Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo is smart, IMHO, to resist the urge to do politics
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Dabo is smart, IMHO, to resist the urge to do politics

Jun 3, 2020, 12:02 PM

I honestly admire Dabo's continued stance on events going on within the country: he won't take more than a very measured position. He continues to state that his team's own unity and love for another is his statement.

That's incredibly wise, IMHO, even if everyone would love for him to get out and advocate - for whatever position they themselves happen to hold, that is.

But Dabo's being really smart to resist that pressure, because taking a position - any position! - would by definition alienate the other side and defeat what he's trying to do - which is build a bubble around his players in which they exist for one another and the school, and also around the football program that serves as such a unifying force for everyone in the University and greater Clemson community.

Being a dedicated non-partisan in such highly charged partisan times is tough...but I admire Dabo for continuing to do it even as others - especially rival coaches - continue to lob peanuts from the cheap seats. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Dave Doeren.) And I strongly suspect all of this will show up when the team comes back together...because both the team and the fan base are going to be able to come back together again this Fall...even as, I suspect, a lot of others aren't going to be able to. You went to places like Maryland or even NC State (again, yeah, I'm looking at you, Dave Doeren) and you were likely as not to catch a battery in the face...and that was before all the current crazy started.

One thing I know is, it doesn't matter at all what my politics are, I go to a Clemson tailgate and it is, first and foremost, a Clemson tailgate. And because of what Dabo does - and doesn't do - the odds are far greater it'll remain that way.

And I am extremely thankful for that. Can you imagine trying to deal with this fall...without Clemson football remaining Clemson football?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo is smart, IMHO, to resist the urge to do politics

Jun 3, 2020, 12:15 PM

I am going to make a prediction that Dabo is going to lose a small amount of freedom to keep things "in house". Since Clemson Football is the Flagship of the University, i suspect President Clements is going to require that some things that could conceivably affect the University as a whole be reported to his office in a very timely matter...It is commonly called "protecting your a33"...And we all do that...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 1:43 PM

Don't give up the day job!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 3:11 PM

Ain't you cute...SMA

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 3:29 PM

witty, unflappable, and modest as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 7:13 PM

Let's wait a few days and see what happens...You don't have a comeback, just a "oh, Dabo, lift your left leg up so i can get to the other one."...

I try to stay clear talking politics and religion. You can

Jun 3, 2020, 12:21 PM

lose a friend real quick if they are on a different side than you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We knew that once Dabo released a statement

Jun 3, 2020, 1:01 PM

On George Floyd to appease the vultures he would be ridiculed by the outsiders. And as predicted he was verbally pummeled the day of its release. His message resonated with Love and Respect for every black person, especially his athletes that he comes in contact with. But those bottom feeders of the media did like they always do and turned a positive message into their personal "Talking Points" to attack Dabo for what "he didn't say!" Kudos to Coach for having the fortitude to say what he means and able to accept the harsh backlash publicly.

Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan always got dogged for this

Jun 3, 2020, 1:20 PM

approach as well. Politics only pits you against someone else. So the moment you start getting political , as a public figure, is the moment you end up with a second job and a second set of questions to answer post game, or as we see now, in the off-season. ITs a waste of time, doesn't help anyone, and creates stress. So avoid it like the plague Dabo.

Totally agree with OP and with your response

Jun 3, 2020, 1:24 PM

This trait is something I most admire in athletes or public figures, particularly retired ones, but active, too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2020, 2:04 PM

That's the thing. Dabo DOESN'T avoid politics. He speaks passionately about them. So he can't conveniently not speak about stuff when its difficult.

Its real funny how people go on and on about how they don't want politics with their sports. They really on say it though when the politics doesn't agree with theirs.

You should never try to play a game which has no rules

Jun 3, 2020, 3:44 PM

and can't be won.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic