Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I would REALLY Love to see RAT SEASON brought
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

I would REALLY Love to see RAT SEASON brought

Jun 24, 2018, 11:22 PM

back JUST for one year with a year's notice. Make them understand it was a controversial yet established method used to unify each incoming freshman class. Make 'em wear beanies, guys get head shaved(it always grows back), ribbons, carry goodie boxes for upperclassmen, run errands for them, March to DV Game Day in Ranks, sit in DV in lower A, polish the cannons, etc. Y'all know the protocol as well as I. Oh, yeah. Guys wear shirts, ties, coats, nice pants ans shined shoes to the 1st game and buy their date flowers to wear.

Have a Dance in Harcombe the Saturday night after the first home Football Game with music by Coast Line Band and the Entertainers. At Midnight, caps and ribbons can come off, but that was all.

For me, it was a exciting, fun six weeks. And it was not HAZING.

Examples of potential hazing usually occurred later in the fall to those ROTC students participating in Scabbard and Blade, P/R's,Arnold Air, Counter Guerrilas. These exibitions were normally attended by current/former members, the participant's girl friends, most anyone who wanted a picture, the Tiger Photo staff, and various and sundry faculty advisors and professors assuring that non-hazing protocol was loosely being followed. If a participant happened to become unrecognizable, they could shout out their name and room number at the end of the production so that the perpetrators could get them to cleaning facilities in their dorm.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would REALLY Love to see RAT SEASON brought

Jun 24, 2018, 11:35 PM

Glad you enjoyed it but that was a different era. That’s not going to work today.

kids today would absolutely melt. it would be impossible.***

Jun 25, 2018, 12:15 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Unfortunately, there's a trend

Jun 24, 2018, 11:53 PM

where there's that 1 guy in 1,000,000 that when they feel disrespected decides to get a gun and mow down groups of people.

And by definition, forcing someone to shave their head or carry bags or running errands in order to join a clique is hazing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unfortunately, there's a trend

Jun 25, 2018, 12:55 AM

Rat season was before my time, but the Block C club induction ceremony hazing, I must say, was superb. We were blindfolded and they dump a lot of smelly nasty stuff on us and rubbed it on our faces, some of it burned. The big treat of the night was, they took us to the hill on the southeast corner of the stadium, still blindfolded. The hill was set up with a slick plastic tarp, you are set down then shoved down the slide. At the bottom of the slide they had arranged a cesspool. I don’t know for a fact exactly what was in there, but I’m pretty sure it was cow manure and water. When you arrived into the cesspool you went in neck deep.......still blindfolded. Guys and girls all went through this. One girl, I have no idea who she was, got turned around on the slide and she went in headfirst. She pretty much lost her mind at that point and those that were running the initiation became extremely apologetic real fast. After that, soaking wet and stinking to high heaven, we were driven across town and had to run back. Had to throw those clothes away.

Why would anybody do that

Jun 25, 2018, 5:28 AM

to themselves or another human?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its the 21st century...ain't happening

Jun 25, 2018, 5:26 AM

there is no way I would have gone to Clemson in 1985 if they still did that let alone today

Re: I would REALLY Love to see RAT SEASON brought***

Jun 25, 2018, 6:33 AM

Jun 25, 2018, 6:37 AM

The best initiation ritual we had was blindfolding pledges, leading them into the bathroom,and have them retrieve the over-ripe bananas out of the commode.

Jun 25, 2018, 6:58 AM

Disagree. Rat season was stupid.

All this in OP and other replies sounds mild

Jun 25, 2018, 7:16 AM

Compared to Frat initiations....

Just sayin’

Jun 25, 2018, 7:18 AM

Wow.......I never would have thought there were so many SNOWFLAKES on Tnet.....who apparently are Clemson Alumni.

Maybe a RAT SEASON APP might work in today’s world***

Jun 25, 2018, 8:43 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2018, 9:11 AM

That is never going to happen. I entered Clemson in 1964 when Rat season was still in full bloom. It was actually pretty stupid and a left over tradition from the military days.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 25, 2018, 11:09 AM

As it was in 1962, when I entered Clemson. Worst aspect of being a "rat" was the bare-head haircut required to join that club, which I had to pay an upper classman 50 cents to do, that removed any trace of the very full head of hair I'd grown during my final two years of high school up in New York.

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We live in a society with...

Jun 25, 2018, 9:39 AM

"safe spaces" and 30 year old men that have to be evicted from their parent's house b/c they don't want to work or grow up. How on earth would anyone commit to consent to a fraction of what you listed?

This should be dubbed the "weak sauce" generation. :)

By the way..

Jun 25, 2018, 9:41 AM

My dad still has his rat hat hanging on the wall in his office. I think my mom has a pic of me as an infant at one of the games back in '78 wearing that hat!

Re: I would really like for

Jun 25, 2018, 9:43 AM

Free love with no std's to come back. That's not going to happen either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad's Rat Hat

Jun 25, 2018, 10:36 AM

Jun 25, 2018, 1:07 PM

Well, as one of the Rats in 1957-58, I did not mind one bit. Was fun - especially going home to Lancaster for the Friday night football game wearing the Rat Hat with shaved head. Everybody knew where you chose to go to college. Proud to be a Tiger at age 79!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People forget that wearing a Rat Hat

Jun 25, 2018, 1:51 PM

when you were hitch-hiking home for a week-end was one sure way to get a pretty safe ride up the road. I did it several times during Rat Season, and later on using an Orange Straw Hat. Getting back on Sunday was a cinch, too. Even had several take me right to Green Tom's Statue.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic