Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
IF. You had the authority to make a change in the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

IF. You had the authority to make a change in the ACC

Feb 12, 2019, 10:18 PM

Considering everything such as location, rivalries, fan bases, travel,weather, quality of all programs etc. what team would you trade one for one for? For instance, would you be happier with Maryland for Syracuse? Who do you like.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: IF. You had the authority to make a change in the ACC

Feb 12, 2019, 10:41 PM

1) ditch Swofford
2) add Navy
3) go to nine conference games
4) all cross over games would rotate
5) ditch NCSU and add UCF

Why go to 9 conference games?? We would end up giving up

Feb 13, 2019, 12:17 AM

the power 5 OOC game we now have every year, like TAM or Auburn. As is, were are now playing 10 power five opponents every year, which is more than most others play!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

or give up one of the two scrub games

Feb 13, 2019, 3:18 AM

Why schedule wofford and charlotte in the same year. Better yet why schedule either of them ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: or give up one of the two scrub games

Feb 13, 2019, 9:41 AM

The "scrub" games are guaranteed to be at home.

If we play 2 power 5 and 9 conference games then we would end up with only 6 home games in some years.

Clemson is dead set against losing a home game.

I think that's been argued to death already

Feb 13, 2019, 9:52 AM [ in reply to or give up one of the two scrub games ]

1) Those are guaranteed home games every year. Drop one for an extra P5 game and you fall to 6.5 home games per year. Drop both and you are at 6 home and 6 away each year. That's one fewer game to sell in the ticket packages each year and, regardless of whether it's a lesser opponent, fans don't want 1 less home game. Removing a home game likely means lowering donation levels across the board and less revenue for the athletic department.

2) What's the incentive to play additional difficult games? All you really need from a schedule is for it to be good enough to get you into the playoff with 1 loss. Our current model of 8 ACC games + SC + 1 marquee OOC opponent + 2 scrubs is perfectly fine for that and probably even ideal. If you want to replace the FCS scrub with a G5 scrub, fine, but i think there's politics involved there to deal with.

2018 is the first time we've had a schedule bad enough to potentially get us left out with 1 loss (thankfully we didn't lose!) and it took an abysmal year in the ACC for that to happen. That isn't something that's going to happen very often.

3) 9 conference games sucks anyway. Who really wants that? First, i find the imbalance of home/road games annoying. Second, there's already limited connectivity from non-conference games across college football. This would make that even worse and make it even more difficult to compare teams from different conference. That makes advanced statistics and ratings models less accurate. Ultimately i think that also makes the committees job more difficult. Only playing non-GT coastal teams once every 6 year does suck, but I'd much rather see that addressed by implementing a pods system or something similar to replace divisions instead of adding a conference game.

I don't want Maryland back***

Feb 12, 2019, 10:46 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

trade Boston College for Penn State

Feb 12, 2019, 10:46 PM

adds another football school with a large fanbase. Can contribute some power in other sports too like volleyball. Useless for basketball but so is BC really.

Pedophile Sandusky University - NO!***

Feb 13, 2019, 11:18 AM

Re: Pedophile Sandusky University - NO!***

Feb 13, 2019, 1:06 PM

Stupid comment. Sandusky is long gone and in Jail. No one associated with that situation is at Penn State. A good program under Franklin and I would welcome them.

Feb 12, 2019, 10:47 PM

Make Notre Dame be All In or get the H *** out!

Feb 12, 2019, 11:44 PM

Ditch Notre Dame. I’ve never understood how /why they got the deal they did. I don’t accept the theory that they improve the ACC television ratings or that the conference benefits in any way. It seems to be a win win situation for ND.

Trade the tarholes for Vandy***

Feb 12, 2019, 10:53 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2019, 10:53 PM

Although it wouldn’t add anything in terms of tradition, fan base or competitiveness, I’ve always thought Vanderbilt should be in the ACC in place of Louisville.

UCF would be a good addition although it’s not on par academically with most of the ACC schools.

Baseball tourney to Flour Field. Trade Wake for Navy

Feb 12, 2019, 10:57 PM

have 4 from NC. One has to go. Navy would at least give us the state of Maryland back.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’d trade swoffie for ANY team - even those loosers that

Feb 12, 2019, 11:01 PM

Kiffin coaches.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Feb 12, 2019, 11:02 PM

No interest in adding anyone else. Navy does not move my interest meter athletically.

Playing the schedule we've played has been fine for us for years, main issue is teams like s.carolina state and uOFsc damaging our SOS.

I would have the ACC Baseball Tourny played in Greenville every year

Feb 12, 2019, 11:02 PM

I'd vacate the 1969 ACC championship

The first thing I would do is fire John Swofford...

Feb 12, 2019, 11:19 PM

The next thing I would do is invite Penn State to join the league and then tell Notre Dame to either come on board as a full member in all sports or GTFO entirely.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 13, 2019, 2:46 AM

Atlantic division-fsu, gt, clem, ncst, unc, wake, duke, virgina

East division-miami, pitt, louisville, wvu, nd, bc, cuse, by

Cross division rivals correspond with the order, bill it as a mid season rivalry week acc vs big east

I believe the days of super conferences are not

Feb 13, 2019, 5:12 AM

far off.

Hence, the ACC goes to 20 teams, and I'd like to see the following six added: Notre Dame (full member,) Penn State, West (yes, by Golly) Virginia, the Ohio State, Michigan, and either Michigan State or Wisconsin.

As an aside, I believe it was an arrogant slap-in-the-face to WVU to have invited Pitt and VT and not the Mountaineers, although I realize opposition to that. I just don't like the appearance of condescension in anything in which Clemson is involved, especially in the matter of WVU who had no one to come to their aid during the ACC expansions.

WVU would be a great addition if not for their fans

Feb 13, 2019, 8:56 AM

I have inlaws associated with WVU and even they complain about the bad reputation their fans give to the school. This was also witnessed first hand in the orange bowl game. I saw WVU fans fighting our fans, WVU fans fighting with other WVU fans, WVU fan behind us was cussing at my mother and purposely spilled their drink on her for cheering. My inlaws say its even worse for visiting fans at games at morgantown. This goes on everywhere to some degree but they are just a garbage and take it to a whole new level of ridiculousness. I didnt think I would ever say this but they are worse than USUC fans. This is why I dont want any part of them in the conference.

I can forgive the academic side of things because I believe their rep there is kind of skewed unfairly. After talking with my inlaws, part of the reason the academic rep is so low as far as incoming freshman grades, graduation rates, low avg sat/act scores is due to the fact that if you are a WV resident and you graduate high school with required prereqs you are pretty much guaranteed entry to undergrad with any GPA/test scores. They basically take the stance, with a few exceptions, that if you are a state resident that has paid state taxes then you deserve the right to go to their state supported school and should be given a chance. What you do with that chance is up to you. I believe this is a wonderful stance for a state supported institution to take. It gives some that may not have taken high school seriously or were late in the game of turning things around a second chance to turn things around and get an education that their tax dollars paid for. Some take advantage and of course some dont. This is what leads to them having a high freshman/sophomore drop out rate, lower freshman avg test scores/GPA. If you took these factors out of the equation and just measured them on the quality of education provided, quality of graduates and their future success, and GPA of those graduates the academic rep would be a lot better. For example, in the US News rankings published every year, 35% of your score is based on graduation rates alone and 10% is based on admissions standards for a total of 45% of the score. So the factors mentioned above significantly affect the schools ranking.

The furniture lobby in NC will never allow that to happen***

Feb 13, 2019, 10:34 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 5:26 AM

If I had the authority to make a change in the ACC I'd tell Notre Dame either to join in football or take the program somewhere else.
If they choose not to join in football, I'd kick them out in every other sport as well.
If they chose to join in football then I would add UCF.

Feb 13, 2019, 9:10 AM

The problem with UCF is that when their current coach gets hired away they are going back to the dumpster. We don't need a team like that in the ACC

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 9:25 AM

I'd make three immediate changes:

First: give Swofford a deadline to retire - period! Hire a new commissioner ASAP.

Second: give Notre Dame a deadline - join as a full member or leave.

Third: Invite one of the following schools to join - Cincinnati, Navy, Temple or West Virgina.

Fourth: In a 16 member league go to PODS of four with rotating schedules from the three other PODs. Clemson would play their three opponents annually and take two of four from the other three PODS for a nine game ACC schedule. We would then have three non-conference games.

Note: Penn St. isn't joining due to Hockey. The B10 kept them in a decade ago by using this sport as leverage along with television money. Ideally I'd love for UofSC to be kicked out of the SEC and have to approach the ACC, but their fans would totally oppose returning.

Go Tigers!

Fire Swofford

Feb 13, 2019, 8:10 AM

Trade UNC for West Virginia ...

Talk about a crowded TV market ... 3 teams in the Raleigh/Durham area ? Too much.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2019, 9:09 AM

Regarding Penn State. No Big Ten school is going to give up the $40 plus million the Big Ten distributes to each school annually to take the $25 million the ACC pays.

UCF does not increase the TV market for the ACC enough. We already have the Florida market with the two major Florida schools, FSU and Florida.

Navy would bring virtually no TV market to the ACC. Navy is very seldom on TV in any sport except for the Army/Navy football game.

Notre Dame receives no ACC money from TV and only between 4-5 Million for basketball and Olympic sports. The 14
other schools receive @25 million each and that will increase with the launch of the new ACC network in August. The 5 ACC/Notre Dame games get higher ratings due to ND’s national appeal and that means that the ACC gets more money
for those games. The ACC gets the money from ACC home games and ND gets the money from ND homes games.

Feb 13, 2019, 9:47 AM

It's not one change but I believe this would work:

Add ND and UCF (or some other decent team) to go to 16 teams, divide those into four, four team pods.

Pod A: UNC, Duke, WF, NCSU
Pod B: Clemson, GT, VT, UVA
Pod C: Cuse, BC, ND, Pitt
Pod D: FSU, Miami, Louisville, UCF

Rotate pods every year and play seven conference games, no cross over but require each team to play a minimum of 10 power five games (can schedule OOC games against ACC teams not on conference schedule).

With this a three year player plays every ACC team during their career and it leaves enough schedule to play big OOC games.

Example: Year one Atlantic consists of pods A&B and Coastal consists of C&D, no cross division conference games.

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Kick Clemson Football out of the conference...

Feb 13, 2019, 10:38 AM

then leave with it. Clemson would be so much better off. We could drop three or four of the cupcakes
like Wake and Duke to add a Big 12, a B1G and another SEC team or two, sign ESPiN contracts and perhaps pickup a contract with NBC, CBS or other network.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Louisville for literally any other school.

Feb 13, 2019, 11:25 AM

Their fans are trash. Their school is trash. They don't belong/fit in the ACC.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd rather have Louisville than Maryland***

Feb 13, 2019, 11:34 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 13, 2019, 11:32 AM

Fire Swofford and Jamie Lucky.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get rid of divisions....rotate ever1

Feb 13, 2019, 11:48 AM

Top 2 teams play in conf champ game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic