Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Who's your QB & why?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Who's your QB & why?

Apr 12, 2017, 1:07 AM

Twitter's it's lengthy, but it'll just give an objective point coming from an older Tiger. It's a legitimate question. Maybe rather, what do you think the rotation might be?

This is for this year only, we know that things will shake up even more when Lawrence get's here.

Now that some of the dust has settled from the Spring game, I thought it would be appropriate to ask the question. Now that we also know that if coaches can & will " evaluate " players, fans will also.
First off, I tell you the difference in evaluate and not "dis-crediting or staining" a players abilities, intellect or skill set. It's ok for us as fans that have been around for the Ford days, the West Days, Bowden, etc. Why you ask? It is because they are part of the Clemson family. Furthermore, evaluation is just commenting on the players strength's and best fits for the team, no slander by most on the board I believe. It's just like saying " DW wouldn't make a good Power Back", because he wouldn't, he's just going to be a franchise QB soon. Just like a brother, a sister, a close friend, a tiger football player becomes part of the Tiger Nation with his commitment to play ball here and earn his degree here. I like then all, because they are Tigers.. With all that being said, Here are my thoughts.

K. Bryant: Dynamic Runner, slowly adjusting to the passing game, most experience under Watson. Nothing spectacular as far as leadership on field is concerned. I know he played hurt, no need to mention again. Through practices though, we heard about others along with Bryant. If his passing game is not a threat to opposing defenses, coaches will see. However, I hope that he can and will show us his arm. The question looming around Kelly is " will Dabo cater an offense to suit Kelly's strengths?". Just one thing though, teams load the box after they see consistent " tuck and run". After he heals, talks with Dabo, competes for the job, we'll see by end of summer. I give the guy a chance. Not only because of his abilities, but because He deserves the chance up until game time for Dabo to make his call. I wish him the best, and looking forward to seeing is growth and placement.

Z. Cooper: We see the ball wiz through the air, and see that arm strength with accuracy is no problem.
However, pocket movement has not been significant enough for coaches to mention. Otherwise, he would have stood out IMO. The most " like " Watson with combination of throwing, accuracy and scramble ability. We've yet to see the "game time" Z. Cooper for a full quarter. However, don't be surprised if he is playing against Auburn. Or even starting. Just my thoughts.

H. Johnson: Well 15 practices and a showing in the spring game has a lot of Tiger fans thinking that this 5 star recruit won't be sitting on the bench long. He's young, and needs to learn the system. By fall, playing against the best defense in the country, or #2 by the networks ( but we knows what's up )will he emerge as that consistent strong, precision and agile passer that can stretch the field to this talented back of WR's we have here? We'll all just to have to see, but the upside only looks good, well, really good. Good enough to start at Auburn? By the end of summer into fall we'll know.

T. Israel: Consistent, knows the offense and can get it one. Probably under appreciated, but most back ups's are. That is not a slight, it's just that they get overlooked, until a spring game like this. Then we remember, yea, Tucker has seen all the plays. There's something to be said for that. Maybe he becomes the Nick S. to Johnson. Who knows. Maybe it's not that at all. However, he showed that even behind a lot of competition, He can go out on the field and make a play for us, his stats show us that.

So, who's your starting QB and why?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who's your QB & why?

Apr 12, 2017, 1:11 AM

Cooper. He's the best all around right now. Hunter will be when he learns the offense better. KB we'd have to go to an auburn style offense and rush the ball 45+ times a game. Feaster/Fuller would be very important with KB at the helm. I'd go Cooper but KB will start 9/2 imo.

Apr 12, 2017, 1:11 AM

Cooper. He's the best all around right now. Hunter will be when he learns the offense better. KB we'd have to go to an auburn style offense and rush the ball 45+ times a game. Feaster/Fuller would be very important with KB at the helm. I'd go Cooper but KB will start 9/2 imo.

Apr 12, 2017, 6:46 AM

^^^^Spot on with this analysis IMO.

Did you know that if you post the same thing TWICE, and someone tries to TU both posts, that it will only do that for ONE of them? Interesting.

IMO

Apr 8, 2021, 6:18 PM

K.Bryant will be sitting atop the depth chart with Z. Cooper second. I do think that changes a few games in with Cooper sitting number one. Bryant can extend plays and is an extremely talented runner, but I've yet to be impressed with his passing ability. I've read he's grown in that area and maybe his hand limited him in the spring game. I think if he can grow in that aspect he will be a good answer when we roll into Louisville. Ultimately though I think cooper will be the guy by the end of the year. That kid can sling the ball and read defenses the best I think.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IMO

Apr 12, 2017, 7:46 AM

I wrote about this in another topic, but I gave a hard time believing Bryant going from 77% completion percentage in 2015, to 66% in 2016, to 58% and 54% in 2017 scrimmages to 30% in the spring game (though hurt mind you so not a fair judging point) looks like "improving".

Re: IMO

Apr 12, 2017, 2:15 PM

Not knocking Bryant but your stats are really misleading. The look really good until you actually look at the numbers they came from.

2015: 7-9 for the season
2016: 6-9 for the season

18 total game time passes in his career so far, all in mop up time. I believe there is a reason he could not secure the #2 spot behind Watson. That doesn't mean he isn't the best to start at this point if we had a game this weekend. It also doesn't mean he will be the best choice by the fall or mid season. Dabo said the same.

I love his running ability and his athleticism, I just do not think he is the answer at QB. I think he would have better off to take that athleticism and speed to a DB position.

Whoever our best passer is.**

Apr 12, 2017, 6:57 AM

f

Apr 12, 2017, 7:12 AM

I rewatched the game last night and realized I missed a few things live. Cooper is not afraid to lower his shoulder in the run game and I like that. He's a big dude with a big arm. I was very high on HJ but he seemed a little skittish back there but he was under a lot of pressure. His TD drive was aided by a short punt and two penalties worth 20 yards. I hate that KB hurt his throwing hand on the first play. He's a heck of a runner and if his passing has improved he'll be tough to beat out. Israel just doesn't have the arm strength IMO.

Listening to Dabos interview I think it's obvious Kelly Bryant is going to be the starter the first game.

Start Bryant, but....

Apr 12, 2017, 7:52 AM

Give Johnson plenty of PT and as it starts coming together for him...
Give him the keys.

That's what I expect.

Apr 12, 2017, 8:15 AM

Bryant is my starter as of now...

It's interesting watching people manipulate things to fit their view that Bryant is not the guy. Johnson and Cooper looked the best and Bryant couldn't throw the ball and teams will stack the box against us if he starts. I think Bryant looked the best, and it wasn't even close. He extended drives and got first downs with his legs. If it's so easy to stack the box against him, why didn't our defense do it? I was yelling at the TV, telling them to stack the box and make Bryant throw the ball, so I could see how he does. It's not his fault that he took what they gave him.

He's by far our best option right now, and the only reason people don't like the idea of him starting is because we have evolved our offense to a passing offense with studs at WR, and they are afraid a running QB might damage that image. I get it. But it's looking like we might have to use the run to set up the pass this year.

I, like at least a few others on the boreds here, thought

Apr 12, 2017, 8:23 AM

that Zerrick Cooper would supplant Bryant as the starter for next year. However, having seen the spring game and heard the comments coming out of practices, I really now think that Hunter Johnson will eventually be the guy for next year. And, as you said, he is really fighting a battle for the starting role going forward, even if he wins it for next year, due to Lawrence coming in '18. One thing for sure, all the guys will be giving it their all, since the door is truly open.

PS, I am one that does not really buy into the "start Kelly Bryant because he has more experience" scenario. He really does not have much experience other than practice.

"We talking about Practice, man. Not a game, PRACTICE!"

He may hang onto the job due to ability shown, but it should not be due to "experience".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I, like at least a few others on the boreds here, thought

Apr 12, 2017, 9:45 AM

https://goo.gl/images/xGBA7i

Apr 12, 2017, 9:49 AM [ in reply to I, like at least a few others on the boreds here, thought ]

Nice Allen Iverson reference

Apr 12, 2017, 12:54 PM

Still think that is one of the funniest "entitled athlete syndrome" moments of all time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2017, 11:26 PM

Totally agree. My friend and I still love making reference to his rant about "practice". It never gets old.

Apr 12, 2017, 11:44 PM

Hi-jack a good thread on QB's to talk about A.I. JK.. I think A.I's crossover still can't be replicated. His handles back in the day, man.. Revolutionary. I remember watching the video, him going on and on about practice, I mean practice.. Lol good stuff

The one the coaches pick

Jul 8, 2021, 6:26 PM

because they see them every day, know what they want in the offense, have a lot more experience than me and have earned the right to pick with a Natty.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Start Bryant and get...

Apr 12, 2017, 8:54 AM

Zerrick Cooper some 1st team reps. He led two nice drives, ran the offense efficiently (11-18 81yds and 26yds rushing), and kept his composure despite a porous white team o-line.

Tucker had a solid performance, but the coaches don't seem favor him due to his lack of height and arm strength.

Johnson showed some potential with that TD pass, but he was otherwise ineffective.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Start Bryant and get...

Apr 12, 2017, 8:59 AM

Agreed. Coop had great poise back there. He was calm and collected and showed a lot of ability. I think he would thrive with the entire first team

Re: Bryant starts and Johnson makes a push by mid-season***

Apr 12, 2017, 2:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: Bryant starts and Johnson makes a push by mid-season***

Apr 12, 2017, 11:21 PM

I could see that. I could see other scenarios also if Cooper increases mobility in the pocket.

I appreciate the feedback, on the OP. Good scenarios. In the end, as a Tiger Fan, we want to see all the guys succeed. We also want to win. I am glad that we have a championship HC and staff that will make the right call. Trust in this coaching staff, OC's, Venables, etc. has been much easier watching Dabo grow as a coach, and how He has been " ALL IN" for Clemson University. From bringing in Recruits to elevate the program, to establishing a culture of winning. We are lucky to have him, and this is coming from someone as I mentioned before, that has watched a lot of tough years in Clemson football. Good things are ahead for the CU Football program and the QB "problem" is one that many schools only wish they had. This year will shape it self out more into Summer and Fall camp with a test run against Kent State. Again, Dabo and Co. is the best, I trust their decisions. They are Championship caliber, and Clemson is Championship Defenders. Looking forward to a great Football season, counting down the days.

Apr 12, 2017, 11:33 PM

Good points! I hope Dabo will run the same offense that Watson ran . Changing it to suit Bryant's running skills and limited passing skills would be a mistake. Trevor Lawrence next year can run the DW4 offense. So can Johnson and Cooper. Cooper is the most seasoned to take the starting job.

Apr 13, 2017, 12:31 AM

In short, the only way I could give a informed answer would be if I got to watch 4 quarters of each quarterback with the starting offense. I cannot help but feel that the Orange offensive line was slightly better than the White's. I even would have liked to see, at halftime, the quarterbacks switch sides to give a better, more fair analysis.

It was what it was, a fun little scrimmage under the sun. It brought out the fans, feels, and we landed XT. But we are nowhere close to knowing which quarterback will be at the helm in September after last Saturday.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic