Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I was introduced to a UT professor today....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

I was introduced to a UT professor today....

Apr 22, 2016, 11:20 PM

He was originally from SC. When introduced, my friend indicated I studied at Clemson. He said "I'm sorry". I'm sorry!!!!!!

I was trying to think of a way to respond without being rude to this man my friend respected.

All I could think to say in the heat of the moment was "Bless your heart....you must have grown up a Carolina fan".

How would you have responded folks? I need some snappier comebacks. I am looking for options that are not completely rude. Lol

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you did a fine job. Comparable to a couple of weeks

Apr 22, 2016, 11:24 PM

ago at The Masters.My son and I were walking out of the stands on 15 and one of the Marshalls saw my Paw and calmly said, " Roll Tide.........Gentlemen" . To me, the Gentlemen at the end made it respectful.......

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach"

Apr 22, 2016, 11:26 PM

I know I've ticked off some of y'all, but that's the only comeback I could think of.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach"

Apr 22, 2016, 11:30 PM

Good one. I am a Clemson-educated teacher, and I am not offended.

that saying is not meant for teachers. Teachers are doers

Apr 24, 2016, 1:32 AM

professors "teach" except most don't do that much of it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was introduced to a UT professor today....

Apr 22, 2016, 11:46 PM

He probably thought he was witty. Reply: "Thank you for your sentiment. Going to a University with academic standards is hard work but I enjoyed the challenge. Not everyone is so fortunate." "Bless your heart" fits well at the beginning or the end.

I would have said " no need to be sorry at all vol"

Apr 23, 2016, 12:11 AM

'We are happy with the best QB and RB from Tennessee of course Tee Higgins would make us real sorry, Sir'.

My vet for our horses is a big Tennessee fan also, I just went ahead and keep things real peaceful until My daughter got the bill. I love that princess so much I will eat crow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Apr 23, 2016, 12:16 AM

Was it Howard Hall, by chance?

Apr 23, 2016, 1:02 AM

No, he was in science but not nuclear.

When people are that direct, I give it back. "Why?"

Apr 23, 2016, 3:36 AM

asked directly with eye contact is my method. There's a time and place for ribbing.. the first words in an introduction is not it.

null

^^^This is true! Underrated post!^^^ +1

Apr 24, 2016, 3:29 AM

Exactly! If you're first words twoard/to me are demeaning or have a negative connotation about me, I'm going to respond as I see fit. I understand it isn't the most mature thing, but I don't like to hear talk about my Tigers like a second rate school, such as USuCk (Athletic or Academic).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's okay, I won't hold it against you"***

Apr 23, 2016, 3:49 AM

Clemson

I think I would just say "I'm not" and see how he responds

Apr 23, 2016, 4:30 AM

to that

Re: I think I would just say "I'm not" and see how he responds

Apr 23, 2016, 6:36 AM

I am liking the direct approach you and Soywalker have suggested. I will remember that for future reference!

I am really enjoying all the potential replies. +1 for all.

We don't have sorry people at Clemson...

Apr 23, 2016, 5:31 AM

that must be why you don't teach there!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2016, 6:08 AM

I would have told him...Yep you sure are Sorry...."A Sorry C0cksucker" or "A Sorry VolunQueer"

Message was edited by: pwr333®

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Apr 23, 2016, 6:14 AM

" Are you sorry for being a Vol educator , or for having to recieve your education there ? "

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 23, 2016, 6:41 AM

And so is your school!

Apr 23, 2016, 7:05 AM

I like this one the best.......but another may be "LOVE means never having to say I'm sorry!"

Apr 23, 2016, 7:40 AM

You could always take the George Costanza approach " I had sex with your wife" hth :)

Go Tigers........Fight Big Cat

This reply is classic based on who started this thread

Apr 23, 2016, 7:53 AM

Maybe a better reply from a woman back to the UT professor would simply be "I had sex with your husband." :)

Re: This reply is classic based on who started this thread

Apr 23, 2016, 7:59 AM

" Ohhhh , UT , eh ?
Tell me , have you ever been in a training room alone , with Peyton Manning ? "

DB23

Apr 23, 2016, 7:58 AM

Everyone in the south knows EXACTLY what 'Bless your heart' means, and you nailed it.

Rivalries are fun when you can have fun with them, and this actually sounds like it was all in fun (but you were there and are the one to judge from the 'non verbals').

BTW: one of my bosses is a UT grad - and we have fun with it - but the one he 'hates' is when people bring up our similar school colors, and I point out that UT's orange is pretty much the same color as prison unis...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Apr 23, 2016, 1:24 PM

I think it was mostly meant in fun; however, I was surprised by it because we were talking education and not sports. It did cause me to give him a raised eyebrow.

I have very much enjoyed many of the potential responses. ?? You all always succeed in making me laugh.

Apr 23, 2016, 8:00 AM

"You certainly are because if you weren't so sorry you could get a job at a quality institution of higher learning."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Apr 23, 2016, 8:09 AM

You nailed it TLT. Great response when many would have been caught flat footed. A response that offends can be dangerous to someone you don't know. Like someone else said.....I have never heard "Bless your heart" used in a complimentary way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

" so you do remember that Peach Bowl?..... Great game...."

Apr 23, 2016, 8:19 AM

You did great for a spur of the moment response.

Another response if you really wanted to be direct would be

" you must be VERY proud of the recent press about your football team ...looks like Butch is making respectful young men there.....oh, and how is Peyton Manning holding up?"

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

I was taught to always show respect to earn respect ...

Apr 23, 2016, 8:31 AM

Obviously this UT prof showed you no respect so IMHO, all replies are in play.

So "Fawk off ### hole" would be one that comes to mind in a pinch.

"Yes, you are sorry."**

Apr 23, 2016, 8:52 AM

nm

As many have noted, your response was solid...

Apr 23, 2016, 9:15 AM

It's hard to field a snub, even in jest, when it comes out of right field. I'm also willing to bet this prof was over 40 ... as such, the notion of blindly poking fun at Clemson is deeply ingrained in bigger (though not better) Southern schools.

If, indeed, it was a light-hearted jest, delivered in passing, equally light deflating of the other's jab is the best bet. For Tennessee folks something along this line usually works:

They say, "So you're a Clemson grad/fan? I'm so sorry."

You reply, "Yep it's a tall order to wear the right shade of orange, but we persevere."

In saying thus, you have not directly insulted the person or your friend, but you have made it clear a similar disdain for all things Vol.and your rightful pride in being a Tiger. Also,using the word "persevere" means you're educated enough to take this buffoon on if he persists.

If the opponent is smart, they'll either drop that line of jabbing or retreat by saying something positive about last year's team. This offers you the opportunity to be gracious as well and move on.

If, however, they wish to continue this line of collegiate one-upmanship, just give them the raised eyebrow "Do you REALLY want to go there?" look. From academics (Top 50 for Clemson, Top 200 for UT) to number of athlete arrests (hey, they call it the Fulmer Cup for a reason!) it would get very ugly...almost as ugly as a Tennessee Orange shirt!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I spent a decade+ in East Tennessee and just returned...

Apr 23, 2016, 12:23 PM

to the upstate a couple years ago. I had no trouble with the Vols because I knew more about their football program than they.

Remind them we half tracked them in the Peach Bowl in 2004, 27-14. Then remind them Fulmer won an SEC championship, NC and they fired him. Then they hired Lane Kiffin and laugh at them about their orange being faded from the tears of embarrassment Kiffin caused in Knoxville.

Tell them the UcheaT fans are fulfillment of at least two Biblical prophesies, 'a fool and his money will soon part,' and 'there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.'

If they ask where Clemson is tell them it's between UT and Harvard just way closer to Harvard than it is to UT.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ask him if he wants to compare W2s.

Apr 23, 2016, 12:32 PM

Then, apologize that you have none.

With a sheepish look, setting him up for what he believes as his verbal jab victory...

Show your last filed 1065 return.

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

"Bless your heart" is cold. Brutal actually. He has no idea

Apr 23, 2016, 12:33 PM

bless his heart...

+1

Apr 23, 2016, 2:05 PM

I think you had the perfect response! Way to represent with class.

Apr 23, 2016, 2:26 PM

I would have said, "I agree with you sir, you are indeed SORRY!"

Apr 23, 2016, 4:01 PM

You could say, "Yes, you are."

Apr 23, 2016, 9:14 PM

Oh... did you fart? I didn't even notice, but thanks for the apology.**

theres only 1 UT and it certainly ain't in Knoxville***

Apr 23, 2016, 10:08 PM

Re: theres only 1 UT and it certainly ain't in Knoxville***

Apr 23, 2016, 10:38 PM

This is a good one! Lol

Number 1: UT is Texas

Apr 24, 2016, 12:18 AM

number 2: UT is Texas

How about F-U coot***

Apr 24, 2016, 1:31 AM

Apr 24, 2016, 7:20 AM

Well bless your heart and thank you for sharing that but I prefer to form my own opinion of people.

Respond "You well may BE sorry, I haven't known you long

Apr 24, 2016, 8:07 PM

enough to make that judgement yet."

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic