AM

Checking us into proper plays and protections goes a long way to making a play work.

But yes, the creativity and mix reminds me of the "the finish" from '03 when everything was working.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Having Deshaun Watson out there helps make an OC look smart!

Oct 25, 2015, 12:12 PM

Not to say that the Elliott/Scott tandem isn't brilliant in their own right, because they did a great job when they had Cole Stoudt out there too. :)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Elliot has had much better run blocking in some games this year...

Oct 25, 2015, 12:20 PM

and has the benefit of a bigger RB. Actually we have had better run blocking in a higher number of games this season than the previous four seasons combined. Stop the Morris bashing, he was a big part of our success and taught Tony Elliott this offense.

Oct 25, 2015, 12:42 PM

I don't disagree with you but, to put it in perspective Chad Morris was what we needed at the time and was a great addition to our tigers coaching staff. At that time Elliott and or Scott were neither ready for what they are now doing . Thank Chad for teaching them the ins and outs and how to use the play book as they are now doing. Chad should never be degraded for his accomplishments at Clemson and i'm sure if you ask either of our OC's they would tell you they learned more from him during his time here than they could have under Napier.In my working career I learned more from bad supervisors than I did from good ones. I learned to not do the things that didn't work when those bad plays were called.

Agree and credit to Elliot and Scott!

Oct 25, 2015, 1:08 PM

It comes down to a couple of things: Pride and observations

I think one of Morris' issues had to be pride (not that that is always a negative). My guess is that in Morris' opinion, the only reason his plays didn't work was either the players messed it up or the defense got lucky, not the play call just wasn't that good.

Elliot and Scott have seen this first hand and have also seen other great play-callers stick with what works without wavering.

It's very similar to the analogy of business leaders- it is extremely rare to have the same person get a company off the ground AND then lead them into maximizing their potential. It's usually 2 different people with different strengths and different leadership styles.

Folks- we are exactly where we need to be!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am very pleased at their development thus far.***

Oct 25, 2015, 1:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic