Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was there a season more frustrating than 2006?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Was there a season more frustrating than 2006?

May 3, 2019, 2:28 PM

Lose in week 2 at BC in 2-OT in a game we were clearly superior on some of the dumbest coaching decisions and worst special teams ive ever seen.

Beat #9 FSU in Tallahassee the next week

Rip off 6 straight wins, including the Gaines Adams-blocked FG led comeback at Wake Forest, and culminating in the Georgia Tech College Gameday CJ Spiller Juke Game which we dominate 31-7

Crack the Top 10 in time to go on the road on Thursday Night and only score 1 TD in a loss at VT

Come home the next week and LOSE TO MARYLAND 13-12

2 Weeks later ###### defeat from the jaws of victory against South Carolina at home (WHERE IS REGGIE TOMMY? WHERE IS HE?)

Lose to Kentucky in the Music City Bowl

8-5 (5-3)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.***

May 3, 2019, 2:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Was there a season more frustrating than 2006?

May 3, 2019, 2:38 PM

Now remove your nipple-clamps for god sakes man!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2004 is close

May 3, 2019, 2:43 PM

At # 15 took 2OT for us to beat Wake
GT - Muff and Megatron TD. They scored 3 TD's in the final 4 minutes. Start of 4 consecutive losses. (T&AM, FSU, UVA)
Beat Utah St, Ralph Friedgen's Turtles, and NCST
THEN, go to Miami and beat #11 team in the country
THEN......lose to DUKE!
THEN.......beat/brawl with the Coots.

Season many pumpers, turned to dumpers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2004 Thats a good one***

May 3, 2019, 2:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

To add context, we had finished 2003 with the beatdown of #3

May 3, 2019, 2:56 PM [ in reply to 2004 is close ]

FSU, Dook, 63-17, and a win over a Top 10 Tennessee team in the bowl game so we we're riding high going into that season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2019, 2:44 PM

Yes. I would say 2007 was worse. Granted we beat SC but 3 pts at GT and then short against BC for the first glimpse of a chance for a ACC game... 2000 both refreshing and disturbing... and a sign of things to come.

But 1998 was the worst for me. Everyone knew West was a goner but losing to Wake, UVA, Duke, and UNCheat was completely and totally unacceptable. Should have been fired after Wake (like his successor) to at least give folks a reason not to watch basketball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was in TigerBand at the time, so I can confirm...

May 3, 2019, 2:47 PM

That season SUCKED!!!!

I think you left out the part:

May 3, 2019, 2:50 PM

GT played WF for the ACCCG. It was particularly depressing that we couldn't win enough games to make the ACCCG when we could beat the teams that managed to make it.

May 3, 2019, 2:52 PM

This could be said about almost any year under Bowden.

May 3, 2019, 3:02 PM

I was at that USuC game and remember Jad taking the heat for missing that field goal. It was TB who pulled RM, that was the problem!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

With Great news today (Bowman), currently the reigning

May 3, 2019, 3:03 PM

national champs, 15 game winning streak and you are thinking about something that happened 13 years ago. ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'07 and '08 were worse in my memory.

May 3, 2019, 3:04 PM

2007: We come into the BC matchup against Matt Ryan and Co with the Atlantic Division Title on the line. That was the first time we had EVER been in a position to win the Division--winner goes to the ACCCG. We had reeled off 4 straight wins, it was going to be a night game in DV. That was the most excited I can remember being for a game.

It was a close, hard-fought game and we had the lead in the 4th quarter then Matt Ryan has a magical escape from pressure and throws a long TD with less than 2 mins left to take a 3-point lead. The Tigers get the ball back and Aaron Kelly gets open on a long throw for the game-winning TD and the ball sails through his outstretched hands. Tigers attempted a long FG to tie that fell harmlessly in front of the end zone.

Maybe that whole season wasn't as disappointing but that's the worst I've ever felt after a game.

2008: We return starting QB, Davis and Spiller, Jacoby Ford, Aaron Kelly, etc. Pre-season #10. Get DESTROYED by Bama in the GA Dome, then
lose to Maryland in inexplicable Tommy Bowden fashion, then follow it up with an all-time stinker on the road on a Thursday night in Winston-Salem.

You all know the silver lining of that season was getting Dabo but at the time, #### that was a bad year....

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here's a Jad Dean throwback

May 3, 2019, 3:04 PM

https://youtu.be/XzH_gaarVKg

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Yes

May 3, 2019, 3:09 PM

The 1976 season with Red Parker was painful. I should have known after the first game, a 10 to 7 victory over El Cid (1-0), that this year could get ugly. Georgia came to Death Vally the next week and kicked our be-hind 41 to zip (1-1). We tied Tech the next week 24 to 24 (1-1-1). Went to Tennessee and got cheated out of that game 19 to 21 (1-2-1). Go to Wake and drop another one 14 to 20 (1-3-1). Duke comes to Tigertown and ties the Tigers 18 to18 (1-3-2). Head to Raleigh and drop another one to the Wolf Pack 21 to 38 (1-4-2). Head down to Tallahassee to play a bad independent Semihole Team an remarkably win 15 to 12 (2-4-2). Only to lose the next two weeks at home to the Tarholes 23-27 (2-5-2) and at the Turtles 0 to 20 (2-6-2). We’re now 0-4-1 in conference play, with only one game left that could even begin to salvage anything of the 76 season. And yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus as the Tigers whip the Capons 28-9 (3-6-2). Thank goodness this would be the last year of Red Parker.
This is what football frustration looks like!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic