Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why I see our season as a success...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 3,018

Why I see our season as a success...

Dec 4, 2012, 1:56 PM

To the absurd & unrealistic fans who make me question why I still read anything on this board anymore: Prior to the start of this season I predicted that we would finish 8-4, and maybe 9-3. I didn't whine, b*tch, or moan on message board about it, but if you wanted my realistic opinion, that's what I would have said.

I believed our o-line was simply too young to produce another dynamic 10 win season. I predicted we would lose to FSU, SCar, & at least 1 other team because I didn't think our offense would be able to match the success of the previous season. I was just going to cheer hard & look forward to 2013.

Granted, I didn't expect that the competition we faced would be as poor as it was this year either, but our O-line FAR exceeded my expectations. The defense was disappointing, but we definitely improved in several areas. We lost to the 2 teams that I expected we would lose to. Both of those games sucked. However, I am very pleased with the way my Tigers played over the course of 12 games and in the way they surpassed my expectations.

I truly believe the future looks very bright for us.

GO TIGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We beat no one with a pulse. Fact.***

Dec 4, 2012, 1:57 PM

Bears eat beets. Fact.******

Dec 4, 2012, 1:58 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica***

Dec 4, 2012, 2:05 PM

Identity theft is not a joke Jim!!!***

Dec 4, 2012, 2:28 PM

Won 10 games by 14 or more points. Fact.***

Dec 4, 2012, 1:58 PM [ in reply to We beat no one with a pulse. Fact.*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well ... make that 9 games***

Dec 4, 2012, 1:59 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I won't even bother to disagree with you, bc I don't need to

Dec 4, 2012, 2:00 PM [ in reply to We beat no one with a pulse. Fact.*** ]

in order to make my point. Which is this: both of the teams we lost to were great teams that I expected to lose to pre-season. Opinion.***

I just don't understand the point in wasting your life griping on a message board. Speaking of lives, I'm getting back to mine now. I suggest you do the same (or find one).

This***

Dec 4, 2012, 2:03 PM [ in reply to We beat no one with a pulse. Fact.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least we didn't lost to anyone with no pulse!

Dec 4, 2012, 2:18 PM [ in reply to We beat no one with a pulse. Fact.*** ]

Which is not as easy as it sounds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh. Oh yeah.

Dec 4, 2012, 3:13 PM

You did beat me to that.

Yeah? Well...

Dec 4, 2012, 3:13 PM [ in reply to We beat no one with a pulse. Fact.*** ]

WE DIDN'T LOSE TO SOMEONE WITHOUT A PULSE!

Prove me wrong.

Re: We beat no one with a pulse. Fact.***

Dec 4, 2012, 4:05 PM [ in reply to We beat no one with a pulse. Fact.*** ]

We beat a bunch of undead zombies fing awesome.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Agree with Everything you Just Said***

Dec 4, 2012, 1:58 PM

Dabo has that affect....i think most clemson fans EXPECT....

Dec 4, 2012, 2:00 PM

to lose to South Carolina now.

the sad part is most have also grown to ACCEPT IT

Re: Dabo has that affect....i think most clemson fans EXPECT....

Dec 4, 2012, 2:01 PM

No way man....

look around........

Dec 4, 2012, 2:05 PM

as long as he's pumping out 9-10 win seasons OR making appearances in the ACC title game every once in a while.........fans are HAPPY!!........prime example is the post that started this thread.

next year if we win 8-9-10 and go to the ACCCG, but lose to SCar......you'll see the same thing.......it's happened the last 4 years

it's a trend that Clemson fans have grown to accept.

Show me one, JUST ONE, Clemson fan that is "happy"

Dec 4, 2012, 2:08 PM

we lost to usc.

I'm not happy that we lost to USC. I just didn't dedicate my

Dec 4, 2012, 2:11 PM

life to griping about it. And my disappointment from that game doesn't affect my satisfaction with the rest of the season. (Notice my proper use of the word "affect")

Very well stated!!!!!!!***

Dec 4, 2012, 2:12 PM

happy with our SEASON...........

Dec 4, 2012, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Show me one, JUST ONE, Clemson fan that is "happy" ]

as long as dabo pumps out 9-10 wins in this weak @$$ conference and plays for the title every now and then...........it doesn't matter if we beat South Carolina or not.......it's been proven over the last 4 years.

no NOBODY was happy we lost to USC, but they "shook it off" and labeled this season a "success" and put a sunshine spin on it for next year.........and then we'll do it again

2009 8-4 went to our first title game ended with loss to SCar......most ecstatic
2010 6-6.....let's just say NOBODY was happy here
2011 9-3 WON the ACC had an awful late season collapse which ended with a SCar loss.....everybody ecstatic b/c we finally won the ACC
2012 10-2.....didn't appear in the ACCCG lost in humiliating fashion on our home field to SCar vs a 2nd string QB........but we're ECSTATIC with a 10 win season

when do we stop accepting losing to SCar??????

if we lose next year (very likely) are we gonna be happy b/c 2014 is "our year"??????

most clemson fans are satisfied winning 9-10.......SCar is just a bonus.

MOST Clemson fans are mature enough to be happy

Dec 4, 2012, 2:22 PM

about winning 10 games, but still acknowledge that losing to usc is unacceptable. I am glad we had a good year, but that doesn't stop the burning desire I have to destroy anything related to usc due to that last game.

perfect lead in.........

Dec 4, 2012, 2:26 PM

when do you stop ACCEPTING unacceptable?????

5 straight?
6 straight?
7 straight?????
or as the poster above hypothetically stated 10 straight?????????

WHO IS ACCEPTING ANYTHING?

Dec 4, 2012, 2:29 PM

GEEZ, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

you said it was "unacceptable" to lose to SCar........

Dec 4, 2012, 2:31 PM

so when should change happen at the top???

10?

15????????????

at what point would you want a new coach to get the job done vs SCar??????

I don't think you make a coaching change based off of one

Dec 4, 2012, 2:33 PM

game out of 12. Is it a factor? Absolutley

Yawn.***

Dec 4, 2012, 2:35 PM [ in reply to you said it was "unacceptable" to lose to SCar........ ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think you make a coaching change based off of one

Dec 4, 2012, 2:42 PM [ in reply to you said it was "unacceptable" to lose to SCar........ ]

game out of 12. Is it a factor? Absolutly, but there are multiple other factors as well. How did you do in league play? How did you do in the bowl game? How well are you recruiting? Fan support? Academics? Is the general feeling about the program positive or negative? NCAA violations?

You and I have a different opinion of "unacceptable". You seem to thing unacceptable means fire the coach. I think it means work harder, recruit harder, fix the issues, build a program can defeat usc.

And I think you are wasting your time calling for a coaching change this year.

well first off......I'm not calling for a change this year..

Dec 4, 2012, 2:54 PM

second......thanks for proving the point of clemson fans being happy with a 9-10 win season with an ACCCG appearance every now and then giving a pass for losing to South Carolina.

from what I read I'm assuming should we go 10-2 the next 10 years and meet all of your "acceptable" criteria EXCEPT beating south carolina you wouldn't want a change.

that's what I figure most clemson fans have come to accept

No where did I say that Clemson could keep losing to usc

Dec 4, 2012, 3:32 PM

without making a change. I said it is one factor to consider when deciding if change is needed. Obviously, keep losing to them and that factor will be weighted more heavily.

Losing to SCAR is unacceptable, but I think we must also

Dec 4, 2012, 4:20 PM [ in reply to you said it was "unacceptable" to lose to SCar........ ]

accept the fact that they are a very good team right now. Do I think they will continue to be as good or better than us? No. I think you could make the argument that they are literally one player (Clowney) better than us.

Put that kid on our team and we probably go undefeated. He is a legit game changer and would be the #1 pick this year as a sophomore. The good news is that this isn't the pros and he doesn't have a 7 year contract.

Dabo is bringing in great talent and trying to improve the defensive front because he knows games are won and lost there.

It's ok to recognize that the Gamecocksare much better that hey have ever been, but it doesn't mean we are worse. We couldn't get through the ACC with Bowden and Dabo is getting us there consistently.

Do I think SCAR will win 5,6,7....10 straight? No- it's a series there are ups and downs. They are having a run for the ages right now. Big deal- it doesn't define this team, our fans, or the coaches.

They are judged on the entire body of work and we are on the climb. I much prefer the view from where we sit than where we were with Bowden. We are relevant. How many times could you say that in Bowdens tenure?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you.

Dec 4, 2012, 2:35 PM [ in reply to WHO IS ACCEPTING ANYTHING? ]

What does it mean to "accept" it vs. "not accept" it?

What are you going to do about it? The answer: NOTHING. Because you can't control it, my friend. All you can do is get on a message board & gripe about it. You can't control who the coach is and you can't control how the players play.

Life is hard. Move on.

fans control it........

Dec 4, 2012, 2:58 PM

you and I by ourselves CAN'T, but Fans as a whole can

and if most fans accept our fate of losing to SCar but win 8-10 games a year then nothing will change, but if most fans demanded more then things could change.

now the "who" of being a coach fans don't really control, but if the money drops the coach drops.

I just don't want to go another 20 years wandering

Dec 4, 2012, 3:08 PM

in the desert... And that is what you risk by firing the best recruiter in the nation, who has managed the program better than anyone I can imagine, and is WINNING.

When you complain THIS much about losing to your rival, you become like them. You make the rivalry more important than having the best program possible. This is what you're doing.

trust me......I like dabo......but don't act like he's the..

Dec 4, 2012, 3:17 PM

best coach in the universe that can't be replaced.

sure he can recruit, but from an X & Os standpoint he brings nothing to the table

I hope dabo proves me wrong next year, but should he not i've always been in favor of a head coach that SPECIALIZES on one side of the ball a coach that has his system ALWAYS in place regardless of coordinators. (preferably offense)

but I don't want another tommy / rich rod scenario and I see that happening when chad leaves.

Yarn.***

Dec 4, 2012, 2:36 PM [ in reply to perfect lead in......... ]

Yarn.***

Dec 4, 2012, 2:36 PM [ in reply to happy with our SEASON........... ]

Re: Show me one, JUST ONE, Clemson fan that is "happy"

Dec 4, 2012, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Show me one, JUST ONE, Clemson fan that is "happy" ]

If you or anyone else finds a happy fan that we lost to the coots. He/she is surely not a Clemson fan. But in reality, I don't think that any coach that we could have gotten when Bowden was fired. They wouldn't have beat the coots either these past few years. They have become a team to recon with under spurrier. OUCH!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yawn.***

Dec 4, 2012, 2:36 PM [ in reply to look around........ ]

Re: look around........

Dec 4, 2012, 2:57 PM [ in reply to look around........ ]

Most, and you have forgotten the state of our program when Dabo took over. Dabo has patched and made due with what he has had to work with while growing his own team. Nick Saban couldn't have come in and done any better than Dabo if it wasn't for Saban's already made name. Saban, B Bowden, Spurrier, Miles none of them got to where they are today in less time than most has given Dabo. Dabo has done what he has done as HC without ever having the experience as a cordinator. You would easily given the above coaches more time than you want Dabo to have. Most believed Dabo was a very bad hire from the start, and knew he would fail. He is proving you wrong. And before he is done, he will prove you to be absolutely dead wrong. My hope is that Clemson will have grown so deep into him that money can't buy him away. Dabo gets it, and Dabo is intelligent, but he don't have a magic wand to wave and make it all happen before the best of the others could have done it. Yes TDP and Clemson could have spent 3 mil and got us a proven coach. But TDP spent less than a million and got us a coach that has worked he A$$ off to prove he can be a successful HC if given the chance. Regardless of what the acc has become. Dabo has done more than any other coach we have had in over Two decades. No matter what anybody says at this point. You can't prove that he isn't. And he has done it without any threats from the NCAA. IMO, We will be the best team in the acc. And will be a great threat to any in the sec next season.

oh come on........dabo took over a GOLD MINE.......

Dec 4, 2012, 3:07 PM

compared to what most 1st year Head coaches take over.

look where it was when Tommy took over

Dabo had TALENT from DAY 1.........and while I think he's improved the talent overall......we're still just as SOFT as we were 4 years ago.

we're an average 8-9 win team in any other conference in america (except the Big East).......and no if we happen to beat LSU it won't change my opinion.

NOW

go 11-1 or better AND AND AND AND AND AND BEAT SOUTH CAROLINA NEXT YEAR then i'll say he's done something. Because let's go ahead and say it.......next year was the year that EVERYBODY pointed to back in 2009 and said that's OUR YEAR.......hope he doesn't blow it.

I doubt you'll be happy if we go 11-1 next year and beat usc

Dec 4, 2012, 3:38 PM

You'll just reset the bar. That is what has happened from the day Dabo was hired.

All we heard then was...

1. All that matters are results.

2. Get to the ACCCG.

3. Get 10 wins.

Those things were accomplished, but now some want to down play their importance.

all you heard from me was............

Dec 4, 2012, 4:03 PM

9-10 wins
AND
Beat South Carolina

hasn't happened

That is about as ignorant as your improper spelling of the

Dec 4, 2012, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Dabo has that affect....i think most clemson fans EXPECT.... ]

word "effect." "Affect" is a verb. "Effect" is a noun.

If SCar were ranked #1 in the country for 10 straight years & we were in the top 10, going 11-1 most years, but losing to them, would you still have this attitude? If so, I have no use for you because you fail to respond to reason.

I would hate losing to them most years, but I'd be #### proud of my football team!

absolutely I would.......

Dec 4, 2012, 2:23 PM

because Clemson used to be synonymous with beating South Carolina.

and judging by your post I would assume that you would be perfectly fine going 11-1 and losing to them 10 straight years..............if that's the case then we'll just have to agree to disagree b/c I have no use for that kind of thinking especially coming from a "clemson fan"

Yarn.***

Dec 4, 2012, 2:37 PM

Yawn.***

Dec 4, 2012, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Dabo has that affect....i think most clemson fans EXPECT.... ]

Of course it was a success. The problem is some people

Dec 4, 2012, 2:03 PM

only think in extremes. To them it's either all or nothing. Win every game or it's a failure.

Fact is 10 wins and tied for the division championship, while losing to two top ten teams, is a success. It was a good year. Was it a great year? No way!!! But it was a good year.

Re: Of course it was a success - very good if we beat LSU***

Dec 4, 2012, 2:07 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And over the last 20, one of the best years we've had...***

Dec 4, 2012, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Of course it was a success. The problem is some people ]

If we can beat LSU, it will get us back some of the

Dec 4, 2012, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Of course it was a success. The problem is some people ]

respect that this program has been craving for decades. We will have to play "lights out" with MINIMAL turnovers to beat LSU. It can be done, just gonna be tough. Losing to the ##### sux, but we are not alone. Look at UGA.....almost winning the SEC en route to the BCSCG. ##### have had their # too. This is a rebuilding year for us- we knew it ahead of time with the O and D lines. We are moving up, just not fast enough for most fans. Keep recruiting well and it will get there. But one thing I want to state is that I do not measure our success using the ##### as a measuring stick. Losing to them has to stop, but we owned them way too long for them to rattle my cage. I always tell them "enjoy it while it lasts", because they/we all know it won't

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

^^^^This***

Dec 4, 2012, 3:11 PM

Seems to me we've been steadily improving on the

Dec 4, 2012, 3:22 PM

gridiron under Dabo, this year included. The team is mostly young but beginning to get very deep, with more to come. Caldwell's line will have 2 full years under its belt heading into spring, with 15+ guys battling for positions. This is going to be a strength for us now and shaping up for years to come. I wonder if Dabo will give BV some latitude this off-season to shape his staff a little more to his liking.

10-win seasons, league crowns, BCS and another quality bowl in back to back years, I'd say it's been steadily moving in the right direction and the best is yet to come.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many years has the ### game bitten us? We dodged all of

Dec 4, 2012, 3:29 PM

the crappy loses that always haunted us. Now granted we saved our ### games for the teams that actually played defense, but we knew our O line was very green...and had no idea of what would happen with our D( especially with all of the injuries and under performing). Not a huge success, but successful in many ways.

didn't know that W T F would get ### out ......ooops***

Dec 4, 2012, 3:34 PM

Replies: 54
| visibility 3,018
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic